Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Sale/Event (Searing Plague) is now live:

Comments

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    OrangeBoy said:
    Just found out I was IP banned after trying to create a new account after almost a year to activate a free package from some friends that are still in their community.

Why? Because I had a friend on discord tell me about some promises Caspian made to some high-rollers for extra packages and items (EP and etc) that were given away free by him (Caspian) to those he favored personally and to those he thought were good suck-ups and tried to "placate" the community. My friend was a direct beneficiary but decided to tell me anyway since he's extremely aggravated at the recent plague event, and the lack of progress such as the map voting. When I brought this up to Serpentius on Discord, I got the ban hammer.

For the sake of the person who let me on this little secret, I won't say his name (unless he grows tired of the non-existent development and lets me post discord screen shots).

But I will say this: Caspian, I have another PC, and 2/3 alt accs offered to me by some of the community members over there that acquired them through your event. So I hope to see you in Elyria when it launches, you clown.  ;)

edit: I dare Serpentius or Caspian to challenge me on my claims above, I'd love to spoil your month.
    You have screen shots of your friend telling you on discord about something the devs allegedly did? Hardly sounds like proof of anything...
    Tbh alot of that post is a bit off, 

Ip banned, ok just disconnect from WiFi on your phone and make a new account. 

My friend told me that he heard that caspian said... 

He has another PC - well it will still use the same external ip address unless he uses the above method.

Alt accounts from other members, I doubt since when he was actually a member of the community barely anyone liked him so I doubt this. (he was banned not long before I stopped following the game closely).
    Now don't get me wrong I have accounts I have/intend to give to people I don't know that well, but that's because they were free and the people I have offered whilst sceptical have shown an interest in the game if it releases.

Tldr

I call bull
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited September 2018
    OrangeBoy said:

But I will say this: Caspian, I have another PC, and 2/3 alt accs offered to me by some of the community members over there that acquired them through your event. So I hope to see you in Elyria when it launches, you clown.  ;)

Joke's on you.  The game is most likely never going to launch.
    Slapshot1188KyleranWellspring
    OrangeBoy said:

Nah jokes on me, I actually kick-startered this game.... 
    One of my only ever kick-starter.... 

Free accounts are never a joke, if the game releases you get to try it for free so... 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    OrangeBoy said:
    Just found out I was IP banned after trying to create a new account after almost a year to activate a free package from some friends that are still in their community.

Why? Because I had a friend on discord tell me about some promises Caspian made to some high-rollers for extra packages and items (EP and etc) that were given away free by him (Caspian) to those he favored personally and to those he thought were good suck-ups and tried to "placate" the community. My friend was a direct beneficiary but decided to tell me anyway since he's extremely aggravated at the recent plague event, and the lack of progress such as the map voting. When I brought this up to Serpentius on Discord, I got the ban hammer.

For the sake of the person who let me on this little secret, I won't say his name (unless he grows tired of the non-existent development and lets me post discord screen shots).

edit: I dare Serpentius or Caspian to challenge me on my claims above, I'd love to spoil your month.
    If, and I am saying a large IF, here, they banned you via IP, IP is something that is set by your service provider, not your computer, so unless you also plan to get your internet access from another source, you will be banned, and anyone who uses your internet access will also be banned.

Just saying.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

AnOldFart said:
    OrangeBoy said:

Free accounts are never a joke, if the game releases you get to try it for free so... 
    Do they get a Free "Spark of Life" or just a "Free Account" and still need to buy a spark of life?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Ungood said:
    AnOldFart said:
    OrangeBoy said:

Do they get a Free "Spark of Life" or just a "Free Account" and still need to buy a spark of life?
    It is a free Elyrian account which comes with one spark.
    They sold these for $45 which is why many are very pissed off.
    It will be very interesting to see how many accounts were created.  All we have so far are anecdotal evidence which points to a small number (hundreds) of new players and a massive number (thousands) of alt accounts being made.

I think this totally caught them by surprise. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2018
    Ungood said:
    AnOldFart said:
    OrangeBoy said:

It will be very interesting to see how many accounts were created.  All we have so far are anecdotal evidence which points to a small number (hundreds) of new players and a massive number (thousands) of alt accounts being made.

What is the harm from thousands of extra alt accounts? Likely some (many?) will be given to friends and family which just increases the player base.

I guess some can/will be used for subversive purpose, but that was going to happen regardless.

As for people who "donated" $45 previously they have an opportunity to multiply their original investment several times over so no real harm or foul.

All a moot point really until a game actually is built/ launched.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    AnOldFart said:
    OrangeBoy said:

What is the harm from thousands of extra alt accounts? Likely some (many?) will be given to friends and family which just increases the player base.

I guess some can/will be used for subversive purpose, but that was going to happen regardless.

As for people who "donated" $45 previously they have an opportunity to multiply their original investment several times over so no real harm or foul.

If you paid $45 for an account, and the game was still a year (to be kind) from launch, and now that same package was being given away for free you wouldn’t be annoyed?

craftseeker

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    AnOldFart said:
    OrangeBoy said:

If you paid $45 for an account, and the game was still a year (to be kind) from launch, and now that same package was being given away for free you wouldn’t be annoyed?

Not really, $45 is throw away money in my budget and I don't "buy" things in crowd funded games, I 'donate' money to see them built or give them a try early.

As I said, those who paid $45 previously just received a good opportunity to get like what, easily 5 to 10 more accounts?

Perhaps the issue is they could be earned by anyone regardless of previous purchase? Then I could understand some being upset.

Easy solution is for Caspian to give those folks who actually paid cash something of value, perhaps a premium spark or something.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2018
    Kyleran said:

Not really, $45 is throw away money in my budget and I don't "buy" things in crowd funded games, I 'donate' money to see them built or give them a try early.

As I said, those who paid $45 previously just received a good opportunity to get like what, easily 5 to 10 more accounts?

Perhaps the issue is they could be earned by anyone regardless of previous purchase? Then I could understand some being upset.

Easy solution is for Caspian to give those folks who actually paid cash something of value, perhaps a premium spark or something.

Usually crowdfunding is a two-way arrangement: People who back early take a huge risk of losing all their money when they support the game. In exchange the dev makes sure that no-one will get a better deal than them until after the game is launched.

Now CoE devs have broken their end of that unwritten agreement: We take your money and let you take the risk, but others get our best deal.
    Slapshot1188Ungood

edited September 2018
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:

Usually crowdfunding is a two-way arrangement: People who back early take a huge risk of losing all their money when they support the game. In exchange the dev makes sure that no-one will get a better deal than them until after the game is launched.

Now CoE devs have broken their end of that unwritten agreement: We take your money and let you take the risk, but others get our best deal.
    Not only our best deal, but literally made the game F2P for roughly the first year for anyone that wants to participate in the event (which still runs to the 14th).  With all the negatives that come along with it in a FFA PvP game with looting...

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited September 2018
    Kyleran said:

For a buy-to-play game, the harm from extra free accounts is that every free account given out is one potentially less account that is purchased at launch, instead.  Therefore less revenue for the company.

Like you said, though, it's a moot point if the game isn't launched.  It's also a (rather) moot point if the game has a pay-to-win heavily monetized cash shop where the majority of the revenues come from rather than box sales.  Both of these possibilities, contrary to what CoE fans believe, are very very high.
    KyleranAnOldFart
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:

I have to agree with this.

No one should get a better deal then the founders/backers.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Tiamat64 said:
    Kyleran said:

For a buy-to-play game, the harm from extra free accounts is that every free account given out is one potentially less account that is purchased at launch, instead.  Therefore less revenue for the company.

Like you said, though, it's a moot point if the game isn't launched.  It's also a (rather) moot point if the game has a pay-to-win heavily monetized cash shop where the majority of the revenues come from rather than box sales.  Both of these possibilities, contrary to what CoE fans believe, are very very high.
    Well, the only reason CoE fans may not believe the second one is because Caspian himself stated that there would be no cash shop after the exposition phase (3 month early access). 
    --------------------------------------------
    Tiamat64 said:
    Kyleran said:

Well, the only reason CoE fans may not believe the second one is because Caspian himself stated that there would be no cash shop after the exposition phase (3 month early access). 
    Sometimes things change, despite a person's best intentions.

Ungood said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:

I'm a bit unclear still what the better deal was or is.

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:

People who wanted to play the game paid $45 to buy a basic account. Game has not launched yet... not even Player Alpha.  Now that exact same account is gotten for free through the event.  If you and I get the exact same product and you pay $45 and I pay $0 it’s beyond debate that I got a better deal.

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:

People who wanted to play the game paid $45 to buy a basic account. Game has not launched yet... not even Player Alpha.  Now that exact same account is gotten for free through the event.  If you and I get the exact same product and you pay $45 and I pay $0 it’s beyond debate that I got a better deal.
    As I previously said, in this case give those folks who paid cash a premium spark pack or something.
    UngoodAnOldFart

Tiamat64 said:

Yeesh, given that Star Citizen's development had been going on for some time by the time CoE's crowdfunding first began, you'd think people would have realized by now that MMORPG crowd-funding promises exist to be broken.
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:

Well in this case.

If someone can get an account for free, and someone else had to pay 45 for the exact same account, it looks like the person that paid money got shafted.

But that is just perceptions.

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:

As I previously said, in this case give those folks who paid cash a premium spark pack or something.
    I agree, they should be given "something" .. but right now, they aren't.

As far as I know.

Just saying in this case, if I had been backer, outside everything else, this would have pissed me off.

It's not been said they won't get something, my money is on them being offered something extra if they participated in the event
    Kyleran
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Thousands of free alt accounts sounds devastating to the economy if they live up to their promise of accounts staying logged in, working,  and scriptable while the human/client is logged out.

With their soul "loot box" system it also means more chances to get soul with favorable leveling rates on the skills you want.  Basically each soul's total past skill levels increases leveling rates, and their soul loot box system adds those skills randomly rather than zero.

___ 

So there are effects to the game if it ever releases.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

And so the Event/Sale ends:

@here Congratulations on successfully containing this outbreak of the Searing Plague! Thanks to your efforts the plague will fade - mostly - into memory; its mark felt more in the stories and advances that it created than in the terrible cost of the plague itself. Read the conclusion here: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/26893/The-Searing-Plague

edited September 2018
    Woo.  No plague bio for the players.  I imagine that the developers (should they happen to exist) of CoE are celebrating the lack of increased workload as they quietly shuffle the actual results of the event under the rug.
    anemo