Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CCP Games Acquired by Black Desert Online Creators Pearl Abyss - MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

• Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142

I wonder how much cash i can get for  180mil sp toon before the shits worthless

I'll give you $1.

I can go as high as tree fiddy.
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    with 425M$, i think CCP just retired, some of them goes away by nature or family reason...
    i'm playing EVE since years and yes, CCP was a big guaranty
    now, i'm just with a "OMG" in my head!
    or...
    it's the ultimate Jita scam! :)
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    edited September 2018
    Asheron's Call was Turbine's first game, it released November 2nd, 1999. AC had 80,000 subscribers by the end of its first year. The subscription cost was $10 per month. The MSRP for Asheron's Call was $50. By the end of 2000 (13 months post launch) it had 90,000 active subscribers from 200,000 box sales. Adjusted for inflation to 2016, Turbine had making approximately $1,152,494.60 per month from game subscriptions and sold approximately $14,406,182.47 in box sales. Adjusting for the rate of subscriber growth, a fair estimate of their subscription sales for the first 12 months is $6.4M ($7M in 2016) Turbine was acquired by Warner Brothers in 2010 for what was reported to be $160M ($185M in 2018). Asheron's Call reached a peak subscriber base in 2002 at 120,000 members. AC closed its servers January 31, 2017 after over 17 years of service. In 1999 the worldwide video game market had an estimated $31B in sales ($44.6B in 2016). With an estimated $6.4M in subscription revenue and $14.4M in box sales, totalling $20.8M, Turbine would have comprised approximately 0.18% of the United States estimated $11B in video games revenue from 1999-2000. I would estimate the lifetime revenue of Asheron's Call to be $160M ($242M in 2018 dollars).

Black Desert Online was Pearl Abyss' first game, it initially launched in 2015 and in the US/EU in 2016. This time last year it was estimated that BDO had pulled in $300M total in revenue. Adjusted for 2008 (middle of AC's lifespan) this would amount to $256M, which is 5.5% more than my estimate for AC's lifetime revenue adjusted to 2018. BDO's total worldwide annual revenue (estimated at $160M) accounts for approximately 0.17% of the worldwide video game market (estimated at $89B). Pearl Abyss is now a publicly traded company with a $2.2B market cap.

Which company is more successful? Turbine helped propel a relatively new genre into the next century, elevating the small company that created it to go on to produce three commercially successful MMORPGs and be acquired by a large entertainment publisher. Pearl Abyss has reignited the concept that MMORPGs can be wildly successful business ventures, raising the status of their small studio to that of a successful corporation with a market cap that is already 50% that of Square Enix, and enabling it to acquire one of the more successful MMORPG developer-publishers (CCP). I'll let you all be the judges, but, personally I think they are both great examples of MMORPG developers that should be applauded for their efforts at keeping this genre alive.

@Mikeha
    ConstantineMerusKyleranOzmodanBig.Daddy.Samedi5CARLLeTTMadFrenchie
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    If they take steps to clean up the shit community so it isn't full of psychopaths, scammers, and schoolyard bullies, I'll definitely consider this a positive thing. I might even play it again. Hell, maybe we'll get meaningful PvE content like out of ship activities or a cohesive storyline. Maybe CCP will grow the balls to follow their vision of the game and not be bullied by a bunch of degenerates threatening to leave it for doing so. 

Or maybe things will stay the same, and EVE will continue to attract mouth breathers who get off on scamming people, encouraging others to commit suicide, and making death threats. Who knows?
    Umm EVE is a game designed and built to be the ultimate playground for psychopaths, scammers, and schoolyard bullies.

That is why it has such a adamantly loyal player base.. no one else wants these people.
    Ozmodan
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    I expect moving boobs on EVE characters now.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Spiider said:
    A couple of the new ship models they will be introducing:

Ungood
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Right now over the past 4-5 years it has been all about Esports,so i do not see this game going anywhere in the Asian market.I feel CCP actually sees the game going nowhere as well but could have simply continued to make money but must have got a good purchase price from pearl.

Not a game i would buy,it is a shallow game with imo no upside unless expecting to spend a lot of money improving the game and i don't see that happening.
    Ozmodan5CARLLeTT

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I haven't played in a long time, but from reading threads about it, it seems like populations has been declining.  If this is true, it could be a good idea to get someone else in there and shake things up a bit with fresh eyes and ideas.  Just because you don't like BDO, doesn't mean that they are gonna turn EVE into BDO in space.  In fact, I would bet against it.  It's obviously a profitable company and they aren't gonna want to alienate the people who make it so.

Wait and see.  Don't get into your apocalypse bunkers just yet.
    Ozmodan5CARLLeTT

I self identify as a monkey.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I played EVE for 7 ish years. I stopped playing EVE because I felt like P2W and RMT was getting out of hand. I can't imagine a world where this doesn't get worse.
    Ozmodan
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Ungood said:
    If they take steps to clean up the shit community so it isn't full of psychopaths, scammers, and schoolyard bullies, I'll definitely consider this a positive thing. I might even play it again. Hell, maybe we'll get meaningful PvE content like out of ship activities or a cohesive storyline. Maybe CCP will grow the balls to follow their vision of the game and not be bullied by a bunch of degenerates threatening to leave it for doing so. 

Or maybe things will stay the same, and EVE will continue to attract mouth breathers who get off on scamming people, encouraging others to commit suicide, and making death threats. Who knows?
    Umm EVE is a game designed and built to be the ultimate playground for psychopaths, scammers, and schoolyard bullies.

That is why it has such a adamantly loyal player base.. no one else wants these people.
    Hmm, didn't expect you to side with the ignorant.....pity.

I won't deny there are some very evil people in EVE, but they are such a very small fraction of the player base.

Well, except for the trade hub scanmers, there's a plethora of those, but they provide for great entertainment on a slow night.

The thing about great evil, it strongly encourages those who oppose it to band together and provide a counter balance in the game universe.

I've said it before, while EVE has some of gaming's most notorious villians, it has the best overall community I have ever experienced in gaming and is truly an awesome socialization experience.

But I guess you had to be there.....

ConstantineMerusOzmodan5CARLLeTT

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited September 2018
    Spiider said:
    Don't forget to add a cutesy pedophilic space squirrel race.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Hmm, didn't expect you to side with the ignorant.....pity.

I won't deny there are some very evil people in EVE, but they are such a very small fraction of the player base.

Well, except for the trade hub scanmers, there's a plethora of those, but they provide for great entertainment on a slow night.

The thing about great evil, it strongly encourages those who oppose it to band together and provide a counter balance in the game universe.

I've said it before, while EVE has some of gaming's most notorious villians, it has the best overall community I have ever experienced in gaming and is truly an awesome socialization experience.

But I guess you had to be there.....

And even as an evil, the community was great. I had the pleasure of having the best and the most considerate darkspawn following me. And working with other evil overlords was indeed a pleasure. 
    [Deleted User]5CARLLeTT
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    One of the best communities...  (Much laughter).
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    AMA from CCP regarding the take over, of course some of this does sound like nothing more than soundbites, but prior to and after this i dont see anything changing its not like EvE wasn't owned by people before

https://forums.eveonline.com/t/ama-ccp-acquisiton-by-pearl-abyss-starts-at-16-30-utc/104473/148

And, as for communities, why is it the people who bitch about EvE community haven' t played the game in any depth or at all, its very much a  " my mate said.... " "i read about a bad guy".

I liken eve community to a party....

So you just moved into area, and get invited to a party at a neighbours house, you walk in, and of course you dont know anyone, and from this you think, they are ignorant because they are just talking to other people, laughing, maybe even looking at you, you then get talking to a single person, he seems nice, he introduces you to a group of 3 guys and suddenly you know 4 and having a good time, but as the night goes on you find yourself talking or getting involved in other groups, by end of night you have spoken to lots of people and they are not as ignorant as first thought.

But you could always turn up and not talk to anyone, sit in the corner and for whole night you think that everyone is bad / ignorant etc..
    Ozmodan5CARLLeTT

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Quazal.A said:
    AMA from CCP regarding the take over, of course some of this does sound like nothing more than soundbites, but prior to and after this i dont see anything changing its not like EvE wasn't owned by people before

https://forums.eveonline.com/t/ama-ccp-acquisiton-by-pearl-abyss-starts-at-16-30-utc/104473/148

And, as for communities, why is it the people who bitch about EvE community haven' t played the game in any depth or at all, its very much a  " my mate said.... " "i read about a bad guy".

I liken eve community to a party....

So you just moved into area, and get invited to a party at a neighbours house, you walk in, and of course you dont know anyone, and from this you think, they are ignorant because they are just talking to other people, laughing, maybe even looking at you, you then get talking to a single person, he seems nice, he introduces you to a group of 3 guys and suddenly you know 4 and having a good time, but as the night goes on you find yourself talking or getting involved in other groups, by end of night you have spoken to lots of people and they are not as ignorant as first thought.

But you could always turn up and not talk to anyone, sit in the corner and for whole night you think that everyone is bad / ignorant etc.

Started out in 2004 a few months after launch, have tried to come back 3 times and game play runeiend by Ass Hat Gankers after the 3rd time quiting, ive decided not to return to the game until ccp comes out with a PVE server. Or gets run over by CIG, I think this stuff by pearl abyss is there response. 

Ozmodan
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • 5CARLLeTT5CARLLeTT Member CommonPosts: 6
    I've played Eve for some years. Since June of 2011. I just love the game. Scamming and griefing is part of it but just a very very small part of it. The skilled veteran players usually aren't the ones being scammed and they usually aren't the ones who are primarily flying the stuff that gets blown up when stuff starts blowing up. Eve isn't usually kind to the newbros who, since they are newbros, obviously don't yet have much experience or the reflexes or the eye needed to effectively play the game yet. So most pilots who really really enjoy the game (I am one of them) usually try to gain as much knowledge and expertise and experience as quickly as they possible can. Do this and you may eventually become one of the sharks doing the eating instead of the chum. Please join a genuinely helpful and active corporation to start the needed learning process please. There are thousands of good corps to choose from. Please do this and please work really hard and you too can eventually, just maybe, potentially, perhaps you too can start to someday enjoy the game as a shark. The chum just never have as much fun.

Eve isn't for everyone. It's brutal and unforgiving and incredibly difficult to dive deeper than just a few feet below the surface. The surface is where most casual players swim. Space is dark and cold and hostile and Eve can be all of that and more. Join a genuinely helpful active corporation please if you want to have fun. But even so, you probably won't have much fun for months (or maybe even years) as you gradually work your way up the food chain. It's almost impossible for most newbros to enjoy the cruel learning process with a whole lot of joy and you will, again, probably be a new brother for many months or longer. It all depends on you and what you're made of. Personally it took me years and a whole lot of effort and I'm still nothing much.

Probably this means that I don't have much natural talent, just persistence. But now Eve to me is incredible, wonderful, amazing, unique, fascinating. And I wouldn't trade it for a shipload of Black Desert Onlines or WoWs or anything else that I've ever played. You want to be a newbro? Look me up in-game and maybe I can personally help with a bit of a needed boost. Me and a bunch of my friends enjoy teaching new pilots how to enjoy. My avatar's first name is Farr and its last name is Arrow. But don't even bother to download the client unless you are willing to give Eve at least 2 or 3 months before passing judgement. Just go play something else. And please tell Pearl Abyss that it's the players that make the game and not the corporate bankers, lawyers, and stock brokers. 
    OzmodanSirAgravaine