Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LA Times Owner & NantWorks Partner with Daybreak for Mobile H1Z1 & EverQuest Games & More - MMORPG.

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageLA Times Owner & NantWorks Partner with Daybreak for Mobile H1Z1 & EverQuest Games & More - MMORPG.com News

The Daybreak site has been updated with the latest in a series of "business type" news stories today: "NantWorks, a diversified holding company, today announced that it has made a strategic investment in Daybreak Game Company". NantWorks has purchased a controlling interest in a new venture with Daybreak called NantG Mobile LLC "which has been formed to develop and publish mobile versions of Daybreak's current games -- H1Z1 & EverQuest".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited September 2018
    Weirdest MMOs and business day ever:

• CCP bought up by Pearl Abyss
    • THQ buys 38 Studios / Amalur assets
    • NCSoft closes down Carbine / WildStar
    • Daybreak Games' new investment & mobile H1Z1 / EQ news

Never seen so much activity of this sort in a single day ever.
    ceh430[Deleted User]SeelinnikoiazarhalEl-HefejimmywolfitchmonNildenGorwegervaise1and 13 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Sound like a Busy Day of events. I really hope Daybreak Games does more then just mobile.
    AngelDark128Tokken
  • AngelDark128AngelDark128 Member CommonPosts: 1
    i think daybreak is dead from a long time ago...
    LaviotabcbullyLime_Wiregastovski1
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I thought Daybreak was on the brink of shutting down or something a few months ago?
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

Ppiper said:

R.I.P. EQ

Personally, I would rather see EQ shut down then turned into a Mobile.
    MargraveNildennecrolockTokkenArgostArskaaaceh430ScotrojoArcueidkenguru23
  • MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    edited September 2018
    EQ mobile..... who the f thinks anyone wants that?
    Tokken
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    "Mobile games! What we have been begging for!" -Nobody: Ever
    SBFordbennylongNildenGorwenecrolockTokkenLokeroXingbairongceh430rojoArcueidand 6 others.
  • KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Was sad to see a potential new Everquest die in development. But if this is the alternative, please just let it stay dead. Let it keep whatever credibility it still has until someone who actually cares about the IP someday gets a hold of it.
    Gendgi
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited September 2018

Torval said:

So much bizarre activity in one day.

So much bizarre activity in one day.

That was bizarre. Is cleverbot roaming around this site?
    rojoArcueidMrMelGibson
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GnogGnog Member UncommonPosts: 19
    On the bright side, EQ mobile = no more poopsock.
    El-HefeMrMelGibson
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    Gnog said:
    On the bright side, EQ mobile = no more poopsock.
    Ummm,  because you can play it on the toilet,  and don't have to poop into your sock while at your computer desk?
    Gnogsschrupp

I've got the straight edge.

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    I am still not sure what daybreak games is and does.  Tax shelter? Holding companies buying and investing in investment companies.

Something just does not smell right about all this to me. Or maybe i am just turning into a conspiracy nut...time will tell i guess. 
    sschrupp
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    Sandmanjw said: 
    I am still not sure what daybreak games is and does.  Tax shelter? Holding companies buying and investing in investment companies.

Something just does not smell right about all this to me. Or maybe i am just turning into a conspiracy nut...time will tell i guess. 
    Honestly I'm not sure either.  From what I can tell.  When Sony Online Entertainment broke up a few of the devs invested in SOE's intellectual property rights.  Waiting for the right moment to sell them to a real company so they could retire.  Seems like today was the day.

I've got the straight edge.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    full moon? Just shut it all down already.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Major69er1Major69er1 Member UncommonPosts: 133

CCP bought up by Pearl Abyss
    THQ buys 38 Studios / Amalur assets
    NCSoft closes down Carbine / WildStar
    Daybreak Games' new investment & mobile H1Z1 / EQ news

And none of it Good for gamers
    KyleranPhry
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    People hate us already so let's go all the way down. Next stop; developing games for Facebook to farm personal information.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Great. More crusty old men investing in shit they couldnt give a damn about. After the brilliant slight of hand to say they were never part of Columbus Nova they've accomplished getting sold off again. Are they REALLY supported by continued EQ/H1Z1 subs??? They havent created anything new for substantial increased profit or profile for so long. On top of that they've lost soo many experienced positions since before SOE. This company is shady af.
  • MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199

Great. More crusty old men investing in shit they couldnt give a damn about. After the brilliant slight of hand to say they were never part of Columbus Nova they've accomplished getting sold off again. Are they REALLY supported by continued EQ/H1Z1 subs??? They havent created anything new for substantial increased profit or profile for so long. On top of that they've lost soo many experienced positions since before SOE. This company is shady af.

Maybe he is a die hard everquest fan and is exactly what they need!

I really wish eq would have something to bring me back. With the crap out there, no idea why they didnt send landmark into the survival sphere and just slowly develop it. Hell Landmark looks just as good as dark and light and Citadel forged with fire.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    SBFord said:

• CCP bought up by Pearl Abyss
    • THQ buys 38 Studios / Amalur assets
    • NCSoft closes down Carbine / WildStar
    • Daybreak Games' new investment & mobile H1Z1 / EQ news

Mm, if bad things come in threes, then one of these things must be good.  The mystery is which one of these news tidbits is a good thing?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Albatroes said:

I thought Daybreak was on the brink of shutting down or something a few months ago?

Indeed. Turned out though Columbus Nova (CN) - the entity with the problems - hadn't bought SoE as we believed. It was bought by an individual who was a "partner" (or whatever) in CN. Silly us.

Not sure how we missed that detail - maybe it had something to do with the press releases put out saying CN had bought SoE, DBG's website that said they were owned by CN etc. etc.

sausagemix
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    To me one of the things that this says about DBG - prior to this investment - is that DBG hadn't generated wnough revenue to fund the development of the "future mobile games". Not a surprise.

Also answers the "who would buy the EQ IP" question that several posters talked about. Don't think anyone came up with an "equity investment" - however its been structured. (Either direct investment in DBG or into this new company with assets transferred from DBG.)

Time will tell how it plays out. Wish it well for people who like EQ / H1Z1.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    No news about Planetside 2?
    That's also a Daybreak title.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Everquest, the original one, on mobile/tablet, i could see that working tbh as the system resources to run it would be minimal. Whether it would be profitable is another question entirely, perhaps if they went with the Everquest Online Adventures format that used to be on the PS2 ? :/
    MrMelGibsonMatimusmaximus
  • GendgiGendgi Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Every game that Daybreak is connected will be stained as a poor game, there is no escaping the bad reputation they created to themselves..
    Scot

-Meow -

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    i think daybreak is dead from a long time ago...

Welcome to the broads!

I wish it was not on a thread about closures and takeovers which will only result in the new owners seeking to milk the new acquisitions titles for a return on their buy out.