Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO is on sale at Steam for $5. Is it worth it?

TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
I'm one of the few that hasn't played it yet and it is currently on sale...Is it even worth $5 or is it that bad?

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    It's free to play through Monday on Steam. Why not try it for yourself and see before you buy. YOU be the judge! :)
    Panther2103[Deleted User]Azaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]Octagon7711TaneonGameolioDan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    I have yet to play it.  $5 Seems a legit chance to try it.  

I've got the straight edge.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    It's a trap.... $5.00  to suck you in.... and then so much more later....

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    As someone who put in a couple of months into it way back when, yup, $5 is definitely worth it if for no other reason than just to see the many things they do differently than other MMOs - some of which are quite good systems (great fishing, great worker and node crafting system, great city building, etc.)

You'll definitely get your $5 worth.

Its warts don't start showing until you get into it deeper and start wanting to pursue the best gear. Until that point though, its definitely worth a look.
    [Deleted User]Azaron_Nightbladekenguru23
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I still vote "PLAY FOR FREE" for three days and then decide. The $5 price will be there through Monday morning at 10:00 am Pacific / 1:00 pm Eastern when the F2P weekend is over.
    El-HefeRueTheWhirl[Deleted User]BeezerbeezGameolioDan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
                        No...
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    seems cheap enough...

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This game is 5$ on steam almost every 2-3 months.
    GameolioDan
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2018
    yea , spend the 5$ on a bag of Skittles , you will get much more enjoyment

KyleranIselindelete5230LucienRene
    Albatroes said:
    This game is 5$ on steam almost every 2-3 months.
    All part of the marketing strategy, they are masters at it.
    Mikeha

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    It's about the price of a pint of beer in a pub. It's worth trying it for that.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    It's about the price of a pint of beer in a pub. It's worth trying it for that.
    And it doesn't even make you belch or pee more often... there's also that.
    PsYcHoGBR
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    This is a funny one. 99% of mmorpgs have crafting/economy as an afterthought. This one is all about the economy. Questing, bosses and everything else are afterthoughts.
    Looks like @delete5230 was correct after all, gamers really can / are easily manipulated.

I owe him an apology.

B)
    deniterAlBQuirky

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    No it's not worth it because the cost of the game is much lower then the cost of entry to actually play the game on a level that allows you to enjoy it which is the problem with almost every game that has a cash shop with designed based around making you spend money
    Kyleran
  • samooryesordsamooryesord Member UncommonPosts: 98
    edited September 2018
    I still have plenty of free game keys if anyone doesn't have $5 lol
     EDIT: Oh nvm, they expired back in March. Not worth it anyway haha
    Kyleran
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I absolutely loathe the game, still....$5 for an mmo is a bargain.  Don't spend anything in the cash shop until you understand what you're buying.....but for that amount of money it's a damn good deal.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    $5 is nothing. It's a small price to pay to ease your curiosity. 

But... cash shop ruins what could have been the best MMO ever made.

It's worth trying just to know what it 'could' have been and what might be possible for MMOs in the future.

If you get to the point where you think you NEED to start paying for 'chance' of upgrading one of your items, uninstall it quickly. It'll be a long time before you get to that point and you'll have had fun getting there.
    kenguru23
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    I would vote no. the new "remaster" just made things shiny, for no reason, and is just heavier.. the pvp is rubbish, buts thats an issue they never have gotten right so far. One of the updates a bit ago made the gear gap between players even worse, so thats fun. PVe on other hand is.. lacking to say the least.. but since its free to try, might as well.. but that 5'er could go to some better enjoyment, like renting a movie, food (always a good choice) or just saving it for a rainy day.
    kenguru23
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    BDO is worth $5 just for the character creator.  Playing around with that is what I do with mine mostly, anyways.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Stuck in the past waiting for the days of 1990s era gaming? 

Then no

Do you enjoy new MMOs and truly enjoy the MMO genre?

Then yes.
    KyleranAlBQuirky

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    SBFord said:
    I still vote "PLAY FOR FREE" for three days and then decide. The $5 price will be there through Monday morning at 10:00 am Pacific / 1:00 pm Eastern when the F2P weekend is over.
    Im not seeing that option Suzie.....Mine says $4.99
    Kyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Why I thought I might like it:
    1. I like fishing in MMOs
    2. I heard the crafting is good
    3. I heard the world is nice

Why I thought I might not like it
    1. Not a pvper
    2. Heard the PVE is ridiculously easy
    3. Cash shops dont usually bother me but this one is supposed to be game breaking
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2018
    Why I thought I might like it:
    1. I like fishing in MMOs
    2. I heard the crafting is good
    3. I heard the world is nice

Why I thought I might not like it
    1. Not a pvper
    2. Heard the PVE is ridiculously easy
    3. Cash shops dont usually bother me but this one is supposed to be game breaking
    I personally enjoy BDO. You probably won't like it though

1. Fishing is a literal AFK simulator

2. Crafting is an AFK simulator, but this time you can command workers to do all the crafting for you. Have to harvest manually though to supply the goods

3. One of the few truly open world living breathing MMO worlds. NPCs everywhere doing their thing really adds a lot of life. A lot of the world is very immersive. The only one that is better is Ryzom.

4. I'm not a PvPer either and still enjoy the game. Its ultra carebear PvP. You die, lose nothing and the pvper loses more than you. No exp loss, no item loss (except gems but I never use those) and dying in pvp is BETTER than dying in pve

5. PVE is fun, but yeah really easily. It makes WoW leveling at level 1 look like a game made for college students. What makes up for it for me is the combat, and looking good in combat and also looking fabulous in combat

6. People will do anything they can to hate anything BDO does. Cash shop recent thing is getting cron stones from outfits. BUT, you can now just buy PEN (best grade items in the game) on marketplace (the in-game "auction" house) without dealing with the craptastic enhancement system. The new change made the game BETTER, cause the enhancement system is the worst thing I've ever seen in any game of any genre. I buy 100% only upgrades on marketplace, now its easier to do as long as you have the gold. Other stuff...far worse MMOs out there for cash shops, but BDO I'd label a C grade, since the cash shop is overpriced and does have iffy items. But not the worst by far.
    Kyleran

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Yes worthit even if you don't like it it's just $5...

Also be prepared to Swipe $100 a month or more if you really want to enjoy the game IMO it's a requirement to do this. (You don't have to but don't expect to progress anywhere at a decent pace especially beyond TET, the only alternative is to buy them.
    PhryKyleranOctagon7711