Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkest dungeon ..overview...

urriel1970urriel1970 Member UncommonPosts: 120

Have recently purchased darkest dungeon....and for the most part it's a pretty solid game...the graphics..combat system..loot..and so forth are really well done....the atmosphere is very interesting..but as you crawl your way through the ruin or other dungeon's .       There comes a point where the combat can lack...with the mob having heavy advantage...while your characters argue amongst themselves..the mobs are critting you left and right....with constant auto switch or passing can make the game frustrating at time's...each round can see less and less action from your characters and more attack's from the mob's your fighting...!

Along with other issues..the cost for provisions is high compared to the length of use..such as torches..they burn way to quick...food is of little or no use..and not being able to heal after a battle can shorten a dungeon trip...all though one item i found was when a character does die the trinket you attach to that character goes back into your inventory..and is not lost.

When you return to town and attempt tp heal and de-stress your characters the cost for what seems not to work is a bit high..even though with the proper item's you can lower the cost by a certain percentage...yet even after a over night stay..nothing seems to be done...a waste of gold...!

Also when going through a dungeon and text pop's up...it stop's you dead in your track's unable to move...not to good of an idea...but it is what it is....the overall feel of the game for a mere 20.00 dollars..isnt bad..but would like to see a few changes made....but since it is just released we will wait and see what will be changed....but for now..the crawling continues..!

Comments

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

I agree with most of the critics I've heard. It's just way too much RNG. Usually you fail because they crit while you miss and you have very little control over 90% of your deaths.

They should've made the normal mode hard mode and created an easy mode for people that don't want to impress streamers and just have fun. I'm perfectly fine with realistic emotional heroes. I'm not alright with having 50 throwaway heroes that get replaced every other dungeon with the same exact hero with a different name.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Darkest Dungeon is an illuminated playground of rainbows and puppies compared to the blackened abyss it creates of your soul within only a few hours of braving its depths.

There are adventurers that you will call your own, seeking to protect them as they venture forth to help you reclaim your once illustrious estate. To keep them out of the reaper’s reach, you will do many things you never knew you were capable of. Many… many things.

You will hire on unwitting laborers to travel the wealds and warrens before them, reaping gold and heirlooms to pave your coveted heroes’ paths to victory. Their flesh torn asunder, their minds cicatrized with the scars of the horrors that befall them… it quickly becomes of no concern or consequence to you. They are but pawns that prance to their deaths in your miserable play, gaining only moments of respite when they lug the spoils to the hamlet for you. But back to perform they go, dancing upon a stage that might as well be dressed in broken glass, screeching their lines as the foul stench of death and despair lacerates their throats and lungs. Their minds and bodies used up, you abandon them in a field to die alone so that you may make room in your stables for fresh meat to serve you.

Yet you will feel no remorse. The hours have passed and you have long since relegated each adventurer to their place in your hierarchy of horrific acts. Occasionally, a peon will stand out among the rest, and you will look favorably on their soul. They will advance to the upper echelons of your minions. They will then become the recipients of the wealth generated by maddened minds delving deep into places no mortal should ever tread.

Of all the horrors that have befouled the estate….
    Of all the evils that have clawed upward from its bowels or set putrid foot upon its soil…

There has never been any presence more evil, sinister or barbaric…

…than what YOU are about to become.

I frikken love this game. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Loktofeit's is closer...  Adventurers are there to fight in the pitch black against huge odds for your enrichment. 
  • asmadeousasmadeous Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by urriel1970

Have recently purchased darkest dungeon....and for the most part it's a pretty solid game...the graphics..combat system..loot..and so forth are really well done....the atmosphere is very interesting..but as you crawl your way through the ruin or other dungeon's .       There comes a point where the combat can lack...with the mob having heavy advantage...while your characters argue amongst themselves..the mobs are critting you left and right....with constant auto switch or passing can make the game frustrating at time's...each round can see less and less action from your characters and more attack's from the mob's your fighting...!

Along with other issues..the cost for provisions is high compared to the length of use..such as torches..they burn way to quick...food is of little or no use..and not being able to heal after a battle can shorten a dungeon trip...all though one item i found was when a character does die the trinket you attach to that character goes back into your inventory..and is not lost.

When you return to town and attempt tp heal and de-stress your characters the cost for what seems not to work is a bit high..even though with the proper item's you can lower the cost by a certain percentage...yet even after a over night stay..nothing seems to be done...a waste of gold...!

Also when going through a dungeon and text pop's up...it stop's you dead in your track's unable to move...not to good of an idea...but it is what it is....the overall feel of the game for a mere 20.00 dollars..isnt bad..but would like to see a few changes made....but since it is just released we will wait and see what will be changed....but for now..the crawling continues..!

It....    sounds like you are not managing your money.....very well..! Just give this more....time..eventually....youwill catch on..to a pattern..! It is...a very..good..game..!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by asmadeous
    Originally posted by urriel1970

It....    sounds like you are not managing your money.....very well..! Just give this more....time..eventually....youwill catch on..to a pattern..! It is...a very..good..game..!

Was there a bulk sale on periods this week?  :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

There isn't much RNG in Darkest Dungeon. It just assumes the player is interested in figuring out the game's mechanics.

If you're failing because of what you think is RNG, then you are doing it wrong. Food is not worthless, it prevents you from starving. Torches can be used in various ways:

Low light - more gold, loot and crit chance. Combos well with certain trinkets that make you more powerful in the dark. Certain adventurers come with perks for dim light fighting.

High light - More and broader scouting chances upon entering a room. Do not enter a room and then light your torch, light the torch first so it counts when the scouting is triggered. >75% light means you have reduced chance to get surprised and a high chance at surprising your enemies (aka you get the entire first turn free for all characters!). It also reduces the amount of stress you receive. There are also trinkets that work with high light.

Building a party that synergizes well and is properly built and equipped for the monsters you will face. Swap abilities, focus on certain strategies, upgrade!

Have a roster that you can rotate so you can leave people in town to heal up.

This game has many layers of depth and if you died or got your guys stressed and chalked it up to RNG, it's because you didn't make an effort to go beyond it's most superficial elements.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    I got crit back to back by a brigand using chain of whips and watched my stress levels skyrocket because of damage that essentially my cleric was capable of restoring back in a single round.  Listening to the narrator lament over "mortality clarified" because of 2 points of damage was enough for me to find other games to play.  Every aspect of the game is influenced by random chance; even in party management, where characters will randomly disappear after performing stress reduction activities like praying or drinking.  This game does some things well, so it's worth picking up on sale, but you'll probably end up getting distracted by other games before too long.
  • DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    This game has got stacks of atmosphere and ranks highly on persona.

For sure, it's not for anyone addicted to hi-octane graphics and standard shoot-em-up blitzkriegs — but if you like creative comic book storytelling, moment-by-moment-strategy and the lurking sense that at any moment you could be totally obliterated unless you think and act smart ... this one is a winner.

Too many games have infinite ressurects, easily figurable zerg strategies, and too much click-to-kill gamepad mania.

Darkest Dungeon says CONGRATULATIONS IF YOU MAKE IT OUT ALIVE — and this makes for a level of excitement rare in what is effectively an interactive fantasy/horror comic book.
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Darkest Dungeon is good, one of my 3 most highly played games on Steam, but it isn't very deep from a game mechanics or strategic perspective.  I read a review somewhere suggesting leaving off after the first tier bosses which is more or less where I am now, and I don't feel any pressing need to continue. 

It's a worthwhile experience and I would recommend getting it on sale. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance