Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Developers Need To Do.

They need to become like Blizz Devs

Look how successful WoW is, 6 MILLION+ subscribers and still going, by the time the Expansion is out, they'rell be about 10 million subscribers, No doubt.

You know why?

They focus on imbalance PvP, nice game play & good PvE

They dont focus on making it DX10 worthy or needing 7800GTX's w/ SLI

No, They don't work on mega massive huge good looking graphics

Developers need to get that thru their heads, and gamers need to get their heads out of there ass, Graphics DOES NOT BEAT GAMEPLAY PERIOD!

p.s. I'm not a WoW fan boy, I retired earlier, but it seems I might be going back because every other mmorpg focuses on graphics and not gameplay

I love my family

Comments

• ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312
    'imbalance pvp'? Umm.. okay.. you mean balanced. And anyway, this is the objective of pretty much any mmo. However, you don't need pvp to be successful, it's a nice side addition however. But don't think just because they're godly in graphics that they're lacking in gameplay. Certainly, there's some that do just that but don't think it's 100%, there's nothing 100%.
  • Username!Username! Member Posts: 165
    Hahahaha.

WoW=WAY too overhyped. Which is why a lot of people play. Also, because half of them have never played another MMO before but know the name is popular.

I am a Blizzard fanboy but WoW killed it. I was so hyped up for it but found it was not what I wanted.
    I still like Starcraft and Diablo 2  !

• darkfalzdarkfalz Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Zhanghia
    'imbalance pvp'? Umm.. okay.. you mean balanced. And anyway, this is the objective of pretty much any mmo. However, you don't need pvp to be successful, it's a nice side addition however. But don't think just because they're godly in graphics that they're lacking in gameplay. Certainly, there's some that do just that but don't think it's 100%, there's nothing 100%.

you should read my post, Zhanghia. I said the graphcis aren't godly. Thats what makes it good, They have good gameplay, inexchange for mediocre graphics. Which is why so many people play, They choose gameplay over 100000000 pixels on a character.

PVP is imbalanced. Thats the way We like it, uhuhuhuhuh thats the way uh huh uh huh I like it. The Pvp is great to any other game, Hands down.

I love my family

Originally posted by Username!
    Hahahaha.

WoW=WAY too overhyped. Which is why a lot of people play. Also, because half of them have never played another MMO before but know the name is popular.

I am a Blizzard fanboy but WoW killed it. I was so hyped up for it but found it was not what I wanted.
    I still like Starcraft and Diablo 2  !

No young one, its UNDERHYPED. Go read the ratings and go read forums, They say WoW sucks, Yet theres 6 MILLION+ SUBSCRIBERS!

I love my family

• FaemusFaemus Member Posts: 321

Hmmm. Well while Blizzard has done several things well in their first mmorpg outing, I'd actually prefer it if Developers didn't follow blizzard as an example.

There's not enough innovation with mmorpg as is, and doing what the "success story" did is asking for gaming clones.

Not to completely disagree with your point, because there are indeed some things that other developers SHOULD learn from blizzard ( a thorough beta for example ) . But I wanna see some fresh angles dangit!

-- I need a nerf --

• ForgottenKnightForgottenKnight Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Not all companies got a fanbase from 1994 either... I think many of the current players have played Warcraft...I don't think it got anything to do with the game specs, they are fairly casual. They haven't chanced yet just played on safe cards. But the cost was that their game did nothing further to develop the mmorpg genre, just milk money from people :D so i bet your glad now eh

Originally posted by farahot
    Not all companies got a fanbase from 1994 either... I think many of the current players have played Warcraft...I don't think it got anything to do with the game specs, they are fairly casual. They haven't chanced yet just played on safe cards. But the cost was that their game did nothing further to develop the mmorpg genre, just milk money from people :D so i bet your glad now eh

I seriously doubt it.Everyone says they're from some other MMORPG. that i've grouped with, guilded with, teamspeaked & ventrilo'd with. Maybe 40% of the community played Wc1,2,3,D1,2,SC,SCBW.

40% = 2,400,000 players. Just for your information. So it might be lower.

I love my family

Originally posted by Faemus

Hmmm. Well while Blizzard has done several things well in their first mmorpg outing, I'd actually prefer it if Developers didn't follow blizzard as an example.
    There's not enough innovation with mmorpg as is, and doing what the "success story" did is asking for gaming clones.
    Not to completely disagree with your point, because there are indeed some things that other developers SHOULD learn from blizzard ( a thorough beta for example ) . But I wanna see some fresh angles dangit!

Yes, Here's a MINI MINI MINI SO MINI ITS MIN!

1. Loot droppings
    2. A shit load of variety in armor.
    3. Customization to the max! 1000% 
    4. Imbalanced Pvp
    5. Hardcore yet, funny. (Note the /sillys, etc. dancing, all that shit.)
    6. Crappy community, yet good guilding community

I love my family

• NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326

Let me guess.. WoW is the first MMORPG you have ever heard of/played? You sir, are nothing more than a regular WoW zealot.. Just admit it. All the things you listed as great features in WoW are really not that great. WoW hasnt got much to offer, infact WoW didnt bring anything new to the MMORPG market. They just took all the old ideas of MMORPG's and polished/dumbed them down so that even a chimp could play the game.

I could break down WoW to pieces here but I wont because I know you WoW zealots will look at me as I'm some kind of raving lunatic. Well hey, I might be just that but atleast I dont spend my days preaching to people about the holy grail of MMORPG's and how it's perfect in every way.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    *gasp* this fool dares to say anything good about WoW! Eve fanboys unite, flame him to oblivion and tell him to try the eve 14 day trial!

Originally posted by NeonShadow

Let me guess.. WoW is the first MMORPG you have ever heard of/played? You sir, are nothing more than a regular WoW zealot.. Just admit it. All the things you listed as great features in WoW are really not that great. WoW hasnt got much to offer, infact WoW didnt bring anything new to the MMORPG market. They just took all the old ideas of MMORPG's and polished/dumbed them down so that even a chimp could play the game.
    I could break down WoW to pieces here but I wont because I know you WoW zealots will look at me as I'm some kind of raving lunatic. Well hey, I might be just that but atleast I dont spend my days preaching to people about the holy grail of MMORPG's and how it's perfect in every way.

Read my signature

I've played:

Asherons Call
    Asherons Call 2
    City of Heroes
    City of Villains
    Guild wars
    Knight online
    World of Warcraft
    Auto Assault
    Dark age of Camelot
    Everquest
    Everquest II
    Eve online.

Nothing to see here, Move along.

I love my family

Originally posted by Gameloading
    *gasp* this fool dares to say anything good about WoW! Eve fanboys unite, flame him to oblivion and tell him to try the eve 14 day trial!

I played eve for 6 monthes, No thank you.

I love my family

• niatsnieniatsnie Member Posts: 19

All of you missed on one the best MMORPG that was ever made.  I played a bunch and this one stuck with me the most.  Earth and Beyond...  There's a big effort by the rest of the community to try to get it back, but who knows if EA with budge.  It's a sci-fi MMORPG, but a good anology to Eve Online would be....  A bus to a Ferrari.  EnB was fun, Eve was boring as hell.

If you wanna read more about it, check out:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/73502

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    I think it doesn't particularly matter that WoW didn't re-invent MMorpgs. What it matters is that it was a fun game from the first 5 seconds you logged in. That is what draw people in and let them play. By the time they are 60, they are hooked.

Most other MMorpgs before it required a buffer of hours, days, weeks or months before giving you "the good part". It became like a chore and most people do not want to be bored when they are supposed to be having fun.

What it matters, though, is that Blizzard showed that if you make a quality product, with dedication and inspiration, and you release it in a 90% finished status as opposed of 45%, people kinda notice the difference. Maybe, and this is a big maybe, in the future we can expect better MMorpg releases.

At least in that i would like other companies to follow Blizzard's example.

Have a nice day.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Blizzard made sure they had a polished product, dumbed it down like the candidates in a presidential election dumb down the issues and boom you have 6 million subscribers.

In conclusion, if you present a nice oversimplistic entity to people, no matter how retarded it is, they will like it because

A. it's presented well
    B. it's dumb enough for the average person to understand

That's called smart marketing. WoW had a strategy for making the most money and not the best game and they succeeded.

WoW is a bit weird as 1-59 is great and then once you hit 60 you spend hundreds of hours to get gear to do tougher raids to get gear to do even tougher raids to get gear to do even tougher raids and then you PvP in which with 40 people vs 40 you can have all uncommon items and reach a very high rank .

Blah. Diablo 2 (only on hardcore mode) + starcraft > WoW

Cryomatrix

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677
    And 3...2...1 let the wow bashing commence jk jk, but yeah how many of those accounts arent being played anymore? and how many of them are farmers over in china working for 50cents an hour?   wait till ole Vanguard comes along, if not that another game will take the top soon heck they waited way to long to release an expansion with the rate the levling goes etc, peeps need new content not just new 40 man raid dungeons....