Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think the WoW type players can slow down in PUGs?

Speed run players are rapid because of design of modern mmorpg's 
Because of design it MAY NOT BE THE PLAYERS. 

Some will say "I don't want any dumb WoW players in my guild" (exaggerating).  This is a stereotype impression many old schoolers have.  

Remember the saying "if they can they will".  

Something else to consider..... Why are they speed running ? 
2 reasons: 
-to move things along 
-to show their more intelligent than the game.  Sure it's an odd way of proving intelligence, but it's what people do.

Another stereotype is WoW players will not like Pantheon... Why? 
Infact millions are hard core raiders that are dead nuts serious and easy content is only a road block on their way to end game..... They infact want the hard content. 

I'm not saying all hardcore WoW players will jump ship, MOST are infatuated with the game itself.  But it does prove MILLIONS like a thinking games !...… I'm sure the BattleNet WoW forums are full of furious fans over the simplicity, yet they keep on playing.  

It's possible hardcore raiders are sick of WoW, but no other outlets, no other choices.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    DMKano said:
    Many WoW core players have no interest in any other MMOROG period 

Hardcore raiders in WoW make up for a tiny minority of WoWs total playerbase.

There aren't millions of hardcore raiders in WoW - this is where you are mistaken.

There are millions of casual WoW players who have zero interest in anything that isn't WoW.

Pantheon doesnt even register to an average WoW player as they have never heard of it - because it's not WoW
    Much of this is true. MY point is many like hard content. 

World of Warcraft is my "example".
  • Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I like challenging/harder content in mmo's but Pantheon doesn't look "Hardcore" to me so far, it looks tedious and boring.

I don't think it will be a drain on any current mmo's playerbase.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Appealing to the masses does not prevent one from appealing to the sliver of players that seek truly demanding content, at least in the case of WoW due to a luxury of resources and even a splinter of their player base being a substantial number.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    If all content in a MMORPG was set to a punishing,  hard mode, raid like difficulty I believe very few would be drawn to it.

Many people play games to have fun, be entertained and feel like winners more often than not.

I suspect both Pantheon and SOL will suffer some in this regard.

[Deleted User]Rich84k61977Rnjypsyimmodium

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Players learn what you teach them. You can't really say "It's the design" or "It's the players". A player is simply a collection of designs they are taught over time.

In WoW, the main goal is getting better equipment. Yes, some people play it for the story, some play it for the world, some for the friendships. But the core idea is getting better equipment. That is what is implied and reinforced through the whole game.

If getting better gear is the goal, then players will optimise this. You can optimise this in two ways: learn to do content that rewards better gear (Mythic dungeons / raids in WoW) or learn how to do the content faster (speedrun through dungeons, getting more gear per hour).

I know nothing about Pantheon, but if you want to change the formula, you are facing a challenge. The large majority of your player base will be coming from another game. It's very unlikely that the players will be new to the genre completely. Your players will be coming with expectations. Your game design will have to re-educate the player, while keeping them around. This is incredibly difficult and frankly, if you are hoping to attract and retain huge numbers right on release, perhaps impossible. It's more realistic to build up a community gradually if you want to be innovative.

I had a similar issue with my game. It was an open ended design, where the player had a lot of choice. Turns out, most games these days are heavily guided, meaning they tell the player what to do and where to go. Even though my play area had 5 dungeons, players thought this content wasn't relevant, because there wasn't any strong pointer (besides dialogues with NPCs) that would tell them to complete the content. It took a lot of experimenting in me learning how to teach players to do content without being directly sent to it.

So I think you can have content that players go through slowly, but as a developer, you have to be committed to explaining this fully. Wildstar had high dungeon difficulty, but the design didn't explain to players they should try and fail multiple times. You had people coming from WoW, used to racing through content, who suddenly couldn't blaze through the "simplest" of dungeons. As a result, the conclusion was that the dungeons are poorly made and the players left.
    ConstantineMerusMendelScott23
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    DMKano said:
    Appealing to the masses does not prevent one from appealing to the sliver of players that seek truly demanding content, at least in the case of WoW due to a luxury of resources and even a splinter of their player base being a substantial number.

I think the real reason why this content is there - its a carrot on a stick that gives the illusion of something desirable to be attained. 

This keeps players - even casual ones who dont raid - gives them this feeling that there is always something better to achieve if they just keep playing. If all players were easily able to achieve the best gear, the population would plummet. Having these carrots on a stick and dangling them in front of the players - keeps em buying expansion after expansion.

It's the psychology of having bigger and better carrot that keeps masses playing.

As far as the tiny sliver who want truly challenging content - I think there's a lot less of them than we think.

I agree, but all content should be hard at first and by getting levels and gear you lower the bar until it becomes easy enough for you. This gives a player the feeling of success and creates the path of progress. As far as i know Pantheon is all about this.

In WoW, however, the bar is initially set so low you don't even have to play the game to succeed. There's no feeling of accomplishment - you just go through it until something stops you and the game really starts, and this doesn't really happen until those top raids. And even then, i keep hearing, the raids are not gear checks at all but all about dodging bullets and knowing the boss dance like in old FPS games. So in no point the game is about gearing up and building your character, which to me is #1 reason to play this genre.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    People speed run because they are not there to enjoy the content, but only to get the reward as quickly as possible.

Maybe the speeders enjoyed that content 50 runs ago, but now they just want to get it over with.

The design mechanic which encourages this is to make it beneficial somehow to do the same thing again and again and again
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm sure I am the type of player the original poster doesnt not like.  I don't want "hard content".   Ideally I want to jump in a game and maybe invest an hour or so and feel I've accomplished a lot.  I remember early days in LOTRO doing raids that would take hours and wondering if I was going to stay with LOTRO.   Fortunately, they broke those raids up into mini raids and take less than an hour mostly.

Although I'm not a WoW player, I doubt I will play Pantheon.  I've seen videos and everything just looks so tedious.  Find a group.  How long will this take?  On launch, sure, grouping will be easy but months later it will be harder finding groups for earlier content.  Always works this way in these type of games.  Seems like it takes half an hour to make your way up a hill.  NO thanks.  I don;t care to spend that long climbing a hill.  Ultimately, I want to be able to jump in to a game and not rely on forming a group of players I need to coordinate with for my fun.  In my view GW2 is brilliant on this area.  You are next to someone and therefore you are in a group.  Simple.  

Perhaps there are enough "old time"  players for this tedious type of play but count me out.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    flizzer said:
    I'm sure I am the type of player the original poster doesnt not like.  I don't want "hard content".   Ideally I want to jump in a game and maybe invest an hour or so and feel I've accomplished a lot.  I remember early days in LOTRO doing raids that would take hours and wondering if I was going to stay with LOTRO.   Fortunately, they broke those raids up into mini raids and take less than an hour mostly.

Although I'm not a WoW player, I doubt I will play Pantheon.  I've seen videos and everything just looks so tedious.  Find a group.  How long will this take?  On launch, sure, grouping will be easy but months later it will be harder finding groups for earlier content.  Always works this way in these type of games.  Seems like it takes half an hour to make your way up a hill.  NO thanks.  I don;t care to spend that long climbing a hill.  Ultimately, I want to be able to jump in to a game and not rely on forming a group of players I need to coordinate with for my fun.  In my view GW2 is brilliant on this area.  You are next to someone and therefore you are in a group.  Simple.  

Perhaps there are enough "old time"  players for this tedious type of play but count me out.

I completely understand how you feel. For example, I hate having to fight monsters. I mean, why fight? It's so passé. Swing a sword. Swing it again. Booooooooring. Since I am the hero, the monsters should come to me, kneel, and present their tributes. No need for a group, unless it's for them to carry my spoils back to my bank for me. 
    Kayo83

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    flizzer said:

I completely understand how you feel. For example, I hate having to fight monsters. I mean, why fight? It's so passé. Swing a sword. Swing it again. Booooooooring. Since I am the hero, the monsters should come to me, kneel, and present their tributes. No need for a group, unless it's for them to carry my spoils back to my bank for me. 
    Sorry, I don't like to play the way you do :(
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      Take away there Redbull
  • RnjypsyRnjypsy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Amathe said:
    flizzer said:

The player explained how he enjoys to play and why...he was not rude or derisive...your snark was unnecessary and reflects badly on the type of player we can look forward to in Pantheon:(
    Mendel
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
      Take away there Redbull

Mountain Dew is the #1 choice of most gamers, its cheaper, its loaded with sugar and caffeine. 

It's also awful for your health.

lol right, ill stick to the water:)
    I like my green tea :)
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Rich84 said:
    I like challenging/harder content in mmo's but Pantheon doesn't look "Hardcore" to me so far, it looks tedious and boring.

I don't think it will be a drain on any current mmo's playerbase.
    When I watched one of the vids the guy that was playing the rogue character seemed bored to death...Hed join the fights about halfway thru and didnt even pay attention.
    Rich84
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Its 2018 and we're still talking about WoW.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    DMKano said:

There aren't millions of hardcore raiders in WoW - this is where you are mistaken.

There are millions of casual WoW players who have zero interest in anything that isn't WoW.

Pantheon doesnt even register to an average WoW player as they have never heard of it - because it's not WoW

Gonna say NO on this one.

Most players do not like Hard Content, not even "many" in fact, almost without fail less then 10% of a games population will even bother with their "Hard Content"

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ungood said:
    DMKano said:

Most players do not like Hard Content, not even "many" in fact, almost without fail less then 10% of a games population will even bother with their "Hard Content"

The prevalence of PvP-focused games indicates those that like challenge tend to find other human beings the right kind of "challenge" for them, a position I agree with.  I dislike artificially increased difficulty via things like bullet sponging and enemy damage amplification.
    immodium

Also.. 

Speed Runs.

People do Speed Runs, because they have done this content hundreds of times before, and will need to do this content hundreds of times more to get what they want, they are bored sick of this content, but still want the loot that it drops, they have gotten to the point they just speed run through it.

This has nothing to do with challenge, skill, or anything else, this is all about loot, and how fast can they can get it. Speed Runs are not about proving anything, they are the result of a game system that requires grinding.

The more anyone needs to repeat the content, the easier it is for them to memorize, the faster they will want each time to go, as they have stopped personally learning anything from the content, it's just repetition at this point for them.

So they want to get it over with as fast as possible.

This is not a problem by any means, the only time this becomes an issue at all, is if a first time player is running with people who have gotten to the point they have memorized the encounter and just want a completion and loot at this point, so one is trying to learn while the other is just grinding.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
      Take away there Redbull

Mountain Dew is the #1 choice of most gamers, its cheaper, its loaded with sugar and caffeine. 

It's also awful for your health.

lol right, ill stick to the water:)
    You sir, are clearly not a "true gamer," away with you.

;)

(Coke Zero is my caffeinated drink of choice)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kosaboykosaboy Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Ungood said:
    Also.. 

Speed Runs.

People do Speed Runs, because they have done this content hundreds of times before, and will need to do this content hundreds of times more to get what they want, they are bored sick of this content, but still want the loot that it drops, they have gotten to the point they just speed run through it.

This has nothing to do with challenge, skill, or anything else, this is all about loot, and how fast can they can get it. Speed Runs are not about proving anything, they are the result of a game system that requires grinding.

The more anyone needs to repeat the content, the easier it is for them to memorize, the faster they will want each time to go, as they have stopped personally learning anything from the content, it's just repetition at this point for them.

So they want to get it over with as fast as possible.

This is not a problem by any means, the only time this becomes an issue at all, is if a first time player is running with people who have gotten to the point they have memorized the encounter and just want a completion and loot at this point, so one is trying to learn while the other is just grinding.

i think this is the fact of it. Any game i have played where you have to run dungeons over and over it turns into a speed run.
    Ungoodjimmywolf
    edited August 2018
    Thinking about this I again realized the OP wasn't part of the first gen games, so doesn't realize they weren't necessarily "slow," at least not when it came to the actual fights.

I speak from a DAOC perspective mostly, where there was some downtime between fights to heal up and restore mana but when in group combat the pace was fast and furious.

Pulling a camp or dungeon could be a ballet of activity, usually started by either the puller or crowd controllers. 

Then it became a race the clock ballet to finish each target before CC was lost, and if lost, for secondary tanks and CC to stop or slow down any break aways.

All through this primary and secondary healers carefully healed just enough to not let anyone die, but not too much as to draw aggro.

These fights became lessons in efficiency, with top groups able to pull for considerable lengths of time,  racking up tons of kills before having to finally sit down and rest.

Of course, if anyone slipped up, or unexpected adds showed up decisions had to be made, stick it out, try to recover, or bail and try to get a rezzer safely away or logged out while the rest of the team tried to "die" in a relatively safe spot free of respawns. 

Groups didn't move around as much as on modern games, but they were not always at one specific camp, rather moving about between a rotation of sites as each respawned and to maximize camp bonuses when available.

If players get in a good, efficient group I think they'll find more than enough action in Pantheon.

Unless of course they roll DPS, those mostly useless folks aren't much good for anything and always have be told to stop hitting stuff or they'll draw aggro and the healers will let them die.

Those types of former WOW players might not enjoy this sort of game too much.

;)

AmatheLackingMMO[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusjimmywolf

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:
    Thinking about this I again realized the OP wasn't part of the first gen games, so doesn't realize they weren't necessarily "slow," at least not when it came to the actual fights.

I speak from a DAOC perspective mostly, where there was some downtime between fights to heal up and restore mana but when in group combat the pace was fast and furious.

Pulling a camp or dungeon could be a ballet of activity, usually started by either the puller or crowd controllers. 

Then it became a race the clock ballet to finish each target before CC was lost, and if lost, for secondary tanks and CC to stop or slow down any break aways.

All through this primary and secondary healers carefully healed just enough to not let anyone die, but not too much as to draw aggro.

These fights became lessons in efficiency, with top groups able to pull for considerable lengths of time,  racking up tons of kills before having to finally sit down and rest.

Of course, if anyone slipped up, or unexpected adds showed up decisions had to be made, stick it out, try to recover, or bail and try to get a rezzer safely away or logged out while the rest of the team tried to "die" in a relatively safe spot free of respawns. 

Groups didn't move around as much as on modern games, but they were not always at one specific camp, rather moving about between a rotation of sites as each respawned and to maximize camp bonuses when available.

If players get in a good, efficient group I think they'll find more than enough action in Pantheon.

Unless of course they roll DPS, those mostly useless folks aren't much good for anything and always have be told to stop hitting stuff or they'll draw aggro and the healers will let them die.

Those types of former WOW players might not enjoy this sort of game too much.

;)

Styles helped.  Chain styles and specific openings kept melees paying close attention to their combat action and constantly choosing styles to use between swings.  I really liked the melee combat style DAoC used.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Mendel

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    edited August 2018
    I generally don't look at MMOs in terms of how hard or easy their content is.  I tend to view them in terms of how immersive or non-immersive they are; and difficulty is a byproduct of that.

One of the things that sticks in my mind about my early days of playing EQ is how challenging the battles were when I was soloing at low level.  I remember going toe to toe with mobs and having many of the fights come down to me being a hit or two away from falling.  It was a rush.

As MMOs evolved (and became less immersive, in my view) the mobs became less of a foe to defeat and more of an obstacle to get past.  You just ran up to them, chopped them down in about three swings and then moved on to the next obstacle.  Easier for sure, but more importantly, less immersive.

What was this topic about?  Oh WoW?  Well I can't really speak to that as I hardly played it.  But if Pantheon plays like EQ and WoW players don't like EQ, I can't really see them being drawn to Pantheon.
    KyleranjimmywolfHawkaya399

Ungood said:
    DMKano said:

The prevalence of PvP-focused games indicates those that like challenge tend to find other human beings the right kind of "challenge" for them, a position I agree with.  I dislike artificially increased difficulty via things like bullet sponging and enemy damage amplification.
    Actually, while MOBA's are huge right now, most MMO's seem to be neglecting their PvP development.

I mean to be fair, there is not much outside minor balance issues that need to be done for PvP, but I think a lot of games put it in, because it is that easy, they pretty much set it up and forget about it, and sadly, it really comes across that they are forgetting about it.