Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did Ashes of Creation change their refund policy?

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
I thought that they had announced that they had a full refund policy but this thread seems as though that has changed:

Intrepid is issuing refunds for for any purchases in the last 30 days. This essentially screws over their earliest and most invested backers who gave them the greatest amount of trust and support based on nearly nothing at the time. Thanks Intrepid!

Here the support response regarding this:

Hello again ####,

Thank you for your outstanding patience while this ticket was being reviewed by our team. For more information on the steps My.com will be taking to address community concerns, please read the compiled statements from Volker and Steven:

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/40270/official-my-com-press-release-and-statements#latest

After listening to the feedback of our concerned community, we have decided to grant refund access to all purchases that were made within 30 days of a submitted ticket request. Unfortunately as your purchases range from ####, 2017 to ####, 2018 we are unable to assist you with your request at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Take care, Sam

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

JamesGoblin

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Actually, the refund policy was heavily qualified.  It is not an on demand situation, Steve promised to refund the 'backers" if the game doesn't launch.

Apparently with the My.com agreement they just instituted a 30 days refund policy on all purchases going forward.

ConstantineMerusJamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Kyleran said:
    Actually, the refund policy was heavily qualified.  It is not an on demand situation, Steve promised to refund the 'backers" if the game doesn't launch.

Apparently with the My.com agreement they just instituted a 30 days refund policy on all purchases going forward.

Interesting... I need to remember to parse his wording very thoroughly.  I’m actually OK with not having on demand refunds as long as he stays on track.  If he develops Crowdfunding-itis and starts delaying by years then it would be an issue.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    So can EU users if they don't like the fact that My.com is the publisher request a full refund?
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I think Steven said a full refund was due if the game didn't launch.
    Kyleran
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Problem is that they can always launch something, say the way Shroud of the Avatar did; Thus MLM Steve's words, as usual, amount to empty PR fluff. 
    Shaigh
     W...aaagh?
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2018
    Kyleran said:

Interesting... I need to remember to parse his wording very thoroughly.  I’m actually OK with not having on demand refunds as long as he stays on track.  If he develops Crowdfunding-itis and starts delaying by years then it would be an issue.
    Actually the refund policy was completely worthless.

It's on the level "If you pay my construction company now I will use the money to build you a house. If our company ever announces that we're insolvent we promise the company will refund you all the money".

Intrepid has no business besides making Ashes of Creation. If they ever announce that they won't be launching the game, it's very unlikely that they'd somehow have money to do refunds either. It'd just give you position as a debtor to insolvent company.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2018
    With the publisher dealing the financial side of things, what the dev said or not said really is rendered irrelevant.

So it's the standard 14/30 days depending on the crowdfunded project and that's it, different devs have their own approach, some allow full withdrawal during the first years of a project then they enforce ToS.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:

Actually the refund policy was completely worthless.

It's on the level "If you pay my construction company now I will use the money to build you a house. If our company ever announces that we're insolvent we promise the company will refund you all the money".

Intrepid has no business besides making Ashes of Creation. If they ever announce that they won't be launching the game, it's very unlikely that they'd somehow have money to do refunds either. It'd just give you position as a debtor to insolvent company.
    "So if we go bankrupt, we'll return your $100M. We promise." - no matter how ridiculous, they will never even reach that situation; there is too many cheaper ways to avoid returning the money.

A couple examples from previous failed MMOs: Revival announced "indefinite hiatus" and disappeared; SotA simply took what they alredy had, duct taped it together and called it "launch"; Pathfinder Online simply became radio silent; Greedmonger cynically promissed refunds (at least twice IIRC) and never did it - in each of these cases without legal or financial consequences.
     W...aaagh?