Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Citizencon Stream is Paywalled

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
edited August 2018 in Star Citizen
Yesterday CIG said that Around The Verse would be late because of a surprise they had for the backers.

The surprise was that to watch this year's Citizencon stream you would need to pay $20, you can also pay another $10 for a digital 'goodie' bag which gives you access to spending yet more money on exclusive items.

If you're a subscriber or if you have spent over $1000 you get to watch the stream for "free", if you've spent $900 then tough kitty. 

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon/faq

Needless to say the forums and subreddit are royally pissed off about this.

They also announced that people who have paid to visit the Citizencon event will also need to pay extra if they want to go to the accompanying Bar Citizen (another $20).

Subreddit discussion https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9bovd7/i_support_you_cig_but_i_will_not_be_buying_a/

#== UPDATE ==#

Chris has acquiesced to the wishes of his backers and walked all the way back from the original plan.

After sleeping on this, I am going to chalk this one up to experience.

We’re going to cut back on the live-streaming crew / costs but have both stages streamed for anyone with a Star Citizen user account.

Star Citizen Content Creators are welcome to rebroadcast our stream live.

If you would like to support the additional costs of streaming all the presentations, you can support the show by purchasing the CitizenCon digital goodies package (Imperators still get this as their October flair)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/citizencon-streaming

Post edited by rpmcmurphy on
pantaroEl-Hefekikoodutroa8PhaserlightOctagon7711NebilimAzaron_NightbladeFrodoFragins

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    So much greed.
    pantarosomeforumguySeelinnikoiGdemamiTheocritus[Deleted User]ScotOctagon7711NebilimXarko

..Cake..

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I don't think anyone should be surprised.
    pantaroMrMelGibsonKyleranPhaserlightTheocritusNebilim

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    And on the next day everything will most likely be free to watch on YouTube and Twitch. 

Have fun

rpmcmurphyEl-HefeFlyByKnightMrMelGibsonGdemamiKyleranXarko
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Lolz

I don't think it's greed at this point, just mockery. Devs already sitting on their fans shoulders, so now they just using a whip. It would be fun if there was atleast one good group of devs/publisher, but they all like that.

Gdemami
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited August 2018
    Ironically enough this was recently said by Chris Roberts

I hate when things are deliberately locked behind a paywall

What a fucking tool.

Even the ultra-apologist Montoya is not at all in favour of this,

GdemamiNebilim
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    edited August 2018
    They've drummed up so much money for this "game".  But, they can't even take one day to give back to supporters or potential customers.  Everything they do is about taking people's money.  
    pantarocheyaneqomabartoni33[Deleted User]Nebilim

I've got the straight edge.

What a fucking tool.

As always you forget to mention context.

He was talking about gameplay. And after launch the Persistent Universe to our current knowledge has no "things deliberately locked behind a paywall". 

Have fun

rpmcmurphyKyleranbartoni33
    El-Hefe said:
    They've drummed up so much money for this "game".  But, they can't even take one day to give back to supporters or potential customers.  Everything they do is about taking people's money.  
    You should look more on the official homepage.

They give constantly - almost every day. 

Have fun 
    Erillion said:

What a fucking tool.

He was talking about gameplay. And after launch the Persistent Universe to our current knowledge has no "things deliberately locked behind a paywall". 

Have fun

What about ships exclusive to backers?

edited August 2018
    Erillion said:
    El-Hefe said:

Have fun 
    The homepage is full of t-shirts and other advertisements.  What exactly do they give back to the community?

Oh

Have fun

Erillion said:

What a fucking tool.

Have fun

I like how you can't even make a comment without trying to have a dig at the poster, really shows your immaturity...

You're really stretching your defense here because the context of that actual comment is irrelevant. Besides, his comment was about content, one could easily argue that the CitizenCon event is content for the backers. People in the subreddit are claiming just that by saying CIG have been cutting the content of their ATV shows so that they can monetise it at CitizenCon.

KyleranNebilimNepheth
    Erillion said:

What a fucking tool.

Have fun

I like how you can't even make a comment without trying to have a dig at the poster, really shows your immaturity...

You're really stretching your defense here because the context of that actual comment is irrelevant. Besides, his comment was about content, one could easily argue that the CitizenCon event is content for the backers. People in the subreddit are claiming just that by saying CIG have been cutting the content of their ATV shows so that they can monetise it at CitizenCon.

--> There are enough ATV shows that you could watch them 24/7 for weeks. So much for "cutting content".

--> Have fun

El-HeferpmcmurphyKyleran
    El-Hefe said:
    Erillion said:
    El-Hefe said:

Have fun 
    The homepage is full of t-shirts and other advertisements.  What exactly do they give back to the community?

Oh

Have fun
    Jump Point magazine

Hundreds of video blogs

Thousands of articles and stories

Community events

FAQs 

Minigames

Contests

BarCitizen Meetings

Game fair booths

Studio visits

etc.

Have fun

rpmcmurphyKyleranWalkinGlennNepheth
    Erillion said:
    There are enough ATV shows that you could watch them 24/7 for weeks. So much for "cutting content".

For someone that talks about context you sure like to ignore it when it suits you...

Just because there are past videos that provide lots of content does not mean that they have not recently moved to producing considerably shorter ATV's aka cutting content....
    KyleranNebilimNepheth
    Erillion said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Erillion said:
    El-Hefe said:

Have fun 

Oh

Have fun
    Jump Point magazine

Hundreds of video blogs

Community events

FAQs 

Minigames

Contests

BarCitizen Meetings

Game fair booths

Studio visits

etc.

Have fun

Ok.  Cool.  Working down the list.

So,  jump point magazine 1st.  .....it cost 10$ a month to read it.  So,  you still think they aren't after my money?
    bartoni33Nepheth

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I don't know why you guys keep arguing with a person who clearly is a paid employee or walks around with their pants around their ankles for CIG.

Just enjoy the lemmings getting fleeced and stop trying to talk sense to the senseless.
    El-HefeKyleranWalkinGlennNebilim
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Nothing else on your list @Erillion really merits anything for me to look up.  But as you say

Have fun
    Erillion

I don't know why you guys keep arguing with a person who clearly is a paid employee or walks around with their pants around their ankles for CIG.

That's a good point.

Like any troll Erillion is just using the standard M.O of trying to deflect the conversation away from the actual topic and cause fighting amongst people. He's also trying to muddy to discourse by adding all sorts of irrelevant shit that has no bearing on the discussion.
    El-HefeErillionKyleranWalkinGlennMaxBaconNebilim
    edited August 2018
    El-Hefe said:
    Erillion said:

What a fucking tool.

Have fun

What ships ARE exclusive to backers and will not be available in game once the game has launched ? 

The Bengal carrier - which is not available for sale anyway (in game and out of game) ? Certain Vanduul ships (if some are captured) ... although there a retro-engineered human variants available for those. 

Or maybe you mean "Life time insurance". LTI is not a ship. In my opinion insurance is a trivial cost sink anyway. So that would be at best a trivial advantage. Speaking from experience in EVE and E:D - insurance money is spare change. 

And by the way - the backers ARE those that play this game at the moment :-) There are no others if there is no free fly weekend. 

Have fun

edited August 2018
    Erillion said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Erillion said:

What a fucking tool.

Have fun

What ships ARE exclusive to backers and will not be available in game once the game has launched ? 

The Bengal carrier - which is not available for sale anyway (in game and out of game) ? Certain Vanduul ships (if some are captured) ... although there a retro-engineered human variants available for those. 

Or maybe you mean "Life time insurance". LTI is not a ship. In my opinion insurance is a trivial cost sink anyway. So that would be at best a trivial advantage. Speaking from experience in EVE and E:D - insurance money is spare change. 

And by the way - the backers ARE those that play this game at the moment :-) There are no others if there is no free fly weekend. 

Have fun

So, you're saying there is incentive to be a backer before the game launches?

El-Hefe said:
    Erillion said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Erillion said:
    El-Hefe said:

Have fun 

Oh

Have fun
    Jump Point magazine

Hundreds of video blogs

Community events

FAQs 

Minigames

Contests

BarCitizen Meetings

Game fair booths

Studio visits

etc.

Have fun

So,  jump point magazine 1st.  .....it cost 10$ a month to read it.  So,  you still think they aren't after my money?
    Have you ever used Google ?

You find almost all Jump Point magazine PDFs for free if you look.

And many JP magazine articles find their way to the official homepage after a few weeks. 

Have fun

bcbullyXarko
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:
    And on the next day everything will most likely be free to watch on YouTube and Twitch. 

Have fun

Which really isn't the same thing.
    As usual, you're defending anything CIG does.... even things as scammy as this.
    Axllow18KefoMrMelGibsonKyleranNebilimXarko

..Cake..

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    What an amazing way to shoot your PR in the foot. Jesus Christ CIG has stepped in it hard this time. The SC subreddit is in open revolt right now.

I really can't believe anyone is actually trying to defend this.
    Nebilim
    Erillion said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Erillion said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Erillion said:
    El-Hefe said:

Have fun 

Oh

Have fun
    Jump Point magazine

Hundreds of video blogs

Community events

FAQs 

Minigames

Contests

BarCitizen Meetings

Game fair booths

Studio visits

etc.

Have fun

Have you ever used Google ?

You find almost all Jump Point magazine PDFs for free if you look.

And many JP magazine articles find their way to the official homepage after a few weeks. 

Have fun

I tend to use Google.  Just the things in your list (other than the 10 dollar magazine I've never heard of ) weren't worth googling.  Contests, for example.
    Nebilim

edited August 2018
    Erillion said:
    There are enough ATV shows that you could watch them 24/7 for weeks. So much for "cutting content".

For someone that talks about context you sure like to ignore it when it suits you...

Just because there are past videos that provide lots of content does not mean that they have not recently moved to producing considerably shorter ATV's aka cutting content....
    ATV shows have always varied in length and have undergone many changes over time.

Constructing a conspiracy theory out of these changes has  been a favorite pastime of certain people ever since Eric "Wingman" Peterson hosted the very first iteration of that show.

Have fun
    rpmcmurphyKyleran