Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Carbine Studios Shutting Down, WildStar to Close - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageCarbine Studios Shutting Down, WildStar to Close - MMORPG.com

WildStar developer Carbine Studios has announced that it is shutting down and that what remains of the developers are "in the process of identifying the teams that will be doing the work to bring WildStar to a close".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Sad to see yet another enjoyable game get closed down. Hopefully all the developers can land themselves more work in the industry quickly.
    RueTheWhirlSBFordAlverantSeelinnikoiPsYcHoGBRThupliwingoodSabracOctagon7711barasawaand 14 others.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited September 2018
    That took longer than expected.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    rojoArcueidalkarionlogAzaron_NightbladeMadFrenchieJeroKaneSBFord[Deleted User]mmolou[Deleted User]TEKK3Nand 24 others.
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It's messed up. There's far worse games doing extremely well.
    SBFordFrodoFraginsAlfeanaZalgotasAlverantSeelinnikoi[Deleted User]axtrantiThupliRicardo5802and 21 others.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I'm glad they were able to keep it running for so long. The devs that made Wildstar really had heart and made what they wanted to make. Obviously it didn't work as well as they had hoped, but NCsoft let the game run for quite a while on fumes and they aren't normally a company to do that, especially with something developed by someone that isn't them.

Hopefully they can land jobs somewhere good. 
    SBFord[Deleted User]Alverant[Deleted User]wingoodOctagon7711barasawaCazrielTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]and 1 other.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I'm genuinely sad to see this. WS was a well-developed, fun game, but ultimately just didn't ring the right bells in the MMO community. A shame, really.
    Panther2103[Deleted User]deniteralkarionlog[Deleted User]MadFrenchieAlverantSeelinnikoiPsYcHoGBR[Deleted User]and 17 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108
    I tried to like it but just could never get into it. Then when I eventually came back it was a ghost town trying to level and do dungeons.
    JeffSpicoliSBFord[Deleted User]AlverantAlomarwingoodOctagon7711Cazrielkenguru23TacticalZombehand 2 others.
  • ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Its sad to see a game of this caliber go down like this. If the game had done a couple things differently, it would most likely had so much more success.

I'd like to think the ground targeting feature was biggest turn-off for the masses, myself included.
    Followed by bad server management at peak times, causing lag at peak usage, and lack of people at low end of the spectrum.
    SBFord[Deleted User]ThuplihallucigenocideqomaJilynakenguru23sacredcow4ThaharRavie24
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Sad to hear, I truly feel if they would have had a console release, it would have saved the game. It wasn't a bad game at all, just needed to find its niche. 
    alkarionlogSBFord[Deleted User]AlomarJilynaThaharRavie24Steelhelm

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Feel bad for the developers. Admittedly I only played the game in beta but this proves two things:

1. The style of "raid or die" seems to be closing itself out. Hopefully we'll see the rise of sandbox MMO's. *Fingers Crossed*

2. NCSOFT seems to be a company that won't hesitate to close a game in a heartbeat if it starts to slip.
    deniterAlverantAlomarwingooditchmonJilynakenguru23Thahar

• XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606
    I think the biggest thing for me, was not having the same feeling I was getting when I watched their reveal trailers. They were funny and entertaining, but when you actually play the game, there is nothing like that to draw you in.
    SBFordPaxim1755AlomarcraftseekerPanserbjorne39Psym0nLucienRene
  • tav396tav396 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    should have ported it to console R.I.P.
    IzorkSBFord
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Nothing would have saved this game. It was just trying to be a WOW clone and it failed. We need more old school Sandbox MMORPGS that are P2P. I am glad we have Ashes and CU coming up. Hopefully they with be successful.
    AlomaritchmonbcbullyJilynaThahar
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    When you campaign against WoW, you really campaign against 100 million+ blizzard fans

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I had alotta fun with Wildstar , played to max lvl , enjoyed there housing feature , the classes were intersting .. The pop was bad

real shame
    [Deleted User]zigalucardRavie24
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I'm glad they were able to keep it running for so long. The devs that made Wildstar really had heart and made what they wanted to make. Obviously it didn't work as well as they had hoped, but NCsoft let the game run for quite a while on fumes and they aren't normally a company to do that, especially with something developed by someone that isn't them.

Hopefully they can land jobs somewhere good. 
    I personally couldn't stand the game, but have never been able to pinpoint exactly why I didn't enjoy it. It seems to have quite a few of the necessary ingredients to create a great MMORPG but for some reason those features just never seemed to jell into a coherent whole.
    I don't know what it was either. The people they had originally marketed towards, were the same people that should have loved the game. But nothing added up to a solid experience. I think I had one friend who stuck with it, when the first raids came out he was in the #2 guild in the game and on their main raid team, but fell off after that. After the second and third relaunches, the game basically proved there just was something missing. 

For me, I enjoyed every aspect. I enjoyed the art design, I enjoyed the classes, I enjoyed the combat, I enjoyed the difficulty, but then I just couldn't stick with the game. Maybe it's because it was all good but not great. To retain an audience something usually has to have that ONE aspect that keeps people hooked. Wildstar just lacked that. 
    Alomarcraftseeker[Deleted User]Kingsletter
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Sad but not in any way unexepcted.

Wildstar will always hold a place as decent replacement for SWG... But it never clicked with me. It lacked that magic spark that pulled me in.

Still have some stuff left unopened from the F2P conversion

This have been a good conversation

• H3llsingH3llsing Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Thank god. One more cash shop game going down the drain. 
    Rich84DakeruzigalucardJilynaThahar
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    I never once felt the urge to play this game as they had some fundamental design and marketing flaws. But it doesn't strike me as the type of game that should be completely shut down.
    Ravie24
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'll be honest, its about time. People were thinking this was gonna shut down 2 years (myself included). NCSoft comes out in the beginning of the year saying they're gonna support the game and then this is the only news we get since then, so yeah....It had ideas but honestly, whether people like to admit it or not, that combat isn't realistic for a 'hardcore' style game, always having to press something for hours on end depending on the content (seeing the many threads people are creating since Pagos release in FFXIV). Even if the combat was more 'traditional,' its just WoW in space with no real updates like new classes or a level increase (unless you want to count that matrix that didn't come until the game was pretty much dead). Too many things spelled the end for this game within its first year. Ontop of all this, that new project they were supposedly working on for about 2 years wont come to fruition either (was probably gonna be either a moba or battle royale just using the WS assets is my guess). So, its always sad to see something with potential fail but it honestly wasnt taken care off from the start to be too sad about it.
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403

When you campaign against WoW, you really campaign against 100 million+ blizzard fans

I’m not a blizzard fan and never liked wildstar I’m happy the crap is officially dead. I called it since release that it was crap and loudmouth fans of it called me names that’s what you get it...
    bcbully
  • NexeusSNexeusS Member UncommonPosts: 88
    H3llsing said:
    Thank god. One more cash shop game going down the drain. 
    Wildstar was in the complete opposite of P2W. Please do you research before bashing the game for no obvious reason. I would rather have Aion shut down than Wildstar, because WS doesn't deserve to be closed at all.
    AlomarAsch126barasawaitchmonRich84versulasJilynaThaharDiscipledOneRavie24
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Sad to see this go. I pop in from time to time to see what is new. This is what happens when you design a game from the ground up for a niche crowd. When the game launched it was a blast, some couldn't stand the telegraph system but that is on them. The issues came when the part of the game they designed the entire thing around actually showed it's head, raids. They built the game for raiders but the raiders didn't want to do the unlocks required to raid it seemed. Normal players didn't enjoy standing around for an hour just to try and fill a 40 man raid. And so it went on and on. Then they tried to add content at a rate that even a well established studio couldn't maintain and released broken stuff left an right. It was a train wreck to be honest. It was fun, but even the f2p conversion couldn't save it. Really sad to see another game go down. Seems like games are starting to close faster than releasing other than crap arena games.
    JilynaRavie24LucienRene
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    DeadSpock said:

I’m not a blizzard fan and never liked wildstar I’m happy the crap is officially dead. I called it since release that it was crap and loudmouth fans of it called me names that’s what you get it...
    Yup, the fans were the worst at the time. The biggest anti-WoW people ever, and even like you aren't a blizzard fan it didn't matter to them. It was either wildstar or WoW, nothing else.

Star Citizen fans though went "you thought wildstar fans were bad? Hold my beer"
    Ricardo5802AlomaritchmonTiamatRoarThahar

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    DeadSpock said:

Show me on this Chua where they hurt you...

Alverant[Deleted User]Dagon13[Deleted User]JunglecharlyMeleconwingoodRich84Gnogversulasand 6 others.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AwakenHDAwakenHD Member UncommonPosts: 23
    edited September 2018
    Tried it when it came out didn't saw anything better than what GW2 was proposing so didn't stay long I also remember that the combat was extremely boring with few spells didn't like the cartoon design too .
    AlomarLucienRene