Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me pick an RPG, please! So many choices!

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a fun, not terribly complex RPG to get on Steam or GOG.  I've been considering Tyranny, BattleTech, Pillars of Eternity 2, and the remastered Bard's Tale (I played 30 years+ ago and loved it, but I'm not sure how it holds up now, even remastered).  Any thoughts on these?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    rertez said:
    I did play that one, but for reasons unknown to me, I couldn't get into it.  I have no idea why.
    [Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Drakensang is one of the best made ,imo .. Better than most , amazing RPG system , not to complex , great story and class choices ...

Dont judge graphics by the Steam vid , dunno why its shit ...

This one is better representation of game ..

blamo2000frostymugYashaX
    Drakensang does look good.

What is KC:D??  LOL, sorry.
    Phry
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    rertez said:
    I did play that one, but for reasons unknown to me, I couldn't get into it.  I have no idea why.
    Oh I see... In case you missed Dragon Age: Origins then I'd recommend that too. It has great story telling with an optional pause on combat decisions so that you can play it as if it was a fully turn based RPG. It's a fairly old game but a true classic.
    Don't bother looking at its sequels since the first game was the best.

Since Pillars of Eternity is already on your list I can recommend that title too if you like to read a lot of fluff in classic RPGs.
    MightyUncleanYashaX
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    On Steam, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic has always been my favorite.  I think it's $10
    Sovrathfrostymug

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    The remastered Bards Tale trilogy is great.  PoE2 is suppose to be great but it's recommended you play PoE first.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for a fun, not terribly complex RPG to get on Steam or GOG.  I've been considering Tyranny, BattleTech, Pillars of Eternity 2, and the remastered Bard's Tale (I played 30 years+ ago and loved it, but I'm not sure how it holds up now, even remastered).  Any thoughts on these?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Tyranny and PoE 2 are similar - but Tyranny has more of a focus on story and choice & consequence.  If you played BT1 30 years ago, you probably are familiar with most crpgs that came around the turn of the century.  In which case I'd recommend Tyranny if you are more of a Fallout 1/2, Arcanum type.  PoE 2 is you are more of a BG 1/2, Kotor type.

BattleTech has a lot of procedural content and missions.  It plays significantly different than a traditional rpg.  If you are more in to squad tactical games with rpg elements (Silent Storm, JA 2, XCOMs), or space ship exploration games with squad tbs combat instead of ship combat I'd recommend this.

Bard's Tale 1 remake is good, and for $15 you also will get 2 and 3 when they release, but the there are much better recent blobbers that will give you a lot more.  For instance - Might & Magic 10 and Grimoire.

As a side recommendation have you checked out Underrail?  It is different from the above in that you have a single character.  This is a FO 1/2 clone in an dystopian underground world with excellent rpg systems, chardev, combat, etc, that is an absolutely fantastic game.  I cannot recommend it highly enough.  
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

blamo2000 said:
    Hey guys,

Thanks!
    Tyranny and PoE 2 are similar - but Tyranny has more of a focus on story and choice & consequence.  If you played BT1 30 years ago, you probably are familiar with most crpgs that came around the turn of the century.  In which case I'd recommend Tyranny if you are more of a Fallout 1/2, Arcanum type.  PoE 2 is you are more of a BG 1/2, Kotor type.

BattleTech has a lot of procedural content and missions.  It plays significantly different than a traditional rpg.  If you are more in to squad tactical games with rpg elements (Silent Storm, JA 2, XCOMs), or space ship exploration games with squad tbs combat instead of ship combat I'd recommend this.

Bard's Tale 1 remake is good, and for $15 you also will get 2 and 3 when they release, but the there are much better recent blobbers that will give you a lot more.  For instance - Might & Magic 10 and Grimoire.

As a side recommendation have you checked out Underrail?  It is different from the above in that you have a single character.  This is a FO 1/2 clone in an dystopian underground world with excellent rpg systems, chardev, combat, etc, that is an absolutely fantastic game.  I cannot recommend it highly enough.  
    Thanks, guys, for all the help!

Which Grimoire title are you talking about, blamo?  There's a few on Steam.  I'm checking out Underrail now.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Grimoire is not a good recomendation .. Maybe down the road after Cleve gets the inventory mangement working and Manual out .. A good game yes but overly complicated cumbersome and complex .. I would hold off a bit .. But wishlist plz ..
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    If you're not worried about graphics and want interesting party composition and depth try Wizardy 8.
    frostymug

Graphics aren't a huge concern.  =)
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'm guessing you've already played them but just in case.. all three Witcher games are a must for all RPG fans. So is Dragon Age 1. So are Mass Effect 1-3.

If you haven't played all of those I recommend you seriously consider them.

Divinity 2: Developer's Cut is also a great game and there's nothing else like it (it had issues before the re-releases but you don't need to worry about that now). This is not the same game as Divinity: Original Sin 2.
    frostymugYashaXPhry
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is also an excellent and unique game.
    YashaXPhry
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    If you're not worried about graphics and want interesting party composition and depth try Wizardy 8.
    Great game but where can you even get it in 2018?
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Of those you listed, I recommend Tyranny for sure.  It's a little shorter than PoE (which it shares some similarities), but the choices matter, and it has high replay value as a result.  I always got bogged down in PoE, but that never happened in Tyranny.

Some you didn't list, NWN2 is worth a playthrough if for no other reason than its mod value.  It even has a complete mod out for Baldur's Gate 1.  Speaking of which, the BG1 and BG2 remasters are good too.  If Bioware's old RPGs are more your style (they are mine) then KOTOR 1 and 2 are must plays, and both respond well to graphical mods and retextures.  The Mass Effect trilogy is also great if you've never played them.

If the JRPG genre is more your style, then Steam has most of the Final Fantasies including the XV PC release as well as Chrono Trigger.  Dragon Quest XI comes out on Sep 4, and I intend to pick it up.  Ni No Kuni II is one of my recent plays, and I enjoyed it, although the difficulty could use a tweak.  I've also heard the Ys series is good, but I've never played any of those.
    frostymug

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    GOG:

https://www.gog.com/game/wizardry_8

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    edited August 2018
    Both steam and GoG.  

I disagree on the other commenter's take on Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar.  The controls and inventory are easy to figure out and use.  Its a great Wizardry 7 clone.  The V2 is supposed to be coming out very soon though, which is supposed to include a more traditional inventory screen.  I do agree it would be better to hold off until V2 since it will come with a sale and reduced price and some other important updates like crafting besides the improved inventory.

But if you really never played Wizardry 8 - that is more my time of game.  There are good mods that make it even better.  One bit of advice though - even if you play vanilla look into the Wiz8fast utility, or another that speeds up animations/combat.

Since I reread and saw you are asking for other recommendations I will list some more.  And since all the ones you listed in the OP have full character generation and no pre-generated protagonists, I will skip the ones that do have that since I personally don't like them either.

Wasteland 2 DC - great party based post-apoc game.  One of the best crpgs in the last 20 eyars in my opinion.  Tons of content, decent chargen and dev, decent combat, has everything.

Torment - Tides of Numasomething - Like PoE but instead of a BG update it is a Planescape Torment update.  A lot of PST fans did not like it though.  Very story and text heavy.

Shadowrun Returns (three different ones) - By the same guys that made BattleTech.  Great games for what they are.  Simple and not complex.  Lots of mods available for each version too (but not really the last one).

Halcyon 6 - This is hard to describe but is sort of a mix of Space Rangers 2 and XCom - base building, ship customization, both ground and ship combat.  Not really my thing, but may interest you if BattleTech does.  And is much cheaper.

Star Traders Frontiers - Hard to explain or put in a genre - but is a cheaper BattleTech type game with ship combat instead of Mech combat.  Similar procedural missions and factions.

HeroU - Rogue to Redemption - if you were playing rpgs when BT1 came out your probably heard of the Quest for Glory series.  This game is by the devs of that series, with a different/take focus.  Great adventure/rpg hybrid.  For two others in the more traditional vein of QfG you have Heroine's Quest (free, and really well done) and Quest for Infamy (reasonably priced, liter rpg system compared to Heroine's Quest).

For simple/not complex games with very lite rpg elements that are popular there are a couple reasonably priced options - Darkest Dungeons and Battle Brothers.  Both have disposable units instead of anything like characters or a real party - but, again, both of these are far more popular than the rpgs you listed so you may want to check out their steam page and see if it would scratch whatever you are itching for.

Scotfrostymug
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Elex, Battle Chasers, Vampyr, Exanima, NWN:EE , 
    The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians 
    If I could I would Agree and Awesome you at the same time. Excellent list of alternative titles!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Everyone beat me to saying Steam and GoG have it, lol.  I have the original box and all having bought it so so long ago.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kingdom Come has patched most of their problems away and it's a solid RPG with around 150hr of gameplay. It's a very different game compared to what you have listed. But it is an RPG in every sense.
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210
    edited August 2018
    If you're not looking turnbased and isometric game id suggest Elex as before mentioned. It has great hand crafted world and lots of options. Also it can get pretty challenging at times. Im over 60h in and havent finished it yet! 

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

Kingdom Come has patched most of their problems away and it's a solid RPG with around 150hr of gameplay. It's a very different game compared to what you have listed. But it is an RPG in every sense.
    That game does look interesting, but is the combat very challenging?  Fast-paced and twitchy?  I'm old and slow.  =)
  • berenimberenim Member UncommonPosts: 162
     If Hack&Slay RPG is your cup of tea I ad Grim Dawn to the frey and Titan Quest. Both on gog and both let you combine classes to fit your playstyle. If you can dig into old games you can get a lot of AD&D RPGs on gog, like Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Hack, Dark Sun or Pool of Radiance. Or even Star Flight. But those are old. But I liked them back then, just like the whole Ultima Series.

You already said you didn't get into the Divinity Series (where Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the latest. Started off with Divine Divinity, which was isometric hack and slash style). Older games: Arcanum was nice, too. Steampunk and you had to decide if to go with magic or tech. 

As you can guess form my recommendations, I'm no youngster, too. :D
    frostymugbartoni33