Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO is on sale at Steam for $5. Is it worth it?

13»

Comments

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Its reached mostly negative reviews on steam now.
  • AurorikinAurorikin Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I feel it definitely is. I had a lot of fun with it for about 30 hours... So it didn't hook me like EverQuest or WoW or Mortal Online did. But 5 bucks for 30 hours of fun is a deal in my book.
  • AurorikinAurorikin Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I should note that I like grinding in MMORPGs
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    edited September 2018
    I bought it long ago for $5 but never play it not my kind of game and playing the keyboard like a piano is not of my liking. For me it has the worst muscle memory type of key setup if I was able to play with controller I would seriously consider it.

Oh shit just found a video that shows how to use controller I'm about to patch the game right now!!!
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I say wait, it will go f2p when all the $5 impulse buyers dry up.  I played it for free during a final beta and it was ok, not great or stand-out-ish but just ok.  From what I read if you throw lots of money and time at it, it goes from ok to decent.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    If being able to play a female character barely into puberty that can wear skimpy panties clearly showing camel toe is your thing ... go for it.
    delete5230Kyleran[Deleted User]GaladournRenoaku

You stay sassy!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I didn't pull the trigger yet (its not the $5 really lol)....My bigger concern is I have not enjoyed teh MMOs released the past few years at all (GW2, ESO, FFXIV, etc) and I was mroe concerned that this would just be a boring quest fest like those.
    edited September 2018
    I didn't pull the trigger yet (its not the $5 really lol)....My bigger concern is I have not enjoyed teh MMOs released the past few years at all (GW2, ESO, FFXIV, etc) and I was mroe concerned that this would just be a boring quest fest like those.

The game has been Free to try all weekend. Also Black Desert plays nothing like GW2, ESO, FFXIV. Its a mix of themepark / sandbox with grinding being the way you progress. There are plenty of quest in BDO but they are optional.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I'm one of the few that hasn't played it yet and it is currently on sale...Is it even worth $5 or is it that bad?
    no is not worth 5
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2018
    It wasn't worth it when I got a free trial. So, no.
    One liner, no arguments, no points made, nothing... dismissed.
    Strange that you did not apply this to the folks with one liner "positive response" 

agenda ... yes .. dismissed
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited September 2018
    Yep agreed the whole point is to get more players into playing the game.

I've already given away 10 copies of BDO for free <3.

But in reality if you can't afford $100 a month on a game I would recommend not playing BDO because if you want to enjoy the game it's IMO a must especially when you just start the game.

This is what my Cash Shop inventory looks like :3.

And also as a new player you want a lot of "Inventory Slots" on a character 196, balenos rod +10 for afk fishing, and at least 1 city likely hidel is best at 196 slots so all the bank expansions cost at least $100 likely $200 for doing a whole city, and inventory.

This is where Paying 2 Whale, has a huge advantage.

- Paying money early helps so you have places to store stuff and not need to invest contribution points.

- Paying money for a Shark Outfit pretty much a Pay 2 Win Arguement.

- Having to spend $80 to get a TET Dim Tree Spirit Armor with a +103 stack lol...

^ Without spending that much money  id never get 10 Enchant Attempts and this is where people call it Pay 2 Win.

In reality you don't have to spend and money but the amount of time it would take to unlock all slots using loyalty is massive.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    ikcin said:
    Mikeha said:

The game has been Free to try all weekend. Also Black Desert plays nothing like GW2, ESO, FFXIV. Its a mix of themepark / sandbox with grinding being the way you progress. There are plenty of quest in BDO but they are optional.
    There is nothing sandbox in BDO. Or there is because the add says so? So many bricks in the wall. It is amazing, as the people thought after 1989 they will be free.
    Good thing he never said not like "Wow" because it has those simple design and systems,just not as 100% the same.Even GW2 is pretty much like Wow,kill stuff get rewards for killing stuff,only diff is WOWish type games utilize a different npc for all while GW2 is often less npc's for a zone,which would cater to the game's cheaper design to afford a b2p model.

I wanted my money back the very first day i played BDO and that is really saying something since i was barely scratching the surface and the game looked so good.ALL of the systems,every last one of them are done poorly or flat out wrong and you can see them in your first day,even combat is done absolutely "retarded"<insert better term ,up dwn left right spin o rama yeah stupid.
    Want some quests oh yeah some demon just pops out of thin air,want to fish,no problem auto bot fish,the developer and team have NO CLUE how to design an immersive mmorpg.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited September 2018
    ikcin said:
    Mikeha said:

There is nothing sandbox in BDO. Or there is because the add says so? So many bricks in the wall. It is amazing, as the people thought after 1989 they will be free.

Sorry but I dont care what you believe or what your definition of Sandbox is. 

I said its a mix of both Sandbox and Themepark. That means you will find features in Black Desert Online that you will find in both types of games. 

Pearl Abyss them selves call it a Sandbox and also media outlets that cover the mmo genre says its a Sandbox. 

Quote from Black Desert's official YouTube. 

Black Desert Online is the next-gen action driven sandbox MMORPG. Featuring one of the richest character creation systems, an immense seamless world, and epic Siege Wars."

Media Outlets

Summary: Black Desert is a large scale of sandbox oriented MMORPG that provides you a variety of unique experiences with spectacular action and battle, strategy-based castle siege, sophisticated simulation contents such as trade, NPC-hiring and real estate management.
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/black-desert-online

https://www.pcgamer.com/black-desert-online-isnt-a-great-mmo-but-it-is-a-great-sandbox-rpg/

"Black Desert Online is a sandbox, living-world MMORPG."
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/582660/Black_Desert_Online/

"The sandbox MMORPG Black Desert Online has now made its way to Steam"
    https://www.gamesear.com/news/the-sandbox-mmorpg-black-desert-online-has-now-made-its-way-to-steam

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited September 2018
    It is to some extent a sandbox since you are absolutely free to do what you please. I can just trade all day long or fish or just explore. The game does not require you to follow any paths to play it. You are reasonably  free to progress how you wish.

I did do a few of the quests the black demon gave but then I just decided to just trade and fish and farm. I found it quite sandboxy not a real sandbox but some elements exist.

I think the various trade,craft,housing and other past times may be considered sandbox lite.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited September 2018
    I don't consider BDO a sandbox game either, as Arche Age is more of a sandbox killed off by Trion Worlds, and feels more like a sandbox because it has actual farming, in BDO you really can't setup farming like in Arche Age.