Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes Of Creation - PAX West Alpha One Gameplay - MMORPG.com

Comments

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    I saw monster as playable? maybe it's just the video point of view. It would also be interesting to see assassin morphed to a tree and stab people in the back.
  • GnogGnog Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Forgive my ignorance, but if they don’t know yet how “combat” will work, what are they spending all their time doing? Shouldn’t we be seeing the other MMO aspects of the game that were touted in the promo videos the last couple of years? I’m not even trying to troll here. I just have no idea what kind of game AoC is going to be or how far along the development really is based on recent videos.
    sausagemix
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Adnihil said:

danwest58 said:

As a backer of this game I am considering asking for a refund.   This game a year ago stated it was a Tab Target game.   Now they are playing off the well is Action Combat because a handful of cry babies on the forums cant stand slow combat yet dont like GW, or ESO or Tera.   I am also not the only person thinking about a refund now, a bunch of friends who threw money at the kickstarter are also thinking about asking for refunds because they too wanted a tab target non P2W Sandbox MMORPG.   Again Developers not listening to core fans a listening to a few dumb asses on the forums 

You can choose between tab targeting and action combat. How is it possible that you and your friends all backed this game but none of you know this? And how the hell can you yell P2W before the game is even out?
    Welcome to the boards! Some people back games and don't play them or follow them, not saying that's happened here but that does happen.

Can you clarify this, is action combat point and attack while tab targeting is tab and attack? is that the only difference between action and tab combat?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like the look of the combat. That UI has me scratching my head. I see the player having like three skills shown as he's using a lot more than three. Where are the other skills and cool down timers?

Sounds good so far overall. Hundreds to get into alpha 2?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    I know it's Alpha One, but the ESO style combat just isn't for me. Hard pass. Please don't fail me Pantheon.
    Leiloni
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2018
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    What does no substance combat mean?
    There are few buttons to press, and the UI gives you no more information than you can get on the screen of your Swtich. :)
    Why always the Switch hate? It's blatantly obvious you don't own one. I'm betting you never even got your hands on one considering you past comments.
    Always slag on anything made by Nintendo, same with Apple products, it's just what you do.

They are the 'evil empires' of their respective markets, sort of like EA is to gaming.

;)
    ScotMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    I am more impressed after watching this. I ks many games but passed on this one because I did not think they would make it like CoE. They appear to be proving me wrong.
    KyleranConstantineMerus[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Relampago said:
    I am more impressed after watching this. I ks many games but passed on this one because I did not think they would make it like CoE. They appear to be proving me wrong.
    They have shown more progress in a shorter time frame than almost any other crowd funded MMO out there which totally surprised me for sure.

They still claim to be on schedule for an end of 2019 launch which if Steven pulls off will put him and his team firmly in the annals of gaming history.

Assuming it doesn't suck of course.

;)
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NexeusSNexeusS Member UncommonPosts: 88
    edited September 2018
    ... and all these years of traveling on the super hype train just to say " SUPER hard pass for me" in 10 sec... And then you forgot about this game as if even existed. Man, that sucks big time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Optioning tab-target in a free targeting game is a contradiction. How does that even work?

I'm perfectly lining up my opponent and timing my attacks while  their attacks magic-bullet curve to hit me every time?

There has to be more to it.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]KyleranLeiloniMrMelGibson
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited September 2018
    They are already working on Battle Royal mode and have not even made the mmo yet. 

That is why they went with this style of combat. /SMH

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    What does no substance combat mean?
    There are few buttons to press, and the UI gives you no more information than you can get on the screen of your Swtich. :)
    Why always the Switch hate? It's blatantly obvious you don't own one. I'm betting you never even got your hands on one considering you past comments.
    I think Torval has one so I like to wind him up about it. :)
    Nah Torv has a WiiU he hasn’t picked up the Switch yet regardless of my urging him to do so :) 
    The WiiU? I will use that for reference in the future. :)
    MrMelGibson
  • MatimusmaximusMatimusmaximus Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Please use something like z-targeting from zelda for the melee combat. No one likes the swing'your-club-in-circles mele fighting that it seems this game will have.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Relampago said:
    They have shown more progress in a shorter time frame than almost any other crowd funded MMO out there which totally surprised me for sure.

They still claim to be on schedule for an end of 2019 launch which if Steven pulls off will put him and his team firmly in the annals of gaming history.

Assuming it doesn't suck of course.

;)
    If they make that release and it's well-received, I can see a whole lot of gamers and journalists in general giving the other crowdfunded projects that "so now what's the excuse?" look.

Rightfully so.
    Kyleran

edited September 2018
    Nyctelios said:
    Optioning tab-target in a free targeting game is a contradiction. How does that even work?

I'm perfectly lining up my opponent and timing my attacks while  their attacks magic-bullet curve to hit me every time?

If you tab to a targed your hits will aim said target. If you don't tab to a target your hits will travel following your screen target mark and follow hit-detection mechanics while traveling.

I'll give an example, not a great one tho: In GW2 if you swing your sword the hit-detection will say if it hits whoever is on it's proximity... When you do Leap Strike with a Greatsword you'll leap the skill distance straight ahead, but if you are tab targeting someone you'll leap to your target instead.
    Well I enjoyed GW2 for the action combat it had, the tab-target felt awkward.  It felt quite clear that the tab-target was a system trying to work within a non-targetted combat system, not like two control schemes that worked equally well in the game.

Hopefully AoC doesn't leave gamers with such a feeling.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2018
    Personally, after hearing the details on how they are going to try to make both systems work in tandem with each other, it just sounds like a waste of time and manpower that they are lacking. Even if they expand their team to say 200, that's still pretty 'low' (if you go by SE/Yoshida's standards since they have a team of around 300 working on FFXIV). They should just use certain types of combat for certain modes so they can have other systems worked on faster. If they do that, then they can work on incorporating other types of combat into other modes later down the line. That seems to be a common problem with these indie titles in general, not knowing what's important and what isn't. Not everything has to be in the game upon release. Would it be nice? Sure. But it just opens itself into more things that "have" to be on release. They need to look restraint.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Hello friends,

It’s important to note this action combat will be integrated into a tab/action hybrid. This footage is our 100% action only testing. ❤️

Don’t worry about the 14 tab target pve only guys on this site. Those types kill games and have stifled the industry. The game looks great.

Oh and Hell yeah on the block button!
    MadFrenchieKyleran
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:

Hello friends,

It’s important to note this action combat will be integrated into a tab/action hybrid. This footage is our 100% action only testing. ❤️

Don’t worry about the 14 tab target pve only guys on this site. Those types kill games and have stifled the industry. The game looks great.

Oh and Hell yeah on the block button!
    You're way too emotionally-invested in trying to prove shit nobody is even talking about.
    bcbully[Deleted User]

Nyctelios said:
    Nyctelios said:

If you tab to a targed your hits will aim said target. If you don't tab to a target your hits will travel following your screen target mark and follow hit-detection mechanics while traveling.

I'll give an example, not a great one tho: In GW2 if you swing your sword the hit-detection will say if it hits whoever is on it's proximity... When you do Leap Strike with a Greatsword you'll leap the skill distance straight ahead, but if you are tab targeting someone you'll leap to your target instead.
    Well I enjoyed GW2 for the action combat it had, the tab-target felt awkward.  It felt quite clear that the tab-target was a system trying to work within a non-targetted combat system, not like two control schemes that worked equally well in the game.

Hopefully AoC doesn't leave gamers with such a feeling.
    Well, for me it's the complete opposite: I actually love the mix of the two. Certains skills goes for to your target and certain skills just use hit collision mechanics.

I don't understand the fuss about it. How would you Leap strike someone if you can't aim at someone? It's an AOE then, not a Leap Strike attack.
    I felt ESO's hybrid system came more naturally.  The sticky-targetting, while it falls short of true tab-target, worked well with the action combat nature of the game.

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited September 2018
    Diablo 3 styled combat effects aren't meant to be viewed that close up honestly. Can you imagine the cluster f#$% that will happen with just 5-10 people on screen? They need to scale that stuff back and save the flashy special effects for the big important attacks/events.

That character teleport had more particle effects than some "final attacks" in some fighting games. Sheesh.

Totally agree, looks like it will end up as bad as BDO's horrible over the top effects where in 5-6 man world boss fights you cant see anything but a blinding lightshow of effects.  I could not imagine a WOW sized raid group much less anything bigger.  Solo gameplay was barely tolerable but still over the top.  
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Warframe wants his Art Director back.
    Kyleran
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    So apparently tab targeting and action combat actually work differently in terms of damage.

Every attack has both a tab target version and an action combat version. The tab target version is a bit weaker by default, since it can't miss unless you time your dodges correctly. The action combat version, as we see, works like Tera/BDO/ESO/etc where you gotta aim it and it will apparently be a bit stronger [meaning that, power-wise, tab targetting is weaker, but won't miss while action is stronger, but you have to aim].
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    over the shoulder view is the worst thing ever invented in games.

scratch this one off the list.
    Leilonikenguru23
  • Lambon23Lambon23 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    This looks fantastic. A real test of skills. This will be insanely popular if they can clean it up. PVP is KING. PUBG and DotA 2 are proof.