Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Citizencon Stream is Paywalled

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Babuinix said:
    The main presentation is free to watch live. It's only some technic dev panels that require you to be a subscriber , concierge or pay 20$ to see live.

Also everything will be posted on youtube some eventually after the show. 

It's another non issue made into drama, again lol

Comes the show everyone will have a great time, they will show a lot of the amazing stuff  and make millions in the process whille be enjoying the new released update.
    Fixed that for you
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited August 2018
    This is all a big meh, when Citcon arrives, tied intended release/open PTU of Alpha 3.3, nobody will care either they'll not see the devs talking about the game art or how they create the game in the stream, those panels on the first place were criticized last year by the general audience of being "boring", same story with the lore shows...
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Blizzcon tickets are $200 each at a minimum. The fancy dinner stuff costs more I think ($500) and the "virtual tickets" are $40. This is normal convention stuff, but don't let that stop your irrational judgement of one game company over another.

The critic cultists of this game are as freaky as the fanboys.
    I have gone to one convention in my life and it was for Star Wars in Orlando a few years back.  It was insane.  The tickets just get you into the convention center.  After that, you have to get wristbands to attend panels (getting on line at 4AM when the place doesn't open until 8:30) or spend money on things like autographs (which once again you had to pre-buy a ticket for and get in line hours early and hope the time didn't run out).  The "Jedi Master" tickets were $750 I think and they sold out in minutes.  Fan is derived from fanatic. And let me tell you, my experience with that one convention showed me that folks that attend are true fanatics.  I guarantee you that Blizzard could charge $1000 for certain premium tickets and sell out.

You know things are bad when I leave thinking to myself that if I ever did it again (never in a million years) I'd only do it after buying Jedi Master tickets for everyone so we could skip the lines.  For my family that's almost $4k.    Luckily The Last Jedi killed any chance of that.

I hate them to be honest, all of them. I think they're just big hype fluff things just to generate more revenue buzz. I don't think these guys are right in having a convention. I just don't think they're much different than most others.

Gamers are weird about how we subjectively trash stuff. Sometimes I wonder why a project annoys me so much. I think you pointed out fanboys in another post and how sometimes you might have liked a game if the community weren't such douche canoes (my phrasing). I get why people hate this project, but something the absurdity has to be ridiculed as much as the fanboys.

Anyway, this game is shaping up to be a similar disappointment to me as Elite Dangerous was. Too fiddly and sim-like. The developers think too highly of themselves and the experience they think they're providing. Boring.
    Although you were quick to jump on me, I'm not trashing the con at all (please show me where I did this).

...I just think it's funny because neither of the games are even out yet.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Blizzcon tickets are $200 each at a minimum. The fancy dinner stuff costs more I think ($500) and the "virtual tickets" are $40. This is normal convention stuff, but don't let that stop your irrational judgement of one game company over another.

I have gone to one convention in my life and it was for Star Wars in Orlando a few years back.  It was insane.  The tickets just get you into the convention center.  After that, you have to get wristbands to attend panels (getting on line at 4AM when the place doesn't open until 8:30) or spend money on things like autographs (which once again you had to pre-buy a ticket for and get in line hours early and hope the time didn't run out).  The "Jedi Master" tickets were $750 I think and they sold out in minutes.  Fan is derived from fanatic. And let me tell you, my experience with that one convention showed me that folks that attend are true fanatics.  I guarantee you that Blizzard could charge $1000 for certain premium tickets and sell out.

You know things are bad when I leave thinking to myself that if I ever did it again (never in a million years) I'd only do it after buying Jedi Master tickets for everyone so we could skip the lines.  For my family that's almost $4k.    Luckily The Last Jedi killed any chance of that.

I hate them to be honest, all of them. I think they're just big hype fluff things just to generate more revenue buzz. I don't think these guys are right in having a convention. I just don't think they're much different than most others.

Gamers are weird about how we subjectively trash stuff. Sometimes I wonder why a project annoys me so much. I think you pointed out fanboys in another post and how sometimes you might have liked a game if the community weren't such douche canoes (my phrasing). I get why people hate this project, but something the absurdity has to be ridiculed as much as the fanboys.

Anyway, this game is shaping up to be a similar disappointment to me as Elite Dangerous was. Too fiddly and sim-like. The developers think too highly of themselves and the experience they think they're providing. Boring.
    Im being objective as i can here Torval..

They just dont have the pedigree to be charging IMO
      For the amount of time they have spent in development and for what they have delivered, they are severely lacking in faith of the community outside of most of there backers ..

It would have been a good opportunity as good faith and expand there target audience and demographic to open it for free .. I think the pay off may have been better than to grab some quick ticket revenue ..But i really think they are smelling themselves , which many times does'nt end up well.

Gdemami
    edited August 2018
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

Although you were quick to jump on me, I'm not trashing the con at all (please show me where I did this).

And this is my problem with it , i dont see SC being out for 3 - 5 years and they want to charge for a Con....  Are they going to be doing this for the next 5 years as the community waits for them deliver CB1...?

When Blizz charged for there Con 05 they already had Warcraft 1,2 and 3 along with Diablo1 and 2 .. Then Wow in 04 .. Already a long standing devloped and established IP .. Not a Pre-Alpha dream , ( and use that term as i dont think they can deliver what they say in any kind of timely manner )

PhaserlightGdemami
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

I didn't quote or jump on your at all. You responded to me out of reaction with reasons why you weren't included. If you're going to jump in, then what can I say?

I stand by my point that the same core group that obsesses over how much this game sucks reaches a cult-like fanaticism in their dedication to hating it as much as the fanboys do with their fluffiness.

I also stand by the point that their convention fees aren't extraordinary.

Finally, I do not like hype because I feel it's out of check and negatively impacting the industry and its culture. Conventions are all about hype and money. Thus bleh.
    Weird, man...

You lump critics in with cultists, then ad hom when I point out how this analogy doesn't work.

/shrug

Whatever.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

Torval said:
    You didn't need to quote that back. The habitual critics are like cultists. You just got triggered and don't like the reality. No ad hom because neither side has a credible logical argument to present and there isn't a premise being argued over. If you want to self identify with that group, then yeah I think you guys get creepy with the obsessiveness.
    There are plenty of credible, logical arguments being made; I just don't think you've taken the time to gain an appreciable grasp of the issues before diving headlong into the discussion.  You seem to take exception to the fact that there is any controversy surrounding SC at all while relegating the matter to a vague, safe distance of 'disliked'.  There is no need to be intimidated by the volume of discussion surrounding an issue you have half-formed opinions on.

You also presume to tell me I've been "triggered", which is just rude.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2018
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

There's significant differences between the states of both studios and their products when Blizzard started charging for conventions, a fact @Scorchien pointed out.  Comparing the two as if they're equal is disingenuous.
    They're gaming conventions. They're like most any other fan con.

"No! My con gets a pass because <reasons>! Theirs is bad because they're bastards." :lol:  It's funny to watch the people and their arbitrary judgements talk like they're objective.
    Has nothing to do with it being mine or theirs, as neither Blizzard nor CIG are anything I'd consider mine.  

The question that should be asked is: is there a reason or benefit to spending all this time, effort, and cash during a crowdfunding development to merely fancy up the delivery of development updates to backers?  And if so, does that outweigh the costs of delivering the convention?

Because that's all this is.  An annual, super-fancy information drop.
    Octagon7711Phaserlight

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited September 2018
    Torval said:
    You didn't need to quote that back. The habitual critics are like cultists. You just got triggered and don't like the reality. No ad hom because neither side has a credible logical argument to present and there isn't a premise being argued over. If you want to self identify with that group, then yeah I think you guys get creepy with the obsessiveness.
    There are reasons to despise their business practices though. Outright lying is one. And it's not misrepresenting or making a mistake. They outright lie about things in order to help bring in money. One example of them lying is having people pledge  for SQ42 up to a month before the end of year in 2016 with a supposed release that year. But there are many others that are undeniable lies and then many misrepresentations that might as well be lies (sandworm is an example).

Watching a business lie and then watching people defend the lies, people that have put in thousands of dollars into the project, is disturbing to me. I'm not actually sure that people are more accepting of liars these days, but based on what is happening here, and in a broader sense, it does appear that people just don't care about it as much as they used to. To me at least, this SC thing is just a microcosm of a bigger problem we are facing right now.

But maybe people have always wanted to believe lies and now it is just more obvious because we are more connected. I don't really know for sure.
    Post edited by BeansnBread on
    MadFrenchieGdemamiOctagon7711PhaserlightKefo
    edited August 2018
    Chris Roberts updates his response: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/citizencon-streaming

After sleeping on this, I am going to chalk this one up to experience.

We're going to cut back on the live-streaming crew / costs but have both stages streamed for anyone with a Star Citizen user account.

Star Citizen Content Creators are welcome to rebroadcast our stream live.

If you would like to support the additional costs of streaming all the presentations, you can support the show by purchasing the CitizenCon digital goodies package (Imperators still get this as their October flair)

With this, CIG withdraws the Digital Ticket and cuts the professional live streaming crew, the entire event will be Streamed to everyone. Might want to update OP @rpmcmurphy as this renders the previous announcement obselete if you so wish ofc
    BeansnBreadrertezOctagon7711
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    MaxBacon said:
    Chris Roberts updates his response: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/citizencon-streaming

We're going to cut back on the live-streaming crew / costs but have both stages streamed for anyone with a Star Citizen user account.

If you would like to support the additional costs of streaming all the presentations, you can support the show by purchasing the CitizenCon digital goodies package (Imperators still get this as their October flair)

With this, CIG withdraws the Digital Ticket and cuts the professional live streaming crew, the entire event will be Streamed to everyone.
    Good on them.
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchieOctagon7711Phaserlight
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Kinda dumb; they should at least let any paying customer stream the live event for free since it's not the same level as being there. I mean hell ZeniMax hands out codes for watching twitch streams and all you have to do is connect your twitch account to ESO.

I don't care who you are, this is just shady.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Oh gee this is new.

Don't you dare imply disaparagement of Randy Marsh!  I won't allow it!
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

edited August 2018
    @Torval the reason is easy to see for anyone who wants to see. Previously every citizencon expect last year, was only the keynote, the usual main demo and that was mostly about it.

But last year, they expanded to a proper conference, from booths to play the game and specific demos, to demo dev panels, something that lasted the entire day.

And there's the thing, last year, INTEL sponsored the conference with the whole Octane partnership, so this year (and this comes from backer feedback) they go bigger to have a bigger venue that can hold more people and all, and this is where without a proper sponsor the conference gets expensive.

It's not unreasonable that the streaming crew and setup would be over 100k, for a larger convention like this and one event that lasts a day, so that alone would likely be the revenue generated from the sold tickets.
    Torval said:
    Tiller said:
    Kinda dumb; they should at least let any paying customer stream the live event for free since it's not the same level as being there. I mean hell ZeniMax hands out codes for watching twitch streams and all you have to do is connect your twitch account to ESO.

I suppose because they are crowd-funded and convention crews are expensive they were passing on costs. I would have thought people considered that responsible - if a hype convention can be considered as such.

I didn't see it as shady though because the few conventions my company attends cost us a lot. It costs between $10k - $20k for us to attend with a small booth (sometimes shared). Internet access to the convention area alone can cost several hundred dollars just for 5 days.

Maybe cons are good advertising for them. They probably need it after that demo they just showed off. :lol:
    I was thinking the same- this is uncharacteristically pragmatic of CR.
    [Deleted User]

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited August 2018
    MaxBacon said:

With this, CIG withdraws the Digital Ticket and cuts the professional live streaming crew, the entire event will be Streamed to everyone. Might want to update OP @rpmcmurphy as this renders the previous announcement obselete if you so wish ofc
    Original post is updated. Left the original content for context.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm glad he reversed his decision.  Even Forbes wrote an article about the paywall.

And Your Monthly 'Star Citizen' Controversy Is...A $20 Paywall To Watch CitizenCon
    Gdemami

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Wise move Chris
    Phaserlight
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    going to be nice seeing how all the people who defended it back pedal now they have changed their minds (couldnt stand the major backlash they got and the Forbes article had a lot to do with it I suspect)

I dont have a problem with any NON 'member' 'citizen' sheep having to pay. But as I said in my first post anyone who has given them a single penny should get access to every COMMUNITY 'event' they put on. End of story.

I am sure they will spin it somehow and that if people complain about 'lack of content' they will use this as an excuse.
    edited September 2018
    rodarin said:
    going to be nice seeing how all the people who defended it back pedal now they have changed their minds (couldnt stand the major backlash they got and the Forbes article had a lot to do with it I suspect)
    lol, don't confuse the Forbes name and reach with its bloggers, the ones that write opinion pieces on the website (as disclaimed). Kotaku drama-llama gets more hits..
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Torval said:
    Tiller said:

I suppose because they are crowd-funded and convention crews are expensive they were passing on costs. I would have thought people considered that responsible - if a hype convention can be considered as such.

I didn't see it as shady though because the few conventions my company attends cost us a lot. It costs between $10k - $20k for us to attend with a small booth (sometimes shared). Internet access to the convention area alone can cost several hundred dollars just for 5 days.

Maybe cons are good advertising for them. They probably need it after that demo they just showed off. :lol:
    Yeah but streaming it should just be considered an advertising cost. If they had maybe generated actual hype around the live stream, did some drawings for viewers, threw out some swag for purchasing a ship package during the stream ect, it might have paid for itself that way.

In my opinion everything they have done with this game from day one is all wrong and breaks the norms, and not in a good way (asking for more and more money and time, breaking the game into buggy modules, ect) which is why I feel something is shady about it.
    Gdemami
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    I'm glad he reversed his decision.  Even Forbes wrote an article about the paywall.

And Your Monthly 'Star Citizen' Controversy Is...A $20 Paywall To Watch CitizenCon
    If he had any common sense he wouldn't have propose it to begin with. "Here is a bright idea why not let people who watch our con to pay for watching us advertise." It's downward ridiculous. paying for the game product is one thing, paying for watching them advertise is a completely different thing. A movie on netflix doesn't even cost $20 and it has big budget.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Torval said:
    Tiller said:

I was thinking the same- this is uncharacteristically pragmatic of CR.
    Even CR knows there's a time not to go full fanboy....
    MadFrenchieklash2defPhaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

If he had any common sense he wouldn't have propose it to begin with. "Here is a bright idea why not let people who watch our con to pay for watching us advertise." It's downward ridiculous. paying for the game product is one thing, paying for watching them advertise is a completely different thing. A movie on netflix doesn't even cost $20 and it has big budget.
    Like suggested on one of the forums, it appears he gets stressed around convention planning time and comes up with, selling land, tanks, and now digital tickets.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Erillion said:
    >>>  Has cig ever given you something for nothing? <<<

Hope.

Have fun
    Yeah well, that's not worth much unless you're suggesting CIG is in fact the Blue Lantern Corps. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic