Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes Of Creation - PAX West Alpha One Gameplay - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageAshes Of Creation - PAX West Alpha One Gameplay - MMORPG.com

Intrepid Studios has just wrapped up a PAX West presentation and enabled the replay on the Ashes of Creation YouTube channel. It's another fantastic opportunity to check out the gameplay that Alpha One players will be seeing when the first testing opportunity comes up later this month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Honestly, it's a pretty game, but that blurry ultra fast action-combat just isn't my cup of tea. :/
    ceratop001ultimateduckmakevaliSadfistDiscipledOneValentinaKnyttaXarkoNephethNibsand 12 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    SUPER hard pass from me.

This is why I prefer action combat like Tera. This action combat is just people constantly moving around and randomly swinging away hoping they get lucky by connecting more times than the other person.

The combat didnt look great in the PvE dungeon previews and this makes it look even worse.
    MikehaSovrathmakevaliSadfistsakinolPeskyAlomarNephethsniperman248Phaethonasand 12 others.
  • zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160
    The combat looked nice, but I thought it was going to also play on the classic nostalgia of past MMO's. The video makes you think its more of a game like Destiny set in a fantasy setting.
    chocolate42069Rorhc
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594

SBFord said:

Honestly, it's a pretty game, but that blurry ultra fast action-combat just isn't my cup of tea. :/

Combat looks like it is very hard to master. Might be very challenging, and frustrating to learn. That can be a good thing, or a very bad thing. If I ever play this game I will find out.
    MrMelGibsonchocolate42069

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    It's no one's cup of tea. It can be someone's bottle of champagne though.
    SadfistScotRueTheWhirlWizbuizceh430Thaharchocolate42069GrendSteelhelm
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    It's a good thing the UI displays "You hit David for 39 damage" otherwise I'd have no idea what was happening on the screen.
    AlomarScotJamesGoblinceh430chocolate42069Iselin
  • AwakenHDAwakenHD Member UncommonPosts: 23
    We already have many tab-targeting MMO's, I personally think it's not bad but definitely needs more work , the costumes and environments looks really good .
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    SBFord said:
    It's no one's cup of tea. It can be someone's bottle of champagne though.
    Hence why I said "not MY cup of tea". Everyone has their 'druthers.
    MrMelGibsonOctagon7711

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    SBFord said:
    don' forget there is loss of quality in the video streaming process
    Slapshot1188
    Rhoklaw said:
    I understand the need to give melee combat that extra 100 feet of range on their attacks for balance, but hopefully one day they find a different path that leans more towards realism. Dark Age of Camelot simply added a /stick command which in my opinion works perfectly. However, it's quite clear AoC is following Darkfall with it's combat aspects.
    you mean how Darkfall combat should have been; Because the actual combat in DF and DFUW was a steaming pile of .......
  • Ashes_StevenAshes_Steven Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Hello friends,

It’s important to note this action combat will be integrated into a tab/action hybrid. This footage is our 100% action only testing. ❤️
    GaladournSBFordwingoodAwakenHDConstantineMerusRonald88blorpykins[Deleted User]MaurgrimSinsaiand 9 others.
    Happy to be with you fine ladies and gentlemen on MMORPG.com, hope to participate in healthy discussions about our favorite genre.

Founder/Creative Director @ Intrepid Studios
    Building upcoming MMORPG  Ashes of Creation
    Discord

edited September 2018

Hello friends,

It’s important to note this action combat will be integrated into a tab/action hybrid. This footage is our 100% action only testing. ❤️

Thanks for the heads up @Ashes_Steven ! If you can get something close to the combat in Neverwinter I think you will have achieved the perfect balance (imho).
    Thupli
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    my.com = hard pass

and the battle not my cup of tea make my decision way more easy
    Phaethonaschocolate42069
  • slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 407
    Good luck with the aim when using bow lol...
    chocolate42069
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Read comments, figured it was going to suck. Decided to watch video. Looks amazing to me! lol
    makevaliSadfistOyjordceh430Thaharchocolate42069Steelhelm
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Mages running in and meleeing is always a sign of a great game....especially when they are melting guys swinging two handers (not staffs)
    Scot
  • DewulfDewulf Member UncommonPosts: 139

AwakenHD said:

We already have many tab-targeting MMO's, I personally think it's not bad but definitely needs more work , the costumes and environments looks really good .

I don't know man, looks too much like warframe costumes. Space pandex / full bodysuit condom armor lol.
  • makevalimakevali Member UncommonPosts: 48

SBFord said:

Right, As your doctor I prescribe some epicness to take twice daily for the next 30 days. That should help.
  • makevalimakevali Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Combat looks epic, for those complaining about it go play WoW lol
    AlomarDewulfMrMelGibson
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    edited September 2018
    Ok, i'm 100% convinced they took Paragon's combat style and animations and adapted it for an MMO.

The animations even look near identical to characters like Seraph and Sevarog. When it switched to the bow, it was almost the same as choosing Sparrow in Paragon, the teleport is the same as Gideon's.
    sakinolsausagemixRueTheWhirlShaihuby
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Right now, I have to go with SBFord about action combat and give it all 10 fingers down, and please no bunny hopping like at 1:23 in the clip. I have had more than I ever want to see in past games that I have played.
    Alomar
  • ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Its odd that they would showcase this.. They said they wont go with all out action combat, but instead test the limits of this part of the game engine to make use of it when finalizing the combat.
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    call me old fashioned but i like my ranger to look like a ranger not a priest with a bow .i had high hopes for this one some of the ideas are good and the world looks great but the combat is way to flashy for my tastes oh well i wish them luck looks like my last hope is Pantheon .
    sakinolConstantineMerus
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815

call me old fashioned but i like my ranger to look like a ranger not a priest with a bow .i had high hopes for this one some of the ideas are good and the world looks great but the combat is way to flashy for my tastes oh well i wish them luck looks like my last hope is Pantheon .

Ya i'm the opposite I've become bored of the vanilla specced classes and wish more mmorpgs would adopt the gw2 customization for classes.

Looking at the video the camera is too close to the characters hopefully you can zoom out some. Also if this is action combat those rangers are gonna need some love with hitboxes.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    As a backer of this game I am considering asking for a refund.   This game a year ago stated it was a Tab Target game.   Now they are playing off the well is Action Combat because a handful of cry babies on the forums cant stand slow combat yet dont like GW, or ESO or Tera.   I am also not the only person thinking about a refund now, a bunch of friends who threw money at the kickstarter are also thinking about asking for refunds because they too wanted a tab target non P2W Sandbox MMORPG.   Again Developers not listening to core fans a listening to a few dumb asses on the forums 
    PeskyAlomarGaladournDewulfmakevaliAwakenHDShaihuby[Deleted User]chocolate42069Spiritalker