Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post Reactions. If you had to choose.

maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
Lets say that every single post that you read, you HAVE to give it a reaction before moving on.  
The reactions are obviously, Agree, Insightful, Awesome, LOL and WTF, as per current forum options.

Which reaction do you think you would give out the most? 

What reaction do you think you'd receive on your posts the most? 

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I would likely give Insightful the most.  Even if I disagree, I many times give it to indicate that the poster brought up a point or fact I hadn't considered.

My posts?  By going my the reactions all-time on my account of people to my posts, Agree.  Followed by Insightful.  However, I rarely start threads unless I just wanna ruffle feathers in some way or find something incredibly interesting and pertinent to recent discussions.  Aka, I rarely ever create new threads.
    maskedweaselAlBQuirky

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I would likely give Insightful the most.  Even if I disagree, I many times give it to indicate that the poster brought up a point or fact I hadn't considered.

My posts?  By going my the reactions all-time on my account of people to my posts, Agree.  Followed by Insightful.  However, I rarely start threads unless I just wanna ruffle feathers in some way or find something incredibly interesting and pertinent to recent discussions.  Aka, I rarely ever create new threads.
    Your Agree to WTF ratio is off the charts at 2.9k to 91!!! Thats crazy cause i always found you to be the biggest dick on here.......

That was a joke btw.... ahhahahah Now everyone click my LOL Button
    MadFrenchiemaskedweaselPanther2103NorseGod
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I would have to give WTF the most because it's the only thing even semi-usable on posts you disagree with at all.  Not even posts you hate, just ones you think display a lack of wisdom.
    MadFrenchiemaskedweasel
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    thunderC said:

Your Agree to WTF ratio is off the charts at 2.9k to 91!!! Thats crazy cause i always found you to be the biggest dick on here.......

That was a joke btw.... ahhahahah Now everyone click my LOL Button
    Lol no I can definitely be a dick, you're absolutely right.  I just try to balance my dickness with logical thoughts so that I don't seem like I'm flaming for the sake of flaming. ;)

I like the fact that we have different folks here in the community.  You and Kyleran get a lot of LOLs I think are genuine and not the "da fuq you even talking bout, m8?" LOLs.  Others, like Red and SupermanOX, get a lot of Insightful because they share a lot of personal, applicable insight with us.  It's nice having a motley crew. :D 
    JeffSpicoliGdemamimaskedweaselAlBQuirky

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Which reaction do you think you would give out the most? 

<Quote> Hey, it's a button!

What reaction do you think you'd receive on your posts the most?

LoL

maskedweasel

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Well, it's pretty obvious from the profile:

Also, as a point of note, I don't "lol" in mockery of anyone, that means I genuinely found something funny or amusing.

And I meant those WTF's.
    MadFrenchiemaskedweasel
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    I do, and still would, give out more Agrees than anything else.
    I currently have more Awesomes than anything, but I imagine if everyone HAD to give reactions it would change to LOLs. Especially given the double entendre of it.

I rarely remember to hit any reaction so I would like everyone to know that you are all about twice as agreeable and awesome as you think
    maskedweasel
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2018
    LOL is the best reaction, so that is my vote. That means someone made a post someone laughed at. And so many posts on MMORPG.com are dumb or people who hate MMOs that shouldn't be on an MMO site, or some random person getting angry over someone calling a game an MMO that they think isn't...like it really matters to anyone lol. But all those posts just make me laugh, usually cause people argue over something so dumb when its not even important lol.

2nd best reaction is WTF, but I never give those out. I only like receiving them. Since that means someone got triggered by a post and I don't let meaningless posts on a random internet forum ever bother me.
    Post edited by TheScavenger on
    maskedweasel

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2018
    DMKano said:
    My only wish would be to remove all the reactions, all the points, remove the colors and just have everyone be the same like it was in the old days. 

Heck it would be nice to be able to hide the post count as well.

That would be my preference.
    I'd still make the same exact posts

But...

I agree. They don't do anything, and doesn't make people make better content. In many ways it ends up doing the opposite. They aren't very useful.

At least reddit points you can sell on uh "internet black market reddit account selling sites" so if you have enough reddit points and don't post in a certain political subreddit, can get 20-100 USD out of a reddit account. Which is an actual thing btw.

MMORPG.com no one is gonna want to buy a random account on here no matter how many posts or points one has lol. 

If their purpose was to make better quality posts, then LOL and WTF ends up doing the opposite of that. Granted I'd still make the same posts anyway even without them...but a lot of people like to farm LOL and WTF on here lol.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I mainly would give agrees and would prob get back WTFs
    maskedweasel
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Honestly.. if I HAD to gauge every post I read.. I think my WTF button would be worn off, but.. I'd kill for a "Shut the Fuck Up" button for some posters that I often make an effort to ignore.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    My only wish would be to remove all the reactions, all the points, remove the colors and just have everyone be the same like it was in the old days. 

But...

I agree. They don't do anything, and doesn't make people make better content. In many ways it ends up doing the opposite. They aren't very useful.

At least reddit points you can sell on uh "internet black market reddit account selling sites" so if you have enough reddit points and don't post in a certain political subreddit, can get 20-100 USD out of a reddit account. Which is an actual thing btw.

MMORPG.com no one is gonna want to buy a random account on here no matter how many posts or points one has lol. 

If their purpose was to make better quality posts, then LOL and WTF ends up doing the opposite of that. Granted I'd still make the same posts anyway even without them...but a lot of people like to farm LOL and WTF on here lol.

I think it takes away from the actual discussions - if we were all anon (to eachother - but names were visible to moderators only), without any posts, metrics, colors etc... there would be zero predisposed bias and people would focus more on CONTENT of each post and less on who is posting.

Bias in forums is real - people see a poster and will immediately have a whole bunch of predisposed ideas about the person - and will use that bias to skew the discussion.

it sucks - but I've said enough already - if this was a perfect form - no names, no numbers of posts, no colors, - just all the same - only let names be visible to moderators - that way the only thing that matters is content of each post and not who is posting it.

I don't agree that bias is necessarily a bad thing. It is in our nature. It can be a good thing or it can be a bad thing. It depends on each individual.

I don't agree that we should treat all individuals as nameless equals. Hierarchy has roots in nature for millions of years. And the hierarchy here has formed solely on each individual's insight, opinions, activity, etc. Not your social or racial background, not your financial status, etc. It is just formed based on what you have written about games and gaming. 

And there's a reason we form bias and place people in a hierarchy even in our mind. Because we don't have time or the capability to assess and evaluate everyone we meet, each time we meet them.

Of course there are negative sides to this as well. But to throw it all away is just wrong.

Now I'm not saying the system here is perfect. As some of you know I've been working on this subject for some time now. But I still consider its pros do highly weigh over its cons.
    MadFrenchieGdemami
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I give more "insightfuls" than anything else. Many posters look at things differently from me and it's interesting to see some differing viewpoints.

I receive more agrees than anything else (I had to look at my profile). I'd rather have more insightfuls :)

I do agree with @DMKano about the whole system, though. It punishes differing viewpoints.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DMKano said:

Well  Kano, And i say this with no ill intent as you do like many of your post and you have some good insight ..

But when they made this transition .. You raced to get that gold tag , and i even recall you boasting of the quality of your posts is what got you there .. You were in nearly every single thread .. Repeatedley , you wanted and needed to get that tag .. And if this site had a proper search engine i would show it ..

So maybe you have changed your view of it .. But at the time you enjoyed and wanted to achieve at it
      Anyone that was here saw it watched it ..
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I'll need an Orange to release a Guide for quick forum leveling. I think I just sit and spin in circles most days....

I'll need a new Teal color introduced and given to me for "Read at your own risk" status.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Ungood said:
    Honestly.. if I HAD to gauge every post I read.. I think my WTF button would be worn off, but.. I'd kill for a "Shut the Fuck Up" button for some posters that I often make an effort to ignore.
    @Gdemami is way ahead of you, having repurposed LOL to STFU long ago.
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    DMKano said:

Were colors added with the reactions? I vaguely remember colors still back in the day (I joined in 08 though). I remember titles being given to people like Quizzical who helped with PC related issues quite often.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

But...

I think it takes away from the actual discussions - if we were all anon (to eachother - but names were visible to moderators only), without any posts, metrics, colors etc... there would be zero predisposed bias and people would focus more on CONTENT of each post and less on who is posting.

Bias in forums is real - people see a poster and will immediately have a whole bunch of predisposed ideas about the person - and will use that bias to skew the discussion.

it sucks - but I've said enough already - if this was a perfect form - no names, no numbers of posts, no colors, - just all the same - only let names be visible to moderators - that way the only thing that matters is content of each post and not who is posting it.

I don't agree that bias is necessarily a bad thing. It is in our nature. It can be a good thing or it can be a bad thing. It depends on each individual.

I don't agree that we should treat all individuals as nameless equals. Hierarchy has roots in nature for millions of years. And the hierarchy here has formed solely on each individual's insight, opinions, activity, etc. Not your social or racial background, not your financial status, etc. It is just formed based on what you have written about games and gaming. 

And there's a reason we form bias and place people in a hierarchy even in our mind. Because we don't have time or the capability to assess and evaluate everyone we meet, each time we meet them.

Of course there are negative sides to this as well. But to throw it all away is just wrong.

Now I'm not saying the system here is perfect. As some of you know I've been working on this subject for some time now. But I still consider its pros do highly weigh over its cons.
    True enough.  Bias and predispositions aren't completely avoidable- it's wired into our brains to help organize, streamline, and interpret often-incomplete information or stimuli.

Not to say the system couldn't be improved.  But saying there is no value to such systems is also an unfair generalization.