Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battlefied V censors "white man" in chat lol.

2»

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2018
    I was going to buy the game. Now I am not sure.
    I mean if you are basing your decision off of a really weird chat filter that seems broken, sure. 

Or you could just sign up for the origin premium thing for 15 bucks the week the game comes out and play the game for a month and see if you like it. 
    I am a big fan of the series. I spent a lot of time playing Desert Combat and BF 2.

If the censorship of "white man" is a bug then I do not care about it. However, if not, then I would not want to support this philosophy with my money. It is a matter of principle, not a price tag.
    Considering words like DLC and computer part names were also filtered, I'm not sure what philosophy they'd be trying to push with intent behind this.  The anti-software, anti-hardware SJWs?
    You mean if they keep "white man" filtered post launch it is alright since they have also filtered "DLC"? 
    I am saying that it would take a tinfoil-suit-of-armor level of conspiracy theorizing to submit this is an SJW attempt to control speech considering the other words being reportedly blocked.  Words or phrases like "DLC" and hardware part names are inconsistent with any kind of censorship goal, including the spectre of the SJW so many like to invoke for pretty much any reason at all.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I mean if you are basing your decision off of a really weird chat filter that seems broken, sure. 

Or you could just sign up for the origin premium thing for 15 bucks the week the game comes out and play the game for a month and see if you like it. 
    I am a big fan of the series. I spent a lot of time playing Desert Combat and BF 2.

If the censorship of "white man" is a bug then I do not care about it. However, if not, then I would not want to support this philosophy with my money. It is a matter of principle, not a price tag.
    Considering words like DLC and computer part names were also filtered, I'm not sure what philosophy they'd be trying to push with intent behind this.  The anti-software, anti-hardware SJWs?
    You mean if they keep "white man" filtered post launch it is alright since they have also filtered "DLC"? 
    I am saying that it would take a tinfoil-suit-of-armor level of conspiracy theorizing to submit this is an SJW attempt to control speech considering the other words being reportedly blocked.  Words or phrases like "DLC" and hardware part names are inconsistent with any kind of censorship goal, including the spectre of the SJW so many like to invoke for pretty much any reason at all.
    Leave all the conspiracies aside; do you think it is fine if they keep "white man" filtered post launch?
    JeffSpicoli
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited September 2018

Leave all the conspiracies aside; do you think it is fine if they keep "white man" filtered post launch?
    No.  I think it's a lazy attempt at appropriate censorship.

"White man" itself isn't a harmful phrase.  But it isn't that simple, of course.  "DEATH TO THE WHITE MAN!" is a much different message than "Donald Trump is a white man." I could see the phrase "DEATH TO THE WHITE MAN" being censored.  "White man" being excluded as a phrase by itself is just a lazy way to prevent the true message worthy of being censored from displaying in-game.
    Panther2103vanderghast

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

"White man" itself isn't a harmful phrase.  But it isn't that simple, of course.  "DEATH TO THE WHITE MAN!" is a much different message than "Donald Trump is a white man." I could see the phrase "DEATH TO THE WHITE MAN" being censored.  "White man" being excluded as a phrase by itself is just a lazy way to prevent the true message worthy of being censored from displaying in-game.
    In-game or chat client censorship is through words or combination of words, not full on sentences or messages. They choose keywords and filter them. Same as how profanity filters work. So if they keep filtering "white man", is it just lazy censorship? 

Try to apply your logic to other similar examples; such as "black man" or "asian woman". Would you still say it is lazy censorship? I'm gonna take a guess here and say no, you won't. 

In either case no context has been provided. But you've ended up with different answers. Why do you think that is?

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited September 2018

In-game or chat client censorship is through words or combination of words, not full on sentences or messages. They choose keywords and filter them. Same as how profanity filters work. So if they keep filtering "white man", is it just lazy censorship? 

Try to apply your logic to other similar examples; such as "black man" or "asian woman". Would you still say it is lazy censorship? I'm gonna take a guess here and say no, you won't. 

In either case no context has been provided. But you've ended up with different answers. Why do you think that is?
    What?  If "black man", by itself, is censored to avoid the phrase "Death to the black man!", I absolutely would call it lazy.  Because that's what it is.

Systems such as these should balance the effectiveness with the psychological acceptability of the system for its users.  Censoring "white man" itself to avoid the longer, deviant phrase "Death to the white man!" completely ignores psychological acceptability factors to lazily avoid a specific usage of the phrase "white man."  Lazy is lazy, no matter which kind of "man" we're speaking of.

If you're saying I don't know if that's why it was censored, then I agree.  But that's not nearly the same as assuming it's a fucking SJW conspiracy when it also censors random ass shit like "4770k".

What?  If "black man", by itself, is censored to avoid the phrase "Death to the black man!", I absolutely would call it lazy.  Because that's what it is.

Systems such as these should balance the effectiveness with the psychological acceptability of the system for its users.  Censoring "white man" itself to avoid the longer, deviant phrase "Death to the white man!" completely ignores psychological acceptability factors to lazily avoid a specific usage of the phrase "white man."  Lazy is lazy, no matter which kind of "man" we're speaking of.
    So you think if I launch a chat client and filter "black man" and "asian woman" then I'd make the headlines tomorrow as being a very lazy person, eh? 

It seems you and I live in very, very, VERY different worlds mate. 

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited September 2018

My bad.  I was trying to make a general statement, but apparently some people felt they resembled that remark.
    Just a FYI.  It's Resent, not resembled.

Resent means "to despise, to feel offended by, to be angry at", etc.

Resembled means "to be similar to", which.... kinda fits but is much more of a stretch. The original saying was "resent" but somewhere along the line people started misremembering it and used "resemble" instead, probably because they sound similar and "resemble" kinda technically works but fails to convey the "That guy is angry" emotional context that "resent" does.

I guess at least "resemble" vs "resent" makes more context sense than the "rouge" (red) vs "rogue" (thief, D&D class, etc) mistake that so many people keep making, although I'm still surprised it's seeped into the collective conscious so much since "resemble" has an entire extra syllable compared to "resent"
    edited September 2018

So you think if I launch a chat client and filter "black man" and "asian woman" then I'd make the headlines tomorrow as being a very lazy person, eh? 

If your filter included hardware parts and random other words or phrases, I'd be here just the same dispelling the SJW myths by pointing out the inconsistencies of the filter.

As for media coverage, this has been covered by multiple news sites.  However, as I've hinted at, the censorship is so all over the place that no author appears to be trying to make heads or tails of it.  Rightfully so: "eat" is censored, but "damn" isn't.  There's not sense or method here that adheres to any rational logic, and that has nothing to do with one particular phrase it happens to include in its wackiness.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Here I was going to announce during every match that I'm a white man, and they go and pull this shit? Can I at least use "whitey"? 

I mean, I was just so hyped until I saw this. You can't even understand the disappointment!!

JK I was never going to buy this game.

If your filter included hardware parts and random other words or phrases, I'd be here just the same dispelling the SJW myths.
    The basis of our conversation was that they would keep it after launch, hence not being a bug. 

edited September 2018

If your filter included hardware parts and random other words or phrases, I'd be here just the same dispelling the SJW myths.
    The basis of our conversation was that they would keep it after launch, hence not being a bug.

That argument has no true relevance though.  They, by all signs, never intended to keep this for the beta, much less release. 

As for groups using for their own purposes, you're underestimating these groups.  Those who seek to invoke the spectre of SJW (or "deplorables") for everything wrong in society will do so regardless of whether it's "black man" or "white man" being censored.

"Black man" censored?  "SJWs must think race is fluid like gender and don't want anyone getting their feelings hurt for being called a race LOL *high five!*"

"White man" censored?  "SJWs and their PC bullshit taking over everything!!!!1!1!11!11oneoneone"

There's no winning with those on either side who have no interest other than to see their favorite punching bag lose.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    EponyxDamorPanther2103

That argument has no true relevance though.  They, by all signs, never included to keep this for the beta, much less release. 

As for groups using for their own purposes, you're underestimating these groups.  Those who seek to invoke the spectre of SJW (or "deplorables") for everything wrong in society will do so regardless of whether it's "black man" or "white man" being censored.

"Black man" censored?  "SJWs must think race is fluid like gender and don't want anyone getting their feelings hurt for being called a race LOL *high five!*"

"White man" censored?  "SJWs and their PC bullshit taking over everything!!!!1!1!11!11oneoneone"

There's no winning with those on either side who have no interest other than to see their favorite punching bag lose.
    Well mate, you say a lot of other stuff to avoid answering me :) Let's just leave it at that then.

I'm interested in what people in this thread really think about this topic. Not general statements about people in general. 

If you think it's a bug, then there's no further explanation is required. But your explanation sounds like even if it is not a bug then it is alright or not a big deal. 
    JeffSpicoli

edited September 2018

That argument has no true relevance though.  They, by all signs, never included to keep this for the beta, much less release. 

Well mate, you say a lot of other stuff to avoid answering me :) Let's just leave it at that then.

I'm interested in what people in this thread really think about this topic. Not general statements about people in general. 

If you think it's a bug, then there's no further explanation is required. But your explanation sounds like even if it is not a bug then it is alright or not a big deal. 
    I am saying it's a bug because we've already received response from the devs saying so.

If it's not a bug, it's a piss poor attempt at a chat filter.

The adjective before the word man is largely irrelevant in this situation, except for the attempts by some to exaggerate its relevance.

EDIT- I'm unsure how you think I would find it okay if it weren't a bug, considering I made it quite clear I wouldn't think it was okay if it wasn't a bug.  I don't get it- were you expecting me to wax poetic about race cards?  Censoring parts of inflammatory phrases is a lazy way of censoring the inflammatory phrase itself because it imposes censorship not just against the offending phrase, but against perfectly innocuous phrases.
    JeffSpicoli

To sum up: it could've censored the phrase "ice cream man," and it would've made no more or less sense than "white man" in the context of the filter's total performance.  Anyone attempting to submit otherwise either wants it to be something more they can rage at, or doesn't know the details of the situation.
    Ghavrigg

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I'm on the side of it being a bug.

SJWs like to use the term "White Male" anyway. Them banning it wouldn't make sense as they like to use the phrase.

White Man is used by the Native Americans and that's who you should be after. ;)

immodium said:
    I'm on the side of it being a bug.

SJWs like to use the term "White Male" anyway. Them banning it wouldn't make sense as they like to use the phrase.

White Man is used by the Native Americans and that's who you should be after. ;)
    It's either a bug, or EA and DICE are the absolute dumbest parties to ever try and ninja-censor something ever.  When words like eat or DLC are censored, it was only a matter of time before word got out about this inept filter.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This thread seems less like a discussion of anything really and more like an excuse to call people politically charged names like "SJW," "Snowflake," and "PC." I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it has. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Tiamat64 said:

My bad.  I was trying to make a general statement, but apparently some people felt they resembled that remark.
    Just a FYI.  It's Resent, not resembled.

Resent means "to despise, to feel offended by, to be angry at", etc.

Resembled means "to be similar to", which.... kinda fits but is much more of a stretch. The original saying was "resent" but somewhere along the line people started misremembering it and used "resemble" instead, probably because they sound similar and "resemble" kinda technically works but fails to convey the "That guy is angry" emotional context that "resent" does.

I guess at least "resemble" vs "resent" makes more context sense than the "rouge" (red) vs "rogue" (thief, D&D class, etc) mistake that so many people keep making, although I'm still surprised it's seeped into the collective conscious so much since "resemble" has an entire extra syllable compared to "resent"
    I'm aware.  The commonly misused interpretation happened to fit, so I used it.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    thunderC said:
    EA Going full on SJW Retard, Is anyone really surprised here ? 

Found another one guys!
    JeffSpicoli
This discussion has been closed.