Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Circle of Life, Gaming-wise. Where are you?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
I am starting to fizzle out a bit. But still have hopes and dreams. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I buggered my attempt at a poll on this issue, sorry.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Amathe said:
    I buggered my attempt at a poll on this issue, sorry.
    I vote "other" on the non-existent poll.
    Amathe[Deleted User]KyleranConstantineMeruscraftseekerOctagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I'm post-menopausal but pre-pubescent.

@Amathe, sorry once again for jumping into your thread with a silly comment!
    craftseeker

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I'm post-menopausal but pre-pubescent.

@Amathe, sorry once again for jumping into your thread with a silly comment!
    Silly is a lot of what we do here.
    MadFrenchieOctagon7711

• KenlogKenlog Member CommonPosts: 6
    edited August 2018
    For the last 3 years i've been through some spiritual mind blowing journey, no idea how i ended up like this, but now i am starting to take matters into hands, working out and learning applied skills is a good start. The webs we weave with our mind. oh man :|

Oh what i mean is that through these 3 weird years i've been playing incremental games too much, as to learn to make something myself. That's not a good way to go, it's better to allow yourself to explore wider spectrum of genres or else it gets weird
    KyleranVelifax
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    edited August 2018
    At this point I find any game I play with friends to be fun. We rotate between diablo3, warframe, wow, eq all depending on content theyre releasing

edit: if you haven't tried warframe recently definitely check it out. 
    Kyleran
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    I think I'm dying.

I've got the straight edge.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    El-Hefe said:
    I think I'm dying.
    Everyone is dying.....

Just a matter of exactly when.....

Well, and who has the most toys of course....

;)

El-HefeOctagon7711

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Never circled .. Still with UO over 20 years now , ive zigged and zagged here and there but the course always goes thru Britania
    Phaserlight
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I have recently decided that I'm embarrassed by how many games I have in my Steam, Gog, etc. libraries that I never got around to finishing. Some I almost did but my attention got pulled away by some new shiny and others I barely got started. So I'm currently in an aging game kick and much to my surprise some of those have aged really well.

I finally finished Kingdoms of Amalur and I'm most of the way through Bitterblack Isle in Dragon's Dogma. Both of those are eminently playable these many years after release.

MadFrenchieScorchienKyleran[Deleted User]PhryrojoArcueidOctagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Iselin said:
    I have recently decided that I'm embarrassed by how many games I have in my Steam, Gog, etc. libraries that I never got around to finishing. Some I almost did but my attention got pulled away by some new shiny and others I barely got started. So I'm currently in an aging game kick and much to my surprise some of those have aged really well.

I finally finished Kingdoms of Amalur and I'm most of the way through Bitterblack Isle in Dragon's Dogma. Both of those are eminently playable these many years after release.

KoA is a great playthru , had alotta fun with that one

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited August 2018
    4 decades of gaming and going strong. In the beginning there were only single-player games and split-screen. I got into competitive multi-player gaming in the late 90s and pushed that to the extreme. Became a Pro. Fun times, because I got paid to play video games and we all had that fantasy at some point.

Ultima Online and then EverQuest got me into the massive world of massively multi-player RPG. And it was epic. 5 years of insanely hardcore raiding in WoW to remain in the world's top 10, and 12 years of deception, trickery, mischief and mayhem in EVE to understand how does it feel to be a ruthless leader. 

Then the wait for the next virtual world to inhabit (© @Kyleran) and the hope to experience a new chapter in gaming. That never happened again.

Now I play single-player and some co-op games again. I get my challenge fix from hard difficulty and hard trophies now. Nonetheless, my circle is complete.

I don't experience the excitement of competitive gaming or hardcore MMOs anymore, true. But I have never been this happy and content with gaming before. It's a wonderful part of life and I shall game till death do us apart.
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    I believe I've found my place on the path unwinding...
    Scorchien

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    As a Harbinger I have already passed into the afterlife.  I just hang around to warn others to change their ways or be condemned to eternal torment.

Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JunebugircJunebugirc Member CommonPosts: 6
    I think I've gone complete full circle as far as my gaming. I tend to play a certain game genre and stick with it for a certain amount of months, then get tired of it and move on to the next genre. Last one was racing games, I bought steering wheel and pedals.. was completely hooked. It fizzled out, now I'm on my fighting game genre.  :p
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I think I'm at the "GET OFF OF MY LAWN!" phase...
    Rnjypsy[Deleted User]glowenPhaserlight

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• glowenglowen Member CommonPosts: 6
    I've had a good run at games until i've learned some game development and noticed how the games are made. Now it's harder to enjoy some as it feels like a new texture attached to the same game i've played some years ago :D 

However, i now appreciate games more and by playing them it feels as if i'm learning how to make certain design ideas. That's a lovely thing to realize.   Staying strong, like a door knob XD
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    No matter what, I always go back to Skyrim or Fallout.
    I just love Bethesda RPGs since Daggerfall.
    I wish they could make a sandbox Mmorpg based on Tes, not ESO.
    I am so looking forward Fallour 76.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    edited August 2018
    I cannot find any game to hold my attention longer than 15-20 minutes before I exit out. Even Witcher 3, where I'm on the Blood and Wine expansion. It's an amazing game, but I just can't get back into anything lately, and I'm not even burnt out... If anything, The past couple years, gaming has been an infrequent thing for me. But right now I'm feeling the fallout effects of some serious RL issues, and honestly I want to escape into my gaming, but my mind wont let me. ARGH

Anyways my list of games I've been trying to get back into/into in general.

War Thunder
    Planetside 2
    Witcher 3
    PUBG
    Rocket League
    Rainbow Six Siege
    TotalWar Warhammer 2
    MechWarrior Online
    Elite Dangerous
    Divinity Original Sin 2
    Danganronpa 2: Goodbye despair
    Bad Company 2
    CS:GO
    (Thinking about reinstalling Origin/ Battlefield 4)

So yeah, I have a fairly diverse genre set. Some I've already sunk alot of hours into like Bad Company with over 200hrs back in the day. I wish we lived longer as humans so I wouldn't gripe about having so many time investment choices.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    I've been enjoying myself. Mostly playing games I've played for a bit but still try things that I feel are good. If they are good I'll play them.

I've been playing less mmorpg's but single player games are going strong.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KoopTheLoopKoopTheLoop Member CommonPosts: 6
    right now I'm stuck in race car mode. I think because I've played rpg for so many years, and you know how that can be, they get drawn out and one game can last a few weeks if not months if you really play it to the best of your potential, that I'm now tired of playing them. so I've gotten into sports games, mainly racing games. I enjoy cars outside of gaming so racing games are kind of natural to me.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Two years ago I was playing a lot of guitar hero.  A year ago I was in the mood for the kind of game where you grind to level up pet monsters.   I did that for several months but eventually I got disappointed that in the particular game I chose it was impossible to ever complete a monster, so your hard work never truly paid off.  My interest shifted to quest-focused games, and I quested for maybe 3 months before I eventually wore that interest out.  I'm also running into the problem that MMO end game content always seems to be group content and I'm just not willing to put thousands of hours into being part of a group repeatedly doing a dungeon to get/upgrade the final set of gear in the game.

Next thing I want to play... might be a strategy game, a puzzle game or a skyrim-type game, depends what I find when I go shopping.  but definitely something single-player to give me a rest from the weird socialization of being in a guild.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Consider me to have complained about the fact that there is no option on the poll for me despite the fact that I can easily imagine an other option.

Gaming wise I think my circle is complete. These days I can barely sink a few hours per week into my favorite games before tiring. The old favorites are gone, the new favorites but shadows of the old.

I'm puzzled because it isn't as though I feel as if I'm wasting my time. I had assumed that would be how one loses a hobby. Instead there is simply no more fun to be had.

However I suspect this to be depression rather than age, as no new hobbies have arisen.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Well, with the advent of age-altering drugs being tested on humans in a few years, maybe we'll all live long enough to play our ever-growing libraries!

I'm a full-time invester in gaming futures, and a life-time gamer. I hope at some point that we'll stop having kids (and starting that cycle over and over again), and our youngest will soon be more independent and I can finally be more dependable to my friends' Multiplayer needs.

I look at my digital library as an investment when thinking about my library size doesn't cause anal leakage....

Gut Out!
    Tiller

What, me worry?