Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Esports & the Olympics Unlikely - 'So-Called Killer Games Are Contrary to Olympic Values'

13»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited September 2018
    These are the Olympic values: Friendship, Respect and Excellence. 

Do they think teams don't form friendships? Do they believe one cannot excel at a shooter game? Or maybe they think shooting one's virtual character is considered disrespect?

As a retired eSports player and an Olympian, I don't believe eSports should be in the Olympics. Heck we barely got chess in just once and will get one more time, and they might keep it. A game which has been recognized by the committee as a sport since forever. Despite the growth of eSports in the past decade, I still can't put it next to any other sport. So yeah, I don't believe they should be included in the Olympics. But not for this silly reason which is rather offensive. 

This reminded me of a conversation with my middle-school's principal:

"There has been rumors about how you enjoy Rock music, is this true?"

"Well, yes."

"It seems you don't understand our values."

"No, it seems you don't understand your values."
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • waipowrectdeapr1976waipowrectdeapr1976 Member CommonPosts: 8
    The same Olympic commission that turns a blind eye to steroids and has Mc Donald's and Coke as their prime sponsor.
    Nice values IOC!!!!
    ConstantineMerus
  • evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    e-sports have no place in the Olympics, I agree on that part.
    But it would be cool to have e-lympics. Same kind of format like the Olympics, but then with just e-sports.
    mmolou
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    "Esports" has no place in the Olympics. I'm a gamer at heart and love it but I am also an actual Athlete and by no means should video games be a sport in the Olympics. You gotta be kidding me
    Same, played baseball, basketball, and golf all at high levels....Playing a video game is nothing compared to training for a sport.
    Okay... but have you played video games at a "high level"?  I.e. on a team.

I play golf and enjoy it.  I think it's a ridiculous sport and you won't see me on a master's tournament, but that doesn't mean I'm going to set one sport above another.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Its unclear what he means by "killer-games". Does that refer to games like Call of Duty etc where players are actually shooting other human avatars?

I would have thought games like LoL or Starcraft would be prime candidates for Olympic competition given they are already strongly established as esports and could hardly be classified as "killer games".

Also note that the media coverage of this is strangely skewed. Most articles are running headlines like "Esports too violent for Olympics", but the content of the reports only shows that Bach is against games that promote violence or discrimination, surely that leaves enormous scope for esports to be introduced sometime in the future. 

Shouldn't the message from this be rather that there is scope for non "killer games" to become an Olympic sport?
  • DecardCainDecardCain Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Why even think of mixing Olympics and e-sports? These are two separate worlds and they have completely different audience.
    JeffSpicoli
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Doesn't the Olympics have sports where people run around discharging firearms at targets?

Yes indeedums
    https://www.olympic.org/shooting

Please provide better reasoning. Thank you.
    They aren't "killing" they are shooting targets.

The Olympics really isn't about taking out your opponent with head shots.

And they have "Wrestling" not "Ultimate Fighting Champion bouts."
    JeffSpicoli
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Esports in the Olympics would be retarded. The day this actually happens will be a stupid and sad day.
    but I could see them creating their own olympics......
    Yeah, As a fan of the Olympics i dont feel gaming has a place but it would be cool to see it gets its own form of the competition . Although I'm not sure the younger generation would embrace any form of competition where you are solely representing your home country, People would probably find some nutty way to spin it into a protest of organized bigotry and toxic patriotism..... lol
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158

Do they think teams don't form friendships? Do they believe one cannot excel at a shooter game? Or maybe they think shooting one's virtual character is considered disrespect?

As a retired eSports player and an Olympian, I don't believe eSports should be in the Olympics. Heck we barely got chess in just once and will get one more time, and they might keep it. A game which has been recognized by the committee as a sport since forever. Despite the growth of eSports in the past decade, I still can't put it next to any other sport. So yeah, I don't believe they should be included in the Olympics. But not for this silly reason which is rather offensive. 

"Well, yes."

Chess has no place in the Olympics, it's goal is to take out the pawns ( classism ) and then capture the king. This is obviously a war game.
    JeffSpicoliConstantineMerus
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Blueliner said:

"Well, yes."

Chess has no place in the Olympics, it's goal is to take out the pawns ( classism ) and then capture the king. This is obviously a war game.
    Not to mention all those plastic pawns slaughtered right in front of the children!! ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    DMKano said:
    YashaX said:
    Its unclear what he means by "killer-games". Does that refer to games like Call of Duty etc where players are actually shooting other human avatars?

I would have thought games like LoL or Starcraft would be prime candidates for Olympic competition given they are already strongly established as esports and could hardly be classified as "killer games".

Also note that the media coverage of this is strangely skewed. Most articles are running headlines like "Esports too violent for Olympics", but the content of the reports only shows that Bach is against games that promote violence or discrimination, surely that leaves enormous scope for esports to be introduced sometime in the future. 

Shouldn't the message from this be rather that there is scope for non "killer games" to become an Olympic sport?

"killer games" - in this case means games where players kill each other - PUBG, Fortnite, CoD etc...
    Cool, sounds like we should have some Olympic esports coming our way soon then considering many games don't sit in that category.

What games do you think would be interesting to watch as an Olympic sport?

One of the hurdles I see is the shear number of games and genres to choose from, and the benefits for the company that made the game- as opposed to other sports which aren't "owned" by a specific company (I think).
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2018
    YashaX said:
    DMKano said:
    YashaX said:

"killer games" - in this case means games where players kill each other - PUBG, Fortnite, CoD etc...
    Cool, sounds like we should have some Olympic esports coming our way soon then considering many games don't sit in that category.

One of the hurdles I see is the shear number of games and genres to choose from, and the benefits for the company that made the game- as opposed to other sports which aren't "owned" by a specific company (I think).
    It also adds the issue of the company constantly changing or tweaking the game unilaterally.  Rule changes in organizations like the NFL are done by committee that involves coaches and other executives from the league's teams themselves.  Developers don't generally create patches by calling on a committee made up of league team members to dictate changes that may be needed.

For instance: if an Overwatch team has a member who runs S76 a lot, and Blizzard buffs S76 heading into a season, that team may be given an advantage because of a unilateral decision by Blizzard that the other teams couldn't have foreseen or prepared for.
    YashaX

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    YashaX said:
    DMKano said:
    YashaX said:

As someone mentioned above, games are not a sport, they are a hobby, hence they have no place in the Olympics.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    One thing you guys have to admit imagine THIS at the Olympics representing USA...just AWESOME

YashaX
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Chess still isn't in the olympics. Esports is literally decades away, if at all.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kyleran said:
    Phry said:
    Hariken said:
    I'm amazed that someone would even think to ask this question. No, "e-sports" and the vast majority of its competitors have no place at the olympics.
    Thank god some good sense.
    E sports in the Olympics is just really stupid.
    I know right, i mean if you allowed that then you might end up with some idiot suggesting bouncing up and down on a trampoline could be an olympic event  :p
    Or prancing about with a bit of ribbon on a stick.
    Or whisk-brooming the ice in "curling"

;)

I think the prancing around with a ribbon on a stick has possibilities, im sure a pretty girl in the next to nothing dancing around with one could be very popular, especially in nightclubs :p
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Esports in the Olympics would be retarded. The day this actually happens will be a stupid and sad day.
    but I could see them creating their own olympics......
    It's called Twitch.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited September 2018
    hu, and there i thought the olympic thought was to play games to replace the killing.
    sounds exactly like gaming to me :pensive:

history, it's your friend, no food!
    YashaX

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    DMKano said:
    Doesn't the Olympics have sports where people run around discharging firearms at targets?

Yes indeedums

The targets are not human shaped painted with flags of their competition.

What is the sole purpose of the contraption in their hands and the ballistics that that are being expelled from them?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Sovrath said:

Yes indeedums

They aren't "killing" they are shooting targets.

The Olympics really isn't about taking out your opponent with head shots.

And they have "Wrestling" not "Ultimate Fighting Champion bouts."
    I think the Co2 levels on earth are going to increase until the entire human race has lost their common sense... then it's over.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Ozmodan said:
    YashaX said:
    DMKano said:
    YashaX said:

As someone mentioned above, games are not a sport, they are a hobby, hence they have no place in the Olympics.
    Some nobody on this thread may have said that, doesn't mean shit.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    I for one have been wanting Gladiatorial Combat to make a return.

That said there is a reason why Chess isn't in the Olympics.  But I see no reason for there not to be an "elympics" in the future, since it's starting to get its own legitimate professional teams.  I mean, it's all about trying to kill your opponent's king and use pawns as sacrifice -- plus it's all a game involving the mind and not physical as has been traditional.

"Chess was an exhibition sport at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. ... Additionally, an application for chess to be included as a sport at the 2020 games in Tokyo has been submitted. Chess is recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee."

Huh... Well, surely nothing like Karate will be accepted.  Way too violent.

"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today agreed to add baseball/softball, karate, skateboard, sports climbing and surfing to the sports ..."

Well, I'm out of things to say.

YashaX
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    I for one have been wanting Gladiatorial Combat to make a return.

That said there is a reason why Chess isn't in the Olympics.  But I see no reason for there not to be an "elympics" in the future, since it's starting to get its own legitimate professional teams.  I mean, it's all about trying to kill your opponent's king and use pawns as sacrifice -- plus it's all a game involving the mind and not physical as has been traditional.

"Chess was an exhibition sport at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. ... Additionally, an application for chess to be included as a sport at the 2020 games in Tokyo has been submitted. Chess is recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee."

Huh... Well, surely nothing like Karate will be accepted.  Way too violent.

"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today agreed to add baseball/softball, karate, skateboard, sports climbing and surfing to the sports ..."

Well, I'm out of things to say.

Muay Thai and mma are basically gladiatorial combat (minus the swords and lions!).
  • styxleoibatstyxleoibat Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited August 2021
    I love esports, even tried to join the competition.