Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earth and Beyond, help make EA give it a second look!

Comments

• HibameHibame Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by Puoltry

Originally posted by skitzdout

Im all for EnB opening up it's doors again. would love it actually. was my first beta and i think out of all the betas i have done since then EnB was the best and most time consuming. easy to forget the next day has already arrived.
    As for X3, i wouldnt touch that game with a 10 foot hard drive. i dont think anyone here should put that crap on their system unless of course you like having starforce copy protection virus on there.
    lost a burner because of it. lots of people have lost more than that having starforce on their system. im sure if you google starforce you will see why.
    anyways please bring Earth and Beyond back.

Somehow i seriously doubt it was "Starforce" that killed your drive.

BTW they think so too here is a link so PUT UP or shut up 

The fact that you are defending starforce with that link shows just how little you know. That contest was open for less then a month, they say no one applied but at least 6 people sent in applications but never were responded to. To win you had to fly to there headquaters which is located in russia, all you pay for (they said they would pay for your expenses after you won). Then to top it all off you had to use their computers.

You should really read [url=http://www.glop.org/starforce/]this[/url] and see the other side of the story, and that because of the way stardrive disables the cd/dvd drives it can permantly damage the drive.

WARNING: My spelling is atrocious

• archer75archer75 Member UncommonPosts: 157
    E&B was a horrible game. I really don't know how anyone could like it.

EVE is so much better. So much deeper.

Tribes 2 is back!!!! http://www.tribesnext.com/
    And from the makers of tribes: Fallen Empire: Legions http://www.instantaction.com/

• MonkeySpankMonkeySpank Member Posts: 2
    Forget Earth and Beyond play Burning Sea instead it will be much better than Earth and beyond ever was
  • KehnKehn Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by archer75
    E&B was a horrible game. I really don't know how anyone could like it.

EVE is so much better. So much deeper.

Bah, that’s a matter of preference.  I liked Eve so much after I tried it, I went back to playing EnB (after the sunset announcement).  I wouldn't say Eve is a “horrible” game.  The EnB vs Eve debate usually boils down to PvP vs PvE and some of us enjoy PvE.  I also like to spend a good amount of time soloing which would probably be pretty frustrating in Eve.  I enjoy PvP (occasionally), but I often like to kick back and relax, and not have to worry about being ganked.

• niatsnieniatsnie Member Posts: 19
    Sure that Eve is deeper, however like someone said, it's like you "other life."  However, we just wanted a game - game.  Something quick and fun and yet deep enough to have lasting appeal.  Eve has it's own crowd and EnB had its.  If everyone liked the same thing, life would be boring, right? 
  • RhaycenRhaycen Member Posts: 24

to this day I still don't understand why EA made Earth & Beyond ... and honestly didn't do all that good a job. Specially when (correct me if I'm wrong) they are the 'owners' of one of the biggest old time space titles out there. Wing Commander / Privateer ...

Earth and Beynond wasn't that great, because if it had been .. if wouldn't have flopped as badly as it did.

Someone should make ..

Wing Commander Online .. or .. Elite Online .. and do it well ...

and don't tell me EVE is like Elite ... because even though EVE has just about the only good economy in a MMORPG out there .. there is no PvE and the game is just a bit slow ...

• RhaycenRhaycen Member Posts: 24

Well, wasn't I being stupid, EA of course didn't make the game, they bought it and shut it down....

Sorry about that ...

Still ... don't resurrect an old game, make a new one that even better ...

Man...  Origin was going to make Wing Commander Online (aka Privateer Online), however that was cancelled by EA as well.

EA - Cancel Everything

At least this was released.  All we're are saying is that it would not hurt to release the game so people who like to play it may play it.  Hell even sell the server code to someone, I don't really care.

We miss it...

• fizzle322fizzle322 Member Posts: 723

Originally posted by kabishmann

Why is a game better because it has had a longer development time? I can't see how those two things have anything to do with each other.

Tried EVE, it sucks big time.
    Sure, you can be both miner, fighter, trader and all that, but that will take several years to become only decent in all of them. You can make more than one char, but that won't help you in any way, unless it's on another account. And if I started now, and only went after one of the "classes", I would never be able to become as powerful as the players who have been there for years, and for a PvP game, that's really bad.
    If you want to accomplish anything you have to, sooner or later, move to the areas where people can just kill you, and if you're not the PvP type, then where's the fun in that?
    I could actually go on and on about bad things in EVE, but I might aswell stop now.

Just one last thing, EVE can in no way replace EnB.

Skillpoints <> Power
    You do not need years to be a decent miner/trader/fighter.
    Mining 4 = 2 days
    Propulsion Jamming1 = 20 minutes

You do not need skills to trade. Buy low, sell high.

There is infinite ROOM to expand your character, usually this involves wasting a month and a half for %2 more DPS than the other guy.

Or training 2 months to learn to fly a titan, which is about as useful in combat as a shopping mall in the middle of Iraq. You can dock and go shopping for new pants while your buddy drives the mall to the next fleet battle.

If you are smart, you'll get everything you want to level 4, and have a complete character in 2-3 months.

As far as pvp goes. Yes eve is a pvp game. I used to be a carebear like you. I got over it, you will too.

No, you do not need to thank me. I know I saved you from countless hours wasted playing bad games. Please, you do not need to name your sons after me. It was my pleasure.
  • sleepyguyftlsleepyguyftl Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by fizzle322

Originally posted by kabishmann

Why is a game better because it has had a longer development time? I can't see how those two things have anything to do with each other.

Tried EVE, it sucks big time.
    Sure, you can be both miner, fighter, trader and all that, but that will take several years to become only decent in all of them. You can make more than one char, but that won't help you in any way, unless it's on another account. And if I started now, and only went after one of the "classes", I would never be able to become as powerful as the players who have been there for years, and for a PvP game, that's really bad.
    If you want to accomplish anything you have to, sooner or later, move to the areas where people can just kill you, and if you're not the PvP type, then where's the fun in that?
    I could actually go on and on about bad things in EVE, but I might aswell stop now.

Just one last thing, EVE can in no way replace EnB.

Skillpoints <> Power
    You do not need years to be a decent miner/trader/fighter.
    Mining 4 = 2 days
    Propulsion Jamming1 = 20 minutes

You do not need skills to trade. Buy low, sell high.

There is infinite ROOM to expand your character, usually this involves wasting a month and a half for %2 more DPS than the other guy.

Or training 2 months to learn to fly a titan, which is about as useful in combat as a shopping mall in the middle of Iraq. You can dock and go shopping for new pants while your buddy drives the mall to the next fleet battle.

If you are smart, you'll get everything you want to level 4, and have a complete character in 2-3 months.

As far as pvp goes. Yes eve is a pvp game. I used to be a carebear like you. I got over it, you will too.

No, you do not need to thank me. I know I saved you from countless hours wasted playing bad games. Please, you do not need to name your sons after me. It was my pleasure.

My grandma taught me Eve was the one who took the apple and messed everything up. I'd break my poor grandma's heart if I said I had anything to do with Eve.

*that was a joke btw*
  • fizzle322fizzle322 Member Posts: 723

Originally posted by Elnator

To those EVE addicts that say EVE was/is better than E&B I would point out that fully HALF of EVE's population, prior to last year when SWG started to collapse, migrated to it AFTER E&B closed up shop.  So obviously it's NOT better or they'd have already been playing EVE and not E&B.

Prior to E&B's demise:
    EVE: 35,000 pop approx
    E&B: 37,000 pop approx

So if you honestly think EVE was the better game you need to figure out why the above figure is undeniable fact.  Don't believe it?  Go check out MMORPGCHART.COM and look at the timelines for the two games.  EVE jumped to approx 55,000-60,000 shortly after E&B  closed down because EVE offered E&B refugees a 'free transition' to EVE.

If thats your definition of "better" then I guess WoW is the greatest game in the history of the world, and Madonna is the greatest singer ever produced by the human species.

There are lots of Hondas in the world, but I'd rather be driving a Hummer.
  • sleepyguyftlsleepyguyftl Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by fizzle322

To those EVE addicts that say EVE was/is better than E&B I would point out that fully HALF of EVE's population, prior to last year when SWG started to collapse, migrated to it AFTER E&B closed up shop.  So obviously it's NOT better or they'd have already been playing EVE and not E&B.

Prior to E&B's demise:
    EVE: 35,000 pop approx
    E&B: 37,000 pop approx

So if you honestly think EVE was the better game you need to figure out why the above figure is undeniable fact.  Don't believe it?  Go check out MMORPGCHART.COM and look at the timelines for the two games.  EVE jumped to approx 55,000-60,000 shortly after E&B  closed down because EVE offered E&B refugees a 'free transition' to EVE.

If thats your definition of "better" then I guess WoW is the greatest game in the history of the world, and Madonna is the greatest singer ever produced by the human species.

There are lots of Hondas in the world, but I'd rather be driving a Hummer.

I'd actually rather drive a Honda, as would many people. It's more comfortable, gets better gas milage.

As for the whole EnB vs. Eve thing. Enough already. It's a pretty safe bet that everyone that played EnB has at least tried Eve. Many of them don't want to play Eve. Some reasons:
    -They want action
    -They want character development
    -They want to walk around on a space station
    -They want to land on a planet
    -They want to interact with aliens
    -They want to be more then just a head in game
    -They want to be able to jump in their ship and fly to areas of our solar system.
    -They want sectors that look different. Not all the same.
    -They don't want reality, they want entertaining fiction.
    -They don't want to have a mysterious race called Jove hung over their heads for years.
    -They don't want pvp, they want pve

I could go on and on and on.
    Couldn't have said it any better then sleepyguyftl.  :-)  Basically EnB provided something that no other game provided since it was shut down and we're missing that experiance.
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Yep, I'll be the first to admit that some of the features of EVE really appeal to me more than some of the features of E&B

That said:  I've played both.

I liked E&B better not because it was the better game "Technically" but because it was a hell of a lot more *fun*.

Just my opinion.  But those numbers I posted don't lie either :)  If EA hadn't canned EnB it's possible that today it would be E&B that had 100k+ players rather than EVE :)  Not saying that's what would have happened but both games had very loyal player bases.  Both games offered space oddyseys...

What I would love to see is a blend of EVE and E&B:

1) EVE's map and travel

2) E&B's story, quests and plot (or at the very least, that type of creativity.

3) E&B's ability to land on planets and on space stations and get out of your ship and interact with players and NPC's.

4) E&B's options for rapid travel across the cosmos (Explorer classes with instawarp)

5) EVE's police/PvP system

6) EVE's skill system but XP/USE gated rather than time gated (I hated E&B's level system and I hate EVE's real time skill system though I love that it IS a skill system rather than level based)

That would be one hell of a fun game.... in my opinion :)

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• awozawoz Member Posts: 48

As for the whole EnB vs. Eve thing. Enough already. It's a pretty safe bet that everyone that played EnB has at least tried Eve. Many of them don't want to play Eve. Some reasons:
    -They want action
    -They want character development
    -They want to walk around on a space station
    -They want to land on a planet
    -They want to interact with aliens
    -They want to be more then just a head in game
    -They want to be able to jump in their ship and fly to areas of our solar system.
    -They want sectors that look different. Not all the same.
    -They don't want reality, they want entertaining fiction.
    -They don't want to have a mysterious race called Jove hung over their heads for years.
    -They don't want pvp, they want pve

I could go on and on and on.

Man, I agree with that 100%. Add to that the fact (gets ready to duck) that you could legally buy and sell stuff from the game on Ebay and you would not get banned, and in some ways I really liked E&B. I spent many an hour mining in that game because you never knew what you'd come across, you could find odd things on wrecks and stuff in space.

Many of the good things about E&B and Eve would be wonderful if combined into one game.
    The PVP of Eve is great though, if you like pvp. E&B didn't have that very important aspect except in the Arena.

There were/are very good things about both games.
    I asked a programmer at old Stategic Simulations once if he'd seen this other game I was playing, and mentioned it's neat features. He got mad at me for some reason about that, as if he couldn't learn anything by studying someone else's game. I bet E&B and Eve programmers would feel that way about each others products.

Eve has a very strong idea of what they want "for their game". It's THEIR game, and us customers are just those darn people that keep causing problems. I miss very much the early Ultima Online where you could do just about anything you wanted to and didn't have "big brother" breathing down your neck all the time. And you could talk to them, and they'd listen to you. They liked us lousey customers even if we were a lot of trouble.

I sure do miss the developer chats that happened every now and then.  It was fun to intereact with those people.  MMORPGs of today don't really have that either.
  • KurirKurir Member UncommonPosts: 244

If EnB were to return I would drop the other online games I subscribe to in a heart beat. There is no comparing Eve to EnB since both games have different styles of play and to say either was better than the other is rediculous. If you love PvP then play Eve, if you don't then play EnB simple as that. Now stop bashing EnB and get back to mining Trit so you can replace your APOC for the one hundredth time and if EA brings back EnB I'll get back to mining to build more missles for my Zet launchers to rat hunt in Antares. To each his own, happy gaming.

Originally posted by Kurir

If EnB were to return I would drop the other online games I subscribe to in a heart beat. There is no comparing Eve to EnB since both games have different styles of play and to say either was better than the other is rediculous. If you love PvP then play Eve, if you don't then play EnB simple as that. Now stop bashing EnB and get back to mining Trit so you can replace your APOC for the one hundredth time and if EA brings back EnB I'll get back to mining to build more missles for my Zet launchers to rat hunt in Antares. To each his own, happy gaming.

Hehe, Antares...  Best chill spot later on in the game, was real fun.  ::sigh::
  • RammurRammur Member Posts: 575

Well community what online games are 80% suppose too be about too many sniveling kids playing online games now days they done destroyed the true concept of online game that and add the greedy money grubbing companys who make the games just too line their pockets back  in the glory days of online game there were dedicated devs and companys who kept the game open because they loved the community of players.Now nothin but youngins who just play them for their personal ego.E&B ive never played but from ive seen yes there is a dedicated community and i think it should be given another chance.Travel time blah whoever whines about that crap needs too quit playin online games the travel time what makes the games feel big and epic.EQ died about the time they added the stupid PoK's see how many people left that game after that trash came out.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    yes E&B would be gr8, i love how they had pvp in the space arenas, and the mining and the music for my je while mining was my favorite relaxation time, that game had such gr6 potential, and could have went on if ea woulda just kept on it and made it grow, mostg of my guildees in swg, and eq2 are also praying for a rtebirth of it.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• CarufinCarufin Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by niatsnie

With the current lack of sci-fi MMORPGs, this one could really fill the void that a lot of people have experianced.

There are many Sci-Fi MMORPG titles available.  As for those that resemble "Earth & Beyond", EVE:Online is the absolute cat's meow.  EVE is what E&B might have been, if Electronic Arts wasn't a pathetic bunch of total morons hawking a pathetic and pointless piece of trivial bird-cage lining.

If you provided to the inmates at Abu Ghrab "Earth & Beyond" as a form of entertainment, you'd be accused of torture.

There is no void in the Sci-Fi genre.  There are only those who aren't aware of Eve Online.

You might notice, if you bothered to check, that's it's rated #1.  Right here on the home page.  So go play Eve, and quit peddling this crap about E&B.  It's the Jimmy Carter of games.

• CarufinCarufin Member Posts: 92

Non Sequitur.  Your conclusion does not follow from your premise. 

Naturally, anyone playing a space game might go to EvE after "Eat Anal Burritos" went down, they have an identical premise.

Clearly, and obviously, the better game flourished while the poorer game failed.  That's why the "Eat Anal Burritos" and "SWG" crowd had to migrate to EvE.  It hadn't, ya know, failed.  Generally speaking, that which fails sucks, whereas that which doesn't fail is better than that which does.  This sort of deduction doesn't even require an advanced degree or anything, it's kinda obvious on the face of it.

The fact that you don't comprehend fundamental, elementary school level logic, is why you were playing "Eat Anal Burritos" instead of EvE in the first place.  EvE is less tolerant of people with exceedingly low-level mental faculties.

Those who seek a resurection of "Eat Anal Burritos" are those who demand the lowest common denominator in gaming.  The people who, with the full economic power of mommy's VISA card, are in the process of destroying the entire gaming industry.  By making it profitable only to produce pathetic, simplistic, moronic games.

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Carufin
    There are only those who aren't aware of Eve Online.
    You might notice, if you bothered to check, that's it's rated #1. Right here on the home page. So go play Eve, and quit peddling this crap about E&B. It's the Jimmy Carter of games.

Forget the f****** ratings, please. And you have to accept that there are people who simply dont like several aspects of EVE. I played E&B, and I it had its merits, but it could have needed some more development imo, but I could see what people liked about it. It had potential, which was sadly not realized.

EvE is less tolerant of people with exceedingly low-level mental faculties.
    Those who seek a resurection of "Eat Anal Burritos" are those who demand the lowest common denominator in gaming.

Please stop this intelligent player = EVE player crap. I know enough dumba**** in the game.

The people who, with the full economic power of mommy's VISA card, are in the process of destroying the entire gaming industry. By making it profitable only to produce pathetic, simplistic, moronic games.
    I know enough older people, who want simplicistic and, as you put it so eloquently "moronic" games. To everyone what he likes.

Actually Carufin, it is people like you who give the EVE community/fans a bad name. Your zero tolerance attitude alienates, and does not convince.

Originally posted by Elnator To those EVE addicts that say EVE was/is better than E&B I would point out that fully HALF of EVE's population, prior to last year when SWG started to collapse, migrated to it AFTER E&B closed up shop. So obviously it's NOT better or they'd have already been playing EVE and not E&B.
    Playernumbers say nothing about the quality of a game. Fact is that (and it is the only point I give to the otherwise rude Carufin) EVE survived EnB and SWG (which I will consider on a downslide atm). If this speaks for the quality of EVE or the lack of quality of the other games (or both) is an other matter to discuss ofc.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

EnB wasn't bad, it had a nice appealling feel to it. But I didn't go much on it, it was kind of like the standard usual fantasy mmorpg model but in space and it didn't go together too well for me. I wouldn't mind trying it again.
    I remember one small thing which was quite good and that was when you joined you joined a chatchannel and it was quite a nice community.

Originally posted by niatsnie

With the current lack of sci-fi MMORPGs, this one could really fill the void that a lot of people have experianced.

There are many Sci-Fi MMORPG titles available.  As for those that resemble "Earth & Beyond", EVE:Online is the absolute cat's meow.  EVE is what E&B might have been, if Electronic Arts wasn't a pathetic bunch of total morons hawking a pathetic and pointless piece of trivial bird-cage lining.

If you provided to the inmates at Abu Ghrab "Earth & Beyond" as a form of entertainment, you'd be accused of torture.

There is no void in the Sci-Fi genre.  There are only those who aren't aware of Eve Online.

You might notice, if you bothered to check, that's it's rated #1.  Right here on the home page.  So go play Eve, and quit peddling this crap about E&B.  It's the Jimmy Carter of games.

Mate mate mate...  I decided to give Eve a 4th try few days ago!  Dude, I'm still bored out of my mind.  There are no sci-fi space MMORPGs that were anything close to what EnB was.  That is why there is still such a hardcore following for it to be brought back.  Sure Eve's #1 on the charts, yippe!  However high rating does not equal appeal for -everyone-.

This discussion has been closed.