Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horizons for Xmas .... Not bad at all.

Well it seems my thread about the state of the genre told one little white lie. I said I was gonna play some single player games for a while but I got Horizons for Xmas and decided to give the 30 days free play a whirl.

On the whole I'm pretty impressed. Nothing new in terms of gameplay but there's something about it that's got my attention.

I like the graphic style. It aint what you'de call photographic quality but it's atmospheric and runs well on my mid-range PC.

I like to explore and it pays off in Horizons. I've played to many MMORPGs that big themselves up about how massive the play area is. The problem is they're all filled with nothing but trees, rivers and bridges!!

Horizons on the other hand has a lot to look at. Yesterday I wandered onto an ice pack over the sea onto an island. After getting lost in a howling blizzard and dodging ice golems that loomed out of the blinding snow I found a bridge of ice that lead to a massive sorcerers tower. Excellent stuff. I've seen much more that I'de like to explore but it's all a bit dangerous for me at the moment.

Combat isn't as taxing as it could be and I haven't tried crafting yet (going to make a crafting character when I've posted this).

I'de recommend Horizons with one word of warning. I get a lot of CTDs (system lock-ups before I got 1gig ram). I think it's to do with only having a 56k modem (thanks to BT for the lack of BB).

----------------------------------
Don't jump off the roof Dad
You'll make a hole in the yard

Comments

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

I really am not sure why Horizons picked up some of the bad rap it has. It's a far better game than it's rumored to be.

• StukovStukov Member Posts: 180

Also got it for Christmas (Ok, the 26th since the morons at EB Games said they'd never heard of it)

At first it didn't seem to special...but once I started getting into it, it bears out pretty much any MMORPG I've played since (DAoC, SWG, etc).

The bad things people list...bugs? I honestly haven't seen any bug (At least that I know of.) Combat..you can get up and walk away? Sure, but you won't do too well...I'm lvl 7 and filled 1 hotbar up with attacks and such already that I use.

• webBear1000webBear1000 Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by ianubisi

I really am not sure why Horizons picked up some of the bad rap it has. It's a far better game than it's rumored to be.

Some people's glasses are half empty and some people's glasses are half full.

There are people who are detemined to keep their glass half empty and will slag off anything as some sort of wierd, twisted, principle.

The measure will come for me after about a month. I tend to get bored with things quickly and turn to something else.

I thought maybe my CTD problems were over this morning after some maintainance on the wind server but alas my hopes were dashed. It takes a good game to keep me plugging away though, my patience is pretty thin most of the time. When I get a CTD I just reload and carry on.

Kinda makes me reluctant to group with people though, I don't wanna leave them in the lurch. Which is a shame.

I'm sure they'll sort stability out soon enough. *crosses fingers*

• StukovStukov Member Posts: 180
    Hmm, friend is having CTD problems as well. Just randomly. But its only after he installed his 9600 XT...what do you have?

• webBear1000webBear1000 Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by Stukov
    Hmm, friend is having CTD problems as well. Just randomly. But its only after he installed his 9600 XT...what do you have?

'Fraid that's not the problem. I've got an FX5900, but thanks anyway.

I think a lot of people are having problems with Radeon chipsets. I don't know much about Radeon but there's two types of drivers or something, one works ok and one doesn't.

Sorry to be a bit vague there but like I said, I don't know much about them.

I think it's my connection speed. I heard a rumour that you get kicked if you've got a low connection speed after a while. I don't believe that's true for one second.

Originally posted by webBear1000
    I think it's my connection speed. I heard a rumour that you get kicked if you've got a low connection speed after a while. I don't believe that's true for one second.

It's not true at all. That rumor was born out of the problems relating to that first Friday after release, when they had some pretty severe problems with the load on their Authentication server. Slower connections were suffering most because of how latency affects them, and latency was the real killer when you're in queue for something. That problem has never resurfaced past that one day...and it was the only major glitch I have ever seen for this game, which is an amazing feat for a modern MMOG.

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

I really had my hopes up for this game, but I can't stand a game like that without PvP... Killing the same limited monsters over and over and then crafting the same stuff over and over isn't my schtik.

I prefer having other people make them and then kill them on a path out of town. image

I really thought the dragon thing would be awesome. Raise my dragon, put a lot of time and effort into it. Maybe even a year of just leveling. And then become an Ancient Dragon and plunder towns and raid the country side. image

But sadly, I was very disappointed when I heard the announcement of no PvP.

K: 73% A: 60% S: 33% E: 33%
    Anything you hate will be the root of everything you breathe.
    Breathing in the dirt will leave you hating all that you conceive.
    I never thought I'd be the one to bring it down to this.
    My last thought is through a statement and a shattered fist.
    Face down, fearless, light me up, end this.
    Face down, fearless, light me up, END THIS!

-Machiavelli

Originally posted by ViolentY

But sadly, I was very disappointed when I heard the announcement of no PvP.

Your sadness was my happiness. Well, not your personal sadness...but you understand what I mean.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820
    I considered reactivating my account when they released the new patch exactly 5 hours after I canceled and uninstalled HZ, but then I remembered how tedious the game was.image I just can't forgive it.image

imageKiamdeimage

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

They could have made PvP servers along with non-PvP to make us both happy. :(

-Machiavelli

Originally posted by ViolentY
    They could have made PvP servers along with non-PvP to make us both happy. :(

I disagree. Adding PvP to a PvM game means that both the PvP and PvM players get handed nerfs that are suited for one end of the gameplay, but not the other. Look at what happened to UO...it's a direct result of that kind of compromise.

I stand by my guns on PvP. MMOGs should be either 100% PvP or 100% PvM. The mixture of the pair makes for a messy engine. Now, that means that there should be more PvP MMOG games on the market to give you PvP addicts more to choose from. I think you guys have been shortchanged quite a bit.

That's hardly ever the case. Look at Lineage, the most popular and successful MMORPG in the world. It's split right down the middle with PvP and non-PvP servers.

-Machiavelli

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820
    I'd say FFXI is the most successful atm. There are hundreds of thousands of players on at any given time and yet it has many countries to be released in.

imageKiamdeimage

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman