Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RSI Ditches Star Citizen's 'CitizenCon' Keynote Address Fee - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageRSI Ditches Star Citizen's 'CitizenCon' Keynote Address Fee - MMORPG.com

Over the past week, fans of Star Citizen have been in a kerfuffle with Roberts Space Industries over the $20 fee required to view the CitizenCon keynote address. As a result, RSI has opted to remove the fee to make the speech / presentation viewable for free. According to the post, the fee was introduced to offset the larger-than-expected CitizenCon.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    /thumbsup
    SBFordJoeBloberFedaygin
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Wising Up
    SBFordMrMelGibsonFedaygin
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Well, honestly, whether or not you like RSI or Star Citizen, it's always refreshing to see a dev realize they fubar'd and rethink their position. I can't fault them for realizing the error of their ways. :D
    ScorchienMadFrenchiewingood[Deleted User]ScotJoeBloberMrMelGibsonThaharJeroKanealkarionlogand 2 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    See enough noise and complaints make a difference.
    wingoodFedaygin

• SephrusSephrus Member UncommonPosts: 76
    When you have milked the community for so long with no real reprisals then you begin to think that you can charge folks for anything.
    NildenSlyLoKPiscorewingoodchojin2kThaharJeroKanealkarionlogAlmostLancelotFedayginand 2 others.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    SBFord said:
    Well, honestly, whether or not you like RSI or Star Citizen, it's always refreshing to see a dev realize they fubar'd and rethink their position. I can't fault them for realizing the error of their ways. :D
    ... but how deep does the fubar go?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think he started reading all the negative press such a decision was generating and changed his mind. No one wants to be ridiculed by fellow game companies.

Kerfuffle indeed, thanks for the morning smile.
    wingoodFedaygin

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

I think he started reading all the negative press such a decision was generating and changed his mind. No one wants to be ridiculed by fellow game companies.

However the black mark stays. I was looking at their forum the word i can say is "oh, my..." It's like having people filing divorce paper before.
    Fedaygin
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

However the black mark stays. I was looking at their forum the word i can say is "oh, my..." It's like having people filing divorce paper before.

It's been awhile since I've seen so many locked threads, I must admit.
    Fedaygin

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Good he decided to remove the fee. It would be advisable not to appear greedy, because it can tarnish your reputation very fast.
    FrodoFraginsAlexanderVendiwingoodMrMelGibsonFedaygin

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited September 2018
    SBFord said:
    The problem is that is just the most blatant fubar, most of their fubars are never addressed since there isn't the same outcry.

He really doesn't value past backers, as evidenced by this.  He wanted people that have ponied up hundreds or even thousands of dollars to pay more to see an update.  They are always hunting down that next dollar.
    Fedaygin
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Nah Robert'/team never realized anything,they took backlash and bad PR is not good for the game,so they were basically FORCED otherwise they would have kept the idea/cost in tact.
    I thought about it for a second,they already have proved to themselves they have a lot of whales giving them money left and right,of course they are looking for more $$$ angles,less about the game PR and more about money making PR.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MoparMopar Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Lol
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    World's tiniest kudo following a gigantic, sarcastic LOL.
    NildenMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I figure he thought it was worth a shot.
    If they went along with it this time, that would've become the new standard.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited September 2018
    fear not dear Citizerlings! You are indeed so fortunate to have such a fearless leader who will soon magnanimously bless you with a revolutionary way to show your love and admiration, by allowing your the privilege of separating your cash from your wallet and purchasing some....other....made up, overpriced, and useless thing a ma-giggy. all hail supreme leader Roberts!!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    You know, if you really want to know what happened I invite you to ignore this news story which isn't correct and read @maxbacon 's posts from yesterday.

It appears the keynote and closing speeches were always free and CRs reversal above is stating they'll let let people stream all content from both of the stages throughout the entire convention for free.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/475820/citizencon-stream-is-paywalled
    MaxBaconAlmostLancelotErillion

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Was worth a try ! :D

Atleast they had the good grace to back down without an embarassing attempt at holding out and trying to justify this blooper...
    JoeBlober
  • LeoTolstoyLeoTolstoy Member UncommonPosts: 30
    AHH the wonderful schadenfreude never ends with this one....Keep up the great work Mr. Roberts. 
  • ArgostArgost Member UncommonPosts: 30
    When this kind of chicanery occurs, cut your losses and run. Don't look back.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Marketing techniques like this do make you wonder if you would ever want to join the game when it launches.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Scot said:
    Marketing techniques like this do make you wonder if you would ever want to join the game when it launches.
    I will if it's a great game and I think I can enjoy it even though I wasn't a supporter.  But I have a feeling neither will be true and Chris saying there is nothing to "win" was pretty facepalm.
    Scot
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Mistake or marketing genius? It did bring massive awareness to citizen con and got everyone talking about it -- which in the past I've never even knew when citizen con was going on.
    --------------------------------------------
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    What happened in meme version:
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

You are new right? Because "Drama" have been aorund since years... the best one being "Collapse 90 days top!" shoot 4 years ago or "space to planet is decades away" proven wrong 6 months later in 2017.
    + 150M$ since change of scope approved by Backers. +100K$ since this new "drama". Don't worry everything is fine, people interested are just waiting for Citizencon and patch 3.3.