Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Middle-earth Enterprises Partners with Athlon Games for New Lord of the Rings MMO - MMORPG.com News

1235»

Comments

• GameolioDanGameolioDan Member UncommonPosts: 50

SlyLoK said:

I'm going to wait for details before getting hyped.

I really hope it is about middle Earth and not the ring or fellowship this time.

Yeah, I like that idea.
    G'day! Aussie guy that records videos of his gameplay. I stream gameplay too.

Youtube: http://youtube.com/c/gameoliodan
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/gameoliodan
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Cazriel said:
    The Saul Zaentz Company owns Middle-earth Enterprises. They own the film, stage, merchandizing and other rights to the Hobbit, LOTR and "other literary works" of Tolkien.

In their announcement, LeYou repeatedly say that their new MMO will be based on the Lord of the Rings. But it won't. It will likely be based on the Silmarillion, which is a collection of stories about the First Age. You can't have an MMO based on the Lord of the Rings that only covers "events leading up to LOTR". Leading up to LOTR is not the same as LOTR. Just like The Hobbit isn't the same as LOTR.

If you've never heard of the Silmarillion, I'm not surprised. Few have and it has little name recognition outside we few Tolkien fans who acquired it in the 1970s, when it was first published. (It's a collection of Tolkien's Middle-earth creation stories that were finished and edited by Christopher after his father's death.)

Naturally, no one's going to announce they are making an MMO based on the Silmarillion. The what? Much better to announce they are making an MMO based in the Middle-earth universe of LOTR. A new Lord of the Rings MMO! See how much better that is?

I'm doubtful this license of a part of the LOTR IP will have any effect on LOTRO. SSG's license actually includes the Lord of the Rings timeframe, whereas it's clear that LeYou has licensed a timeframe that precedes the events of the Lord of the Rings, and not the Lord of the Rings itself.

If you're insistent on being hyped this far out, just remember to be hyped for A Silmarillion MMO.
    I'm not sure it would be a commercial success, but from a personal standpoint, I'm OK with the game not being in the LOTR period.  I've already had a complete LOTR experience in LOTRO.  I'm not sure how much more another game in that era could bring to the table that hasn't already been done.
    MrMelGibson
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck.
    kitaradScorchienFrodoFragins

You stay sassy!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Quizzical said:
    And they didn't even announce that they're planning to fund it via Kickstarter. Yet.
    Sarcasm aside not a hope. This will be released to tie in with / on the back of / to take advantage of whatever hype and advertising come with the launch of the Amazon TV series. Which will be worldwide. Hence "pre-LotR" timeframe .... the Amazon TV series is "pre-LotR" timeframe.

One unknown - and as yet it may be an unanswered question as they may not have talked to Amazon - to what extent it will mimic the TV series. Always possible it doesn't of course.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Tamanous said:
    Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck.
    I think this bird here is trying to say something.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    I pretty much have no hope of any mmo releasing this and upcoming years to be any good. Hope i am very wrong.
    NildenFrodoFragins

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited September 2018
    Malvious said:
    I pretty much have no hope of any mmo releasing this and upcoming years to be any good. Hope i am very wrong.
    So you hope of having no hope is hopefully wrong. Someone's an optimist ;) 
    MalviousMargraveNilden[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    DMKano said:

sgel said:

Wow.. that's very unexpected!

The thing is we dont know exactly how this game will be - could be web browser game for all we know lol

Could be a voxel minecraft type game.

A 2D pixel game

An isometric type game.

Or it could have really dated graphics like Runescape 

Or maybe it's anime stylized

Could be instanced to hell.

Etc...

Too little details at this point - I wouldn't get excited until way more info is known

Show us gameplay videos - then we can talk.
    You forgot... "It might not even happen" :P

Wouldn't be the first MMO to get cancelled before ever seeing a launch.

Still good news to hear, but I'll be tempering my optimism until I see more, yeah.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Asheram said:
    danwest58 said:
    I will past on another P2W MMORPG. Its Either a B2P game like ESO or P2P. I dont do F2P anymore and never will again.
    You do know that ESO has a cash shop right? No way to judge  this right now to early.
    The cash shop is just cosmetic items, it has no effect on gameplay whatsoever!
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    The team developing the game is headed by Dave Miller who is the general manager of Athlon Games. Craig Mitchell is also on the team. (Global Brand Director) 
    They previously worked for Warner Brothers Interactive. 
    Dave was in charge of the team that created Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max. 
    These are not unknown or ill equipped 
    professionals.
    The only question I have is how will they monetize the project. Hopefully it is more like Warframe and less like Dirty Bomb. 

Thanks for the info mate. These people you've mentioned sure seem to know what they're doing. I'm interested in the project's scope and budget. Do you have any idea how many zeroes are lined up? 
    Well Middle -Earth Enterprises has a minimum viable asset allotment on new digital projects with the IP so it should be in the $20-$30 million range.
     It could be a little higher or a touch lower but based on Leyou's past funding allocations it would make sense and fit their past budgetary funding.
    Another nice addition to the project is Richard Browne (He worked for THQ for a number of years)He oversaw the Big Huge Games purchase and worked with some well known teams to launch multiple titles over the years. Including TitanQuest, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes. 

One thing to note is Athlon Games is partnering with an established development team to create this title and before people freak out about that yes it is a Western developer,one that the team at Athlon has a history already with ;)
    STILL LIES!  IT'S A CHINESE HOAX!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ozmodan said:
    Asheram said:
    danwest58 said:
    I will past on another P2W MMORPG. Its Either a B2P game like ESO or P2P. I dont do F2P anymore and never will again.
    You do know that ESO has a cash shop right? No way to judge  this right now to early.
    Not to make a big deal out of this but that's not accurate. Yes, the majority of it is cosmetic but there are quite a few "convenience" items in there too.

There are XP scrolls, crafting research scrolls, mount riding skill-up scrolls, werewolf and vampire "bites", potions, poisons and food consumables, etc. There's even a whole class in there for sale, the Warden. This is all very much just like F2P games.

There is not really very much about ESO other than the need to have at some point bought a version of the game (frequently for as little as $9.99) that differentiates it from the better F2P games out there like Warframe or POE.

There is nothing about B2P + cash shop games these days that make them inherently better than F2P games and neither term is particularly useful or descriptive about what you can expect. There are good B2P and F2P examples as well as shitty greedy ones. I think a lot of our bias about B2P and F2P is frankly totally outdated.

The sensible thing to do with this new Middle Earth game is just wait and see how they do their version of F2P.
    Ozmodan[Deleted User]gervaise1
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So LOTR Battle Royale?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

edited September 2018
    Iselin said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Asheram said:
    danwest58 said:
    Not to make a big deal out of this but that's not accurate. Yes, the majority of it is cosmetic but there are quite a few "convenience" items in there too.

There are XP scrolls, crafting research scrolls, mount riding skill-up scrolls, werewolf and vampire "bites", potions, poisons and food consumables, etc. There's even a whole class in there for sale, the Warden. This is all very much just like F2P games.

There is not really very much about ESO other than the need to have at some point bought a version of the game (frequently for as little as $9.99) that differentiates it from the better F2P games out there like Warframe or POE.

There is nothing about B2P + cash shop games these days that make them inherently better than F2P games and neither term is particularly useful or descriptive about what you can expect. There are good B2P and F2P examples as well as shitty greedy ones. I think a lot of our bias about B2P and F2P is frankly totally outdated.

The sensible thing to do with this new Middle Earth game is just wait and see how they do their version of F2P.
    Oh give me a break, not one thing you mentioned effects gameplay and most of what you mentioned is also available in game.  It is very rare for a f2p game to strictly have cosmetic items only.  There is always something that is needed for gameplay.
    Iselin
    Ozmodan said:
    Iselin said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Asheram said:
    danwest58 said:

Oh give me a break, not one thing you mentioned effects gameplay and most of what you mentioned is also available in game.
    You must have a very peculiar definition of "effects gameplay." How the fuck do XP scrolls, riding skill up scrolls, research speed-up scrolls not affect game play?

Convenience items, whether or not they have an in-game counterpart, by frigging definition affect game play by making getting at some grindy shit more convenient.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    But according to the people on this board that were trying to kill LotRO all these years, a new MMO would have been like MEO and would be far deeper and more rich in gameplay...?!?!?!?!!??
    Iselin said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Iselin said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Asheram said:
    danwest58 said:

Oh give me a break, not one thing you mentioned effects gameplay and most of what you mentioned is also available in game.
    You must have a very peculiar definition of "effects gameplay." How the fuck do XP scrolls, riding skill up scrolls, research speed-up scrolls not affect game play?

Convenience items, whether or not they have an in-game counterpart, by frigging definition affect game play by making getting at some grindy shit more convenient.
    Again, your examples are just ludicrous.  the effects of what you claim to be convenience items are so minor as to be a complete joke.   Unless you want to throw big money at a game to speed up the grind they are completely unpractical.
    Ozmodan said:
    Iselin said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Iselin said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Asheram said:
    danwest58 said:

Again, your examples are just ludicrous.  the effects of what you claim to be convenience items are so minor as to be a complete joke.   Unless you want to throw big money at a game to speed up the grind they are completely unpractical.
    Getting you riding speed to 60 is not a must have for Cyrodiil PvP? Good to know :)

And how exactly do you do that it in less than 60 days with in game items? The one and only way to speed it up is to buy it in the cash shop.

If you actually want to also max riding stamina so you don't get dismounted by taking damage as easily now we're talking 120 days. Or you can max both in 5 minutes by opening up your wallet in the crown store.

Give your head a shake.  

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    edited September 2018
    Cazriel said:
    The Saul Zaentz Company owns Middle-earth Enterprises. They own the film, stage, merchandizing and other rights to the Hobbit, LOTR and "other literary works" of Tolkien.

In their announcement, LeYou repeatedly say that their new MMO will be based on the Lord of the Rings. But it won't. It will likely be based on the Silmarillion, which is a collection of stories about the First Age. You can't have an MMO based on the Lord of the Rings that only covers "events leading up to LOTR". Leading up to LOTR is not the same as LOTR. Just like The Hobbit isn't the same as LOTR.

If you've never heard of the Silmarillion, I'm not surprised. Few have and it has little name recognition outside we few Tolkien fans who acquired it in the 1970s, when it was first published. (It's a collection of Tolkien's Middle-earth creation stories that were finished and edited by Christopher after his father's death.)

Naturally, no one's going to announce they are making an MMO based on the Silmarillion. The what? Much better to announce they are making an MMO based in the Middle-earth universe of LOTR. A new Lord of the Rings MMO! See how much better that is?

I'm doubtful this license of a part of the LOTR IP will have any effect on LOTRO. SSG's license actually includes the Lord of the Rings timeframe, whereas it's clear that LeYou has licensed a timeframe that precedes the events of the Lord of the Rings, and not the Lord of the Rings itself.

If you're insistent on being hyped this far out, just remember to be hyped for A Silmarillion MMO.
    Don't count on it being based on the silmarillion unless they announce a deal with the Tolkien Estate.  MEE doesn't own the silmarillion rights, they only own rights to The hobbit and LOTR.  And the Estate has never allowed a game based on the silmarillion. 

They did apparently make a deal with Amazon in some form but I'm not sure on what as that show is apparently based on a young aragorn which wouldnt require the estate.  Maybe they made a deal just to prevent future rights lawsuits. /shrug

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    The team developing the game is headed by Dave Miller who is the general manager of Athlon Games. Craig Mitchell is also on the team. (Global Brand Director) 
    They previously worked for Warner Brothers Interactive. 
    Dave was in charge of the team that created Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max. 
    These are not unknown or ill equipped 
    professionals.
    The only question I have is how will they monetize the project. Hopefully it is more like Warframe and less like Dirty Bomb. 

Thanks for the info mate. These people you've mentioned sure seem to know what they're doing. I'm interested in the project's scope and budget. Do you have any idea how many zeroes are lined up? 
    Well Middle -Earth Enterprises has a minimum viable asset allotment on new digital projects with the IP so it should be in the $20-$30 million range.
     It could be a little higher or a touch lower but based on Leyou's past funding allocations it would make sense and fit their past budgetary funding.
    Another nice addition to the project is Richard Browne (He worked for THQ for a number of years)He oversaw the Big Huge Games purchase and worked with some well known teams to launch multiple titles over the years. Including TitanQuest, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes. 

One thing to note is Athlon Games is partnering with an established development team to create this title and before people freak out about that yes it is a Western developer,one that the team at Athlon has a history already with ;)
    Where are you getting this info?

Who are they partnering with?