Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ray Tracing and how uber it is

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited August 2018
    The whole ray tracing marketing idea brings to mind the "xxxxx ready" approach. 2K ready, 4K ready and so on, no games out yet but you need to be ready for them! :)

Get an upgrade when you see many of the games you want to buy using the new tech.
    Post edited by Scot on
    Ridelynn[Deleted User]KyutaSyuko
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I bought a GeForce 1070 GTX but I am sure it is badly outdated by now right.  :(

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    kitarad said:
    I bought a GeForce 1070 GTX but I am sure it is badly outdated by now right.  :(
    I think it's got life left in it.  My 970 still performs admirably.

I'm thinking you're in a pretty good position to get some longevity outta your 1070.
    RidelynnOzmodanScot

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I agree with MadFrenchie here - just because new video cards come out, that doesn't make the older ones perform any worse.

Depending on your tolerance for adjusting in-game settings, driver updates are generally provided for a generation for about 5 years before getting phased out. Pascal was released in 2016, so it has at least 3 years left on that front (and probably a lot more - Fermi (400/500 series) was just retired this year, it ran for 8 years).

Games will come out that will bring your video card to it's knees. That will even be true of the 2080Ti - something out there will choke it at 4K MAX ULTRA settings. But if your thinking practically, just being intelligent about your setting sliders and your 1070 will be an excellent card for a long time.

I'm still very happy with my 980, I'm even running it at 4k right now, and it's comfortable for me. I've been running it for about 4 years now, which is a good run for me on a GPU. A lot of people will say a 980 can't drive 4k with a single card. Heck, a lot of people will say a 1080Ti can't really do it. But I'm not stuck on needing MAX ULTRA settings, and I'm not hung on 100Hz+ either. I honestly don't know that I would get all that much out of upgrading my video card right now - I'd rather have HDR and VRR capable monitors than I would more raw power in a GPU.
    jimmywolfMadFrenchieOzmodanScot
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    kitarad said:
    Nothing will phase your graphics card in 1080p.  Unless you think 4k is a necessary move, I would not worry.  Personally, the 4k monitors I have seen are still very overpriced.  Secondly even when you turn up your graphics to 4k, you won't see much of a difference in most games.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Ridelynn said:
    centkin said:
    Computers used to cost $3000.  It is only a recent phenomenon that decent gaming-capable computers became cheaper than that. 

I remember when Borland brought out professional level compilers for $50 breaking the grips of microsoft compilers at $500.  Again didn't last.

Things will be priced at what they can get away with.  One difference though today -- a computer doesn't entirely obsolete itself in 3 years.
    What? I'm 28 years old. In my childhood a decent gaming computer was ~ 500-600$ What did you pay 3000$ for? The electricity bill for the next 10 years
    Gotta go back a bit farther than that - before there was such a thing as a “gaming computer”  — there were basically three brands. Commodore was cheap but no one used it for much apart from hobbyists. Macintosh was out, insanely great, insanely niche, and insanely expensive. And the PC, still pricey, ran Lotus 1-2-3 and WordPerfect, and also a game or two on the side. Wasn’t hard to drop a lot more than $3k by the time you got the monitor, the dual side by side floppy attachment, the dot matrix printer, the cassette tape storage, the upgrade to 64k RAM, the upgrade from monochrome to four color, etc.
    Actually my TI 99/4A wasn't that pricy.  My original IBM PC with the goldstar 13" color monitor, 640K and 2 Floppy Drives, and later the 30 MB hard drive I added was pricier.  Then there was the 386-20......  Later PCs had the 3X CD drive(wonderful non-standard), The Voodoo 3000 card to play everquest on.  OS/2. 

I'm 49 years old and yes computers were $3k for a long time before they became significantly cheaper. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    This is why I used consoles for games until around the mid 90s.
    Ridelynn
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    centkin said:
    Computers used to cost $3000.  It is only a recent phenomenon that decent gaming-capable computers became cheaper than that. 

I remember when Borland brought out professional level compilers for $50 breaking the grips of microsoft compilers at $500.  Again didn't last.

Things will be priced at what they can get away with.  One difference though today -- a computer doesn't entirely obsolete itself in 3 years.
    What? I'm 28 years old. In my childhood a decent gaming computer was ~ 500-600$ What did you pay 3000$ for? The electricity bill for the next 10 years? 

The only issue with computers back then was the fact that they were developing too fast and each year you had to buy new stuff, however in the past 10 years that's not even an issue. People still rock on with i5-2500k for example. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is still daily gaming on Radeon 7xxx or GTX 6xx 

I'm a little older than 28. These were still fairly common after I was already serving my country.
    Ridelynn
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Just to give people a look back, when I built my first PC in 1981, I ended up spending $3500 on it, bought the basic 64k case with a basic GPU card, for about $1500 from Microcenter, and everything else off mail order.  Two floppy drives for $500, 300 baud modem for $300, an Epson 80 printer for $300, a 384k board for around $400 and an amber monitor for 250.  Throw in some software including DOS and you have the final price.  Of course if I were to buy all that in the store, it would have been over $6000.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I remember in 2008, printer ink cost more than a new printer. So I bought a new printer.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Cleffy said:
    I remember in 2008, printer ink cost more than a new printer. So I bought a new printer.
    That still is the case
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Cleffy said:

They stopped that by not including a printer cartridge or only including a starter one that dies after like 20 pages with the device.

I remember my epson fx-85 dot matrix printer from back in the day.  Now THAT was a workhorse.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I remember when... IT DOESN'T MATTER.

No developers are currently including ray tracing as a feature for any titles that are releasing now or for a while. If they do, it will probably run terrible because developers aren't even optimizing anymore. They just release as is. They're hoping the ree'rees go and purchase more hardware so they don't have to deal. By the time ray tracing is a thing, there will be another round of cards that will be actually better.

But by all means, continue to be low brows who identify with the wealthy and think spending dumb is what they do.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯