Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something I noticed in the Saga of Lucimia video (first page of this section)

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
Darkness. Mist. Spooky green light. This sort of thing really adds to the suspense factor in an mmo. I remember the Faydarks in Original Everquest (see below). Love this sort of thing!

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Kyleran

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Here's one from Saga of Lucimia for comparison:

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

And:

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Kinda nice, but what I'm really curious is how well can a player see immediately in front of them at full night. 

Been a while since a MMO had a proper "night" or dark dungeon to journey into.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Looks nice , SoL is a game a really anticipating , just waiting for Renfail and co. to allow us to test more than 1 weekend every few weeks .. .. cmon Ren .. ;)
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    The darkness in WarZ used to be really good, until players realized they could increase the gamma and it made it obsolete.

Idk how the gamma thing works, but hopefully, the darkness in SoL is immune to gamma.  
    --------------------------------------------
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    edited August 2018
    Those screens are quite old, even; we've done a lot more updating the lighting/fog/etc. 

Darkness is REALLY dark in our game. You MUST have torches and/or other light sources (eventually magical). We're still working on adding lanterns instead of just torches. And eventually we hope to have mechanics where "your toon can't hit what he can't see". (i.e. Gamma doesn't matter as it's based on your character, not you, the player).

You can get a glimpse in the recent Release 10 video, but if you want to see full darkness in action you can check out the past few roleplay session videos of us playing 2-hourish sessions where you see a night/day cycle happening. 

KyleranAmatheWellspring
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Thanks for confirming...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Kinda nice, but what I'm really curious is how well can a player see immediately in front of them at full night. 

Been a while since a MMO had a proper "night" or dark dungeon to journey into.

You can't. Not unless you have light from the moon. But if you are under the cover of forest, it's near pitch, and if you are in a dungeon, it's absolute pitch. Check out recent videos on YouTube to see this in action. 
    AmatheKyleran
    Scorchien said:
    Looks nice , SoL is a game a really anticipating , just waiting for Renfail and co. to allow us to test more than 1 weekend every few weeks .. .. cmon Ren .. ;)
    Soon (tm). 

Schedules for alpha/beta/launch are being ironed out at this year's annual team meeting happening here in about 2 weeks (September 10th - 17th). 
    Amathe
    It would be cool if monsters got a "to hit" bonus when attacking you from shadow. And also if they would attempt to back up and retreat to shadow when faced with flame or other light source. Then your torch would be a big difference maker, and somewhat more realistic in effect. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Theres no moon? Or are we talking in a cave darkness?