Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to GW2, new to POF

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
just fiddling around in GW2 again...

i decided to play the whole game over, starting a new character, doing all the story content in the right order
altough having a level 60 buff in my mail, i am not sure if to use it, or should i use a lvl 40 buff thats in my bank?

so here i am what class to choose?

the Guradion, which promisses lots of mellee but also a ranged experience with bow and dragonhunter..
or the elementalist which now offers a real mellee experience with the sword and weaver builds..

Both are very versatile classes
with lots of support and cc(very important)
and also finishers for their own fields(which is what i love to do while soloing)

In general its a choice between building for different roles(guardion) and having a versatile build(ele)
and huge survivabillity(guardion) vs better mobillity(ele)
but mostly a veyr challengin rotation(ele) vs a more basic rotation(guardion)
firebrand vs weaver..   

a list that goes on and on..
hard to choose...

whats your opinions about these 2 classes in GW2, for someone thats trying to step away from alting...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    So is this forum death? 
    Or is it the game itselves?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Both
  • Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    No way we can decide this for you. You've outlined the differences, so which do you prefer? Do you want a challenging rotation where you have to think on your feet and are constantly swapping attunements or do you want pretty basic GS for melee scepter for ranged sort of build? Only you know what's fun for you.

You might want to look at metabattle.com and see what are considered the best end-game builds and see what sounds good to you for the type of gameplay you plan on pursuing; raid, open world, fractals, etc.

Have fun. 
  • AwakenHDAwakenHD Member UncommonPosts: 23
    edited September 2018
    GW2 is a great MMO just got burned out after 4000H of play time .
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

i decided to play the whole game over, starting a new character, doing all the story content in the right order
    This game is my favorite by far but I fear if you do the vanilla storyline you will wear yourself out and probably quit the game long before reaching the PoF storyline.
    The vanilla story simply wasn't good.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Play one of each class to lvl 10 or 20 then decide.  Or, if you like complicated mechanics go with Ele. If you like to just jump in the middle of mobs and mow them down, Dragon Hunter, imo.  I play DH a lot who has pretty good leveling skills.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Some advice that was given to me when I came back to the game about 6 months ago: Once you settle on your class, don't save the level ups. Use them.

Another good piece of advice that was to roll your alts early on. You get birthday rewards in the mail, and just having the character created will get you the rewards to use later on.

Unlike most games, in GW2 you don't outlevel content. The only thing leveling really accomplishes in GW2 is to slowly gate your abilities in and act like a (very) extended tutorial. Being at max level also opens up the ability to get all the various currencies, travel the entire map, and participate in all the world events, at your leisure.

I usually play tanky types in MMOs, and started off with a Guardian a long time ago. Ended up playing Mesmer for a good bit, it was a lot of fun, and more recently have been playing on a necro and having a good time with Reaper. I'm usually not a caster player, but some of the caster melee builds are pretty fun to do.

Personally, I found the original story (the original 1-80 content) to be too easy. HoT swung the pendulum a bit too far in the other direction, and for right now I've still not made it back over to finish that out. PoF was just about right - challenging, but not morale-crushing. I've been going back and catching up on a lot of the chapters I've missed out on.

The game is far from dead.
    [Deleted User]Dakeru