Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I quit Albion and why you should too!

2»

Comments

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Agree with most of the posts here. I can only blame the OPs reaction on his own ignorance or the unfortunate circumstances of the values he was raised with. Glad I'm not him. Joking or not, whether you agree it was homophobic or not, it was completely inappropriate and he deserves everything he got. Personally I think his post here should be deleted as its only providing a platform to market his continued ignorance.
    Phaserlightalkarionlog

There Is Always Hope!

• keyboardshinobikeyboardshinobi Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Obviously your first mistake was talking to other people. I tend to avoid doing that in my MMO's and in general everywhere i can. Rule of the wise, if someone can get offended they will, whether or not you intended it to be offensive or not does not matter nowadays. In the future remember if you think it can stir the pot it will and its best not to do it unless around like minded friends who will understand your meaning without it needing to be said.
    bartoni33JeffSpicoli
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    edited August 2018
    It also helps when lots of peeps already have you on ignore as well, as there's a great amount of freedom from being ignored.  >:)

People are free to say and do whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt another person, but if you put shit out there be prepared to get shit on...the door always swings both ways and usually swings back at you an exponential amount harder.

People are extra sensitive now-a-days with regards to race, gender, orientation, or a hundred other specifications probably because they're tired of everyone putting shit out there...

The Golden Rule, and all that, it's not that hard people...

I have my own issues I need to work on, like how I get off by bullying bullies.  :*

Gut Out!
    bartoni33MadFrenchie

What, me worry?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    edited August 2018
    fanglo said:
    Yea, without screenshots of the actual text, not sure you'll garner any sympathy.  Even your paraphrasing leaves wide open the possibility you violated ToS with your chat.  Depending upon how you delivered the lines and whether you made a singular comment and stopped or continued.
    Correct, but then that is another issue. I was told my comment was homophobic but not given any information beyond that. What did I specifically say that was homophobic? By the time I realized I was muted I tried to scroll up to screenshot the message but the game doesn't allow scrolling up a lot and by then the entire chat had already been replaced. Any evidence of what I said or didn't say long gone, only retained by the mods. 

Even in the reply E-mail they still didn't write down the specific message I said in global chat that was offensive. They force me to guess at what I said. If I'm going to be accused of saying something homophobic they should tell me what I said that was offensive. Otherwise I assume that I didn't say anything bad and thus was attacked by a SJW mod that took what I said out of context.

BTW I am a conspiracy theorist, I see this slowly happening all over the place. Conversations that people once had (especially in global chat) are slowly being censored in favor of a more PC global chat. Though I'm partly in favor of cleaning up filth from global chat across MMORPG's I don't think that an agenda should be pushed by the company doing it. 
    Joking that homosexuality needs a cure is going to flag you.  If you were serious, well then good luck in life.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Good riddance.
  • MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    The OP is an ignorant tool.
    JeffSpicoli

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited August 2018
    Malvious said:
    The OP is an ignorant tool.
    IKR? It's almost like OP is purposely trying to look stupid to make all conspiracy theorists look the same.

Wait...

Oh no...

NOW I'M A CONSPIRACY THEORIST!

image.gif 1013.5K
    Phaserlight

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• GrandpaDJGrandpaDJ Member UncommonPosts: 132
    fanglo said:
    I will leave with my final thought. Companies that hide behind ambiguous TOS need to stop kidding themselves into thinking that they are doing a service to society by silencing others. They aren't!

If you act like a 10-year old telling bad/insulting jokes, expect to be sent to your room by your parents (otherwise known as the Mods). That is what every TOS essentially says. My take away from this is that the company IS doing a service to society by muting you.
    JeffSpicoli
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    krevra[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    fanglo said:
    Ironicly, I'm a huge drama queen. You are right I did make a rookie mistake, mostly because i've never had to deal with a company defaming me in global chat before.
    You argue about the company openly defaming you.  But you know what? I doubt anyone remembers your name in game. Or that they care anymore.  This was a molehill, this was a non-issue. A 1 hour mute non-issue.  But you came here seeking redemption. And you told everyone what you said.  All of us who weren't playing when you were or don't have the game.  And now everyone who has seen this knows what you said, and it's only because you were angry over a 1 hour mute.  You did far more damage to yourself than any GM.
    cheyaneJeffSpicoliPhaserlight[Deleted User]
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Yep, chat has to be PC these days, and you cannot kid around either.  To the clueless in this post that called him a homophobe, grow up!  Get your own house in order before you call others names!
    JeffSpicoliBrainy
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    To quote one of my favorite movies, this sums it up:

"fanglo, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Phaserlight
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2018
    fanglo said:

I'm sorry I didn't copy down the chat, but I will try my best to re-create the chat in Global

Random Person: I love having sex with women
    Random Person: I'm a lesbian
    Me: I'm sorry
    Me: I hope they find a cure for that soon

Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    This is seriously a post about you calling another person's sexual orientation a disease, and then feeling wounded and persecuted by the pushback? 

I suspect it was meant to be a joke, rather than taken seriously. 

Regardless, jokes made in bad taste or in the wrong context can have serious consequences and as others said are better avoided.

Even if it was meant to be a joke, does that make things any better?  What if the conversation was like this?

(hypothetical conversation)

Random Person: I love being black.
    Random Person: I'm black.
    fanglo: I'm sorry
    fanglo: I hope they find a cure for that soon

But hey, fanglo is totally not homophobic because it was just a joke made in bad taste, right?

If a person is making homophobic jokes, they are homophobic.  A homophobic joke in bad taste is just as much homophobic garbage as other hate speech, and their homophobic garbage doesn't deserve a media outlet. Being a "joke made in bad taste" does not exempt it from that (probably the opposite, in fact.  Hate speech is no laughing matter.  And letting people spout racist or homophobic crap just because it's "a bad joke" is attempting to frame racism and homophobia as just jokes rather than the serious harmful and vile vomit that they are)
    GrandpaDJ
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Tiamat64 said:
    fanglo said:

I'm sorry I didn't copy down the chat, but I will try my best to re-create the chat in Global

Random Person: I love having sex with women
    Random Person: I'm a lesbian
    Me: I'm sorry
    Me: I hope they find a cure for that soon

Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    This is seriously a post about you calling another person's sexual orientation a disease, and then feeling wounded and persecuted by the pushback? 

I suspect it was meant to be a joke, rather than taken seriously. 

Regardless, jokes made in bad taste or in the wrong context can have serious consequences and as others said are better avoided.

Even if it was meant to be a joke, does that make things any better?  What if the conversation was like this?

(hypothetical conversation)

Random Person: I love being black.
    Random Person: I'm black.
    fanglo: I'm sorry
    fanglo: I hope they find a cure for that soon

But hey, fanglo is totally not homophobic because it was just a joke made in bad taste, right?

If a person is making homophobic jokes, they are homophobic.  A homophobic joke in bad taste is just as much homophobic garbage as other hate speech, and their homophobic garbage doesn't deserve a media outlet. Being a "joke made in bad taste" does not exempt it from that (probably the opposite, in fact.  Hate speech is no laughing matter.  And letting people spout racist or homophobic crap just because it's "a bad joke" is attempting to frame racism and homophobia as just jokes rather than the serious harmful and vile vomit that they are)
    ok so tell me if you ban everyone to say what they think how you will know who you want to be friends or not? that is why freedom is a good thing let the idiots say waht they want, now you know they are idiots and then you can ignore/keep distance from him.

its the same with bad jokes how a person can be serious on undestanding on if its a good joke or bad? if he is telling for some reason he thinks its good. its a trolling from a joke nothing more or less.

I think everyone really should growth a thicker skin, he should just be man and take his hour of ban from chat, the mod should chill since it was one thing only, and people name calling here is not that much diferent from the op here either.
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited August 2018

You would hate comedy clubs lol Anyone catch the chappelle special on Netflix? So good
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Ozmodan said:
    Yep, chat has to be PC these days, and you cannot kid around either.  To the clueless in this post that called him a homophobe, grow up!  Get your own house in order before you call others names!
    1. Not allowing bigotry in open chat isn't "PC." It's called living in the modern world. 

2. Hate speech isn't fun, especially if you are its target.

3. Behaviors have names. If you act homophobic, you likely will be thought of as a homophobe. 

4. No, you can't play the "you do it too" card when you don't even know to whom you are speaking. 
    alkarionlogPhaserlightBrainy

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Expressing sympathy for someone and wishing their physical or mental illness can be cured is hardly phobic or hateful. OP got banned for having an unpopular, un-PC opinion on the nature of human sexuality. The only person here who exhibited fear, hatred, and / or intolerance was the mod / company who muted him for daring to have an opinion contrary to their own, very common behavior for SJWs. They're masters of projecting their own inadequacies and character defects onto others.

PhaserlightcheyaneAmatheInteritusMadFrenchie[Deleted User]Brainy

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    thunderC said:

You would hate comedy clubs lol Anyone catch the chappelle special on Netflix? So good
    I get your point, but there's context there.  The OP isn't a comedian, and general chat isn't a comedy club.  Context is important.
    cheyane[Deleted User]

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Expressing sympathy for someone and wishing their physical or mental illness can be cured is hardly phobic or hateful. OP got banned for having an unpopular, un-PC opinion on the nature of human sexuality. The only person here who exhibited fear, hatred, and / or intolerance was the mod / company who muted him for daring to have an opinion contrary to their own, very common behavior for SJWs. They're masters of projecting their own inadequacies and character defects onto others.

I mean lets not color oranges bananas here.  If you think this is indeed correct... You are part of the problem, not the solution.
    Amathe
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
This discussion has been closed.