Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think the WoW type players can slow down in PUGs?

2»

Comments

• asteldiancaliskanasteldiancaliskan Member UncommonPosts: 58
    flizzer said:
    I'm sure I am the type of player the original poster doesnt not like.  I don't want "hard content".   Ideally I want to jump in a game and maybe invest an hour or so and feel I've accomplished a lot.  I remember early days in LOTRO doing raids that would take hours and wondering if I was going to stay with LOTRO.   Fortunately, they broke those raids up into mini raids and take less than an hour mostly.

Although I'm not a WoW player, I doubt I will play Pantheon.  I've seen videos and everything just looks so tedious.  Find a group.  How long will this take?  On launch, sure, grouping will be easy but months later it will be harder finding groups for earlier content.  Always works this way in these type of games.  Seems like it takes half an hour to make your way up a hill.  NO thanks.  I don;t care to spend that long climbing a hill.  Ultimately, I want to be able to jump in to a game and not rely on forming a group of players I need to coordinate with for my fun.  In my view GW2 is brilliant on this area.  You are next to someone and therefore you are in a group.  Simple.  

Perhaps there are enough "old time"  players for this tedious type of play but count me out.

And there is nothing wrong with this. Pantheon will not be your kind of game and at least it is not trying to be with false promises. Fans have a bad habit of being defensive and offended by the idea of people not liking its playstyle (to be fair this is often because the players not liking what Pantheon offers tend to be rude about it). Not liking a game that wants you to invest time and group is not an issue, it doesn't make you some crazed moron. It makes you lucky that you can enjoy the stream of on demand mmos out there.

I personally hate GW2, and ultimately no doubt for the very reasons you like it and ironically for the same reason you ultimately have no interest in Pantheon - its tedious gameplay. The difference is all in what one defines as tedious.

I just hope there are enough people with similar tastes to me that enable Pantheon to stay afloat
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Lol so many people say this type of game is slow.. Just wait. I personally cant wait to start chain pulling groups again, racing to something against another group. Working with my guild to get to some raid boss before another guild. You go ahead and play it slow, ill play it a whole nother way with my friends.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited August 2018
    The isn't targeting Wow players.

This is a genre specific game.

It's clearly obvious a few posters here are oblivious of the term. The industry has been too far removed from it for too long.

I imagine a great many players will cry out and demand change, and will be shocked to hear they are not empowered to do so. They may reach levels of near hemorrhagic fever due to their feelings of entitlement through social conformity, but hopefully the developers let the market decide the fate of the game and not whine from people wanting clone # 97,901.

You stay sassy!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Zindaihas said:
    I generally don't look at MMOs in terms of how hard or easy their content is.  I tend to view them in terms of how immersive or non-immersive they are; and difficulty is a byproduct of that.

One of the things that sticks in my mind about my early days of playing EQ is how challenging the battles were when I was soloing at low level.  I remember going toe to toe with mobs and having many of the fights come down to me being a hit or two away from falling.  It was a rush.

As MMOs evolved (and became less immersive, in my view) the mobs became less of a foe to defeat and more of an obstacle to get past.  You just ran up to them, chopped them down in about three swings and then moved on to the next obstacle.  Easier for sure, but more importantly, less immersive.

What was this topic about?  Oh WoW?  Well I can't really speak to that as I hardly played it.  But if Pantheon plays like EQ and WoW players don't like EQ, I can't really see them being drawn to Pantheon.
    So often in Everquest I have been left surviving by the skin of my teeth like 2 hp from death and often to survive and die to poison anyway while desperately trying to bandage or mend as a monk and have it fail. 

It isn't really about complicated combat moves but the very fact that so many things could go wrong easily in Everquest if you let your attention stray. This is what made it difficult while a lot of combat these days is about how fast you pressed your keys which is hopeless in my case. That is completely out because I cannot manage a game that depends on how fast I press my keys to manoeuvre my character. That is not difficult because those games really rely on muscle memory and young hands and it takes skill I do not possess but with a 12 button mouse I can manage a game that requires me to select and use the right skills without relying on moving my character overly much.

I think Everquest was difficult because of unexpected spawns and the dire consequences of overconfidence coupled with the lack of knowledge of an area. It was always very exciting to play it and the consequences of dying made it even more edgy.

People who enjoy WoW may not like Pantheon simply because it isn't a game they would enjoy. Their interest is different not inferior just different. There are many games that provide a different experience and the old Everquest isn't superior to them just an experience some of us enjoy and I also believe it requires a certain mindset one would be hard pressed to find in abundance these days hence expecting WoW players to play Pantheon and enjoy it is not very likely.
    Knytta
    Chamber of Chains
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited August 2018
    cheyane said:
    Zindaihas said:
    I generally don't look at MMOs in terms of how hard or easy their content is.  I tend to view them in terms of how immersive or non-immersive they are; and difficulty is a byproduct of that.

One of the things that sticks in my mind about my early days of playing EQ is how challenging the battles were when I was soloing at low level.  I remember going toe to toe with mobs and having many of the fights come down to me being a hit or two away from falling.  It was a rush.

As MMOs evolved (and became less immersive, in my view) the mobs became less of a foe to defeat and more of an obstacle to get past.  You just ran up to them, chopped them down in about three swings and then moved on to the next obstacle.  Easier for sure, but more importantly, less immersive.

What was this topic about?  Oh WoW?  Well I can't really speak to that as I hardly played it.  But if Pantheon plays like EQ and WoW players don't like EQ, I can't really see them being drawn to Pantheon.
    So often in Everquest I have been left surviving by the skin of my teeth like 2 hp from death and often to survive and die to poison anyway while desperately trying to bandage or mend as a monk and have it fail. 

It isn't really about complicated combat moves but the very fact that so many things could go wrong easily in Everquest if you let your attention stray. This is what made it difficult while a lot of combat these days is about how fast you pressed your keys which is hopeless in my case. That is completely out because I cannot manage a game that depends on how fast I press my keys to manoeuvre my character. That is not difficult because those games really rely on muscle memory and young hands and it takes skill I do not possess but with a 12 button mouse I can manage a game that requires me to select and use the right skills without relying on moving my character overly much.

I think Everquest was difficult because of unexpected spawns and the dire consequences of overconfidence coupled with the lack of knowledge of an area. It was always very exciting to play it and the consequences of dying made it even more edgy.

People who enjoy WoW may not like Pantheon simply because it isn't a game they would enjoy. Their interest is different not inferior just different. There are many games that provide a different experience and the old Everquest isn't superior to them just an experience some of us enjoy and I also believe it requires a certain mindset one would be hard pressed to find in abundance these days hence expecting WoW players to play Pantheon and enjoy it is not very likely.
    This. I agree.

But lets get real. One of the reasons it mattered was because you could die. Dying in Everquest was painful sometimes. It wasn't just experience you lost (which could run into hours of lost time). But you had to run back to your experience spot. Running back to the zone could be 30 minutes or more in worst case. And then you had to find your corpse, something not always easy to do.

If there was no pain in death, having 2 hp left isn't going to produce the same rush. The pain results from negative consequence.

Some people played a different Everquest though. Maybe they rarely PUG'd or almost never played on impulse. Did a lot of camping? They rarely died. For them it was rinse/repeat. They remember a very samey experience. So don't get the idea everyone experienced the same thing because they didn't.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I understand the desire to taking it slow and enjoy the journey. But when you are going to work everyday, you'd just want to get there as fast as you can. You don't care about the journey, only the destination.

And you are farming a dungeon/raid, and this is your 28th run, you don't want to stop to smell the flowers and enjoy the scenery. You want your run to be fast and smooth. 

Is there anyone here who doesn't want that? If so, why?
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited August 2018
    Zindaihas said:

I played EQ for a long time and loved it. I hated WoW because I felt it was more casual. But my younger sister loved WoW. One thing she'd always tell me is how immersive her large widescreen monitor was.

I guess I sort of agreed. I was always fond of first person in EQ. But immersion for me was the rush too. It was gameplay. The rush, ironically, is produced by limitations. Without a rush, it's boring. She dislikes rush. She likes explosions and excitment, for what its' worth--but without any frustrations. She'd use cheat mode in Skyrim to avoid death. That's unlike me. I've always hated cheat modes.

One thing different about her from me is she likes collecting things. She does a lot more alts to max level than I did. Her friends in-game are closer--even personal--than mine were. Beyond that, I don't know much about her gaming style. It's just always amusing to me how different we're and yet how similar we can be. We both like the spirit of adventure and immersing in the game world. We just do it differently. For example, I've always loved playing in PvP MMORPGs. She almost never PvPs. In fact, I was palying Quake 2 and  Tribes deathmatches 20 yeasr ago. The first Everquest server I played on was PvP and I stayed on the PvP servers for most of my time on live.

Over the years, I've intentionally held back on explaining to her how i feel about all this. We never talk about it honestly. I guess I"m afraid if I was honest we'd just argue. So mainly I focus on what we agree with.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Nope.  It'll be interesting to see what that ultimately means for the game though.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I understand the desire to taking it slow and enjoy the journey. But when you are going to work everyday, you'd just want to get there as fast as you can. You don't care about the journey, only the destination.

And you are farming a dungeon/raid, and this is your 28th run, you don't want to stop to smell the flowers and enjoy the scenery. You want your run to be fast and smooth. 

Me. If all I wanted was to rush through content for rewards, I would play Pac Man or some side scrolling jumping game. 

I play mmorpgs because I want the experience of being in a world. I want to enjoy my immersion in that world and its content. I also want to enjoy that with friends who I can talk to as we play without risk of jeopardizing not finishing something in under 5 minutes. If I have to dash through every encounter, that significantly takes away from my enjoyment and even my desire to play at all. 

I do get what you are saying about doing something for the 28th time. But dungeon runs are not just about me. There may be other players in the group who are there for the first time. I would want to respect that and not rush them.

If there are no such players grouped, and it's everyone's 28th time, well maybe you can speed run it. But I would argue that mechanics that encourage that are bad game design. 
    ConstantineMerusKyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Amathe said:

Me. If all I wanted was to rush through content for rewards, I would play Pac Man or some side scrolling jumping game. 

I play mmorpgs because I want the experience of being in a world. I want to enjoy my immersion in that world and its content. I also want to enjoy that with friends who I can talk to as we play without risk of jeopardizing not finishing something in under 5 minutes. If I have to dash through every encounter, that significantly takes away from my enjoyment and even my desire to play at all. 

I do get what you are saying about doing something for the 28th time. But dungeon runs are not just about me. There may be other players in the group who are there for the first time. I would want to respect that and not rush them.

If there are no such players grouped, and it's everyone's 28th time, well maybe you can speed run it. But I would argue that mechanics that encourage that are bad game design. 
    Hey mate I feel ya. And I agree this is bad game design to some extent--hence the carrot on the stick metaphor. 

What I mean is, when game is design about grinding the same content over and over again, it would become about running them as fast as you can. This isn't players fault. This is bad design, as you said it. 

And you are right about respect. It is stupid you ask people for achievements on the first week of the content being released, which happens more than you think. It is stupid to join a random party and flame everyone for dying or not being fast enough. I'm not condoning those types of retarded anti-social behaviors. 

But I also believe in respecting other people's time as well. So if someone is advertising a group for a speed run, and I lack gear or enough experience in that certain dungeon, or I'm just in a mood for a slow and fun run, I'd stay away. And I'd try to find a group for a casual run. 

This is where group finding tools are at fault. Because they force group different people together. And this is why I never use them. I prefer to spend more time finding the right kind of people to play with. Whether I am in for a casual or a speed run, won't matter. 
    Amathe
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    No mmorpg has ever succeeded by throwing hate at wow players.
  • ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    cheyane said:

I have to share this story from my playing days of EQ:

When my ranger was about level 33, I was farming for something in Guk (can't remember what it was).  It was getting late and the gang I was grouping with had all logged off.  In fact, it was so late that the zone was virtually empty and I couldn't find anyone else to group with.

I wasn't powerful enough to solo in that dungeon, so I logged off my ranger and logged onto my brother's troll warrior who was about level 55 at the time.  I was destroying everything I was fighting so I got a little cocky and started pulling more and more mobs.  It got to the point where I had pulled about half the zone.  My AC was so high the frogloks could hardly lay a hand on me.  However, every once in a while they would score a hit.

Well I had so many frogs banging on me, they eventually started to wear me down and I saw my health getting lower and lower and lower.  It got to the point where I got a little nervous that I wouldn't be able to kill them all before they killed me.  And if I had let my brother's character die, I didn't know how I was going to get his stuff back.  He would have woken up the next day and logged on only to find his troll was naked.

Well I managed to kill every frog except one, but I was down to about 10hps or so.  The last frog hit me and knocked me unconscious.  I was sure I was dead.  But he kept swinging and was unable to land the killing blow.  Slowly my health went back up and when I regained consciousness, I immediately swung and killed him with a single shot.  At that point I learned my lesson and got out of there.

The next day I told my brother about it.  Needless to say, he was less than thrilled. :)

svanncheyane

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

If I am running a dungeon for the 28th time Im clearly playing the wrong game.

I loath rerunning dungeons more than a few times unless they are more challenging high end ones like Darkness Falls where "surprises" both PVE and RVR abounded.

I recall running Stratholm in vanilla WOW and the tank telling the group he was on his 77th run or something, hoping for his final set piece to drop. (a helm as I recall)

It boggled my mind someone would actually do such a thing just to get gear which soon would be replaced by the next tier.

As things would have it, the sought after item dropped, only to go to a hunter who decided to keep it for his alt and he promptly dropped group.  

This lead to the tank quitting as well and the run was over.

Ninja looting was still a relatively new and rare phenomenon which quickly grew to the point pugging was no longer enjoyable so I quit doing it.

Fortunately I was close to 60 so I only grouped enough to get blue gear for every slot (bought some BOEs on auction also) as it was the minimum requirement to join the raid guild I was planning on joining.

Never pugged again after that, either raided or went solo.

ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    kosaboy said:
    Ungood said:
    Also.. 

Speed Runs.

People do Speed Runs, because they have done this content hundreds of times before, and will need to do this content hundreds of times more to get what they want, they are bored sick of this content, but still want the loot that it drops, they have gotten to the point they just speed run through it.

This has nothing to do with challenge, skill, or anything else, this is all about loot, and how fast can they can get it. Speed Runs are not about proving anything, they are the result of a game system that requires grinding.

The more anyone needs to repeat the content, the easier it is for them to memorize, the faster they will want each time to go, as they have stopped personally learning anything from the content, it's just repetition at this point for them.

So they want to get it over with as fast as possible.

This is not a problem by any means, the only time this becomes an issue at all, is if a first time player is running with people who have gotten to the point they have memorized the encounter and just want a completion and loot at this point, so one is trying to learn while the other is just grinding.

i think this is the fact of it. Any game i have played where you have to run dungeons over and over it turns into a speed run.
    In WoW we grew our guild to near 100.  It was the first and last time we ever got bigger than 20ish.   To keep things fun I used to do a "hosting" job like Jeff Probst on Survivor.  We'd have different teams racing through the same dungeon in different ventrillo channels (pre-Discord).  I'd be popping around the channels giving updates:

The RED TEAM just destroyed (insert boss here) and is streaking towards (Insert POI here).  PICK IT UP BLUE TEAM!!!

It was fun.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    edited August 2018
    There are a lot of assumptions and generalizations being made in the responses to the OP.  Being a WOW player (or former in my case) doesn't necessarily mean you don't like difficult content or that you prefer to speed run something.  We players adapt to the game.  Difficult games means we (might) take it slow.  Easy games mean we will probably end up rushing the content at some point.

Don't assume that the average player base of WOW isn't interested in Pantheon.  It probably means there is nothing "better" out right now.  Why play a WOW clone when you can suffer play through the original?

Let's be fair.  EQ was difficult in it's day.  To some extent, it has some hard parts now.  Even then though, I rush things.  Granted, I tend to play Support or Monk, so I can push the group as hard as I want.  Nothing better than being an enchanter and keeping multiple mobs parked and waiting :)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited August 2018
    Roguewiz said:
    There are a lot of assumptions and generalizations being made in the responses to the OP.  Being a WOW player (or former in my case) doesn't necessarily mean you don't like difficult content or that you prefer to speed run something.  We players adapt to the game.  Difficult games means we (might) take it slow.  Easy games mean we will probably end up rushing the content at some point.

Don't assume that the average player base of WOW isn't interested in Pantheon.  It probably means there is nothing "better" out right now.  Why play a WOW clone when you can suffer play through the original?

Let's be fair.  EQ was difficult in it's day.  To some extent, it has some hard parts now.  Even then though, I rush things.  Granted, I tend to play Support or Monk, so I can push the group as hard as I want.  Nothing better than being an enchanter and keeping multiple mobs parked and waiting :)
    You were an Everquest player. I think most are making some assumptions which have exceptions but they are about players whose MMORPG experience has only been WoW and games like WoW. I do not think it would be greatly wrong to suggest they will not be interested in a game like Everquest and as always there are exceptions but by and large I very much doubt they will want to play a game like Pantheon. The combat alone will put them to sleep.
    Chamber of Chains
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    cheyane said:
    Roguewiz said:

You were an Everquest player. I think most are making some assumptions which have exceptions but they are about players whose MMORPG experience has only been WoW and games like WoW. I do not think it would be greatly wrong to suggest they will not be interested in a game like Everquest and as always there are exceptions but by and large I very much doubt they will want to play a game like Pantheon. The combat alone will put them to sleep.

This.  I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst in regards to the game.  The recent visual updates have been very pretty, but I don't think many people are going to want to go back to shouting LFG for an hour plus or sitting around doing nothing while you wait for mages to recover mana, etc.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Worrying about how WoW players react to this game is moot until Pantheon actually attracts some WoW players away from Blizzard.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.