Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes Of Creation - PAX West Alpha One Gameplay - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited September 2018

Scot said:

I don't think you can surmise what combat will be like from a video, but rather flashy and not sure how meaningful the action combat was. But they are still looking at how combat will work, so hopefully it is fleshed out to be more than a zergfest.

Absolutely spot on. Right now, this particular combat style isn't for me. But if it's just an option with more traditional combat offered as well, that helps. As I've been since it was announced, I'll keep an eye on Ashes. It's still early in development and we all know tons of things change between now and release.
    ConstantineMerus

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    SBFord said:
    Honestly, it's a pretty game, but that blurry ultra fast action-combat just isn't my cup of tea. :/
    I wonder if the blurry is "Depth OF Field" effects I hate those too have to turn them off in Black Desert, and other games O.o?
    SBFord
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    I really dislike in Guild Wars 2 and ESO how combat feels like I am wearing ice skates and hitting with a sword made of cotton candy. This looks like that. Maintaining 100% movement at all times usually makes it so animations have very little weight to them. It looks and feels bad to play. I would much rather have restricted movement than feel like my hits are not doing anything.

Yes, I'm aware this is early footage of a system they plan on doing a lot of work on. That's why this is perfect time to give them constructive criticism. Hopefully they can address these issues.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Looks fun.

However I do not like the outfits / armor / costumes that were on display. Hopefully those where just placeholders and will never see the light of day again.

I'll go along with others and say it looks like they were pulled straight from Warframe.

questions though...

1. Was monster play being shown off? I like that type of PvP. Or was that some sort of horde keep defense PvE?

2. When will we see more PvE? I am more interested in that gameplay.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Unfortunately, dual combat system games tend to be buggy in the long term, but knows, maybe they'll master it somehow, plus its usually asian games that use dual combat systems.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    This 100% looks like poop. Hope they fix it.
    I like to complain about games.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    eh I have a few comments, and questions for the devs.

The character skins are ugly as sin, much prefer more muted old medieval style.  Who wears fancy frilly shit to war?  Fire your skin designer and/or art director.  Earlier demos looked much better.

The combat is too flashy, made much worse by close in 3rd person where even your own effects cloud and clutter the screen.  I despise close in 3rd person and really hope you can zoom out allot further, or all the way in for true first person so at least your own character isn't blocking your view.  Again earlier demos looked much better.

If action and tab target are available, and you must aim accurately for ranged action combat mode, why would any ranged character at least ever use action mode if there is a chance of missing?  If you don't have to aim accurately, why have action based ranged combat at all?  I don't understand trying to mix the two styles, it doesn't work well and or isn't fair to one side or the other.  ESO's style of action/selected target style combat is one of the worst examples, your aiming just feels cheap and cheesy, nothing like the single player ES games, and would be better off being straight up shooter style like darkfall or tab target.

Anyways yes, less excited about this game now after this video, really looks to be going in several wrong directions.  

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I have been pretty critical of it, but honestly it's a first pass. For a first pass in an alpha state it's pretty impressive. It needs some serious adjustments, but I'm fairly certain they know that.

For me, the animations in particular are pretty bad and the floatiness/lack of weight of it looks like (as someone else mentioned) Warframe which I could never get into for that reason.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218
    honestly phanteon online looks way better.the action combat is super flashy and i don t feel the warframe style gameplay fits a game setting like this

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• truewarlordtruewarlord Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Do you guys understand that TERA was released in 2011 and had a WAY WAY WAY better combat system than this? I mean, look at the feel of it. It looks like kids slapping each other with no weight on each blow.
    Leiloni
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Diablo 3 styled combat effects aren't meant to be viewed that close up honestly. Can you imagine the cluster f#$% that will happen with just 5-10 people on screen? They need to scale that stuff back and save the flashy special effects for the big important attacks/events.

That character teleport had more particle effects than some "final attacks" in some fighting games. Sheesh.

KyleranMrMelGibsonDvora
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    I thought it looked pretty good for early footage TBH.

Reminded me a little of vindictus which has terrific combat.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Dvora said:
    eh I have a few comments, and questions for the devs.

The character skins are ugly as sin, much prefer more muted old medieval style.  Who wears fancy frilly shit to war?  Fire your skin designer and/or art director.  Earlier demos looked much better.
    I dunno, maybe mages throwing giant fireballs while warping around? Where have you been? Did you not see the first mage with fancy "frilly" shit they introed the game with 2 years ago? Did you not see the dozens of embellished concept armors and robes they had in their reveals? Go to the site and look at the cosmetics they are selling. Its high fantasy not Kingdom Come. If the outfit aesthetics is a turn off to you at this point you're SOL my friendo!
    Leiloni
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    Torval said:
    Do you guys understand that TERA was released in 2011 and had a WAY WAY WAY better combat system than this? I mean, look at the feel of it. It looks like kids slapping each other with no weight on each blow.
    TERA's combat was great.... for 2011. Then everyone started making better action combat that is fluid and responsive. Neverwinter and ESO are miles better than TERA for combat. I have tried to go back 3 times because I really do like the game and have fond memories, but it just feels clunky now.

This reminds me very much of third person perspective in Destiny 2, you know when you've got the sword out with the speed and mobility. What some people call floaty, fans of Quake, DOOM, and other fast-paced games call "action". More slow moving action formats can feel sluggish like you're playing in molasses.
    And some people would call this combat two rabbits high on crack that are having epileptic seizures randomly bumping into each other.

And no one would call anything from Nevewinter miles better than anything. Well, except maybe its cash shop.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited September 2018
    ....at least is not as seizure inducing as BDO. just pick an aoe class, stand back and spam shit....lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 134
    edited September 2018
    I am a backer and I am fine with them showing action combat, does it mean it's 'going' to be this way at release... No... :) .... it's still Alpha..... lots of time for change
    Though I am now excited by the 'bush' spell/camouflage @ 1:02 ... muahahahaha sneak attack
  • WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Ok, I am sold.
  • xcessive303xcessive303 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Flashy combat with no substance? If I want flashy combat I'll go play black desert remastered. Nothing about this is jumping out at me to say new or unique.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Torval said:
    What does no substance combat mean?
    There are few buttons to press, and the UI gives you no more information than you can get on the screen of your Swtich. :)
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    There are few buttons to press, and the UI gives you no more information than you can get on the screen of your Swtich. :)
    Why always the Switch hate? It's blatantly obvious you don't own one. I'm betting you never even got your hands on one considering you past comments.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    Why always the Switch hate? It's blatantly obvious you don't own one. I'm betting you never even got your hands on one considering you past comments.
    I think Torval has one so I like to wind him up about it. :)
    ConstantineMerusOctagon7711[Deleted User][Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    The substance lies in the overall content, not just the combat. The combat presented (so far) is definitely engaging, I'll wait to see how they combine the tab-target approach to the final result.
    [Deleted User]
  • mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    after seeing this video I will pass
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    I think Torval has one so I like to wind him up about it. :)
    How very English of you mate ;)
    Scot[Deleted User][Deleted User]LeiloniMrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung