Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PAX West 2018: Anthem Pre-Panel Press Event Report - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imagePAX West 2018: Anthem Pre-Panel Press Event Report - MMORPG.com

We finally have more information on what might be the most anticipated upcoming games: Anthem. Earlier today I got to sit on the pre-panel press event before the big PAX panel to get a sneak peek at the entire reveal before everyone else and a unique chance for a small public Q&A with other members of the gaming press. But you didn’t click into this article to read my gibberish so without further ado it’s time to dive in!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    As someone that loved Destiny and Destiny 2 I'm looking forward to this title.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    They cut Pixel Romances? Good. Maybe there’s hope.
    ValentinaAlomarScotSovrathAeanderinfomatz[Deleted User]Galadourn

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    edited September 2018

Well for you perhaps, but I honestly play BioWare games for the Mass Effect/Dragon Age type of gameplay and there are a lot of fans who feel similarly and are disappointed by this. Romances are a huge part of that signature BioWare experience, I enjoy the romance arcs and while this is not a make or break issue for me, I do find it disappointing that they're veering away from it and I don't see how romances affect the quality of their games in a negative way since you can choose not to partake in one if it's not your cup of tea instead of wishing for features enjoyed by a great many people to be cut simply because you have a personal dislike for it.
    KyleranceltwulfAlomarKr3senSlapshot1188Gobstopper3DOctagon7711Aeanderinfomatz
  • celtwulfceltwulf Member UncommonPosts: 61
    edited September 2018

Valentina said:

Well for you perhaps, but I honestly play BioWare games for the Mass Effect/Dragon Age type of gameplay and there are a lot of fans who feel similarly and are disappointed by this. Romances are a huge part of that signature BioWare experience, I enjoy the romance arcs and while this is not a make or break issue for me, I do find it disappointing that they're veering away from it and I don't see how romances affect the quality of their games in a negative way since you can choose not to partake in one if it's not your cup of tea instead of wishing for features enjoyed by a great many people to be cut simply because you have a personal dislike for it.

Don't worry I'm more than sure the Dragon Age & Mass Effect games in the future will still have romance options it's just Bioware wants to try different things with this IP as they have clearly stated on more than a dozen occasions. No point in getting upset about it. Also Slapshot has a point, there are just as many who dislike the romance option in the games as there are those who like it. Personally I could care less one way or the other.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited September 2018
    Valentina said:

Every dollar spent developing features I don't care for is a dollar not spent on content I do enjoy.

When it comes to a choice between more of what I want vs what you want....you lose

Them's the breaks kid....

B)
    AlomarValentinaAeanderScotConstantineMerusSlapshot1188SandmanjwXarko

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2018
    That picture reminds me too much of a Halo type game,i won't be impressed if seeing characters flying around in the air.Also not interested in another Destiny type game.

Time will show us if this is a complete rpg but it sounds like a one trick pony with a single player storyline.

Yet another single player game only with coop,pretty much what most mmorpg's are doing anyhow..sadly.

Unless these single player game designs can really do something amazing,i don't see them doing anything to get me excited or anticipating a purchase.

Mini missions,linear game play not what i am looking for anymore,already been there done that hundreds of times.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Valentina said:

Bioware signature?I would argue that the Final Fantasy series is THE signature series for romantic stuff in their games,including even their online mmorpg FFXI.Example you can get married,there is actually marriage attire and seen throughout the game's quests/missions.It is a staple of all their games,matter of fact,i would say that Square Enix tends to showcase the female characters more than the male characters,even having the Lightning returns game,can't recall any male centric designed game.

I go WAY back with Bioware,i played all the Baldur's Gate games,If anything i would say that Bioware is more known for giving characters interesting persona's.
    Octagon7711Phaedruslives

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

celtwulf said:

Valentina said:

Don't worry I'm more than sure the Dragon Age & Mass Effect games in the future will still have romance options it's just Bioware wants to try different things with this IP as they have clearly stated on more than a dozen occasions. No point in getting upset about it. Also Slapshot has a point, there are just as many who dislike the romance option in the games as there are those who like it. Personally I could care less one way or the other.

I'm not upset about it at all, a little disappointed, but not upset.

Wizardry said:

Valentina said:

Bioware signature?I would argue that the Final Fantasy series is THE signature series for romantic stuff in their games,including even their online mmorpg FFXI.Example you can get married,there is actually marriage attire and seen throughout the game's quests/missions.It is a staple of all their games,matter of fact,i would say that Square Enix tends to showcase the female characters more than the male characters,even having the Lightning returns game,can't recall any male centric designed game.

I go WAY back with Bioware,i played all the Baldur's Gate games,If anything i would say that Bioware is more known for giving characters interesting persona's.

I understand what you're saying, but I think you may have misunderstood what I said. I said that romances are a huge part of the signature BioWare experience, not that romances are exclusively a signature of BioWare games. I love the way romances are delivered in BioWare games because it's done in a more personalized way, there is a lot of choice and consideration that are extensions of choice and consideration that plays out in other aspects of the games. Final Fantasy, and RPG's like it tell a story in a way a book or movie would tell a story. It's just a different kind of RPG.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    So Anthem is sort of like the opposite of DDO, solo game in the hub city and mmo game when you go out in the open world?
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited September 2018
    No thanks. Imo Bioware is being too influenced by EA's ' singleplayer games are dead' . Turning their new gamees into some semi online game. Pretty sure it is another online multiplayer design with microtransactions in mind.

Game design from a EA studio is more about monetizing design. Anything gameplay related is just fancy packaging for loot boxes and micro transactions.

Cyberpunk 2077 is easily the most anticipated upcoming RPG. Their gameplay trailer was very impressive.
    I do love the old Bioware games, but lately Bioware dropped the ball too often, so I don't get hyped for their games anymore.
    SBFordAvarix
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    edited September 2018

Valentina said:

celtwulf said:

Valentina said:

I'm not upset about it at all, a little disappointed, but not upset.

Wizardry said:

Valentina said:

I understand what you're saying, but I think you may have misunderstood what I said. I said that romances are a huge part of the signature BioWare experience, not that romances are exclusively a signature of BioWare games. I love the way romances are delivered in BioWare games because it's done in a more personalized way, there is a lot of choice and consideration that are extensions of choice and consideration that plays out in other aspects of the games. Final Fantasy, and RPG's like it tell a story in a way a book or movie would tell a story. It's just a different kind of RPG.

This is not the sort of game where story works well or is needed at all. that's why EA should have forced Bioware into making it at all. Bearing in mind that as far as I know Bioware is now just another EA team that works to a different brief.

The closest I can think to what there are doing here is Battlefield (that's EA so maybe a close fit) where they introduced a solo campaign. But you play BA for multiplayer not solo and like Kyleran said I just felt money was being wasted on the solo element of the game.

This approach is quite different to one where the story is part of the multiplayer experience, which has its benefits, story gets in the way of multiplayer, hard to solve that so their solution is to keep it in solo. But it is a question of resources and I see it being difficult for them to make a splash in multiplayer while huge funds are being diverted to solo.

EA may have singed Bioware's death warrant here, but I think that's what they want, Bioware will either move to Games as a Service where the rest of EA is headed, or it gets the chop. And if that happens EA will say "Well Anthem just did not do well, the studio was not performing, blah, blah". But don't get me wrong, EA want Anthem to succeed, but only as a stepping stone to roping in players who like story to GaaS.

For EA it has always been about the size of the playerbase, not the players.
  • Kr3senKr3sen Member UncommonPosts: 45
    As much as i love ME i actually agree with some of the people here regarding the SP portion, it just seems tacked on and pointless. Id rather they make the homebase an interesting part of the game that complements the open world portion through interesting multiplayer features that tie it all together rather then a few stupid npcs to talk too. Make it a player hub, with housing, crafting, trading, mini games etc etc. I would rather have that then a bunch of mediocre cutscenes.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    Destiny is not my cup of tea hope this game is good.
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    This sounds like ideas they had for future of KotOR before it became SWTOR.
    Valentina said:

Because I think the trend from Bioware has been more and more “Pixel Romances” and that this has caused a lack of focus on other things, like great gameplay. The last few Bioware games have been unmitigated disasters. Folks who love “Pixel Romances” got Mass Effect Andromeda and Dragon Age Inquisition.   Enjoy them.  I’m just glad to see Bioware focusing on other game areas that I personally find more important to making a good game.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Tidus+Yuna doesn't get anymore romantic.Rikku flirts a lot with Tidus,he sort of likes Rikku as well but still in love with Yuna.
    Seymour Guado tries to marry Yuna,well does but that is thwarted as Tidus will not allow this to happen because he loves Yuna.Lulu loves Wakka and  romance is seen throughout the entire game.
    IMO FFX best story ever,very romantic.

As to Kresen's comments,yep pretty much what i would like to see and EXPECT,you know a world ,a rpg world and not just some mechanics to talk to npc's and run missions.It really looks a lot more and more like SWTOR all over again but with better graphics.

The cutscenes appear to be done like other games of recent,meaning close ups,TOO close,you won't get the proper feel for a scene with all the background stuff going on if you simply see a face or two or someone getting out of a car or into a car.I know why they do this stuff,it is imo lazy work.

• Gobstopper3DGobstopper3D Member RarePosts: 966

Valentina said:

Bioware isn't making this for the traditional Bioware fan. It's going after a different base. Evidently one that can't handle more than two choices in dialog and according to DICE are "uneducated". since it's the same shoot and loot crowd.

If Andromeda is any indication of what to expect in the next dragon age, then all hope is lost.

I'm not an IT Specialist, Game Developer, or Clairvoyant in real life, but like others on here, I play one on the internet.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Just have to wait and see how they monetize the game. I'm sure EA is insisting on working in as many micro-transactions and as much pay-gating as possible.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Perhaps they want to make it simple in order to make for an easy port to mobile devices one day.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited September 2018
    Valentina said:

Because I think the trend from Bioware has been more and more “Pixel Romances” and that this has caused a lack of focus on other things, like great gameplay. The last few Bioware games have been unmitigated disasters. Folks who love “Pixel Romances” got Mass Effect Andromeda and Dragon Age Inquisition.   Enjoy them.  I’m just glad to see Bioware focusing on other game areas that I personally find more important to making a good game.

Wait, what?

If you were playing as a straight male, Dragon Age Inquisition had lower quality romance options than any other Dragon Age game before it. You essentially had a choice of the butch Cassandra and the Disney Princess Josephine, neither of whom were as attractive or well-written as any previous suitor, much less Morrigan or Leliana. 

And Mass Affect Andromeda? Forget about incredibly well-realized characters like Tali and Liara. Andromeda offers players the once in a lifetime opportunity to bone Blue Shrek. 
  • Kr3senKr3sen Member UncommonPosts: 45

Valentina said:

Bioware isn't making this for the traditional Bioware fan. It's going after a different base. Evidently one that can't handle more than two choices in dialog and according to DICE are "uneducated". since it's the same shoot and loot crowd.

If Andromeda is any indication of what to expect in the next dragon age, then all hope is lost.

Clearly they do care otherwise this game wouldnt even have a SP portion. Its tacked on but its there so they can still put it on the back of the box.
    Regarding Dragon Age, i dont think that game even exists anymore. Seeing as how EA decided not only shut the doors of that studio run by Amy Hennig but also had DA rebooted shortly after Andromeda came out my guess is they dont want to invest in any story driven experiences PERIOD.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    celtwulf said:

Valentina said:

The difference being an option is just that- optional.  If you don't care for romances, they're generally easily enough ignored or shut down.

Games like Pillars of Eternity 2 didn't suffer elsewhere for having romance options- at least nothing I've seen could be directly attributable.  In that instance, those who wish to forego romance should just ignore it.  Easy enough.
    Valentina

edited September 2018

Valentina said:

You did it again lol. Is your definition of an unmitigated disaster simply something you don't like? I'll give you that Andromeda had its issues, especially when it first came out, in fact all games do but Andromeda's really were more glaring although mostly cosmetic and got fixed. In the end I actually really enjoyed Andromeda, and despite the bandwagon negative press about mostly insignificant things the game was a commercial success, and over time became a moderate critical success instead of the critical flop it started out as. Dragon Age Inquisition was both a critical and commercial success, both games sold millions of copies each and were both reported to have maintained strong commercial performance through out their release year, as well as strong player engagement. Yeah, they didn't out perform games like Skyrim or Fallout 4, but that doesn't make them anywhere near "unmitigated disasters", especially when those franchises have a massive modder following, and can sustain much longer relevance because of that. Also, I don't think romance arcs are causing a lack of focus on better gameplay in other areas of their games at all, that's not really how game development works.
  • PhaedruslivesPhaedruslives Member UncommonPosts: 122

Galadourn said:

So Anthem is sort of like the opposite of DDO, solo game in the hub city and mmo game when you go out in the open world?

I'd think of it as a pretentious and even more tumblr ready Borderlands.
    edited September 2018
    Valentina said:

Valentina said:

You did it again lol. Is your definition of an unmitigated disaster simply something you don't like? I'll give you that Andromeda had its issues, especially when it first came out, in fact all games do but Andromeda's really were more glaring although mostly cosmetic and got fixed. In the end I actually really enjoyed Andromeda, and despite the bandwagon negative press about mostly insignificant things the game was a commercial success, and over time became a moderate critical success instead of the critical flop it started out as. Dragon Age Inquisition was both a critical and commercial success, both games sold millions of copies each and were both reported to have maintained strong commercial performance through out their release year, as well as strong player engagement. Yeah, they didn't out perform games like Skyrim or Fallout 4, but that doesn't make them anywhere near "unmitigated disasters", especially when those franchises have a massive modder following, and can sustain much longer relevance because of that. Also, I don't think romance arcs are causing a lack of focus on better gameplay in other areas of their games at all, that's not really how game development works.
    Valentina said:

Valentina said:

Great.  You can play those games.  As I said, to me they were unmitigated disasters and I’m very happy they have chosen to leave Pixel Romances out of Anthem.  Not every game has to be for every person. Enjoy the Andromedas and any future sequels.  
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on