Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes Of Creation - PAX West Alpha One Gameplay - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,176
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    What does no substance combat mean?
    There are few buttons to press, and the UI gives you no more information than you can get on the screen of your Swtich. :)
    Why always the Switch hate? It's blatantly obvious you don't own one. I'm betting you never even got your hands on one considering you past comments.
    I think Torval has one so I like to wind him up about it. :)
    Nah Torv has a WiiU he hasn’t picked up the Switch yet regardless of my urging him to do so :) 
    The WiiU? I will use that for reference in the future. :)
    MrMelGibsonblueturtle13

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,557
    edited September 2018
    Optioning tab-target in a free targeting game is a contradiction. How does that even work?

I'm perfectly lining up my opponent and timing my attacks while  their attacks magic-bullet curve to hit me every time?

There has to be more to it.
    If you tab to a targed your hits will aim said target. If you don't tab to a target your hits will travel following your screen target mark and follow hit-detection mechanics while traveling.

I'll give an example, not a great one tho: In GW2 if you swing your sword the hit-detection will say if it hits whoever is on it's proximity... When you do Leap Strike with a Greatsword you'll leap the skill distance straight ahead, but if you are tab targeting someone you'll leap to your target instead.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • MatimusmaximusMatimusmaximus Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Please use something like z-targeting from zelda for the melee combat. No one likes the swing'your-club-in-circles mele fighting that it seems this game will have.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited September 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Relampago said:
    I am more impressed after watching this. I ks many games but passed on this one because I did not think they would make it like CoE. They appear to be proving me wrong.
    They have shown more progress in a shorter time frame than almost any other crowd funded MMO out there which totally surprised me for sure.

They still claim to be on schedule for an end of 2019 launch which if Steven pulls off will put him and his team firmly in the annals of gaming history.

Assuming it doesn't suck of course.

;)
    If they make that release and it's well-received, I can see a whole lot of gamers and journalists in general giving the other crowdfunded projects that "so now what's the excuse?" look.

Rightfully so.
    Kyleran

edited September 2018
    Nyctelios said:
    Optioning tab-target in a free targeting game is a contradiction. How does that even work?

I'm perfectly lining up my opponent and timing my attacks while  their attacks magic-bullet curve to hit me every time?

If you tab to a targed your hits will aim said target. If you don't tab to a target your hits will travel following your screen target mark and follow hit-detection mechanics while traveling.

I'll give an example, not a great one tho: In GW2 if you swing your sword the hit-detection will say if it hits whoever is on it's proximity... When you do Leap Strike with a Greatsword you'll leap the skill distance straight ahead, but if you are tab targeting someone you'll leap to your target instead.
    Well I enjoyed GW2 for the action combat it had, the tab-target felt awkward.  It felt quite clear that the tab-target was a system trying to work within a non-targetted combat system, not like two control schemes that worked equally well in the game.

Hopefully AoC doesn't leave gamers with such a feeling.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,675
    edited September 2018
    Personally, after hearing the details on how they are going to try to make both systems work in tandem with each other, it just sounds like a waste of time and manpower that they are lacking. Even if they expand their team to say 200, that's still pretty 'low' (if you go by SE/Yoshida's standards since they have a team of around 300 working on FFXIV). They should just use certain types of combat for certain modes so they can have other systems worked on faster. If they do that, then they can work on incorporating other types of combat into other modes later down the line. That seems to be a common problem with these indie titles in general, not knowing what's important and what isn't. Not everything has to be in the game upon release. Would it be nice? Sure. But it just opens itself into more things that "have" to be on release. They need to look restraint.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 9,821

Hello friends,

It’s important to note this action combat will be integrated into a tab/action hybrid. This footage is our 100% action only testing. ❤️

Don’t worry about the 14 tab target pve only guys on this site. Those types kill games and have stifled the industry. The game looks great.

Oh and Hell yeah on the block button!
    MadFrenchieKyleran
    bcbully said:

Hello friends,

It’s important to note this action combat will be integrated into a tab/action hybrid. This footage is our 100% action only testing. ❤️

Don’t worry about the 14 tab target pve only guys on this site. Those types kill games and have stifled the industry. The game looks great.

Oh and Hell yeah on the block button!
    You're way too emotionally-invested in trying to prove shit nobody is even talking about.
    bcbullyskadad

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,849
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    There are few buttons to press, and the UI gives you no more information than you can get on the screen of your Swtich. :)
    Why always the Switch hate? It's blatantly obvious you don't own one. I'm betting you never even got your hands on one considering you past comments.
    I actually don't. I would like to buy one. I've seen them in action and they are amazing. A friend has special boot roms and can play PS1 and early NES EMUs on it. It's a little powerhouse.
    MadFrenchie
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    How very English of you mate ;)
    Scot definitely likes to take it out of me hahaha. :D
    ConstantineMerus
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

I have never seen a hybrid system that truly offers binary options. It is always one system with a "UI" option to emulate the other one. Guild Wars 2 comes to mind. I'm trying to think of other games that offer hybrid options but can't come up with other examples at the moment. I'm sure there are some.

So, I also wonder what this will end up like for Ashes. If they've ever said anything to give me pause, this has been it. Not that it is a huge deal to me. I can handle Tab Target and Action, but I think it's better to focus on a single approach and do it well.
    kenguru23

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,557
    Nyctelios said:

Well I enjoyed GW2 for the action combat it had, the tab-target felt awkward.  It felt quite clear that the tab-target was a system trying to work within a non-targetted combat system, not like two control schemes that worked equally well in the game.

Well, for me it's the complete opposite: I actually love the mix of the two. Certains skills goes for to your target and certain skills just use hit collision mechanics.

I don't understand the fuss about it. How would you Leap strike someone if you can't aim at someone? It's an AOE then, not a Leap Strike attack.
    MadFrenchie
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
    Nyctelios said:
    Nyctelios said:

Well, for me it's the complete opposite: I actually love the mix of the two. Certains skills goes for to your target and certain skills just use hit collision mechanics.

I don't understand the fuss about it. How would you Leap strike someone if you can't aim at someone? It's an AOE then, not a Leap Strike attack.
    I felt ESO's hybrid system came more naturally.  The sticky-targetting, while it falls short of true tab-target, worked well with the action combat nature of the game.

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 495
    edited September 2018
    Diablo 3 styled combat effects aren't meant to be viewed that close up honestly. Can you imagine the cluster f#$% that will happen with just 5-10 people on screen? They need to scale that stuff back and save the flashy special effects for the big important attacks/events.

That character teleport had more particle effects than some "final attacks" in some fighting games. Sheesh.

Totally agree, looks like it will end up as bad as BDO's horrible over the top effects where in 5-6 man world boss fights you cant see anything but a blinding lightshow of effects.  I could not imagine a WOW sized raid group much less anything bigger.  Solo gameplay was barely tolerable but still over the top.  
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 835
    Warframe wants his Art Director back.
    Kyleran
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 535
    So apparently tab targeting and action combat actually work differently in terms of damage.

Every attack has both a tab target version and an action combat version. The tab target version is a bit weaker by default, since it can't miss unless you time your dodges correctly. The action combat version, as we see, works like Tera/BDO/ESO/etc where you gotta aim it and it will apparently be a bit stronger [meaning that, power-wise, tab targetting is weaker, but won't miss while action is stronger, but you have to aim].
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,628
    over the shoulder view is the worst thing ever invented in games.

scratch this one off the list.
    Leilonikenguru23
  • Lambon23Lambon23 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    This looks fantastic. A real test of skills. This will be insanely popular if they can clean it up. PVP is KING. PUBG and DotA 2 are proof.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,257
    Asch126 said:
    So apparently tab targeting and action combat actually work differently in terms of damage.

Every attack has both a tab target version and an action combat version. The tab target version is a bit weaker by default, since it can't miss unless you time your dodges correctly. The action combat version, as we see, works like Tera/BDO/ESO/etc where you gotta aim it and it will apparently be a bit stronger [meaning that, power-wise, tab targetting is weaker, but won't miss while action is stronger, but you have to aim].
    Oh yea no way that will cause problems...
    KyleranFlyByKnightScotJamesGoblin
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,176
    Leiloni said:
    Asch126 said:

Oh yea no way that will cause problems...
    This does seem prone to issues, I could understand say using tab for PvE and action for PvP or working like Nyctelios said with it being a mix between the two. Age of Conan had a partial action system that worked well enough. But having one way of fighting do less damage than another, that should be putting the balloon up as a concern.

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,494
    Asch126 said:

In many games, some moves are harder to hit with than others but are given more power or utility to compensate.  That's going to be an... interesting consideration they'll have to take into place if they have an action version and a tab-target auto-hit version of every move or skill in the game.

It also means they'll have to program the mechanics for every move and skill TWICE.  I can't help but think that's a rather wasteful use of resources.
  • SpiritalkerSpiritalker Member UncommonPosts: 3
    What i can say, as baker from last year disapointed.
    When western developpers make eastern game ...

But as i read, it's only 1st phase and what we saw RvR attack, adds the shop leaving before game come out. i thi i put lots of hope in this game but last i saw it's a financial thing. and i just leveled up my subscription last month.

Enjoy u'r next BDO style game.
  • Torin_KhaosTorin_Khaos Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited September 2018
    Looks nice. I am still waiting to see if its more meaningful pvp or the usual random gankfest. I still think players will figure out how to manipulate the code put in place turning it into a gank / bot game like most the others out there.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,246
    edited September 2018
    Dvora said:
    Diablo 3 styled combat effects aren't meant to be viewed that close up honestly. Can you imagine the cluster f#$% that will happen with just 5-10 people on screen? They need to scale that stuff back and save the flashy special effects for the big important attacks/events.

That character teleport had more particle effects than some "final attacks" in some fighting games. Sheesh.

Totally agree, looks like it will end up as bad as BDO's horrible over the top effects where in 5-6 man world boss fights you cant see anything but a blinding lightshow of effects.  I could not imagine a WOW sized raid group much less anything bigger.  Solo gameplay was barely tolerable but still over the top.  
    Turn down particle effects in options, problem solved.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,131
    I can overlook a lot of stuff on early alpha footage but I find the extreme over-use of special effects, the colors chosen for those effects and the camera just too close behind your character annoying because they hide the actual fighting... but maybe that's the point :)

This demo just looks like a garish, chaotic mess to me.
    Scot
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED