Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Citizencon Stream is Paywalled

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Oh yeah the old "X game will release and destroy Star Citizen" that oblivious haters were spouting years ago is as dumb now as it was then lol...

People who actually love games enough to dedicate their lives by making them admire the effort of their fellow peers, gamers who actually like to play games embrace the effort of new companies trying new things and pushing the genre.

Angry gamers who feel their poor little heart as been shattered by "broken promises" spread bitterness and salty comments on forums to ease the pain...

Kinda pathetic but hey whatcha gonna do, haters gona hate :D
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Babuinix said:
    Oh yeah the old "X game will release and destroy Star Citizen" that oblivious haters were spouting years ago is as dumb now as it was then lol...

People who actually love games enough to dedicate their lives by making them admire the effort of their fellow peers, gamers who actually like to play games embrace the effort of new companies trying new things and pushing the genre.

Angry gamers who feel their poor little heart as been shattered by "broken promises" spread bitterness and salty comments on forums to ease the pain...

Kinda pathetic but hey whatcha gonna do, haters gona hate :D
    Star citizen would need to be released in order to be destroyed or dethroned.

This has been an entertaining thread, I feel bad for Erillion. I just wonder if he's hourly, daily or if he/she is paid per post?
    FrodoFragins
    So if never releases it will never be destroyed / dethroned? 
    Or is it if no other game or company delivers games with the scope, scale and ambition of Star Citizen/Squadron42 it will never be destroyed? These companies are missing out really and You're on to something big I can feel it :D

Pretty sure Erillion is paid in carrots btw B)

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Babuinix said:
    Or is it if no other game or company delivers games with the scope, scale and ambition of Star Citizen/Squadron42 it will never be destroyed? These companies are missing out really and You're on to something big I can feel it :D

It would be an empty throne at that point. As I always say, I do hope it releases and is all it promises to be, I would love to play it. But the hysteria behind it(both sides of the fence actually) is crazy. We talk about the game like it is a finished product on one side and on the other like its still a concept piece. To pretend like this game is the king of anything before its even in alpha is silly.

Also, baby carrots or like real carrots?
  • rapatpamprapatpamp Member UncommonPosts: 144
    I mean is this really any surprise at this point?

ANYONE who gives this company a penny deserves to be ripped off at this point.

1,000$ to watch for free...that's all you need to know folks.
    Babuinix said:

It would be an empty throne at that point. As I always say, I do hope it releases and is all it promises to be, I would love to play it. But the hysteria behind it(both sides of the fence actually) is crazy. We talk about the game like it is a finished product on one side and on the other like its still a concept piece. To pretend like this game is the king of anything before its even in alpha is silly.

Also, baby carrots or like real carrots?
    You have basically many sides who argue back and forth ad nauseam for years lol

One that is happy with development and have no problem waiting and enjoy following the game progressing, other side who got frustrated by delays or/and game design decisions and are now bitterly critical about everything lol and goons who hate on CIG/Chris Roberts (because he broke their heart)  oh and fanboys of other games who see Star Citizen as an enemy of their other favourite game's success so would like to see it collapse lol

Meanwhile Star Citizen development keeps on going, making continuous and steady progress while generating millions in the process. A basic package allows for backers who like to playtest and give feedback to do so and many keep having fun with what's already available to play clocking easily more hours in an alpha than in AAA full released games from the bigger studios. B)

That's about it. Oh and haters hate seeing people having fun with the game while having a laugh at their frustrated efforts to disrupt the game's funding that has been making +30 millions every year lol :D
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Keep throwing your money at this scammer Star Citizens.  Maybe they'll get enough to finish the game
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Babuinix said:
    Keep throwing your ignorance around at games in development. Maybe that way the frustration can go away  :D
    If they dont get a single penny from this day forward what kind of game will they release? i.e. what will 200 million in the hands of Chris Roberts actually deliver?

Youre in the category that knows to have anything even remotely beyond tech demo status which is where they are now they will need to raise at least twice what they have so far so we are then talking 400 million total. Will they have anything released then?

What they have raised (allegedly) so far is more than enough to heave released either Star Marine OR SQ 42. Star Marine was at one point 'secretly' canceled. And SQ 42 doesnt get talked about at all unless someone brings it up. One would think that a single player game like either of those wouldnt be that hard to manage. So why havent they put anything out?

I remember when the fanbois were all saying that was what hey were going to do, release SQ 42 and use those funds (from sales) to finish the other stuff. My how that has changed. Mostly because they also underestimated the stupidity of people and now realize you dont have to do anything and people will still (allegedly) throw money at you. regardless of how many delays broken promises or outright lies they see or hear.
    Babuinix
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited September 2018
    >>>> Star Marine was at one point 'secretly' canceled >>>>

Incorrect.

Source for your claim ?

Star Marine was pulled in-house from a contractor. You can play it, you know  ;-) Just log on and hop into a simpod.

>>>
    So why havent they put anything out?
    >>>

Enjoy 1 hour and 6 minutes of Squadron 42

Foundry 42 UK (which is responsible for SQ42) already has told us quite some time ago that the SQ42 playtesting will be done by in-house QA, not via backer playtesting (otherwise the SQ42 main story will be known via YouTube leaks a day after they start open playtesting) . But that is old news.

Have fun

When you think haters cant possibly come up with more ignorance they up their game  :D
    Erillion said:
    >>>> Star Marine was at one point 'secretly' canceled >>>>

Incorrect.

Source for your claim ?

Star Marine was pulled in-house from a contractor. You can play it, you know  ;-) Just log on and hop into a simpod.

>>>
    So why havent they put anything out?
    >>>

Enjoy 1 hour and 6 minutes of Squadron 42

Foundry 42 UK (which is responsible for SQ42) already has told us quite some time ago that the SQ42 playtesting will be done by in-house QA, not via backer playtesting (otherwise the SQ42 main story will be known via YouTube leaks a day after they start open playtesting) . But that is old news.

Have fun

LMAO more videos and movies how fitting.

At one time Star Marine was canceled. You can play semantics all you want but they werent working on it at all. And the story of them simply 'replacing' the people working on it was nice scapegoat  tactic that took them over a month to come up with. I am not going to sift through all the bullshit from over the years associated with this fiasco but I am sure everyone who has followed this remembers it. Or I suppose they could google it and read for themselves.

But this might be the most comprehensive one (wrote about 6 months after the initial 'secret' was revealed.

http://gameranx.com/features/id/66151/article/what-happened-to-star-marine/

But after it was revealed CiG wasnt actively 'developing' Star Marine and didnt have any intention to the talks of lawsuits started and then surprising 'development' started again.  (because SM was part of the original crowdfunding and as such was required to be included, but they still changed it to whatever its going to be but certainly nothing like they first promised, as this whole thing has turned out to be) Problem is once the spotlight went off Star Marine the cockroaches went back into hiding and no one has mentioned it much since.
    Nowhere in the article you linked is it mentioned that Star Marine was cancelled.

To the contrary. Two direct quotes from CIG specifically state it was NEVER cancelled. 

The author describes the timeline of Star Marine, with its ups and downs. But he does NOT claim that it was cancelled.

Which means your claim still is just your personal opinion and not fact. 

And your question about "why haven't they put anything out" for SQ42 was also answered. They did. Over an hour of it. A vertical gameplay slice. You just conveniently forgot to mention it (again). 

Have fun

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Erillion said:
    Nowhere in the article you linked is it mentioned that Star Marine was cancelled.

To the contrary. Two direct quotes from CIG specifically state it was NEVER cancelled. 

The author describes the timeline of Star Marine, with its ups and downs. But he does NOT claim that it was cancelled.

And your question about "why haven't they put anything out" for SQ42 was also answered. They did. Over an hour of it. A vertical gameplay slice. You just conveniently forgot to mention it (again). 

Have fun

I just want Squadron 42.  I wanted it in 2014 when the ETA was.  Then I wanted it in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.  WIth all due respect...

...FUCK VERTICAL GAMEPLAY SLICE

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited September 2018
    I also want Squadron 42.

I want it when it's ready.

Playtested. Optimised. With very few bugs. Great story. Great actors. 

Have fun

PS:
    already at the end of the Kickstarter campaign the 2014 date was obsolete. 
    So there never WAS an "ETA 2014" when the Kickstarter campaign ended. That is just a date from the beginning of the Kickstarter campaign, from the initial Kickstarter homepage, an ESTIMATE (NOT a promised fixed date) mentioned for a game idea much more limited in scope than Star Citizen as it is now. 

Erillion said:
    I also want Squadron 42.

Have fun

PS:
    So there never WAS an "ETA 2014" when the Kickstarter campaign ended. That is just a date from the beginning of the Kickstarter campaign, from the initial Kickstarter homepage, an ESTIMATE (NOT a promised fixed date) mentioned for a game idea much more limited in scope than Star Citizen as it is now. 

See... it's guys like you with these silly arguments that make it so hard to root for the game.  A game I want very badly.  

As I said... the ETA was 2014. It also was supposed to be multiplayer.

I do not want a vertical slice. I do not want to watch someone else playing the game.  

Don't pull your fan card on me. I have my original signed box of Wing Commander and the hat somewhere. I am one of the dozen people that can watch the Freddie Prinze Jr Wing Commander movie repeatedly, even if it's just for the epic score.  I have my Golden Ticket on my account as one of the very first to get on the Star Citizen bus.

The time for vertical slices, trailers, and excuses has passed. The time has come to focus on putting out Squadron 42 as a complete game.

It's a good step that they removed the paywall for the convention shows.  Now they better give me a firm release date for SQ42.

FrodoFragins

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Erillion said:

Have fun

LMAO vertical gameplay splice i.e. another fake movie pretending to be gameplay footage. And you cant claim reporters and convention goers or some other make believe group got to 'play it'. And how long ago was that released again?

If you google 'star marine canceled' you get a few million hits ( i know how you love to cite google searches). One is for searches with a single L the other is for two LLs. Both are 'correct' spelling depending on where youre from. US uses a single L everywhere else uses two, so much like the metric system US stands alone....

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS807US807&q=star+citizen+cancelled&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW2OmQiKXdAhWvl-AKHZovCSc4ChDVAgh3KAA&biw=1920&bih=943

https://www.google.com/search?q=star+marine+canceled&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS807US807&oq=star+marine&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0j69i57j69i60l3.5338j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And the only person who said it wasnt canceled was Chris Roberts in yet again another back pedal when he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. But if you ask anyone Star Marine WAS canceled since its never going to be released in the form it was originally presented. And with that are there really still three different portions of this or only two now?
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Erillion said:
    I also want Squadron 42.

Have fun

PS:

See... it's guys like you with these silly arguments that make it so hard to root for the game.  A game I want very badly.  

I do not want a vertical slice. I do not want to watch someone else playing the game.  

Don't pull your fan card on me. I have my original signed box of Wing Commander and the hat somewhere. I am one of the dozen people that can watch the Freddie Prinze Jr Wing Commander movie repeatedly, even if it's just for the epic score.  I have my Golden Ticket on my account as one of the very first to get on the Star Citizen bus.

The time for vertical slices, trailers, and excuses has passed. The time has come to focus on putting out Squadron 42 as a complete game.

It's a good step that they removed the paywall for the convention shows.  Now they better give me a firm release date for SQ42.

Why is it a silly argument? It's the fact, not sure why people keep running away from it.

The plan changed (because the fans (not all) asked for it) They went for a bigger game so it's gonna take more time, that's the case with anything in this world.

People might not like they way they're doing things, think they're shit, scammers, what ever name anyone can think of, but at the end of the day, It's gonna take time. Add on top of them trying something different, the main reason why they had to go through crowd funding in the first place.
    This is not a fan or non-fan thing it's just the truth, people can accept it or not.
    I once again followed your links.

Some speculation if Star Marine was cancelled (it was not - you can play it in game now, something you will find it hard to deny).

One extreme hater (=The Smarty) categorically claiming that it was cancelled. 

References to the same article you already linked (which does NOT claim that it was cancelled). 

Some forum entries with personal opinions like yours.

Several direct quotes from CIG that it was never cancelled. 

So ... same as before ... your claim is your personal opinion only, not a fact. 

Have fun

Herase said:
    Erillion said:
    I also want Squadron 42.

Have fun

PS:

Why is it a silly argument? It's the fact, not sure why people keep running away from it.

The plan changed (because the fans (not all) asked for it) They went for a bigger game so it's gonna take more time, that's the case with anything in this world.

People might not like they way they're doing things, think they're shit, scammers, what ever name anyone can think of, but at the end of the day, It's gonna take time. Add on top of them trying something different, the main reason why they had to go through crowd funding in the first place.
    This is not a fan or non-fan thing it's just the truth, people can accept it or not.
    It's a silly argument to say that the ETA was an ESTIMATE not a PROMISE.  It's a way to try and deflect with a strawman argument.

The FACT is that the ETA was 2014.
    The FACT is that I don't give much of a shit about SC but really care about SQ42
    The FACT is that I have waited for the game for 6 years.

So yeah.  I have been beyond patient.  Guys who just make silly excuses and belittle legitimate concerns and complaints make it very hard to stay patient. They make me want to root against a game that I actually want.

To put this in perspective:

Star Citizen/Squadron 42 was announced in 2012.  It is nearing 2019 and it has not released

They didn't start to film Star Wars Episode 7 until 2014 but there is a strong possibility that we will have seen Mark Hamill in all 3 movies of a Star Wars trilogy in less time than Squadron 42 has taken.

SO yeah... no more excuses. No more strawman arguments. As I said, it's good that they removed the paywall for the convention shows.  Now they need to give an actual release date for Squadron 42 during the show and HIT IT.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    "The scope changed guys.  So we either need more money or you are going to have to be more patient."  -cig

I've got the straight edge.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Maybe in another 6 years we'll finally have the second vertical slice of Squadron 42.  Or maybe even that roadmap for it that Chris promised a couple years ago!
    >>>  It's a silly argument to say that the ETA was an ESTIMATE not a PROMISE>>> 
    >>> The FACT is that the ETA was 2014<>> 

It is not a silly argument - it is simply the truth. Go to the Star Citizen Kickstarter page. Every date mentioned, including the "2014" one has an "ESTIMATED" before it. 

THAT is a verifiable FACT. 

Like you I have waited for the game. I would have liked to see it sooner. Maybe different from you I try to actively shorten the time we have to wait.

By being an active backer-playtester, writing and submitting bug reports, participating in official forum discussions about improving the game, giving feedback in a constructive way etc. 
    And enjoying the Alpha together with friends along the way. 

Have fun

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    >>>  It's a silly argument to say that the ETA was an ESTIMATE not a PROMISE>>> 
    >>> The FACT is that the ETA was 2014<>> 

It is not a silly argument - it is simply the truth. Go to the Star Citizen Kickstarter page. Every date mentioned, including the "2014" one has an "ESTIMATED" before it. 

THAT is a verifiable FACT. 

Like you I have waited for the game. I would have liked to see it sooner. Maybe different from you I try to actively shorten the time we have to wait.

By being an active backer-playtester, writing and submitting bug reports, participating in official forum discussions about improving the game, giving feedback in a constructive way etc. 
    And enjoying the Alpha together with friends along the way. 

Have fun

I don't see any mention of the word estimate in this paragraph.

"The people who pledge for their spaceships will get to test-fly them long before the general public. 12 months in, we will allow the early backers to play the multiplayer space combat Alpha, and then 20-22 months in they will get to play the Star Citizen Beta, adventuring around the huge open galaxy, well before the general public. We are going to limit our alpha slots to 200,000 as we want to stress test the game with real users, but will not be ready for the full load until we have finished Beta."

So much for verifiable fact eh?

Also you will notice they said they don't care about SC but about SQ42 so no you really aren't helping to shorten the wait time as its been said multiple times that SQ42 will be internally tested so that the storyline doesn't get leaked before it releases.

>>> I don't see any mention of the word estimate in this paragraph.>>> 

Yes, because you picked a few lines of text, from a webpage with hundreds of lines of text. Deliberately omitting every mention of "estimated" all over the website. A tip: read the text below the pledge packages. 

CIG did allow Alpha testing as mentioned in the text you quoted.
    To all backers, not only a limited number. 

These are verifiable facts. 

Beta testing has not started yet. We all regret that. An unfortunate but (by me personally) not unexpected delay. My first estimate all those years ago was 5 years for SQ42. More for SC. 

Backer playtesters DO help SQ42 with playtesting. We test the underlying technology. We test that you do not simply drop through the floor of your SQ42 ship. We may not know the story - that is being tested by in-house QA - but we can help with a lot of other things used BOTH for SC and SQ42. 

Have fun 

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    >>> I don't see any mention of the word estimate in this paragraph.>>> 

Yes, because you picked a few lines of text, from a webpage with hundreds of lines of text. Deliberately omitting every mention of "estimated" all over the website. A tip: read the text below the pledge packages. 

CIG did allow Alpha testing as mentioned in the text you quoted.
    To all backers, not only a limited number. 

These are verifiable facts. 

Beta testing has not started yet. We all regret that. An unfortunate but (by me personally) not unexpected delay. My first estimate all those years ago was 5 years for SQ42. More for SC. 

Backer playtesters DO help SQ42 with playtesting. We test the underlying technology. We test that you do not simply drop through the floor of your SQ42 ship. We may not know the story - that is being tested by in-house QA - but we can help with a lot of other things used BOTH for SC and SQ42. 

Have fun 

Lol how did I know you’d try and weasel your way out of what you said?

You said every date mentioned has the word estimated in front of it and that’s a verifiable fact. The part I wrote doesn’t have estimate anywhere near it. You can even read through the entire pitch and not once does Chris (or whoever wrote it) say estimated. The estimated part comes from what Kickstarter requires for pledge packages. Yet they give a range of dates for when the alpha will be coming, the beta and not once do they say estimated

Just face it that you got caught with your pants down and instead of trying to word smith your way out of it you learn from the mistake.

As for the rest of what you wrote no sorry you aren’t shortening SQ42 time because you aren’t play testing SQ42. You can hammer on about underlying technology all you want but that isn’t play testing SQ42. If they haven’t got the underlying tech done yet then they are in far worse shape then they let on.

Why you are telling me about your beta estimate I have no clue about. It was already pointed out last year or early this year that you lie about that and keep changing your estimate every year so it doesn’t look as bad.