Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: It's Not All Perfect...

13»

Comments

  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,168
    I got one of every class to max. Then the expansion hit and changed the playstyle of all my characters. I didn't like the changes, the classes anymore. It didn't feel the same anymore to me.
    Ungood
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 364


    Basically this is yet another "don't get mad at the devs because no one is perfect" articles that basically tries to make excuses for every terrible choice they made. AND there's ALOT! It's not simply that they are a new team and that they made mistakes....hehehehe oh he oh no no no. You see, they stepped WAY WAY past that after the first year.



    Remember folks, this is a team that refuse to balance properly, attacked the playerbase not once but several times on the forums, made excuse after excuse after excuse for terrible management practices, banned long time previously beloved players for speaking out against these practices, banned accounts because some of these previously beloved players (who later became perceived enemies because they didn't stop speaking out against mistreatment of players), went back and focused on removing and making unavailable all of the pre-beta and beta footage and interviews wherein they described the game as everything that we did NOT receive, and finally they made promises in several class forums that they never delivered on and then simply swept these promises under the rug and refused to talk about them.



    These are NOT Innocent developers we're talking about here.



    I agree with all you said just to add when they made the base game free to play I felt very insulted they didn’t give us who bought the game full price at release anything at all .... so for what I payed full price others get for free and no discount for us for expac if I wanted to play the expac had to pay again when new player just payed expac.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Scot said:
    “Finally, and again this could be classified as really nitpicking, but I kind of loathe the Black Lion Store. Maybe I am just spoiled from other games, but I feel like the quality isn’t there?”

    How far have we fallen? Far enough to be talking about the “quality” of cash shops it seems.
    It really has been fascinating to watch. I remember the heated "discussions" at the hint of any cash shop, people on this very site arguing that WoW's star pony was inherently P2W...

    How far, indeed, have we fallen.

    I've wondered if whether in a post-Star Citizen pre-order-or-die world, is there any real discussion on the subject left to be had? Well, yes, yes there is. How good is the quality of your cash shop?

    As for GW2, it's one of the few MMOs I've regretted buying, so I find "not perfect" an impressive understatement.
    Scot
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,954
    There is a great deal to like about GW2. But eventually it stopped holding my interest.

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 2,858
    Amathe said:
    There is a great deal to like about GW2. But eventually it stopped holding my interest.

    I liked a lot of their ideas but the combat was just so effing boring.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,064
    edited September 2018
    Myria said:
    Scot said:
    “Finally, and again this could be classified as really nitpicking, but I kind of loathe the Black Lion Store. Maybe I am just spoiled from other games, but I feel like the quality isn’t there?”

    How far have we fallen? Far enough to be talking about the “quality” of cash shops it seems.
    It really has been fascinating to watch. I remember the heated "discussions" at the hint of any cash shop, people on this very site arguing that WoW's star pony was inherently P2W...

    How far, indeed, have we fallen.

    I've wondered if whether in a post-Star Citizen pre-order-or-die world, is there any real discussion on the subject left to be had? Well, yes, yes there is. How good is the quality of your cash shop?

    As for GW2, it's one of the few MMOs I've regretted buying, so I find "not perfect" an impressive understatement.
    For me the idea you could avoid reading quest text and do the entire game on the basis of a sentence that appeared when you moved into a new area was a betrayal of the genre. So same here one of the two MMOs I have regretted buying.

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,303
    Scorchien said:
     To the contrary it is Perfect ... Perfect Shit ........... BoreWars2 is a terrible erhmmm MMORPG in every conceivable way imo and set the genre back ,Fortunatley we have some up and coming MMORPGs  in development that are steering the genre back on course...

    Luckily the vast majority of successful MMOs are evolving to be better and better and more popular. And definitely a lot of innovation in them.
    Wait what?  MMO's are not getting more popular nor do I think they are getting better.  You have some explaining to do.
  • SideerSideer Member CommonPosts: 6
    MMORPGs are stuck for the past few years, that's for sure. If you have played a few big titles you will probably notice the same mechanics and systems, just different words and design. And we are all hoping that one day some miracle happens and there will be one company that transcends the boring daily quests, lack of end-game content. My best guess is it's coming in the next five years relative with a VR technology.
  • PpiperPpiper Member RarePosts: 1,042
    What I'm noticing about GW2 as I'm leveling up, now 35, is that I seem to feel very detached from the community. I never see the same people twice, each area I quest in is a quick run through, do an event and move on. I am so lost as to where to level next, I keep hopping around the world. I see many in Guilds but have never seen or heard in chat any recruiting. I am now at a point whether to just use my level boost or keep gimping along from where I'm at.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 2,858
    Sideer said:
    MMORPGs are stuck for the past few years, that's for sure. If you have played a few big titles you will probably notice the same mechanics and systems, just different words and design. And we are all hoping that one day some miracle happens and there will be one company that transcends the boring daily quests, lack of end-game content. My best guess is it's coming in the next five years relative with a VR technology.

    It uses the standard format of design but there's Orbus VR which is a VR mmo.  Pretty cool mechanics for classes and such.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member RarePosts: 2,859
    DeadSpock said:


    Basically this is yet another "don't get mad at the devs because no one is perfect" articles that basically tries to make excuses for every terrible choice they made. AND there's ALOT! It's not simply that they are a new team and that they made mistakes....hehehehe oh he oh no no no. You see, they stepped WAY WAY past that after the first year.



    Remember folks, this is a team that refuse to balance properly, attacked the playerbase not once but several times on the forums, made excuse after excuse after excuse for terrible management practices, banned long time previously beloved players for speaking out against these practices, banned accounts because some of these previously beloved players (who later became perceived enemies because they didn't stop speaking out against mistreatment of players), went back and focused on removing and making unavailable all of the pre-beta and beta footage and interviews wherein they described the game as everything that we did NOT receive, and finally they made promises in several class forums that they never delivered on and then simply swept these promises under the rug and refused to talk about them.



    These are NOT Innocent developers we're talking about here.



    I agree with all you said just to add when they made the base game free to play I felt very insulted they didn’t give us who bought the game full price at release anything at all .... so for what I payed full price others get for free and no discount for us for expac if I wanted to play the expac had to pay again when new player just payed expac.
    not much to say just to quit, I quit before HoT and serious don't even bother to play again, and still don't, but last month I did a little check on skills and they are awfull, so not point to ever look back
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,854
    They're working on buffing up some of the classes and now I'm enjoying a new Reaper build.  Back to being effective in shroud again. :smile:

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,775
    edited September 2018
    I enjoy this game, but only in spurts. I can play it for a while then I have to put it down. IMO, the biggest flaw in this game was caused by ANET trying to re-invent the wheel. They were way to Hell bent on creating "Not-WoW". Too many trade offs in their innovation. All the new features ended up introducing as many new issues as the ones they corrected.
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    I enjoy this game, but only in spurts. I can play it for a while then I have to put it down. IMO, the biggest flay in this game was caused by ANET trying to re-invent the wheel. They were so bent on creating "Not-WoW" that they forgot to create "GW2"
    I think what really killed them was they tried very hard to be their own thing.. and then when HoT came out, they tried to turn GW2 into a generic MMO, with role based classes, and it really did the game a disservice.

    In the current market, I believe an MMO needs to find a nitche' and own that sucker.
  • UnbinoUnbino Member UncommonPosts: 33
    How can a vanity Shop be a based shop game? XD it have no sense .
    I have read things like why i should get things by playing when other people Just buy them at the Shop? The Shop things are Just visual with any Kind of staistic xD
    About the dungeons and why they dont upgrade it, you Would Will missing and important chain of the develop character route. Where Would do you get the gear for initiate raids and begin make better your character? Any New player cant afford the price of buy exotic gear to get initiate in lvl 80 content.
    About the meta in spvp, oh common ,do you want to Play your own build and face builds wich have been tested thousand of hours by people who plays a lot spvp xD You Just can test ,and think in it, TEST your own build in normal games. If you Play rankeds Games, obviously the people Will Play the strongest builds and the strongest characters. In all competitives game there is a meta. And of course, if you get initiate in pvp spect to Win every match is not real.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,819
    I enjoy this game, but only in spurts. I can play it for a while then I have to put it down. IMO, the biggest flaw in this game was caused by ANET trying to re-invent the wheel. They were way to Hell bent on creating "Not-WoW". Too many trade offs in their innovation. All the new features ended up introducing as many new issues as the ones they corrected.
    I find that they were so busy trying to be "not-WoW" that they forgot to be Guild Wars. The first game was already "not WoW" and so much more. The first game was already unique to a degree that still hasn't been emulated over a decade later. 
    EvilGeek
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,775
    edited September 2018
    Aeander said:
    I enjoy this game, but only in spurts. I can play it for a while then I have to put it down. IMO, the biggest flaw in this game was caused by ANET trying to re-invent the wheel. They were way to Hell bent on creating "Not-WoW". Too many trade offs in their innovation. All the new features ended up introducing as many new issues as the ones they corrected.
    I find that they were so busy trying to be "not-WoW" that they forgot to be Guild Wars. The first game was already "not WoW" and so much more. The first game was already unique to a degree that still hasn't been emulated over a decade later. 
    But the point I am trying to make is that there were mechanics that worked. They didn't need to be recreated just because someone had already created them. If what was created didn't work, then fine. But What Anet did wasn't that cut and dry. 

    Players got sick of waiting in group finders for tanks and healers. Anet decided all DPS is the way to go. And to a large degree, they created just that. And all DPS dungeon system. It functioned and they got to say they did it. But at the end of the day, it wasn't any better than WoW's Trinity.

    I remember sitting in LA watching chats for COF speed groups. "Heavies Only" "Link Gear" "Know the fights" etc etc. And people still had to wait for runs......so bad someone had to put up 3rd party unofficial web sites just to manage dungeon finders. It was so bad and they couldn't fix it. They completely abandoned dungeons altogether and went back the drawing board and Fractals was their answer.

    And that was the 1st game.

    Maybe they shouldn't have thrown away the whole system. Maybe if they had taken what they knew worked and tweaked it some, found ways to improve on it rather than introducing something completely unknown and with it all new problems, they could have had a much better system than what was out there. Instead we got something different, but not really better.

    I am not saying I disagree with you. Becasue I actually do agree.
    I think they are in a bind right now because they kinda painted themselves into a corner and don't know how to get out. 

    Meaning, they really don't have a solid direction to take this game. And I think they are getting lazy. Elite specs = cookie cutter specs = easier to balance but at the cost of player options for diverse character builds.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,854
    Ppiper said:
    What I'm noticing about GW2 as I'm leveling up, now 35, is that I seem to feel very detached from the community. I never see the same people twice, each area I quest in is a quick run through, do an event and move on. I am so lost as to where to level next, I keep hopping around the world. I see many in Guilds but have never seen or heard in chat any recruiting. I am now at a point whether to just use my level boost or keep gimping along from where I'm at.
    It's been a long time since I leveled my first class but I believe the personal story walked you through the zones you needed to go through then would stop and start again once you reached a certain level.  After leveling up the first character you pretty much knew where all the zone were and could level in another races zone for a change of pace if you wanted or just boosts to level alts faster.  There is also the living story that makes a good change of pace as well as the boss trains.

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    Aeander said:
    I enjoy this game, but only in spurts. I can play it for a while then I have to put it down. IMO, the biggest flaw in this game was caused by ANET trying to re-invent the wheel. They were way to Hell bent on creating "Not-WoW". Too many trade offs in their innovation. All the new features ended up introducing as many new issues as the ones they corrected.
    I find that they were so busy trying to be "not-WoW" that they forgot to be Guild Wars. The first game was already "not WoW" and so much more. The first game was already unique to a degree that still hasn't been emulated over a decade later. 
    But the point I am trying to make is that there were mechanics that worked. They didn't need to be recreated just because someone had already created them. If what was created didn't work, then fine. But What Anet did wasn't that cut and dry. 

    Players got sick of waiting in group finders for tanks and healers. Anet decided all DPS is the way to go. And to a large degree, they created just that. And all DPS dungeon system. It functioned and they got to say they did it. But at the end of the day, it wasn't any better than WoW's Trinity.

    I remember sitting in LA watching chats for COF speed groups. "Heavies Only" "Link Gear" "Know the fights" etc etc. And people still had to wait for runs......so bad someone had to put up 3rd party unofficial web sites just to manage dungeon finders. It was so bad and they couldn't fix it. They completely abandoned dungeons altogether and went back the drawing board and Fractals was their answer.

    And that was the 1st game.

    Maybe they shouldn't have thrown away the whole system. Maybe if they had taken what they knew worked and tweaked it some, found ways to improve on it rather than introducing something completely unknown and with it all new problems, they could have had a much better system than what was out there. Instead we got something different, but not really better.
    I know what you are saying, and you are correct, your experience is what had happened, no doubt. 

    But at the same time, what you didn't see was the "All Welcome" LFG's, that due to the game mechanics that DPS was king, and all classes could take care of their own needs, any and every class could fill the role of kicking ass and getting things done, and as long as you were not trying to speed run or a meta junkie, you never needed to wait for some perfect combo or on a specific class to get the dungeon run on.

    Just "Grab and Go" as a motto when I was playing. Now, yah, I only did like AC and COF, because they were the go to farm dungeons, but, since I had a static of 2, we just needed 3 more semi conscious bodies to get things done. Which really made the game a lot better then any Trinity-Style game where Melee Needed to Wait on a Healer to Enable their game play.

    Never understood why people wanted to go back to that, to needing to be babysat and the like. But, there was a massive outcry for that kind of content, and I think putting it in, really ruined the game. That and of course the bottle necking the game into Raids as the "End Game" really shot the whole thing into the toilet, brought in all the worst parts of a population, elitist, DPS meters, and all the bad parts of WoW flooded into the game system in droves. Really, just soiled the original feel of the game, and made the whole place feel like a used diaper as opposed to the pristine and unique idea it started as.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,854
    Ungood said:
    I enjoy this game, but only in spurts. I can play it for a while then I have to put it down. IMO, the biggest flay in this game was caused by ANET trying to re-invent the wheel. They were so bent on creating "Not-WoW" that they forgot to create "GW2"
    I think what really killed them was they tried very hard to be their own thing.. and then when HoT came out, they tried to turn GW2 into a generic MMO, with role based classes, and it really did the game a disservice.

    In the current market, I believe an MMO needs to find a nitche' and own that sucker.
    I agree, I don't like HoT and only endured it for the skills and gliding.  Was glad when I took all the classes through it and seldom if ever return to that area.
    UngoodGeezerGamer

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,775
    Ungood said:
    I enjoy this game, but only in spurts. I can play it for a while then I have to put it down. IMO, the biggest flay in this game was caused by ANET trying to re-invent the wheel. They were so bent on creating "Not-WoW" that they forgot to create "GW2"
    I think what really killed them was they tried very hard to be their own thing.. and then when HoT came out, they tried to turn GW2 into a generic MMO, with role based classes, and it really did the game a disservice.

    In the current market, I believe an MMO needs to find a nitche' and own that sucker.
    I agree, I don't like HoT and only endured it for the skills and gliding.  Was glad when I took all the classes through it and seldom if ever return to that area.
    I didn't like HOT maps. The premise of GW2 was open world. Nothing about HOT was open world. It was playing in a Habitrail.
Sign In or Register to comment.