Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There was just a shooting at the Madden NFL 19 stream of the tournament in Jacksonville

Comments

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Tamanous said:
    ScotchUp said:
    There is a lot more to how kids are being raised than dealing with guns or making laws against or for them. Many feel it is the break down of the family which is causing the problems we are having today. 
    Then exploring the breakdown of the family unit needs to be explored. This is also a long term process, and ignoring the current state of culture while planning events on "hopes and dreams" that disasters will not occur is naive.

Very likely not a single one of you will do anything productive toward making long term cultural changes to mitigate events like this one. Every single one of you however, can immediately impact how public events are planned and controlled by being vigilant, communicating and even participating in their planning and operation directly.

I try and work with my local Governments and yes my Federal Governments. Yet, all they do is have committees that cost the taxpayers money and in a few months you never really hear anything from them. So, in the end, all I can do is keep voting these suckers out and try to vote someone in that really does give a shit and will pass laws that actually work.

Term limits and getting rid of lobbyists are the two big things we could remove that would help. Also, these BS pensions for life need to be removed and these politicians need to go back to their old jobs, instead of getting handouts for the rest of their life.

I mean really how does someone who is paid 100K to 300K a year end up being a millionaire in just a few short years? Lobbyists who pay for their votes and they aren't even citizens of the USA. It really is sicking.
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:koo
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:
    So sad and I think it says more about the state of our society than it does anything about gun control. You can't take losing a video game so you kill people? That's about as mental as it gets. The only way this should be a gun control issue is if this person should never have been legally sold a firearm. Otherwise this is all mental/social. 
    Cultural changes aside, the business should have had a weapon check system in place and likely controlled access to players far better. It sounds like this was taken all too casually. Several immediate planning options could have mitigated or stopped this.
    It was at an open air mall.  On a weekend.  Nothing says don't shop here quite like searching family's for guns.  How were they supposed to know some asshole would show up and start killing people.  
    Early reports say it was a competitor IN the game tourny. 

You can ALWAYS control access to something by first choosing where something is held to begin with.

Making excuses for failed vigilance is the first proof of incompetence.
    So theres no way dude could have run out to his car.  I apologize for.my ignorance.
    as much as i love reading the don't blame the guns it a random act of uncontrollable violence what could " we " have done to stop it.....

guns should not be a Americana ( or anyone's ) right, they are a tool to kill end of story. they should be judge an treated as such, not praised as trophy's too earn, to play with, to collect.

i don't care if their a way  to gain and buy 100 guns per person BUT it should be a lot of red tape traceable and highly punished in any form regardless why events happen evolving said guns.

or we can keep posting on random sites every time it happens how that life, shit happens, buy a gun an defend yourselves if you don't like it since a guns freedom is worth more then your life....

El-HefecmacqSiphaed

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:
    So sad and I think it says more about the state of our society than it does anything about gun control. You can't take losing a video game so you kill people? That's about as mental as it gets. The only way this should be a gun control issue is if this person should never have been legally sold a firearm. Otherwise this is all mental/social. 
    Cultural changes aside, the business should have had a weapon check system in place and likely controlled access to players far better. It sounds like this was taken all too casually. Several immediate planning options could have mitigated or stopped this.

The organizers are very likely going to face several lawsuits over failing to provide a safe environment and rightly so if they cannot prove they had planned for even less extreme incidents.
    Why should they have had a weapons check system in place? Do video game tournaments have a history of gun viloence?

We tend to be reactive, not proactive, so going forward some game tourneys will most likely implement weapons checks, and then the crazies will go shoot up a spelling bee tourney or something.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited August 2018
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:ooo
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:
    It was at an open air mall.  On a weekend.  Nothing says don't shop here quite like searching family's for guns.  How were they supposed to know some asshole would show up and start killing people.  

You can ALWAYS control access to something by first choosing where something is held to begin with.

So theres no way dude could have run out to his car.  I apologize for.my ignorance.
    More excuses. Please never be part of planning events. You clearly consciously leave loopholes for disaster scenarios to occur. 
    I don't want to live my life walking on eggshells.
    Oh good grief. I don't speak of fear. I speak of planning. That mitigates fear. It is responsibility, an attribute of those who participate in governance allowing people like yourself to continue a life of entitlement and ignorance.

The reason why entitlement exists is because a framework through social responsibility was constructed for societal benefit. What you are literally claiming is the right to benefit from the blood and sweat of others while contributing nothing in return.

If is the lack of effort that breeds fear. Sort of why the word "vigilance" exists.
    Kyleran

You stay sassy!

jimmywolf said:
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:

as much as i love reading the don't blame the guns it a random act of uncontrollable violence what could " we " have done to stop it.....

guns should not be a Americana ( or anyone's ) right, they are a tool to kill end of story. they should be judge an treated as such, not praised as trophy's too earn, to play with, to collect.

i don't care if their a way  to gain and buy 100 guns per person BUT it should be a lot of red tape traceable and highly punished in any form regardless why events happen evolving said guns.

or we can keep posting on random sites every time it happens how that life, shit happens, buy a gun an defend yourselves if you don't like it since a guns freedom is worth more then your life....

You need to read up on the history of Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Che, once they took the guns millions were murdered. Taking the guns have never been the answer.
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited August 2018
    All I see is excuses to try to justify a reality of the US when it comes to deadly shootings statistics that does not reproduce all over the world, from Europe, to Canada, etc... The fault is everything but the gun policies some insist.

America seriously will end up as a country where the only way people won't live in fear, is by being armed at all times.
    cmacqKyleran
    MaxBacon said:
    All I see is excuses to try to justify a reality of the US when it comes to shootings that does not reproduce all over the world, from Europe, to Canada, etc... The fault is of everyone but the gun policies.

America seriously will end up as a country where the only way people won't live in fear, is by being armed at all times.
    Read above, you are wrong. LOL, Again.
    Kyleran
    George Carlin
    ScotchUp said:
    I have my opinion, I live in a country where we don't have anywhere near the problems the US has with gun violence, so I sure will never defend the policy US has, it does not translate to anything good as the statistics show when comparing to countries with strict policies.
    Siphaed
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    Tamanous said:
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:

More excuses. Please never be part of planning events. You clearly consciously leave loopholes for disaster scenarios to occur. 
    Oh good grief. I don't speak of fear. I speak of planning. That mitigates fear. It is responsibility, an attribute of those who participate in governance allowing people like yourself to continue a life of entitlement and ignorance.

The reason why entitlement exists is because a framework through social responsibility was constructed for societal benefit. What you are literally claiming is the right to benefit from the blood and sweat of others while contributing nothing in return.

If is the lack of effort that breeds fear. Sort of why the word "vigilance" exists.
    It seems you're just assuming I'm pro guns.  I'm not.  I hope gun laws change very quickly.  They should be harder for everyone to get.  I was just saying there doesn't seem to be much the mall could have done.  Any public space is at risk at anytime of a shooting.  I don't think we should cower in fear over the "What if" of a shooting or a bombing.  We have to continue to live our lives.  And dwelling on bad things that could possibly happen  is a wasted thought.  Something bad could happen anywhere at anytime.  If you want to live in a police state more power to you.  I personally like my freedoms.  

I've got the straight edge.

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    edited August 2018
    ScotchUp said:
    MaxBacon said:
    All I see is excuses to try to justify a reality of the US when it comes to shootings that does not reproduce all over the world, from Europe, to Canada, etc... The fault is of everyone but the gun policies.

No he's not and this is one of the saddest threads I have ever read on a video game forum. Not only because of the shootings but because the lot of you defending your "right' to bear arms. The gun manufacturers who control a lot of your government just love reading threads like this. There is a very simple reason why the stats on shootings are so high in the US yet people like you continue to ignore those. It's simple - guns kill people and America proves it over and over again. /rant 
    Siphaed
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited August 2018
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:

It seems you're just assuming I'm pro guns.  I'm not.  I hope gun laws change very quickly.  They should be harder for everyone to get.  I was just saying there doesn't seem to be much the mall could have done.  Any public space is at risk at anytime of a shooting.  I don't think we should cower in fear over the "What if" of a shooting or a bombing.  We have to continue to live our lives.  And dwelling on bad things that could possibly happen  is a wasted thought.  Something bad could happen anywhere at anytime.  If you want to live in a police state more power to you.  I personally like my freedoms.  
    I speak nothing of anyone being pro or against guns. I speak of being educated to current cultural norms and being proactive and responsible.

I do not speak of policing. The entirety of my statements are within the civilian planning domain. 

Your freedoms derive entirely from entitlement (you may wish to look up the legal definition of the word. There seems to be confusion on your part). That is the definition of a free society. Freedom is not derived from chaos.

Every single thing I have said is the basis for the construction of a free society.

You stay sassy!

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    edited August 2018
    Tamanous said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:

I speak nothing of anyone being pro or against guns. I speak of being educated to current cultural norms and being proactive and responsible.

I do not speak of policing. The entirety of my statements are within the civilian planning domain. 

Your freedoms derive entirely from entitlement (you may wish to look up the legal definition of the word. There seems to be confusion on your part). That is the definition of a free society. Freedom is not derived from chaos.
    Yes.  The US Constitution entitles people to certain rights.  As one of 600 million or so citezens of the country that makes me one of those entitled.  Although felons,  like the soon to be shooter in this situation get those right revoked.
    Siphaed

I've got the straight edge.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    As a Swede i am glad we never culturally developed such a fetishistic relationship with firearms. Or at least that we have yet to... 

But following that what sort of chickenshit refuse of a human decide to pull a trigger but lack the common decency to let justice have due course. If you lack the conviction to stand trial for using a gun... You should not be given the right to carry one. 

Now for the good ol US of A... It is way to late, your culture is so steeped in gun romance and totemic behavior (not to mention the number of actual guns in illegal circulation)  that i actually believe the people who say that it is nigh impossible to get rid of the guns. 

Peace be with the victims and their families. 

This have been a good conversation

• RedecRedec Member UncommonPosts: 43
    edited August 2018
    Tamanous said:
    Redec said:
    We made cocaine, heroin, and many other drugs illegal. Yet it's still used by so many. And lets not forget...murder is illegal. I think I will keep my guns to protect my family and myself from the likes of the people being raised with little to no morals.
    Do you carry your guns to movie theatres, restaurants, schools, work, etc?

Are you the low percentage of people who carry guns that actually use their guns during a terror event? It's funny how every says they would ... yet stats prove otherwise.

If every single person in America wore a gun 24/7 there would only be an escalation of violence. You don't get to ignore retaliation as a statistic. 

Statistics are amazing. They prove trends yet personal opinion trumps logic so propaganda will forever be a vastly superior tool over common sense. This is also a proven statistic.
    Yes, I carry a gun everywhere. My wife and I have a carry permit. I do not go to places that put no gun signs up. My dad is retired police and military. He taught me at a young age people suck. He encouraged me to get my permit right when I turned 21. I am 41 now and lucky have never had to shoot anyone. And these statistics you talk about....LOL 87% of all statistics are made up. Most altercations deterred by a person with a firearm is not report on the news. Why would they, it goes against the anti-gun agenda you seemingly want to push.
    ScotchUp
    MaxBacon said:
    ScotchUp said:
    I have my opinion, I live in a country where we don't have anywhere near the problems the US has with gun violence, so I sure will never defend the policy US has, it does not translate to anything good as the statistics show when comparing to countries with strict policies.
    Can you elaborate a little more, country, laws they have, the rights you have? You are leaving out a lot of information. Sadly you tend to do that in a lot of your posts. 
    George Carlin
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    ScotchUp said:
    jimmywolf said:
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:

You need to read up on the history of Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Che, once they took the guns millions were murdered. Taking the guns have never been the answer.
    Americans with their guns will do nothing to stand up to the government's military.  We're blowing terrorists up halfway around the world with unmanned drones.  No citizen group stands a chance should the government decide to quell the uprising by any means necessary.

The idea that we have guns to protect ourselves from tyrannical government is a myth, and has been since the military started flying jets and driving tanks.
    tawess[Deleted User]

Exactly, yet the stats for murder plus guns is very low in America compared to any other country.

But every time this happens people always ignore the facts of how history has shown the murder rate is higher in countries where guns are banned. Exactly why the history of Hitler, Mao, and so on is always ignored, just like in this thread. Taking the guns is not the answer, never has been. Break down of family values and break up of families is statically shows that causes the problems with murder than guns. The problem of not having jobs for people and wages way down. Heck Venezuela shows that today. 
    Redeccmacq
    George Carlin
    edited August 2018
    ScotchUp said:
    Can you elaborate a little more, country, laws they have, the rights you have? You are leaving out a lot of information. Sadly you tend to do that in a lot of your posts. 
    Typical European country, gun laws rather strict, can't carry around, EU is overall homogeneous on this.

DMKano said:'
    Also not to sound cold but 16,000 gun related deaths per year in a country of 300 million is not nearly as bad as it could be. I am honestly amazed that the number is not in the 100,000+
    It sounds little but it's worse than Mexico, on the level of Brazil, Colombia, etc... (this on gun-related deaths per 100k citizens) Those are statistics that shame the US because it's literally the only considered developed country in a list of undeveloped countries. If that isn't a hint something is seriously wrong, then idk.
    ScotchUp said:
    jimmywolf said:
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:

Americans with their guns will do nothing to stand up to the government's military.  We're blowing terrorists up halfway around the world with unmanned drones.  No citizen group stands a chance should the government decide to quell the uprising by any means necessary.

The idea that we have guns to protect ourselves from tyrannical government is a myth, and has been since the military started flying jets and driving tanks.
    My argument to that is very simple. Patriots that enlist in the military are the families that believe in the Constitution, my bet will be on those not attacking Americans but defending them. Which is why the UN is never allowed to control any military in the United States. 

That has always been a very week argument and really unbelievable to actually happen.
    George Carlin
    edited August 2018
    ScotchUp said:
    jimmywolf said:
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:

Tell that to the NVA or more recently the Nevada cattle ranchers. 

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
    [Deleted User]
    edited August 2018
    ScotchUp said:
    ScotchUp said:
    jimmywolf said:
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:

My argument to that is very simple. Patriots that enlist in the military are the families that believe in the Constitution, my bet will be on those not attacking Americans but defending them. Which is why the UN is never allowed to control any military in the United States. 

That has always been a very week argument and really unbelievable to actually happen.
    As unbelievable as a citizen group putting up any kind of real resistance to the government.  You're pre-supposing the decisions of thousands of servicemembers and the Generals they serve under to make your argument.  Even if some of them desert, the military could mount an effective domestic defense with only part of the manpower.  The inequity of power doesn't lie with the numbers, but with the equipment.

An F22 is useless without the government facilities and funding to keep it operational, as well as the expertise needed to pilot and maintain it.  The idea a rebel civilian group both takes the facilities necessary and recruits the experts necessary to turn the most advanced war-making tools in the world against our own government is slim to none.  As such, the idea we can effectively resist them through force is also slim to none.
    [Deleted User]

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Redec said:

Tell that to the NVA or more recently the Nevada cattle ranchers
    I was unaware that the US gov was trying to apply tyrannical rule to Nevada... Unlawfully that is... 
    Redec

This have been a good conversation

Redec said:
    ScotchUp said:
    jimmywolf said:
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:

Tell that to the NVA or more recently the Nevada cattle ranchers. 

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
    The example does nothing to prove your point.
    [Deleted User]

edited August 2018
    tawess said:
    Redec said:

Tell that to the NVA or more recently the Nevada cattle ranchers
    I was unaware that the US gov was trying to apply tyrannical rule to Nevada... Unlawfully that is... 
    His argument was US citizens have no chance to stand up the the US gov, but I assume you knew that.
    [Deleted User]
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Tamanous said:
    ScotchUp said:
    While I do not support the NRA because they are too political, I do support everyone's right to arm and defend themselves.  All you have to do is look at Chicago and see what happens when you take away the guns from law abiding citizens.  I live in a town where we have 1.4 million people where the typical response time to a 911 call is 42 minutes.  The county sheriff here warns everyone to do what they need to do to protect themselves because the police services are stretched too thin.

Is it a sad event that happened in Jacksonville?  Absolutely.  Does it mean we need a knee jerk reaction to ban guns?  Absolutely  not.  Bad things happen to good people.  You punish the criminal(s) involved.  You don't punish the masses because of it.

That is like taking away everyone else's vehicles because someone intentionally drives into a crowd and murders a bunch of people.  The reaction just does not make sense.  
    I could not agree more and there are a lot of facts to back up every word you said.
    Except every country on the planet that has stricter gun laws have fewer incidents like this. Often a single digit percentage of American gun violence stats.

The reason you have gun violence at these levels is because you have a gun culture. Stats prove this and any denial is delusion through propaganda. What makes propaganda so effective is that the citizens saturated by it rarely are able to see it as it shapes their perception, blinding them of statistically proven alternatives.

BTW, I do not feel that gun laws alone solves everything. It is a cross section of many cultural changes that is required to diminish this sort of outburst.
    No the reason gun violence is so high is because America has a crime culture. the 3 leading causes of gun violence are suicide then crime and drug related shootings. in fact some of the areas with the strictest gun controls like Chicago, New York and Washington DC have some of the highest gun violence rates in the country. Even looking at state gun ownership rate per capita  vs gun murder per capita shows almost no correlation between ownership and violence. Know what does? poverty and crime....want know what also correlates world wide with these statistics?...poverty and crime. 3rd world countries almost unilaterally have gun violence problems.

Now im all for some stricter gun control because I do believe their are a lot of loopholes that can be closed and other areas that can be improved.

but the idea that attempting to take guns away is going to magically solve the problem is ludicrous.
    [Deleted User]Lokerocmacq
This discussion has been closed.