Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you thinking, "OMG, what have I done?" Or still confident?

1235»

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    lahnmir said:
    Kyleran said:
    TEKK3N said:
    I am critic of their development process, they want to do everything at once, that's why the game seems like a mess.

But in their defence, I have to say that most people don't get what SC actually is.
    SC is a space simulator, it's not an arcade, so when people say that it is too difficult to learn how control a ship it's because it's intended.
    If you ever played a flight simulator most of your time will be spent learning the controls, SC is the same, but in space.

I have a starting pack and last time I tried the game was more than a year ago but even then it had a decent tutorial and I learned to drive the ship in just over an hour, so I don't understand the complaints.
    I think their biggest issue (OK.. maybe not THE biggest but it's up there) is that they decided to develop 2 games at the same time.  A start-up studio producing 1 game is a hard task. 2 at the same time is just being over-confident to a silly degree.  

The should have focused on building Squadron 42. Proved they can release a decent game.  Then turned the focus to Star Citizen.  Yes, I know the whole story about developing both to save time/money etc... but after looking at the time passed, and money spent... I think it's safe to say it was a mistake.

I mean... seeing this video back in 2015 was a great sign of hope: https://youtu.be/3vRE6LtYBHg
    Now it's almost 3 years later.  In that time, they have released 2 entire Star Wars Trilogy movies (although I certainly wish they hadn't released the last one) as well as 2 non-core ones.

Think about this:  There is a legitimate chance that Star Wars Episode 9 releases before Star Citizen or even Squadron 42.

Let that sink in for a few minutes.

An entire Star Wars trilogy could possibly be seen on screen (7, 8 and 9)... in less time than it is taking to make Squadron 42 (and Star Citizen).

Cmon Slap, entire skyscrapers are built in less time than it is taking to build these two games.

In fact, in what will be the world's tallest building, the Jeddah Tower started construction in 2013, and is projected for completion in 2020.

Think about that....also, at a projected cost of $1.4B for its MMP, seems like SC may end up costing about 20% of it.

Of course, creating the world's tallest structure is much less complicated than what Roberts Industries is trying to build.  (LULZ...OK)

I should have bought a kickstarter package for this project I think.

;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeddah_Tower
    Ohh please! I made two children since SC had a Kickstarter, now THAT is hard work and an achievement. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Be careful not to spend their savings on imaginary space ships.
    Scorchien

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Babuinix said:
    I've never understood the "best since sliced bread" thing. Anyone who likes food knows that bread is better kept fresh as a whole not slices lol

So much for "realism" , must be a 90 days top thing :D
    It's just an expression.
    But I can see why you wouldn't understand it.

..Cake..

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited August 2018
    Only 2 children since 2012? Pffft

Everyone knows that Baby's take 9/10 months top to make  :D

Scam dad!  B)
    PhaserlightConstantineMerus
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'm indifferent

Spent $60 way back when. If I could do it over, I wouldn't do it again. It's got nothing to do with the game development taking too long and everything to do with the business model thats evolving.

When/if it's ever done, I think I'll just play through Squadron 42 and leave SC behind. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Erillion said:
    frostymug said:
    Erillion said:
    • Introduced into the Hall of Fame:Computer Gaming World April 1992 (Issue #93)
    • Introduced into the Hall of Fame: Computer Gaming World (1994, Issue #124)
    • Introduced into the Hall of Fame May 1997 (Issue #154)
    Have fun
    Has both jack AND shit to do with your claim that Chris Roberts is a Hall of Fame developer. 

Games he worked on have been inducted into the CGW Hall of Fame. 

There are specific developers who have also been inducted into the CGW Hall of Fame, as well as multiple other Halls of Fame for the computer gaming, video gaming, and entertainment industries. Sid Meier is one. Chris Roberts is not one of those developers however; unless he, you, and everyone else, is keeping it a big secret. Which would be way out of character, but roleplaying, yo!

I will assume you cannot source your claim so we're going to wiggle the target around for a while now

Here's a non-reddit post source for your other, irrelevant blip:
    http://goldenageofgames.com/the-computer-gaming-world-hall-of-fame/

Some amazing games on there. 
    What you and I consider "Hall of Fame" may be different. You got your source links. You may like them .... or not. 

Have fun

Those weren't links. They also weren't showing him as a Hall of Fame developer. Just games he worked on.

Hall of Fame memberships aren't arbitrary. More than a dozen Pete Rose items are in the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Pete Rose isn't. We can debate whether he should be or not, but saying that he is a hall of famer is patently false. We can list the spikes, jerseys, scorecards, etc etc that are in there, or any other specious or disingenuous argument we want, but it still doesn't make him a hall of famer.

Likewise, here.

So, in your personal Hall of Fame, do you make the busts from Bronze or some other material? Should we not say bust in case it makes the dogs start drooling?
    Arglebargle
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    For a "Hall of Fame",  achievements are important. In this case it is Video games. 

Three times Hall of Fame.

Other developers would be proud to get even ONE of their games into the Hall of Fame. 

"Games he worked on" ... Chris Roberts IS "Mister Wing Commander". The Wing Commander games are not just "games he worked on". He helped to shape a whole genre. 

Have fun

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Yeah they meant so much he left (was let go) from the company that actually delivered those games to start his first major failure at trying to run his own studio. And he wasnt seen or heard from again until this latest charade.

It really is mind boggling how its all transpired. Thats why its hard to think everything said about this project is actually true. But whatever the 'truth' is what people can see and experience and that as the OP plainly shows, as do the streams that its isnt anything special at all no matter how much money they have (allegedly) put into it.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Seems very special to me and many other gamers...

Seems you're stuck in the

mode for eternity lol

Good luck with that :D
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited August 2018
    I’ve decided that it really is the fanatics that make me root against games I might even like. I’m as big a WingCommander fan as you’ll find but man, some people make it really hard.

The only thing that keeps me in is that I honestly beve that some of these cartoonish fanatics are Goons playing with us.

So no... I’m not confident I’ll get a real good Squadron 42 game, but I’m still hoping. 
    Babuinixceratop001ConstantineMerussgel

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    I spent 35$ back when they offered a deal to play Star Marine and the other modules and got a good few hours of entertainment out of it so truth be told even if it bombs and never releases it's no skin off my back.

I'm still fairly certain it will release though and it'll probably be decent, nowhere near what they claimed it would be mind you but decent.

Now the guys who spent thousands on an idea; if I was one of them I'd be singing a different tune.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Erillion said:
    For a "Hall of Fame",  achievements are important. In this case it is Video games. 

Other developers would be proud to get even ONE of their games into the Hall of Fame. 

"Games he worked on" ... Chris Roberts IS "Mister Wing Commander". The Wing Commander games are not just "games he worked on". He helped to shape a whole genre. 

Have fun

Is this the new fall-back position?   

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Plonky said:
    As of today I dropped 10k+ in funding SC,  and I will add more as the game is made.

why? some would said...

well... just because my feeling is that I'm not only funding a game, CR build a company and now create 400+ jobs over the world, so not only my money fund the game, but I'm also a bit proud my money provide jobs to peoples from different countries.

What? Your money is not providing them jobs. You are talking about skilled people in a field that gets them a job easily even if this game fails. Those people or that company are not a charity lol.

That 10k can help fund a school somewhere to get some education for kids that are born in a country with next to no future.I mean if you really want to 'help'. Or to build some wells and water purification systems or something.

Just admit it, you just wanted your shineys.
    Gobstopper3D
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I’ve decided that it really is the fanatics that make me root against games I might even like. I’m as big a WingCommander fan as you’ll find but man, some people make it really hard.

The only thing that keeps me in is that I honestly beve that some of these cartoonish fanatics are Goons playing with us.

So no... I’m not confident I’ll get a real good Squadron 42 game, but I’m still hoping. 
    Hooliganism finds a way. I haven't read much into it but it is probably hard-coded into our DNA. We tend to go for putting our faith into things and are willing to go to war and even die to prove we were right. 

It is impossible to remain unbiased about everything while keeping an open eye. Because then not having a faith becomes your faith and you will defend that with passion. 
    Phaserlight
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Erillion said:

Have fun

As this was always my initial position, there is no fall-back. So your answer is: No

Have fun
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

As this was always my initial position, there is no fall-back. So your answer is: No

Have fun
    Funny, you guys used to claim he was a 'hall of fame designer!'   Now he's a guy who has some games in the hall of fame of a magazine.   You can pretend your position is the same, but it's not.

We both know Roberts did some seminal work in 3D and with cinematics.    Well, thirty or so years ago anyway.  We also know that those were released only when Roberts had Robert Garriott controlling the purse strings.  And since then.  Nada.  

Folks considering sending CIG money should seriously consider the risk involved (well for the higher denominations, anyway).   Do a little research before you decide.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

>>>
     You can pretend your position is the same, but it's not.
    >>>

That is your interpretation. Which i disagree with.

Have fun

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Erillion said:
    >>>
     You can pretend your position is the same, but it's not.
    >>>

That is your interpretation. Which i disagree with.

Have fun

"Alternative facts"