Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scum Hands On - Staying Alive Isn't Easy - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageScum Hands On - Staying Alive Isn't Easy - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

Just barely a week after launch, SCUM has succeeded in bringing players the DayZ we've always wanted, to an extent. SCUM is a survival multiplayer/single player first person shooter. You have to eat and drink, you also have to urinate and do number 2 every now and then. Staying alive isn't always easy, but hey, what fun would it be if it were easy?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    The Poop and Pee system has me interested , Its the ultimate immersion in gaming
    Tyseriechocolate42069SpottyGekkoOzmodanMensurScotSamhaelGnog
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They couldn't have picked a better name then SCUM? You can tell when a new game didn't have a marketing department.
    Tyseriechocolate42069Ozmodaneddieg50

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    "{Y]ou also have to urinate and do number 2 every now and then." OMFG. How stupidly gross. Do female avatars menstruate? Can you pick your nose? How about farting? Maybe masturbating? This game was made for middle schoolers. I will never touch this game.
    OzmodanMensurGnogbobbymcswansonTheScavengermmolou

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Another early access game is not the DayZ I always wanted. Talk to me again when the game is fully launched.
    --------------------------------------------
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Amathe said:
    "{Y]ou also have to urinate and do number 2 every now and then." OMFG. How stupidly gross. Do female avatars menstruate? Can you pick your nose? How about farting? Maybe masturbating? This game was made for middle schoolers. I will never touch this game.
    They wouldn't get past mid-game mechanics xD

Simulation is simulation, it just makes more or less sense depending on the game.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    This is a flat out kids game.  Even my teenagers think it infantine.  Some do enjoy it I suppose, but be realistic this game is about as low brow as you can get.

JeffSpicoliTheScavengerAtaaka
    Amathe said:
    Sounds fun , Count me In !!!

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

I just wanted to let everyone know with my last post i went epic ie purple name now, so I'm kind of a big deal.....
    AmatheScotMadFrenchieKumaponGnogConstantineMerusdjnj2000Panther2103
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    I'm a little confused.....

The map is huge and you've only come across 2 other players.

But....

You don't expect everyone to come across to have some decked out guns.

Are you suggesting that both people you ran into did, and based on that sample size, that everyone has those guns? Or are you just suggesting that the military zones have too many guns?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

thunderC said:

I just wanted to let everyone know with my last post i went epic ie purple name now, so I'm kind of a big deal.....

Even a blind sow finds a truffle.

J/k congrats man.
    bobbymcswansonJeffSpicoli

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    thunderC said:
    I expect to see a thread about your time on the boards, congrats! :)
    JeffSpicoli
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    thunderC said:
    Amathe said:
    Sounds fun , Count me In !!!

Look at those cheeks jiggle...  What a travesty.
    JeffSpicoli

• bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204

Amathe said:

thunderC said:

Even a blind sow finds a truffle.

J/k congrats man.

Probably the worst saying ever....truffles are found by their smell...you can't see something underground....
    JeffSpicoli
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645

thunderC said:

The Poop and Pee system has me interested , Its the ultimate immersion in gaming

Only if we can fling it at other players.

I play games to get away from real life
    kenguru23
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    The ultimate meta, pooping in a game while you have your laptop on your lap and pooping in real life.
    JeffSpicoli
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Can you see the character actually defecate and see your character actually pee? Or is there no graphics for that?

Asking for my friend

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    I wonder how much a roll of charmin will make on the auction house.
    Ataaka
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I find the "survival" aspect of most games just annoying. Some are not as bad as others, temperature issues do not annoy me as much as looking out for food and water for example. But the more they stack up, the more the "game" is about fulling such criteria the more cheesed of I get.

It reminds me of playing The Sims, the reason I gave up on that game was they were more like pets than avatars, constantly needing attention. And Scum features the need to go to the loo...whoppee!

OzmodanAtaaka
    DMKano said:

Scot said:

I find the "survival" aspect of most games just annoying. Some are not as bad as others, temperature issues do not annoy me as much as looking out for food and water for example. But the more they stack up, the more the "game" is about fulling such criteria the more cheesed of I get.

It reminds me of playing The Sims, the reason I gave up on that game was they were more like pets than avatars, constantly needing attention. And Scum features the need to go to the loo...whoppee!

It's like these early access survival game devs never learn.
    They've learned how to make money, I'll tell you that.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    It is better than a battle royal clone
    Ozmodan
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213
    From what I see, the developers are working really hard to deliver a finished product where bugs are minimal and nonexistent.

Having said that, the game is a fresh view of zombie apocalyptic survival. I do not feel that it is anything to do with DAYZ and I hope people stop saying that about SCUM. It is in Early Release, where they are getting revenue to continue working on the game. I just hope that thinking with diversity will allow SCUM to climb above and beyond anything we have today.

The game stands on it's own in spite of some obvious concerns with digestive cycles, nutrition needs and other quirky mechanics that are simply too cumbersome to even enjoy the game's beautiful graphics.

Scot said:

I find the "survival" aspect of most games just annoying.

After only three hours of play, I feel like this is not the go-to game for satisfying my need to kill some zombies nor PVP.

Unrealistic nutrition needs coupled with unrealistic zombie detachment is enough to make me shake my head with disapproval. You cannot have realistic nutrition with unrealistic weapon damage, for instance.

In the game, if I eat an apple I expect to poop or need to eat another apple in fifteen minutes. In real life, an apple would last at least an hour. Due to work, play, travel or other real life inconveniences, eating is not that demanding.

In real life, hitting most humans or humanoids with a shovel will knock them off-balance or off their feet. Here, in SCUM, damage with melee weapons is shrugged-off as it it were an annoying mosquito buzzing near the face.

"Too much of this and not enough of that" is a common turn-off.

I would back way the hell up on forcing granular nutrition and digestive cycles. I would add more realistic damage while using melee weapons (including fist fights). I would add a realistic rest mechanic.

Provide a means of crafting structure reinforcement items like window and door barricades.

Continue listening to your customers.

Ataaka -because my real time is not paid for

• AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213
    O.o I didn't know you could or even should chop-up a zombie for food, quite interesting and yet another unrealistic fact that should not exist due to the potential of ingesting something bacterial.