Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2's New Continent: Oshur

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2018 in Videos Discussion

imagePlanetSide 2's New Continent: Oshur

During a special live stream event earlier today, the PlanetSide 2 team took to the airwaves to reveal a brand new continent coming to the game called Oshur. Players will find "multiple islands and a variety of biomes". It will require teamwork and strategy to conquer. "The land will best be traversed by aircraft".

Read the full story here

Comments

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Nice to see them putting time into this game. Theres nothing quite like it.
    bcbullyHatefullThaharxniax3

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I just remember how crazy hacked this game was, did they ever do anything to fix that?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

DrunkWolf said:

I just remember how crazy hacked this game was, did they ever do anything to fix that?

People always cry hack in shooters. I remember at my best dropping them in 10s and 20s. Infiltrate behind lines, and one shit one kill.

Beautiful game no matter how you sliced it or “they” hacked it.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Rhoklaw said:

bcbully said:

DrunkWolf said:

People always cry hack in shooters. I remember at my best dropping them in 10s and 20s. Infiltrate behind lines, and one shit one kill.

Actually, FPS games are notorious for hackers and to say they aren't sounds like something a hacker would say.
    Sadly, as much as i do enjoy playing Planetside 2 from time to time hackers are a problem, fortunately there don't seem to be as many these days :)
    ScotThahar
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

DrunkWolf said:

This is turning into HACK GATE 2018. I have been playing PS2 since Tech test, that is several years now, and I can count on one hand the number of actual hackers I have seen.

Are there hackers? Hell yes there are, this is a Shooter. Are they as rampant as people would want you to believe? No, no they are not, not by a long shot. I have several thousand hours in this game, and know what? I can still be killed by a day 1 new player. One shot even. My advice is to get over yourself, you aren't as good as you think you are, it is not, and never has been a hacker problem, it's a skill and some times just bad luck problem.

Rhoklaw said:

bcbully said:

DrunkWolf said:

Actually, FPS games are notorious for hackers and to say they aren't sounds like something a hacker would say.

yes, FPS games are notorious for this behavior. And while the Shooter genre is full of hackers, it is not nearly as much as people are want to believe. 9 out of ten times, it is lack of skill or familiarity with the game that causes people to lose fights, but a lot of people want to scream hack to assuage their bruised ego. Very rarely is it an actual hacker. There are definitely hackers in all shooters, just not as rampant as advertised. At least in games that have actual teams supporting them.

There are shooter out there that are nothing but hack fests, PS2, OW, and COD, aren't them.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I was somewhat curious about Planetside. I'm not much into FPS and PvP, but I like the idea of a three-way battle and a world where things actually change, not just the exact same missions and such. Also don't they have an Engineer class or something like that? But I'd heard the population was low. They wouldn't be adding continents if that was true, right?

I've seen and experienced some things that were hard to believe were not some kind of hacking going on in Overwatch, but there are all sorts of other possible explanations -- maybe the other guy was really just that good, maybe they got very lucky, maybe they found or learned of a glitch that could be exploited, or maybe even just used a feature I wasn't aware of. It can be comforting to chalk up an embarrassing loss to someone blatantly cheating, maybe even fun to taunt or kid them with a cry of "Hackorz!" but in games like that you need to relax and learn to enjoy "getting blowed up" now and then.
    Hatefull
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    edited September 2018

I was somewhat curious about Planetside. I'm not much into FPS and PvP, but I like the idea of a three-way battle and a world where things actually change, not just the exact same missions and such. Also don't they have an Engineer class or something like that? But I'd heard the population was low. They wouldn't be adding continents if that was true, right?

I've seen and experienced some things that were hard to believe were not some kind of hacking going on in Overwatch, but there are all sorts of other possible explanations -- maybe the other guy was really just that good, maybe they got very lucky, maybe they found or learned of a glitch that could be exploited, or maybe even just used a feature I wasn't aware of. It can be comforting to chalk up an embarrassing loss to someone blatantly cheating, maybe even fun to taunt or kid them with a cry of "Hackorz!" but in games like that you need to relax and learn to enjoy "getting blowed up" now and then.

The game has no population issues. They are even adding an Asia server very soon because one of the NA servers is too packed.

It is first and foremost a shooter game and killing other players is the point. But this is the good thing about PS2 and what keeps it relevant in the 2018 shooter scene despite being over 5 years old; It allows you to do the killing in a large number of different way, including indirectly, by playing support roles such as Engineer, Medic, vehicle support, or if you have the patience for it, base construction support (PC-only, construction isn't available on the PS4).

Yes there is a learning curve, which game does not? But the main thing to know is, aim and the enemy and left click, and try not to overburden yourself by trying to be everything by yourself, just pick a gameplay niche and focus on it!

And lastly the whole cheating topic is overblown. You're not actually likely to run into cheaters. You could run into good old latency issues though, and you will regularly die a moment after ducking for cover, because on your opponent's screen you were still in the process of ducking for cover... This delay is the price you pay for a 333v333v333 continent population.
    HatefullDavodtheTutt
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I just hope it's not the same people who made Hossin. God Hossin sucks.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• FattoiletFattoilet Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Limnic
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Awesome, they now have four out of the ten continents that Planetside 1 had at release, and it only took them seven years to do it!

Fast work team!

Oh, a quick question, which version of Oshur are they putting in PS2?  In PS1, Oshur started off like any regular continent, but later in the game it was broken up into "battle islands" and had restricted vehicles and armor usage.
    Nilden