Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What a horrible game !

12345679»

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Is this the longest "pre-alpha" in MMO history? They got a ton of kickstarter money, 500 people, and pre alpha after 4-5 years is all we get? Cmon man.
    I wonder if it's against the TOS to will this game to an potential family member who hasn't been born yet...
    bcbully
  • picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256
    MaxBacon said:
    Most of your complaint is about game performance, and lack of a friendly experience to new users, especially with controls.

Those are common issues of a game at this stage of development, those things will improve over time, there are major undertakings ongoing to improve its performance to ease up on the servers and client render, and things like tutorials are more for the future.

Aside from the performance, expecting the alpha to have a guided user experience for what is a sim is not that realistic, it really requires figuring out outside the game, that's why they created the articles for it here: https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008192574

The guides and such are all there, in text and video; I think you were looking in the wrong places for help.

"Games are not meant to use ur brain anymore..wake up devs"
    ^^ Space Sims are famous to force you to use your brain, and infamous due to all the salty people who can't cope with their learning curves.
    Right, OP is wrong in so many regards BUT... expecting a game after more than 4 years not being in alpha stage anymore, especially with such a huge budged in their back, is more than realistic; I'd say that's what anyone halfway sane in his mind would consider the most obvious thing!
  • Ronald88Ronald88 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Do you know guys that Syberpunk 2077 is in development since 2012 too, and nobody is complaining.

They started developing it with a full crew and not with a few people like Starcitizen.

ErillionFrodoFraginsPhaserlight
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Ronald88 said:
    Do you know guys that Syberpunk 2077 is in development since 2012 too, and nobody is complaining.

They started developing it with a full crew and not with a few people like Starcitizen.

I don’t recall CD Projekt taking almost 200 million of fans money, constantly missing deadlines, lying to fans, walking back promises and selling packages for up to thousands of dollars each.

that would probably be why no one is really complaining.
    FrodoFraginssgelSlyLoKPhaserlightNilden
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I don't like participating in these "Alphas" because companies turn around and use signups as a positive metric point regardless of how you feel about the game or if you uninstall it.

I do not wish to be +1 in what could possibly be the biggest gaming scam in history.

I'll see how it is if/when it actually launches. At least I can get give hard nosed critiques without minions using the "it's not done yet" retort (they'll switch to "It just came out give it some time").

Please believe after being so close to 1/4 billion anything other than One of The Greatest Games of All Time is an absolute deserved failure.

"As long as you're asking, why don't we go for a cool billion?"

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kefo said:
    Ronald88 said:

I don’t recall CD Projekt taking almost 200 million of fans money, constantly missing deadlines, lying to fans, walking back promises and selling packages for up to thousands of dollars each.

that would probably be why no one is really complaining.
    Not that it is unrelated, but it's not like only the backers are bashing the project. When it comes to our forums most of the backers defend the project and the bashers are mostly non-backers. So the money argument is not valid in sense of justifying the complaints because they have already paid good money so they reserve the right. 

Of course this doesn't change the validity of critisms. 

I think the amount of hype plays a key role for enough people to care and try to make observations about the problems of this project. Imagine if Blizzard's Project Titan had a playable alpha for the whole development stage. I bet we would get a lot more heated arguments and criticism regarding that compared to SC. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    edited August 2018
    Ronald88 said:

Cyberpunk's development did not start fully until The Witcher 3's DLC were finished, around mid 2016 if I remember correctly.

As per the wiki:

Cyberpunk 2077 entered pre-production as soon as developer CD Projekt Red had finished The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine.[27] Around this time, approximately fifty staff members were involved;[28] they later devoted a team larger than that of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt,[29] and after it was released, began upgrading their REDengine 3 to complement Cyberpunk 2077.
    FrodoFraginsPhaserlightKefo
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    From the 200 million dollar shit show

This is an “Am I too stupid to play Star Citizen?” redux

Random streamer tries Star Marine.

He tries the Persistent Universe.

He tries again.

And again. 

Now, he has a Citizen tour guide with him. Listen to the interactions as the noob explains his inability to open doors because he’s trapped in his spawn room.

“Don’t worry about that. That’s (door opening in year 6) a work in progress. A lot of things are a work in progress. But a lot of things are just AMBITIOUS and incredibly beautiful unlike any other game I’ve ever experienced..”

His friendly guide goes on while the streamer clicks ineffectually on the door. Trapped. His guide attempts to free him. It fails. Fifteen minutes later, he exits to menu.

Three hours and twenty minutes later, he tries a fourth time.

The server worse than ever, he exits to menu.

And again.

This time four hours into his stream, he manages to escape the spawn room. His host has summoned a ship and beckons just off the landing pad with promises of co-piloting adventures...

Only to have his ship despawn before the streamer can jump out to him.

Um, CIG, I hate to point out the obvious again two and a half years after McArthur’s ill-fated Free Flight experience, but you still have a slight playability problem. It’s not THEM, it’s YOU. And all the friendly tour guide whales in the world are not enough to compensate for these kinds of shortcomings.
    maskedweaselSlyLoK
  • velimiriusvelimirius Member UncommonPosts: 134
    its not a game but a garbage vaporware techdemo
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Sovrath said:
    What amount of hand-holding is required in your opinion so people won't get somehow offended over a goddamned free demo? 
    All they need to do is say "pre-alpha, this game is not finished and is still in development."

done.

Anyone who complains after that ... well that's about "them."
    Fair enough. 

Star Citizen Free Fly Weekend announcement and articles

Source: robertsspaceindustries.com

"If you are new here, welcome!  If you're returning after a long absence to check out new changes..." "...To help get you oriented, check out our overview of the game."

Gameplay Guides

Overview of the game

"Star Citizen is in active development. You can download and play Star Citizen Alpha 3.2 now. Additional features and updates will be released as they are developed."

Start Your Journey Today

Source: pcgamer.com 

"...A section of the game is playable, as well as a number of ships such as the MISC Prospector, the Drake Dragonfly, the Aegis Avenger Titan, and the Drake Cutlass Black. In terms of the gameplay areas, you'll have a chance to try out some of what was added in the Alpha 3.2 update including multiplayer support for 50 people simultaneously. Also new to the game in Alpha 3.2 are more armour suits, a Kiosk system that lets you purchase items with in-game currency, and more weapons. You can see the full Alpha 3.2 patch notes here."

Source: usgamer.net

"There's a lot of drama surrounding Star Citizen, from lawsuits to delays, but if you're interested in checking out what the hubbub is all about you can try the latest Star Citizen Alpha this weekend for free."

Source: eurogamer.net

"Controversial space sim Star Citizen is currently free to try on PC, if you fancy taking to the heavens and seeing what development progress has been made in recent times.

Star Citizen's Gamescom Free Fly weekend runs from today, August 24th, to Monday August 27th, and offers access to the game's latest Alpha 3.2 build, as well as dogfighting stage Arena Commander and first-person shooter module Star Marine."

Source: rockpapershotgun.com

"...The game is currently up to version Alpha 3.2, and this page has an overview of what they’ve recently added. Mining, mostly, which I personally have no interest in, but it might be tempting for EVE Online regulars."

Source: pcgamesn.com

"Should you decide to go for a spin, you’ll be able to see the Star Citizen Alpha 3.2 build teased during the PC Gaming show at E3 earlier this year."

Source: mmorpg.com

"...
    While the Alpha version of the game is available to download and play now, Star Citizen is currently in active development with new planets, ships, and features being added as production continues. "

It took me 2 minutes to gather the above info and paste here. Are you really saying that anyone, ever, has been vague about how this game is still in development and not finished? Come on mate. Many of the posts and speculations are about how this game is a vaporware and never will be finished. 

It is fine to hate SC, to think it is trash, to ignore it, to bash the backers for giving away their monies for vaporware. All of that is alright in my book. More power to everyone. 

But to complain why we are given a free demo but didn't receive proper instruction of what it really is--at the age of internet and thousands of posts, articles, pages of information and videos--is just plain ignorance. And I'm not sure how you ended up defending that! :)

We've been arguing about "buyer beware" for a few years now. Now we have to argue about "free demo downloader beware". 
    Go Google EQ Next/Landmarks. Even though thats now been defunct (both titles) for almost 2 years some peopel still think its getting made. Dont underestimate the stupidity of people. Also try and find stuff from 2013 and 2014. The sales pitch for that one as well as the hype were very real. The same white knight arguments were being made for how that game couldnt help but get made (because of mitigating circumstances) as well like people are using for SC at this point.

If this (SC) project had raised 50 million and was 'showcasing' what they had right now as a 'free fly' weekend, the negatives would be a lot more than they are. The ONLY 'argument' the white knights can pull is 'yeah but look at the money'. The white knights for EQ Next and Landmark had MUCH better arguments, first and foremost SoE (when they were running it) had actually RELEASED a game on their own. 

All these arguments and debates devolve into the same thing every time. Which they maybe should but not in the direction or reasons (valid) they do go.

The most pertinent and valid reason any critic has is with Roberts himself and his well documented history. And while the white knights can try and rewrite history all they want the facts are he has been fired or removed from just about every project he has been involved with and the reasons are exactly what is going on now 20 years after he had anything even semi meaningful going on in is 'work' history. Ironically those reasons go to why it "might' not be a complete con job, because the guy has always (supposedly) been a 'visionary' and has always wanted to deliver things not possible no matter how much money you threw at them.

Regardless the guy has never released anything he wasnt FORCED to release and since now no one can force him to do anything the likelihood of a release are slim to none. Other than them releasing whatever it is they have done when the funding stops.
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    edited August 2018
    OP did you really expect a fully working game with no to little problems for $192 million, Are you really that crazy , It's only  $192 million.

I think i will go on Twitch and find that trans woman who streams this game, I went into the stream once but i left because it was so boring, Because there was nothing happening in game from what i could see, But maybe stuff has changed and i might learn something why some people like the game, The streamer seemed pretty nice but the game just seemed so boring. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Although I do have concerns about SC gameplay it did strike me that there has never been an alpha that anyone would call a wonderful game. Otherwise we would all be playing it already. :)
    FrodoFragins
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Right, OP is wrong in so many regards BUT... expecting a game after more than 4 years not being in alpha stage anymore, especially with such a huge budged in their back, is more than realistic; I'd say that's what anyone halfway sane in his mind would consider the most obvious thing!
    This argument makes me cringe! The fact you want and expect that the game would not be in alpha at this time, does not change the game IS in alpha at this time, can't simply manipulate reality to go play SC in Alpha as it is, expecting a finished game experience, it ain't gonna happen.
  • lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229
    79$   That is what I spent.   I spend more on a night out drinking than this.  From now on how about you complainers and everyone else put the amount you have spent on this game so far.  I am really curious as to your motivation for these threads....  Are you skinflints, are you paranoid or just someone who likes to complain.....Be honest....
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    lokiboard said:
    79$   That is what I spent.   I spend more on a night out drinking than this.  From now on how about you complainers and everyone else put the amount you have spent on this game so far.  I am really curious as to your motivation for these threads....  Are you skinflints, are you paranoid or just someone who likes to complain.....Be honest....
    I keep hearing this a lot not just from this game but from others, With people saying i have only spent this much, What about how much the game developers have spent , Kind of puts your $79 to shame, Seeing as they have raised $192 million.

I have spent roughly £300 on LOTRO recently because i have just started playing it, That has plenty of content and i am going to have a guess here but, I think it cost a lot less that $ 192 million, So i'm not skint, I just don't like Sci Fi games to be honest. 

I'm just surprised with how much money they have raised that is was about 3 years ago and $100 million less than what they have raised today, That the game would be fully released by now, Seeing as that was the last time i got involved in one of these threads about SC, How the time flys by so quickly.
    Phaserlight
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    lokiboard said:
    This is not the place to speak about your alcohol problems.
    SlyLoK
  • shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105
    There is a race on between Roberts Industries and NASA. I believe that NASA will get to Mars before the multi millionaire Roberts ships do. Although to be fair NASA's budget is smaller. The backers of the game, Mutli Universe Gamers... or Mugs for short will keep spending, and for every new ship design sold, Chris and his good lady get a new sports car. There are still one or two cars they have yet to purchase, so expect more ships for sale to the mugs.
    Phaserlight
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    shassell said:
    There is a race on between Roberts Industries and NASA. I believe that NASA will get to Mars before the multi millionaire Roberts ships do. Although to be fair NASA's budget is smaller. The backers of the game, Mutli Universe Gamers... or Mugs for short will keep spending, and for every new ship design sold, Chris and his good lady get a new sports car. There are still one or two cars they have yet to purchase, so expect more ships for sale to the mugs.
    NASA won.

Viking 1 lander

20 August 1975

Have fun

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    rodarin said:
    Sovrath said:
    What amount of hand-holding is required in your opinion so people won't get somehow offended over a goddamned free demo? 
    All they need to do is say "pre-alpha, this game is not finished and is still in development."

done.

Anyone who complains after that ... well that's about "them."
    Fair enough. 

Star Citizen Free Fly Weekend announcement and articles

Source: robertsspaceindustries.com

"If you are new here, welcome!  If you're returning after a long absence to check out new changes..." "...To help get you oriented, check out our overview of the game."

Gameplay Guides

Overview of the game

"Star Citizen is in active development. You can download and play Star Citizen Alpha 3.2 now. Additional features and updates will be released as they are developed."

Start Your Journey Today

Source: pcgamer.com 

"...A section of the game is playable, as well as a number of ships such as the MISC Prospector, the Drake Dragonfly, the Aegis Avenger Titan, and the Drake Cutlass Black. In terms of the gameplay areas, you'll have a chance to try out some of what was added in the Alpha 3.2 update including multiplayer support for 50 people simultaneously. Also new to the game in Alpha 3.2 are more armour suits, a Kiosk system that lets you purchase items with in-game currency, and more weapons. You can see the full Alpha 3.2 patch notes here."

Source: usgamer.net

"There's a lot of drama surrounding Star Citizen, from lawsuits to delays, but if you're interested in checking out what the hubbub is all about you can try the latest Star Citizen Alpha this weekend for free."

Source: eurogamer.net

"Controversial space sim Star Citizen is currently free to try on PC, if you fancy taking to the heavens and seeing what development progress has been made in recent times.

Star Citizen's Gamescom Free Fly weekend runs from today, August 24th, to Monday August 27th, and offers access to the game's latest Alpha 3.2 build, as well as dogfighting stage Arena Commander and first-person shooter module Star Marine."

Source: rockpapershotgun.com

"...The game is currently up to version Alpha 3.2, and this page has an overview of what they’ve recently added. Mining, mostly, which I personally have no interest in, but it might be tempting for EVE Online regulars."

Source: pcgamesn.com

"Should you decide to go for a spin, you’ll be able to see the Star Citizen Alpha 3.2 build teased during the PC Gaming show at E3 earlier this year."

Source: mmorpg.com

"...
    While the Alpha version of the game is available to download and play now, Star Citizen is currently in active development with new planets, ships, and features being added as production continues. "

It took me 2 minutes to gather the above info and paste here. Are you really saying that anyone, ever, has been vague about how this game is still in development and not finished? Come on mate. Many of the posts and speculations are about how this game is a vaporware and never will be finished. 

It is fine to hate SC, to think it is trash, to ignore it, to bash the backers for giving away their monies for vaporware. All of that is alright in my book. More power to everyone. 

But to complain why we are given a free demo but didn't receive proper instruction of what it really is--at the age of internet and thousands of posts, articles, pages of information and videos--is just plain ignorance. And I'm not sure how you ended up defending that! :)

We've been arguing about "buyer beware" for a few years now. Now we have to argue about "free demo downloader beware". 
    Go Google EQ Next/Landmarks. Even though thats now been defunct (both titles) for almost 2 years some peopel still think its getting made. Dont underestimate the stupidity of people. Also try and find stuff from 2013 and 2014. The sales pitch for that one as well as the hype were very real. The same white knight arguments were being made for how that game couldnt help but get made (because of mitigating circumstances) as well like people are using for SC at this point.

If this (SC) project had raised 50 million and was 'showcasing' what they had right now as a 'free fly' weekend, the negatives would be a lot more than they are. The ONLY 'argument' the white knights can pull is 'yeah but look at the money'. The white knights for EQ Next and Landmark had MUCH better arguments, first and foremost SoE (when they were running it) had actually RELEASED a game on their own. 

All these arguments and debates devolve into the same thing every time. Which they maybe should but not in the direction or reasons (valid) they do go.

The most pertinent and valid reason any critic has is with Roberts himself and his well documented history. And while the white knights can try and rewrite history all they want the facts are he has been fired or removed from just about every project he has been involved with and the reasons are exactly what is going on now 20 years after he had anything even semi meaningful going on in is 'work' history. Ironically those reasons go to why it "might' not be a complete con job, because the guy has always (supposedly) been a 'visionary' and has always wanted to deliver things not possible no matter how much money you threw at them.

Regardless the guy has never released anything he wasnt FORCED to release and since now no one can force him to do anything the likelihood of a release are slim to none. Other than them releasing whatever it is they have done when the funding stops.
    Sorry mate I am replying to you since you did quote me. It seems like you are making a broad statement which isn't really addressing anything that I have discussed.

My argument was never to defend SC development or Roberts capability. And as I have stated many criticisms are valid. I know people can be stupid or delusional, but that's not what I meant in this case. 

I've only addressed the availability of free demo and how it is a good thing, and how ridiculous the complaints are about the lack of information regarding what that demo is. That would make people lazy and entitled, not stupid. 

Downloading the demo and finding it a piece of trash, then express your opinion about why it is trash is totally fine, more power to you. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    But a 'good' demo doesnt mean anything, and the OP of this post (and other people) all make claims that THIS demo isnt even that good. I would probably agree although I have never played it I have watched enough streams of it. Just like I have never played a lot of games that have come and gone on Twitch recently...i.e. Divinity, No Man Sky,  Monster Hunter, Wreckfest, Cyberpunk (the real FoTW), Raft, HGouse Flippper,  Cuphead (not so recent). But I see enough of them to get an idea of what theyre all about. I did buy Graveyard Keeper and Jurassic World. But not due to Twitch. Also a lot of 'revamped' games coming on strong the past few weeks And getting a lot of Twitch streamer love. But they also all die off fast.

I have played a ton of pre relase games I was around during that 'golden' age when everyone and their brother was making and releasing MMOs there a decade ago. Lotro, Rift, Warhammer, Fallen Earth, the first Conan, Tabula Rasa, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Star Trek, and probably a few I forgot about So I know a lot about what something should and maybe shouldnt 'look' and 'feel' like at different stages of 'development'.

But theyre is still a correlation with pre release and more people playing a 'game' than after an actual release. ARK is the most obvious one. But Warframe, Conan Exiles and a few opther "RP" games had quite a few more players and a lot more streamers in general before they had a full release. Not all obviously but many.

Opinions aside I dont think any 'logical' person can look at what is available now to 'play' during this free fly weekend and know the amount of money raised (not knowing what has actually been spent but having a decent guess maybe) along with the increased number of people working on this project for at least the past 30 months as well as all the side deals and engine re-dos (which was the number one go to card for the white knights when they were defending why it was taking so long) and think that what you see is indicative of the resources that have been poured into this thing over the past few years.

But I am out of my element right now I usually dont get into the Star Citizen jokefest until Oct  and then after they release (or more accurately DONT release stuff they promised during these conventions and hypefests) SO I am a little early. But when its a broken record and people are saying the same things they said 2 and 3 years ago about this then it shows just how little things have really changed.
    rodarin said:
    But I am out of my element right now I usually dont get into the Star Citizen jokefest until Oct  and then after they release (or more accurately DONT release stuff they promised during these conventions and hypefests) SO I am a little early. But when its a broken record and people are saying the same things they said 2 and 3 years ago about this then it shows just how little things have really changed.
    You're in for a disappointment when it comes to your usual hate rants to discredit SC in every way possible then. Citizencon this year highlight will be Alpha 3.3, so I doubt you'll get much to have a go at "oh look how fake all is" when its release is now tied to the conference. ;)

They have optimized this quite well actually, releasing the biggest update of the year with the conference and make it its highlight, syncs their dev resources into the update.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    I still find it a "skeleton" game that leeches money from players. But keep clapping ur littel dirty hands everytime there is a littel airplane released or when they say 3.x is now available.

Space Robert dont fool me !

FrodoFraginsMaxBacon

edited August 2018
    I still find it a "skeleton" game that leeches money from players. But keep clapping ur littel dirty hands everytime there is a littel airplane released or when they say 3.x is now available.

Space Robert dont fool me !

Says the one that hasn't even managed to figure out the game controls. You didn't manage to even liftoff so you didn't get to play the game at all, oh whelp!

Now you're just having a go, the guides were there, I linked them to you, you dodged any response or acknowledgment... hmmm

Instead, you, decide to go on ranting telling us to "wake up" that the game will never release and blah blah blah... //eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.