Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me pick an RPG, please! So many choices!

2»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kingdom Come has patched most of their problems away and it's a solid RPG with around 150hr of gameplay. It's a very different game compared to what you have listed. But it is an RPG in every sense.
    That game does look interesting, but is the combat very challenging?  Fast-paced and twitchy?  I'm old and slow.  =)
    Combat isn't fast-paced or twitchy. In fact many people complain how slow the combat is. It gives you enough time to react, and you don't need to button mash at all to win fights. None the less, the combat is brutal. Because when you are 1v2 in the real world, they'll probably kill you. And this game has tried to be as real as it can be. 

Kingdom Come is first, an RPG, then an action game. So gear and stats go a long way in helping you overcoming difficult opponents. And then there are way too many non-combat routes to take in this game. For instance instead of going inside a camp screaming to kill everyone, you can just sneak in and poison their food. 

I'm playing this on PS4 and aiming for the Platinum trophy. For that I need to avoid killing people in my entire playthrough. When a game's main achievement is that, it usually does offer you a lot of ways to avoid combat altogether. 

Although there are many situations which you cannot avoid combat (in my case, I have to use a blunt weapon to knock them out instead of killing them) and those can become rather challenging. But I believe even in those situations training your character and thinking through a good combat strategy is more important than having fast reactions. Anyways, I suggest you should watch a couple of regular playthroughs on YouTube. 

In the end, the combat is easier than Dark Souls and harder than Skyrim. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    @MightyUnclean, have you tried the Shadowrun series (3 games in all)? They are set in a  cyberpunk world and you have turn based party combat. I find them enjoyable and they (Shadowrun: Returns, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and Shadowrun: Hong Kong) are available on Steam (boooo) and GoG (yea!!).
    Phry

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I looked at this thread for recommendations, only found two I had not played or were on my wish list! :)

The Banner Saga
    Bastion
    Jotun
    King's Bounty
    frostymug
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
    Lords of Xulima
    Battle Chasers: Nightwar
    Fallout New Vegas
    The Dwarves
    Nox
    Sea Dogs or Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships
    Legends of Eisenwald

In no particular order, only chaos
  • glowenglowen Member CommonPosts: 6
    There are mixed feelings about this game, it's an MMORPG style world, but single player game. I find that a lot of people did not know about this game ever in their lives. 
    It's called KIngdom of Amalur: Reckoning

For thos who have played this game, it might have some nostalgia, because the armors and battle system feels very good. But there are many filler quests and world seems to be made for MMORPG genre and it's stretched out widely.  

However, i feel like this game should be mentioned. :) 

ScotfrostymugYashaXbartoni33
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2018
     Balrum is another really nice RPG great class customization /housing /farming /cooking etc.. Great story interetsing puzzles and combat and exploration, well thought out and useful crafting .. Highly recommend..

And if you are looking for a Bards Tale like game Sword and Sorcery  Underworld is very well done....https://store.steampowered.com/app/408400/Swords_and_Sorcery__Underworld__Definitive_Edition/

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Skyrim, a must.
    bartoni33
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    glowen said:
    There are mixed feelings about this game, it's an MMORPG style world, but single player game. I find that a lot of people did not know about this game ever in their lives. 
    It's called KIngdom of Amalur: Reckoning

For thos who have played this game, it might have some nostalgia, because the armors and battle system feels very good. But there are many filler quests and world seems to be made for MMORPG genre and it's stretched out widely.  

However, i feel like this game should be mentioned. :) 

Welcome to the boards! KoA was an old favourite of mine, there was talk at one stage of making it into a MMO but it fell through. 
  • mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Enderal is a free total conversion mod for skyrim.  It is a fan made game using the skyrim engine, highly recommend.
    Gorwe
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2 are not overly complex. Play like Eye of the Beholder.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Kingdom Come has patched most of their problems away and it's a solid RPG with around 150hr of gameplay. It's a very different game compared to what you have listed. But it is an RPG in every sense.
    That game does look interesting, but is the combat very challenging?  Fast-paced and twitchy?  I'm old and slow.  =)
    Combat isn't fast-paced or twitchy. In fact many people complain how slow the combat is. It gives you enough time to react, and you don't need to button mash at all to win fights. None the less, the combat is brutal. Because when you are 1v2 in the real world, they'll probably kill you. And this game has tried to be as real as it can be. 

Kingdom Come is first, an RPG, then an action game. So gear and stats go a long way in helping you overcoming difficult opponents. And then there are way too many non-combat routes to take in this game. For instance instead of going inside a camp screaming to kill everyone, you can just sneak in and poison their food. 

I'm playing this on PS4 and aiming for the Platinum trophy. For that I need to avoid killing people in my entire playthrough. When a game's main achievement is that, it usually does offer you a lot of ways to avoid combat altogether. 

Although there are many situations which you cannot avoid combat (in my case, I have to use a blunt weapon to knock them out instead of killing them) and those can become rather challenging. But I believe even in those situations training your character and thinking through a good combat strategy is more important than having fast reactions. Anyways, I suggest you should watch a couple of regular playthroughs on YouTube. 

In the end, the combat is easier than Dark Souls and harder than Skyrim. 
    Is there a secret to getting into this game?

I bought it and have played a couple of hours and just find most of the systems clunky and annoying.

Combat feels so broken at least when I've encountered it (which in the first couple of hours is really minimal). I feel like countering works half the time, and the other half you just get steamrolled because of how clunky it felt. But maybe I'm approaching the combat wrong. I do know I died like 5 times trying to get to the second town while the first gets invaded, just because I would encounter like 4 guys at once. Until I managed to secure a horse and run away. But does it ever get better?

I feel like food is another thing that is a bit odd, if you are too hungry you get weak but if you are too full you get weak, so you have to constantly fight with a food bar to make sure that you aren't losing strength and stamina? As well as the sleeping system. I feel like it's more strategic sure, but you can't sleep too much in a single day, so saving and then running into combat, and not being able to rest after to heal is kind of crazy to me. 

I felt like everything is designed to be super realistic but it wasn't meshing with me. Does combat get more fun? Does it get easier to manage food and sleep? I really want to get into this game, but the game felt like it didn't want me to get into it.
  • etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Mass Effects are pretty cool if you're into scifi type of stuff. Any of the Dragon Ages are pretty awesome too!

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.  Man, so many great options!  What a hard decision.
  • kingdomslayerkingdomslayer Member CommonPosts: 6
    Just wondering if anyone has a full list of RPGs that I can use :) I'm a RPG fan too!

• berenimberenim Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Just wondering if anyone has a full list of RPGs that I can use :) I'm a RPG fan too!

A full list? Well, if you want it you can have it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_role-playing_video_games

Have fun digging through it. ;) They also have a list of JRPGs and Roguelikes on Wikipedia. Can't tell if it is full and complete, but it should be enough to kkep you occupied. Check gog for the older ones. Many are there. :D

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    SO many choices indeed.  Of the games listed here, I have played almost all of them.  Each of us is a bit different so some may like others more.  This being said I would recommend the following in no particular order

POE 1 and 2 - Play the 1st one first if possible
    Dragon Age 1
    Mass Effect Series - I liked all the games, some didn't like the most recent one
    Shadowrun series - Simply classic and something I go back and replay from time to time
    Vampyr - This one surprised me, its relatively new but a ton of fun
    sumdumguy1
  • MikeR2MikeR2 Member CommonPosts: 2
    Have you tried Uncharted Waters?  Great game once you get past the school tutorials.  Lots of players to help you if you have questions. Lots of grinding, but also very addictive.