Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Level 1(a fictitious story)

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited September 2018 in Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
This is my fantasy, 
After the log in screen and character creation.  I hope to humbly arrive in my starting area half naked with a weak tree branch in my hand.  Standing their looking helpless and dirty.  I'll open my menus and find I have a raw potato and a minor water flask in one and a near naked paper doll figure in another.  I'll close out all screens to find I have a perplexed feeling of what to do next.  But off in a distance a see a simple peasant waving me over as he tells me a story of rats and a bad stench smell coming from a well behind the blacksmiths shop on the other side of the swamp.  I think to myself "what the hell, OK".  As I make my way across the village I see what looks like a vender but no name tags so I could only guess. I click on the green orc guy and he's trying to sell me a club but I don't have the money so I press on to the swamp. I continue across the village and through some high grass with a green glow signifying my supposed destiny off in a distance, but first I then find myself at a small pond.  Off to the left I see an old man talking to another player, I take notice he's a level 1 like me.  Not to interfere with his task I decide to focuse on the well.  Knowing this is a group game I decide to not make friends JUST YET. 

As I make it around the pond, here's a little girl crying.  She tell me I can have a +1 dagger now if I promise to get her doll back from a big ole alligator that snatched it from her.  She points to the deep middle.  I say to myself I can do this, so I begin to swim but notice I have no water breathing stamina, again I say "what the hell" After two more attempts I conclude, this is impossible.  I decide to grab a coffee and think about this.  My only option is to re-talk to the little girl.  This time I find their is more, she talks about how I can float and swim on logs "imagine that".  <ctrl> W and I find I'm traversing to the center of the pond, floating on the log just like the girl told me.  At the point, I dive to the bottom to find the doll, snitch it and swim to the top onto the log back to the shore.  No alligator but no little girl either just her little shoes and signs of a struggle "what the hell".  

I find myself clueless on what to do next.  After a little thought and seeing the same level 1 player I've seen before but now level 2.  I ask him about the little girl, and he told me to talk to the old man and follow him, he had attempted the strong alligator twice and can't do it alone.  MY FIRST FRIEND.  He points to the high grass and tells me he's in there be ready.  He tells me how he got a stun ability from talking to the Oldman a second time and he'll stun the alligator and for me to stab him repeatedly.  We worked together and killed the thing with no real problem.  It dropped a +2 belt, and I let my new friend have it.  Out came the little girl and she gave me a +2 axe.  Now I'm finally level 2 after several hours.   

This has nothing to do with Pantheon, but It's Old School, just the same :)

Boring right ??…... This is what I want.  I don't think I could stomach another Nuclear Explosion game. 

Moral of the story: 
- First and foremost, it's relaxing 
- The player actually has to think 
- No obnoxious kill hundreds of monsters along the way to prove there is action
- This story could have gone several different ways
- Make a real friend at level 1... ONE ! 
- Level slowly 
- Notice I never made it to the swamp, unexpected anomalies happened 
- Best of all I have an unforgettable memory.  When was the last time you had that from a theme park game. 

Pantheon will be bigger than people realize because there are no longer games like this, their all obnoxious.  
Post edited by delete5230 on
RexKushmancraftseeker

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
                              This part seems correct

"I find myself clueless on what to do next. "  

AmatheKyleranSandmanjwArglebargle
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    DMKano said:
    Favorite parts:

"Wisdom 0"

"This has nothing to do with Pantheon, but It's Old School, just the same "

"real friend at level 1... ONE ! "

"Boring right ??…... This is what I want."

"Pantheon, will be big !"

Yep.
    Not sure if your giving me a dig, most likely !
    Kyleran
    Scorchien said:
                              This part seems correct

"I find myself clueless on what to do next. "  

Now that's a dig.... Same with DMKano… That was a dig too. 
    KyleranTiller
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Favorite parts:

"Wisdom 0"

"This has nothing to do with Pantheon, but It's Old School, just the same "

"real friend at level 1... ONE ! "

"Boring right ??…... This is what I want."

"Pantheon, will be big !"

Yep.
    Not sure if your giving me a dig, most likely !

A little dig 

Wisdom 0 - most RPG systems start at 1 due to multiplication formulas for die rolls - zero would null out a lot of the die roll math

You say it has nothing to do with Pantheon - and then just conclude with a statement how Pantheon will be big - that's pretty funny IMO

The other stuff is self explanatory.

I love your posts - it's fun to just decipher them.
    Changed Wisdom to 1, it's still work in progress, Infact I have yet to fix another hole in the story. Without being bold this time, Pantheon will be bigger than people realize because there are no longer games like this, their all obnoxious.  I Think I'll change that part in the post. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I particularly enjoyed the part where the allegator deftly snatched the girl's doll (as large reptiles are known doll lovers), showing no interest in the girl herself (though she remained in the area).

I also relished the girl saying she had a +1 dagger (because what family doesn't let their little girl carry magic daggers), that somehow morphed into a +2 axe at the end.

A riveting tale. 
    TEKK3NHawkaya399

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited September 2018
    Amathe said:

I particularly enjoyed the part where the allegator deftly snatched the girl's doll (as large reptiles are known doll lovers), showing no interest in the girl herself (though she remained in the area).

I also relished the girl saying she had a +1 dagger (because what family doesn't let their little girl carry magic daggers), that somehow morphed into a +2 axe at the end.

A riveting tale. 
    Well, the girl is 10 years old.  Sure that's still young.  But things were different as far as the law is concerned in kids having a +1 dagger, back in the middle ages.  Also her father gave it to her because he can't control the girl from running off and playing even if known alligators are in the area. By the way it was only +1 so it wasn't very sharp  ( it would have been explained in the conversation, but I kept the story short ).

As far as the dispute about the +1 dagger and at the end +2 axe... I had already fixed that, just read it again. 

Oh... and the doll, 
    It was a smart alligator, it seen the girl swing the dagger and could only grab the doll ( that was explained in conversation too).

See it all fits :)
    Hawkaya399

See it all fits :)
    Of course. I can only hope VR snatches this up. Maybe have a quest called Mean Green Stinky Stole My Dolly
    delete5230KyleranPanther2103Hawkaya399

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I don't know man, what you described sounds like a quest hub  game to me.  Talk to NPC who tells you what to do, follow glowy light to objective, talk to another npc for instructions, do what you are told to do by npc to get reward.  If that's what you think the typical gaming session will be like I think you are probably wrong.

Also, towards the end of your post you said:

"No obnoxious kill hundreds of monsters along the way to prove there is action"

Hehehe...ya you never played EQ that's for sure.  No killing hundreds of monsters along the way?  Well...maybe not "along the way" but in Pantheon you will most likely spend a LOT of time sitting in one spot killing the same monsters over and over and over and over.  If it's like EQ you will.  Which I would actually prefer to a quest hub type of game but I'm just saying...if you think you won't be slaughtering monsters on an industrial scale I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

AmathecheyaneHawkaya399
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Amathe said:

A riveting tale. 
    But isn't it better than smoking a joint?
    TEKK3N said:
    Gonna have to go with no, picking between the two.
    TEKK3N

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited September 2018
    Amathe said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Gonna have to go with no, picking between the two.
    I was implying that reading his story gives you same effect of smoking a joint.
    I personally found it entertaining, though not in the way it was meant to, probably  :D
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited September 2018
    In my dream I'm a whale who has bought the most expensive package.  I've played alpha and beta because of the access my purchase has given me so even before logging into the game after launch I already know what I'm going to do and where I'm going to go.  

Since I know exactly what my character will look like I quickly create it and launch into game.  The first few mins. in the game I just sit back and listen as all my package gifts flood my inventory or ding in my mailbox.  I quickly put on my bonus stuff and take off to get back to the point I was in beta, and beyond.  

Was that a dream I just had, or was it a nightmare?
    overview for loki2002

[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I don't know man, what you described sounds like a quest hub  game to me.  Talk to NPC who tells you what to do, follow glowy light to objective, talk to another npc for instructions, do what you are told to do by npc to get reward.  If that's what you think the typical gaming session will be like I think you are probably wrong.

Hehehe...ya you never played EQ that's for sure.  No killing hundreds of monsters along the way?  Well...maybe not "along the way" but in Pantheon you will most likely spend a LOT of time sitting in one spot killing the same monsters over and over and over and over. 

In the vids Ive seen they never stop in one spot and wait on respawns.  I dont think that will be valid.
    Mendel
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    svann said:

Hehehe...ya you never played EQ that's for sure.  No killing hundreds of monsters along the way?  Well...maybe not "along the way" but in Pantheon you will most likely spend a LOT of time sitting in one spot killing the same monsters over and over and over and over. 

In the vids Ive seen they never stop in one spot and wait on respawns.  I dont think that will be valid.
    Same here, the videos show the party crawling through the dungeon.  I don't see a mechanism that would encourage or discourage camping in a spot.  The constant movement could be the result of a slot respawn rate or it could simply be the designers/playtesters choice.  Breaking a camp was that major thing in EQ1; I don't see it being any different in Pantheon.  (Side note:  I hope that the developers have the ability to adjust things like spawn rate without major patches / updates).

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Well, I just hope there's good lore to explain the 100k+/- lost confused souls arriving in loin clothes, holding a twig in one hand and potato in another (giggity), at however many starting areas there are....

Gut Out!
    Kyleran

What, me worry?

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Mendel said:
    svann said:

Same here, the videos show the party crawling through the dungeon.  I don't see a mechanism that would encourage or discourage camping in a spot.  The constant movement could be the result of a slot respawn rate or it could simply be the designers/playtesters choice.  Breaking a camp was that major thing in EQ1; I don't see it being any different in Pantheon.  (Side note:  I hope that the developers have the ability to adjust things like spawn rate without major patches / updates).

Of course I could be wrong but then my question is; what would motivate you to keep moving as opposed to sitting in one spot with one group member pulling to your location?  Is it going to be a "follow the quest directions" type of game?  I'm pretty sure that's not the plan.  Or maybe you will want to get to the tougher mobs deeper in a dungeon.  But having gotten to them wouldn't you just stay there?

One thing about the videos (and I'll admit I haven't watched them all) is that they are not showing the game as it will be post release when it is (presumably) full of people.  Remember they want a shared world with no instancing.  When those dungeons are full of people competing over spawns it's going to be a whole different ballgame.  What the videos show is people playing in the world when they have it mostly to themselves.  There might be a few other testers around but not many. 

Hawkaya399
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If there was a little girl in real life,she wouldn't be standing there waiting to talk to some stranger.Her doll would be a petty reason to take on some alligator.Her parents would likely give you a bigger reward just for returning her home.Furthermore,what was a little girl doing with a +1 dagger?
    I like the first train of thought,NO name tags but also NO glowing lights or markers telling you there is a quest over yonder,keep it REAL.
    How about this,if i needed to get past that Alligator,i'd shoot him,kill him but not for any doll.
    Instead a developer with some effort put into their systems can have various response npc's,like perhaps your race is not in favor with that npc,perhaps your gender is not to their liking,it is all for you to figure out and discover.Another example would be you need to gain a lot of favor with her parents before their child would be allowed to even talk to you,some stranger.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IMO these games need to quit catering to people with EXCUSES,i have no time for this,i don't like penalties because i have no time ,blah blah blah,you know what,DON'T play the game if you have no time.
    If you don't have time to play a game that is suppose to be built like a real life scenario,then quit playing those,go play something you actually want o play instead of trying to ruin genres to suit your needs.
    This means stuff like real penalties,if you want to RISK jumping in murky water in hopes of finding some treasure,then if you are badly injured you might lose a lot of stats for a whole day,perhaps the loss of one of your limbs,etc etc,you know ,keep it REAL.
    delete5230

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Gutlard said:
    Well, I just hope there's good lore to explain the 100k+/- lost confused souls arriving in loin clothes, holding a twig in one hand and potato in another (giggity), at however many starting areas there are....

Gut Out!
    You may be right, 
    I guess the slutty 8 year old Korean girl with short shorts and a pink saber 5X her size is more fitting ? 
  • ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    There's a lot to unravel there in your opening post, so I won't really try, other than to say this:

You set your attributes extremely low for your starting character implying that they will grow as your character advances.  I hope that's not the case and I don't think it should be.  Your core attributes should be set during the character creation portion of the game.  Your natural strength is your natural strength and your natural intelligence is your natural intelligence, etc.  Now that's not to say they can't be enhanced artificially through the acquisition of gear; but they're elevated only so long as the gear is equipped.

Besides that, you describe what your dream of Pantheon would be in the opening moments of logging on and do so in terms of how you hope the action plays out.  Let me describe what I would be looking for.  I always go back to the immersion factor.  In my opinion, you should know pretty quickly after logging on how immersed you feel in an online world.  And one of the things I will be looking for almost immediately is the lore factor.  How steeped in lore is the world of Terminus.  Ideally, I want to be bombarded with lore (a bit of exaggeration, but not by much).

And a good way to provide it involves more than just storytelling.  If you want to provide the lengthy pages of dialogue that reveals the history of the land, that's fine, but it's the lazy way of doing things.  And most people get too bored to finish those long stories.  You should pique their interest in other ways as well.  Plant statues in the world honoring the heroes of the past.  Name some of the spells after the wizards and clerics of old.  Tie much of the quest gear to the history of the world.  Do that, and players will be a lot more interested in reading the lengthy dialogue that provides the backstory of the land.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Gutlard said:

Gut Out!
    That was my favorite part about early EQ....No hand holding, no quests, just plain old adventuring.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited September 2018
    Mendel said:
    svann said:

Of course I could be wrong but then my question is; what would motivate you to keep moving ..

Slow respawns
    edited September 2018
    Zindaihas said:
    There's a lot to unravel there in your opening post, so I won't really try, other than to say this:

You set your attributes extremely low for your starting character implying that they will grow as your character advances.  I hope that's not the case and I don't think it should be.  Your core attributes should be set during the character creation portion of the game.  Your natural strength is your natural strength and your natural intelligence is your natural intelligence, etc.  Now that's not to say they can't be enhanced artificially through the acquisition of gear; but they're elevated only so long as the gear is equipped.

Besides that, you describe what your dream of Pantheon would be in the opening moments of logging on and do so in terms of how you hope the action plays out.  Let me describe what I would be looking for.  I always go back to the immersion factor.  In my opinion, you should know pretty quickly after logging on how immersed you feel in an online world.  And one of the things I will be looking for almost immediately is the lore factor.  How steeped in lore is the world of Terminus.  Ideally, I want to be bombarded with lore (a bit of exaggeration, but not by much).

And a good way to provide it involves more than just storytelling.  If you want to provide the lengthy pages of dialogue that reveals the history of the land, that's fine, but it's the lazy way of doing things.  And most people get too bored to finish those long stories.  You should pique their interest in other ways as well.  Plant statues in the world honoring the heroes of the past.  Name some of the spells after the wizards and clerics of old.  Tie much of the quest gear to the history of the world.  Do that, and players will be a lot more interested in reading the lengthy dialogue that provides the backstory of the land.
    Actually my story comes down to demonstrating this 

Moral of the story: 
    - First and foremost, it's relaxing 
    - The player actually has to think 
    - No obnoxious kill hundreds of monsters along the way to prove there is action
    - Make a real friend at level 1... ONE ! 
    - Level slowly 
    - Notice I never made it to the swamp, unexpected anomalies happened 
    - Best of all I have an unforgettable memory.  When was the last time you had that from a theme park game.  

I definitely don't claim to be a great story teller, it would be nice if someone could do better. Infact if your good, a much longer one :)

Post edited by delete5230 on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다