Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Esports & the Olympics Unlikely - 'So-Called Killer Games Are Contrary to Olympic Values'

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'm actually a bit surprised that the IOC seems adverse to admitting esports.  Good for them.  (One small step taken).

Ozmodan

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Aeander said:
    I would ask why professional gamers even want to be compared to athletes. If I were one them, I would not want to be even distantly associated with them. To be compared to a spouse-beating football player or any other steroid-fueled, overpaid meathead would be an insult, not a complement.
    That's being a bit general.  The vast majority of athletes haven't been involved in anything of the sort.

And really, gamers can't throw stones due to a recently erected glass house down in Florida.  When one of our own goes on a shooting rampage, pointing to personal issues in other entertainment industries is a tricky endeavor.
    There are 1.8 billion gamers out there. More than people driving cars. The likelihood of a lot of them being criminals or psychopaths is there.

There is no such thing as "our own" when it comes to gaming, as there is no such thing as "our own" when it comes to watching netflix. If a netflix subscriber goes ballistic and starts shooting people, the moral impact on the rest of the subscribers is exactly zero. The exact same thing holds true for gamers.
    OzmodanAeander
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    So why would a football video game be excluded?

I don't fault the ultimate decision. I think esports are not sports at all. But that's not the reason they gave for disallowing them. And the reason they gave excludes all video games, not just the ones with guns.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Xasapis said:
    Aeander said:
    I would ask why professional gamers even want to be compared to athletes. If I were one them, I would not want to be even distantly associated with them. To be compared to a spouse-beating football player or any other steroid-fueled, overpaid meathead would be an insult, not a complement.
    That's being a bit general.  The vast majority of athletes haven't been involved in anything of the sort.

And really, gamers can't throw stones due to a recently erected glass house down in Florida.  When one of our own goes on a shooting rampage, pointing to personal issues in other entertainment industries is a tricky endeavor.
    There are 1.8 billion gamers out there. More than people driving cars. The likelihood of a lot of them being criminals or psychopaths is there.

There is no such thing as "our own" when it comes to gaming, as there is no such thing as "our own" when it comes to watching netflix. If a netflix subscriber goes ballistic and starts shooting people, the moral impact on the rest of the subscribers is exactly zero. The exact same thing holds true for gamers.
    In the context of Aender's post, it did.  I was never implying that moral degradation of a member of a group necessitates a moral degradation of the entire group, but when you have competitors shooting up gaming tournaments, you can't throw stones at NFL players in general for things like domestic abuse as if gamers can't be prone to the same sorts of aggressive or errant behaviors.  Thus the glass house analogy.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Give it up, people. Video games are not a sport and YOU are not athletes because you play video games.  That's not how you become alpha male lol.
    Ozmodan
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    History has shown that all it takes are a few strategic junkets and other bribes for the Olympic Committee du jour to change its mind about anything. This story is not over.
    MadFrenchieOzmodanPhry
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    History has shown that all it takes are a few strategic junkets and other bribes for the Olympic Committee du jour to change its mind about anything. This story is not over.
    You're missing one important element. Sex appeal. Stacys like Chads, not Bad Luck Brians. The ratings would be terrible. 

Know what's really shocking about this thread? The Olympics is still a thing.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Well to start with E-sports or Esports or esports, is NOT a sport and never will be one.  So why would the Olympics even be interested?

Ozmodan said:
    Well to start with E-sports or Esports or esports, is NOT a sport and never will be one.  So why would the Olympics even be interested?

I get annoyed by one of the guys on our local sports radio station constantly going on about why poker is a sport lol.

Maybe it's time for the Mind Olympics. But like @NorseGod said above, no sex appeal. Buff minds don't play as well on TV as buff bods.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Esports in the Olympics would be retarded. The day this actually happens will be a stupid and sad day.
    JeffSpicoliOzmodan

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Phry said:
    Hariken said:
    I'm amazed that someone would even think to ask this question. No, "e-sports" and the vast majority of its competitors have no place at the olympics.
    Thank god some good sense.
    E sports in the Olympics is just really stupid.
    I know right, i mean if you allowed that then you might end up with some idiot suggesting bouncing up and down on a trampoline could be an olympic event  :p
    Or prancing about with a bit of ribbon on a stick.
    Or whisk-brooming the ice in "curling"

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Phry said:
    Hariken said:
    I'm amazed that someone would even think to ask this question. No, "e-sports" and the vast majority of its competitors have no place at the olympics.
    Thank god some good sense.
    E sports in the Olympics is just really stupid.
    I know right, i mean if you allowed that then you might end up with some idiot suggesting bouncing up and down on a trampoline could be an olympic event  :p
    Or prancing about with a bit of ribbon on a stick.
    Or whisk-brooming the ice in "curling"

;)

I view curling as a drinking game while ice fishing.
    Phry
    Blueliner said:

I'll stick to my guns and say, esports, like poker and golf are not sports. period. yes they take skill but no they do not take physical prowess that a real sport would. They are games, leave them there.

Don't look now, but Golf was added to the Olympics in 2016.

At one time croquet was an Olympic sport.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Blueliner said:

I'll stick to my guns and say, esports, like poker and golf are not sports. period. yes they take skill but no they do not take physical prowess that a real sport would. They are games, leave them there.

Solo synchronized swimming... oh how I miss thee! :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

"Esports" has no place in the Olympics. I'm a gamer at heart and love it but I am also an actual Athlete and by no means should video games be a sport in the Olympics. You gotta be kidding me. If you look at the physical appearance at any one of these "esports pros", you'll see that most of them if not all of them look like they don't have an actual athletic bone in their body or an ounce of coordination. Video games don't belong in the Olympics, no way. And I love gaming..
    I dare say some of them have superior hand eye coordination, let's see a pro athlete from any other sport beat them in a video game.

Kyleran said:
    Blueliner said:

Also, people didn't need fat scooters and an oxygen bottle to just to get from their car to inside Wal-Mart. 
    edited September 2018
    SBFord said:

imageEsports & the Olympics Unlikely - 'So-Called Killer Games Are Contrary to Olympic Values' - MMORPG.com News

"We cannot have in the Olympic program a game which is promoting violence or discrimination," Bach said. "So-called killer games...they, from our point of view, are contradictory to the Olympic values and cannot therefore be accepted."

Read the full story here

Hmm, wonder if he realizes boxing, an Olympic event is estimated to cause 10 deaths a year.

Even more telling is this chronicle over the years of over 1700 boxing related deaths

https://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/an-obsessive-chronicle-of-deaths-in-the-ring

Even if we count the dust up in Florida I think boxing far outweighs any form of gaming in terms of idolizing violence.

For heaven's sake, the goal in boxing is to hit your opponent so hard you rattle his brain and knock him out.

You do that to someone in a bar and you risk prison time.

Sports are weird sometimes.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Video gaming is NOT a sport. It is a HOBBY. Why people enjoy watching someone else playing a video let alone pay for the experience is beyond me. I would much rather participate in gaming by actually playing the game. And to compare Olympic athletes with gamers....good luck with that.
    Ozmodan

Let's party like it is 1863!

Blueliner said:

I

I see what you did there. So the vigorous "sports" of riflery, archery, and table tennis, all part of the Olympics are better candidates than golf or video games?

Yeah.
    Ozmodan

In other news...

Recent news may help the non-poker world understand the level of skill that plays into poker, as compared with other forms of gambling, with the Global Association of International Sports Federations' (GAISF) Oct. 2 announcement that a specific type of poker, “match” poker, has gained recognition as a sport and will be eligible for review for becoming an official Olympic sport.

Joining match poker in the newly recognized sports are pole-dancing, dodgeball, foosball (table soccer), arm wrestling, foot golf and kettlebell lifting. One can see that the Olympics may be trying to keep pace with the times.

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2017/10/match-poker-among-newly-recognized-sports-path-to-olympics-29194.htm

Ozmodan

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Gruug said:
    Video gaming is NOT a sport. It is a HOBBY. Why people enjoy watching someone else playing a video let alone pay for the experience is beyond me. I would much rather participate in gaming by actually playing the game. And to compare Olympic athletes with gamers....good luck with that.

Hey ladies. I'm an Olympic athlete, just like Chad.
    JeffSpicoliOzmodan
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Kyleran said:
    Blueliner said:

I

I see what you did there. So the vigorous "sports" of riflery, archery, and table tennis, all part of the Olympics are better candidates than golf or video games?

Yeah.
    Archery actually takes a great deal of strength and skill. It has every right to be an Olympic sport, no different than discus/spear throwing. 
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I don't think video games have a place in the Olympics, but I disagree with their reasoning being that games are violent and racism. That is nonsense. Olympics has boxing, fencing, martial arts, etc. One of the great fights of all time was the 36 Olympics and Joe Louis versus the NAZIs (Schmeling). 12 rounds, he lost. But that motivated him and two years later pure magic with a first round KO against Schmeling. How could anyone be against real life making stories better than Hollywood ever could?

Phaserlight
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Doesn't the Olympics have sports where people run around discharging firearms at targets?

Yes indeedums
    https://www.olympic.org/shooting

Please provide better reasoning. Thank you.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Esports in the Olympics would be retarded. The day this actually happens will be a stupid and sad day.
    but I could see them creating their own olympics......
    JeffSpicoli