Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you thinking, "OMG, what have I done?" Or still confident?

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    MaxBacon said:
    I'm not doubting it, it's visibly improving with every patch, delivering on the lines of its pitch, at this stage there's really little that validates the argument "they won't be able to do it!" when they are actively doing it.

There are still things that haunt the playability like server and client performance, that with ongoing solutions in-dev, will knock down the main thing that makes the game experience frustrating to many.

The only thing is the time it takes and its development pace. SC is to fill a void left by games like SWG, it's the type of MMO experience I've always wanted, bringing back that vibe will be SC's biggest win.
    They can only optimize this engine so much.  Time will tell if they end up increasing the hardware requirements or abandon certain features because of it.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Herase said:
    rodarin said:
    TEKK3N said:
    I am critic of their development process, they want to do everything at once, that's why the game seems like a mess.

But in their defence, I have to say that most people don't get what SC actually is.
    SC is a space simulator, it's not an arcade, so when people say that it is too difficult to learn how control a ship it's because it's intended.
    If you ever played a flight simulator most of your time will be spent learning the controls, SC is the same, but in space.

I have a starting pack and last time I tried the game was more than a year ago but even then it had a decent tutorial and I learned to drive the ship in just over an hour, so I don't understand the complaints.
    If I had time I would link the video of Roberts himself trying to 'play' it. And thats the one where he was actually able to turn on the PC. Yeah he is single handedly 'saving' the PC gaming genre.....
    ????????

He didn't say anything about saving the genre, also not sure what CR trying to play the game has anything to do with whats being said lol
    Well he did say "THEY THOUGHT I WAS DEAD" and then said "I AM A PC GAME"... or something along those lines.
    CR has a big ego... I think we can all agree on that ;)
    craftseeker

..Cake..

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    They can only optimize this engine so much.  Time will tell if they end up increasing the hardware requirements or abandon certain features because of it.
    The biggest optimizations have not been done yet, at the moment the engine loads the entire game world into your memory, OCS will make it only load the area surrounding you, at this moment your client gets updates from 49 other players independent of where you are, with network culling you only get the updates from those near you.

So the biggest optimizations that are in-dev are still to come, they hit walls due to the limitations of what their engine can do, but they with things like OCS refactoring parts of the engine on this past years, is for exactly that reason.
    Kyleran
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    It sure seems like they will blow through all this KS money and not have alot to show for it. With that many people, a layoff is inevitable and sooner more likely than later.
    They have more innovations than most other new AAA games combined.
    They can sell their technology and make more millions.

alkarionlog

..Cake..

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    It sure seems like they will blow through all this KS money and not have alot to show for it. With that many people, a layoff is inevitable and sooner more likely than later.
    They do not need 500 people for the whole development period.

So predicting that layoffs will happen is like predicting that the sun will rise tomorrow.

And its normal in the gaming industry - unless you are a big established publisher with multiple IPs and immediately start to develop a new and different game. Then you can reassign to the new game all the experts you do not need anymore for the old game. And develop concurrently.

Have fun
    craftseeker
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    200% happy with development direction and progress. Only regret is not backing it earlier.
    MikehaKyleranalkarionlogklash2def
  • BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    No where close to panicking, I have had a few critiques about CIG over the years though. At the end of the day, I spent no more money than I was initially comfortable spending. I'm in it for no more than what a collectors edition game would cost, and I signed up in 2014.
  • BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    MaxBacon said:
    I'm not doubting it, it's visibly improving with every patch, delivering on the lines of its pitch, at this stage there's really little that validates the argument "they won't be able to do it!" when they are actively doing it.

There are still things that haunt the playability like server and client performance, that with ongoing solutions in-dev, will knock down the main thing that makes the game experience frustrating to many.

The only thing is the time it takes and its development pace. SC is to fill a void left by games like SWG, it's the type of MMO experience I've always wanted, bringing back that vibe will be SC's biggest win.
    That's pretty much every game development ever though, it just usually happens behind closed doors.
    Octagon7711
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    rodarin said:
    TEKK3N said:
    I am critic of their development process, they want to do everything at once, that's why the game seems like a mess.

But in their defence, I have to say that most people don't get what SC actually is.
    SC is a space simulator, it's not an arcade, so when people say that it is too difficult to learn how control a ship it's because it's intended.
    If you ever played a flight simulator most of your time will be spent learning the controls, SC is the same, but in space.

I have a starting pack and last time I tried the game was more than a year ago but even then it had a decent tutorial and I learned to drive the ship in just over an hour, so I don't understand the complaints.
    If I had time I would link the video of Roberts himself trying to 'play' it. And thats the one where he was actually able to turn on the PC. Yeah he is single handedly 'saving' the PC gaming genre.....
    Where did I say that CR is single handedly saving the game?
    All I said was that people complaining about not understanding how to drive a ship should move on and stop complaining (about the controls).
    The game is a simulator not an arcade so don't expect to use 5 buttons to drive the ship.
    You don't drive a real F35 with the WASD keys it's a bit more complicated than that.
    CS ships are like real F35 in space.
    If you don't fancy spending hours learning how to lift off, then this is not the game for you.
    Elite and Dangerous is that way.
    Kyleran
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    TEKK3N said:
    rodarin said:
    TEKK3N said:

Where did I say that CR is single handedly saving the game?
    All I said was that people complaining about not understanding how to drive a ship should move on and stop complaining (about the controls).
    The game is a simulator not an arcade so don't expect to use 5 buttons to drive the ship.
    You don't drive a real F35 with the WASD keys it's a bit more complicated than that.
    CS ships are like real F35 in space.
    If you don't fancy spending hours learning how to lift off, then this is not the game for you.
    Elite and Dangerous is that way.
    IDK, have you ever tried aligning a ship to the "mail slot" on a rotating space station to do a landing in Elite Dangerous?  =)
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:
    Go ahead, necro that old thing. You know you want it.

Nevermind tenthousands of others playing the game. Go ahead, dig out the one scene with Chris Roberts where (the  Alpha version of)  Star Citizen did not respond like it should and do your "Na na na na na" dance.

Ignore all the dozens of other videos where Star Citizen DID work like it was intended. It would ruin your narrative, Mr. "There-never-was-a-moon-landing-it-was-all-a-fake".

And that remark about "single handedly 'saving' the PC gaming genre" came from another "agent provocateur" trying to provoke negative reactions. Are you tag-teaming with him today ?

Pathetic.

Have fun

tens of thousands of people are playing it? I would bet ANY amount of money they didnt even have 5000 unique users log on this whole fly free weekend.

For a project that brags about so much involving numbers there is never any proof these people exist and most definitely no proof that that many people are 'playing' this 'game' (which is a misnomer because it isnt close to being a game and is barely above being a proof of concept tech demo despite the claims of all the 'improvements' that theyre making.

But its good to know that is wasnt 3.0 that was the end all be all but now its going to be 3.3 and when that comes and goes like a fart in a windstorm it will be the NEXT one (we promise) that makes it everything they promised it would be.

I have said that for 3 years now starting i think with 2.1(could have been 2.4 I cant remember what disappointment it was now) where it was always going to be the next big 'update' that finally proved all the 'haters' wrong.

As for 'saving the genre' comment it has been used by multiple people directly related with CiG. Maybe not the exact words but its been intimated by many.

Oddly I googled something similar but came up with this AWESOME article, check the date and all the nonsense getting spewed and now flash forward almost 6 years later and see how everything he said was completely wrong or wishful thinking. I mean LITERALLY (and I never use that word) he says has been completely blown out of the water. From the amount of RAM (he claimed 4 and people who have 32 cant run it...)it was going to need to its 2014 release date (he said its not set to release until 2 years from now which then was late Oct of 2012.) To the amount of money it was going to take to make it. He said they would have 'private' investors to push the crowdfunding to around 10 million. Oh and the claim of having millions of people in the game at the same time (that one is worth a copy and a paste... "Rather than 100 on a server, I’m promising a meta-server on top of that can bring it to millions of people."

Seriously just read it, its awesome.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/star-citizens-chris-roberts-discusses-upping-the-ante-on-pc-gaming/

Gobstopper3D
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited August 2018
    I'm waiting to buy a vial of blood like Richard Garriot did, but instead of the head team, I want a vial of blood from every developer. I'll pay 1k each. I also want voodoo dolls with pins for an extra 250 dollars each and then finally I want a jpeg image of the creator of star citizen for 50k. Finally I want to pay 1 million every 6 months to be in the official star citizen cult.

All in USD

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• NyteWytchNyteWytch Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I backed I think right after the kickstarter for a pretty nominal amount (freelancer pack). I've since put much, much more into it and played off/on at different points with friends and solo. I've got zero regrets and have no problems waiting as I check in occasionally and play to see where they are at. I'm not a rabid fan girl or delirious whale. :P 
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    rodarin said:
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:
    Go ahead, necro that old thing. You know you want it.

Nevermind tenthousands of others playing the game. Go ahead, dig out the one scene with Chris Roberts where (the  Alpha version of)  Star Citizen did not respond like it should and do your "Na na na na na" dance.

Ignore all the dozens of other videos where Star Citizen DID work like it was intended. It would ruin your narrative, Mr. "There-never-was-a-moon-landing-it-was-all-a-fake".

And that remark about "single handedly 'saving' the PC gaming genre" came from another "agent provocateur" trying to provoke negative reactions. Are you tag-teaming with him today ?

Pathetic.

Have fun

tens of thousands of people are playing it? I would bet ANY amount of money they didnt even have 5000 unique users log on this whole fly free weekend.

For a project that brags about so much involving numbers there is never any proof these people exist and most definitely no proof that that many people are 'playing' this 'game' (which is a misnomer because it isnt close to being a game and is barely above being a proof of concept tech demo despite the claims of all the 'improvements' that theyre making.

But its good to know that is wasnt 3.0 that was the end all be all but now its going to be 3.3 and when that comes and goes like a fart in a windstorm it will be the NEXT one (we promise) that makes it everything they promised it would be.

I have said that for 3 years now starting i think with 2.1(could have been 2.4 I cant remember what disappointment it was now) where it was always going to be the next big 'update' that finally proved all the 'haters' wrong.

As for 'saving the genre' comment it has been used by multiple people directly related with CiG. Maybe not the exact words but its been intimated by many.

Oddly I googled something similar but came up with this AWESOME article, check the date and all the nonsense getting spewed and now flash forward almost 6 years later and see how everything he said was completely wrong or wishful thinking. I mean LITERALLY (and I never use that word) he says has been completely blown out of the water. From the amount of RAM (he claimed 4 and people who have 32 cant run it...)it was going to need to its 2014 release date (he said its not set to release until 2 years from now which then was late Oct of 2012.) To the amount of money it was going to take to make it. He said they would have 'private' investors to push the crowdfunding to around 10 million. Oh and the claim of having millions of people in the game at the same time (that one is worth a copy and a paste... "Rather than 100 on a server, I’m promising a meta-server on top of that can bring it to millions of people."

Seriously just read it, its awesome.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/star-citizens-chris-roberts-discusses-upping-the-ante-on-pc-gaming/

Chris Roberts later said that they did not need these private investors due too the overwhelming success of the crowdfunding campaign. But that is a fact you - as always - conveniently forget to mention. 

A meta server with scalable size and instancing can host any number of people, even millions. Star Citizen always said they use instancing. Nothing new there. Nothing has changed. 

>>> Maybe not the exact words but its been intimated by many. >>>
    So ... "they said what i think they said, even if they did not really say it ..."
    THAT is your argument ??!
    And with no link to these additional dev statements to support your arguments? 

Star Citizen project hardware requirements are all subject to change during development. 4 GB RAM was NEVER the recommended amount. We will see from the release version what the minimum requirements will be. 

I am not quite sure about your fixation on "farts" but when it comes to player numbers ... there are thousands of player made SC videos on YouTube, made by thousands of players. As only a percentage of players will put their gameplay videos online, IMHO it is highly likely that a high number of people play SC. This can also be seen in testing when CIG goes from Evocati (approx. 1000) to first wave testers (thousands to tenthousands) to all testers (tenthousands to potentially hundredthousands). 

Have fun
  • rifleman223rifleman223 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited August 2018
    OP: I still maintain my original thoughts from kickstarter days (2012). "It could come out, or it could not come out" there's no safety net so. I refuse to be all doom and gloom about a potential game that could very much come out or very much not come out. I still have my reservations and make those public to those who seek out information about the product that they're promised. My response is. " You can buy it and have a promise of a product, just don't expect it to run as smooth as a finished game, its riddled with bugs and FPS drops and just as a FYI if the game fails then you might not actually get your product at all unless a publisher buys it from CIG to save the day similar to Freelancer. Its an entirely individual decision that could backfire or not. "

When it comes to a project like this, I remain relatively neutral, since I also own this product along with No Mans Sky and Elite Dangerous. Dual Universe could very much drop before SC does, the latter could drop before the first one. I don't know I'm just a consumer who makes observations.

If your thinking about buying this product just be warned that there's no publisher backing and if it fails, then thats it, they've run out of other people's money and now they're and by extension you are screwed.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Ronald88 said:
    Im still confident that SC will be great.
    Its better with every patch.

Check the roadmap to see what to expect.
    Patch 3.3 will be on the 10.10.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen
    I'm waiting to see a version of the roadmap which has a 'finish line' on it.

Any bets on if or when that might happen?

;)
    TEKK3Ncraftseeker

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2018
    Babuinix said:
    200% happy with development direction and progress. Only regret is not backing it earlier.
    You could always bump your pledge up and be 300% happier, right? 

:)
    Beezerbeez

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

TEKK3N said:

You are probably correct, atm it is a flight simulator,  I'm just hoping like most of the earlier flight sims they decide to put in an autopilot or easier landing mode.

There's a good reason why flight sims as a genre never were super popular, far more folks prefer more of a game.

But hey, we are discussing far off, (like 5 yrs) events, you know, like full release. 

Light years go before they sleep.....

;)

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    OP: I still maintain my original thoughts from kickstarter days (2012). "It could come out, or it could not come out" there's no safety net so. I refuse to be all doom and gloom about a potential game that could very much come out or very much not come out. I still have my reservations and make those public to those who seek out information about the product that they're promised. My response is. " You can buy it and have a promise of a product, just don't expect it to run as smooth as a finished game, its riddled with bugs and FPS drops and just as a FYI if the game fails then you might not actually get your product at all unless a publisher buys it from CIG to save the day similar to Freelancer. Its an entirely individual decision that could backfire or not. "

When it comes to a project like this, I remain relatively neutral, since I also own this product along with No Mans Sky and Elite Dangerous. Dual Universe could very much drop before SC does, the latter could drop before the first one. I don't know I'm just a consumer who makes observations.

If your thinking about buying this product just be warned that there's no publisher backing and if it fails, then thats it, they've run out of other people's money and now they're and by extension you are screwed.
    or if u live in CA and you can ask the bank to do a charge back due to false advertisement. Works like a charm. 
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    At the time of the kickstarter,  I noted that SC would not be released as described, and that it would be very, very late.  I'll stick with both of those....

In 2014 I predicted it would be released in 2020.  It appears that was very, very optimistic.

Unless you are very patient and not risk adverse, save your money til something legit releases.
    Kyleran

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

At the time of the kickstarter,  I noted that SC would not be released as described, and that it would be very, very late.  I'll stick with both of those....

In 2014 I predicted it would be released in 2020.  It appears that was very, very optimistic.

Unless you are very patient and not risk adverse, save your money til something legit releases.

While you were way off on your estimate you could never have factored in the almost unimaginable amount of money raised thus far and continues to roll in monthly.

Who knew there was such a wealthy and underserved market for a space sim?

No one....
    ConstantineMerus

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:
    You could always bump your pledge up and be 300% happier, right? 

:)
    You were right, it worked! B)
    PhaserlightKyleran
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I hope it makes it out and is an awesome game changer, without too much more system creep. I hope those who've already spent their money on it, and some lots of money, get every penny back in blissful gameplay!

Any success story helps drive our hobby in a positive direction.

If it packs a fraction of innovation into what some say will be in there, it will help gaming grow in interesting directions, and move the normal goal posts outward.

I think SC is at the point where there's too much hype around it for good or bad, and no matter what the end product will be, the vocal minority will have or find plenty to bitch about...

I've said it before, but I'm impatiently waiting for someone to release something like the OASIS, so I can give them my money and disappear down the rabbit hole for while.

When this game releases, if it gets 'us' that much closer to what I want, then great.

And if the hype is real on this I'll definitely be giving it a try with an open mind, as this type of game isn't my usual purview.

Gut Out!
    Erillion

What, me worry?

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I'm in the middle I guess.  I am disappointed in that I really wanted a Freelancer or Wing Commander type game.   I could care less about walking in the station or all the things @Erillion
     is enjoying.  I am hoping that I will get that with the Squadron 42 game.  I don't want an FPS shooter.  I would love to do trading / mining / exploring space etc. and I REEEEAAALLLY hope I can do it without leaving my ship or having to engage in FPS battles.

Having said all of that - I did the kickstarter and maybe a $10 top up at one point on a promotion so I am in for $35 I think.  I am positive I will get that out of it at least.

I don't like the feature creep and wish they would have released it as finished modules instead.  ie. finish the space game. . then add the station and FPS etc. 

I am hoping they stop adding new things and tie things up.  I don't follow the game super closely but it seems like the progress is fairly slow given the time and number of people working on it.  I would have rather had them innovate in a few key areas rather try to revolutionize every single aspect.

Of course if they pull it all off it will be incredible.  I just hope they will be willing to say, (like many MMOS have) we bit off more than we could chew. . we are releasing 'this' and working on the rest over time.  It seems like they are all chips in on several different things. . all of which have a decent chance of not working the way they want.  They also seem to have tied these components together so they don't function separately.  Risky but it will be boom or bust for sure :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    strykr619 said:

or if u live in CA and you can ask the bank to do a charge back due to false advertisement. Works like a charm. 
    Spoken from personal experience?

A chargeback isn't just a blank check up to the limit you've spent.  Usually you have to prove no goods or services were transferred otherwise it could be considered fraudulent.  The CIG keiretsu has been taking plenty of action this year to combat this.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance