Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caspien to his players: Stop Pouting. Stop complaining

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Seriously-  This guy never learns.  He made a ridiculous web game/store tie-in for his "event" and gets mad when players do not play the way he wants them to.  He even tells them steps he wants them to take to "win" the event but some of them refuse to do so as they just want to play/experience it on their own.

So some of the players have been complaining about the Pay 2 Cure nature, that others have different goals, and that they are not enjoying the event.  His response is to "Stop pouting. Stop complaining"

Doesn't he understand that in an MMORPG people want to play their OWN parts? Not some pre-assigned slot where they click this button at that time as part of his orchestra?

Comments like this don't exactly help either:

I'm not sure he understands the difference between making an interactive MMORPG where players create their own story and writing a novel where the author dictates the actions 100%.   It's like he is a first-time GM/DM that is shocked that his adventuring party chose not to walk down the hall where he had this great encounter setup.  How many times does he need to be shown that people don't all want to follow his script?  

If he doesn't learn this lesson FAST it's going to be an utter disaster when the actual game starts and people can FFA PvP and loot other players. Especially in a game where getting killed actually costs you the game-time you purchased for real money and make your character perma-die.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

craftseekerYashaXGdemami

Comments

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    So far he's been nothing but rewarded for making up tons of promises with nothing to back them up so it's logical that he'd continue to perhaps justifiably assume that his backers are all willfull puppet sheep.
    Iselin[Deleted User]craftseekerMrMelGibsonYashaX
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Every time the guy speaks, it's like another car slamming full-speed into the freeway pile-up.

But, it's so fascinatingly horrible that we can never look away. 

Never look away!
    Slapshot1188KyleranMendel[Deleted User]GaendriccraftseekerMrMelGibsonWellspring
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Everything about COE reads like "Adventures in S&M MMO development." :)
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]craftseekerScot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited August 2018
    Lokero said:
    Every time the guy speaks, it's like another car slamming full-speed into the freeway pile-up.

But, it's so fascinatingly horrible that we can never look away. 

Never look away!
    Indeed.   I do not even think that he even realizes that people are using this event to simply create a closet of free (griefing?) accounts.  Now that most groups have "cured" the people on their list they have nothing to do.  They can "fight the plague" or they can generate a ridiculous amount of free accounts.  Guy on Discord today was talking about how he was 1/2way to his 5th account and that he now was self-sufficient and able to create an account every 2 days. 

I only have one that was generated for me by Dleatherus's Kingdom, but it is clear that many have figured out how to game the system to a ridiculous degree.  If I had actually paid for an account and witnessed this trainwreck I would be utterly livid that the guy behind it would say crap like "Stop pouting".
    As a guy with a psychology background, he should have known that when giving strangers a choice between affecting an intangible "cure bar" for a made-up event, or generating free $45 accounts... it's going to be an easy choice.
    Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    His comparison to an orchestra is weird. If we are an orchestra, than we don't have our sheet music.  Granted there are also too many individuals trying to tell people the best way to play.  But everyone is simply trying to expand their own realm.  This has been a really poorly thought out event.  And again worries me that Caspian is setting up CoE with the intent that people will act how he assumes. And people don't do that.

Slapshot1188Mendel[Deleted User][Deleted User]bartoni33
    Interitus said:
    His comparison to an orchestra is weird. If we are an orchestra, than we don't have our sheet music.  Granted there are also too many individuals trying to tell people the best way to play.  But everyone is simply trying to expand their own realm.  This has been a really poorly thought out event.  And again worries me that Caspian is setting up CoE with the intent that people will act how he assumes. And people don't do that.

Not only that, but this all flies in the face of how he positioned CoE in the first place.   There should not be a "win".  That was his whole argument about Pay 2 Win.   What is a win for one person is meaningless to another.

Again, everything here reaks of amateurness, inexperience, and outright incompetence. 

There is a reason they miss their milestone delivery dates by years.   It's all related.

Maybe, instead of sending people out to shut down dissent, and telling his customers they should "stop pouting" he should actually acknowledge his fuck-ups.

Gdemami

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    This really is priceless.  Trying to tell MMORPG players the 'right way' to play the game is a hoot.  Gamers are prone to finding the quickest way to achieve a goal, and maximizing their return on time spent.  The best part is if (and when (but mostly if)) this game ever launches, we will get to see a trainwreck of epic proportions.  And one lead developer trying to tell everyone "nobles wouldn't do that" and "that's not how you're supposed to craft".  It should be a mirthful time in our future.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited August 2018
    "You're doing it wrong." Was the cry of the GW2 fanboys back in 2012 when that game didn't live up to the Manifesto.  It will be no different for COE.

Even if this game can make it through development, what does this tell you about what it will be as a completed project? If this game is the Draconian MMO now, it's not going to change.

So once again, I am convinced of 2 possible outcomes. 
    1.  The project will be canceled before anything in a playable state is created.
    2. If by some miracle, there is a release, it will not resemble, in any way, the promised product.
    Slapshot1188Gdemami
    Mendel said:
    This really is priceless.  Trying to tell MMORPG players the 'right way' to play the game is a hoot.  Gamers are prone to finding the quickest way to achieve a goal, and maximizing their return on time spent.  The best part is if (and when (but mostly if)) this game ever launches, we will get to see a trainwreck of epic proportions.  And one lead developer trying to tell everyone "nobles wouldn't do that" and "that's not how you're supposed to craft".  It should be a mirthful time in our future.

He is actually going so far as to tell them exactly what to do each day:

It's just so sad to watch...

Snipehunter their designer recently had this to say on their forums:

There are basically three types of GMs. (and yes, I know fellow GMs, I am grossly simplifying, but bear with me) The first is the GM that simply follows the rules. They see their role as something akin to a referee; they offer a scenario to the players and then let the players dictate what happens from there, with complete agency. The second is a storyteller that has a very specific story to tell. This type of GM believes their role is to narrate the adventure, steering the course of events so precisely that players often feel they have no agency at all. The third, and most common, is a hybrid of the previous two. This type of GM prepares the key and important moments of a story, but it’s a scaffolding or framework around which the players create the rest of the tale with their action; both players and GM have agency.

I guess he left out the fourth type of GM.  The type that expects his players to do exactly what he wants but makes rules that let them wander, gets mad when they play it "wrong", and then resorts to telling them each step they should take to play the game the right way.

[Deleted User]Gdemami

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Umnm what is the point of the Plague/Pure thing anyway? 

So what if the Plague reaches 100% ?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Ungood said:

they stop making the game for a lack of funding?

:o
    Slapshot1188ScorchienFrodoFraginsAnOldFart[Deleted User]anemo

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Ungood said:

If the Plague wins there will be a plagued biome which will make the game harder.  It is also another biome that has to be created and added to the game.  Exactly what a game that is years behind schedule needs.  

Directly from the FAQ:

• Q. What happens if we fail to find a cure?
      If the Outbreak bar reaches 100% before the Cure bar, each server's world will be scarred by a plaguelands biome, and the searing plague will rear its ugly head more frequently, as well.
    [Deleted User]bartoni33anemoGdemami

Ungood said:

If the Plague wins there will be a plagued biome which will make the game harder.  It is also another biome that has to be created and added to the game.  Exactly what a game that is years behind schedule needs.  

Directly from the FAQ:

If the Outbreak bar reaches 100% before the Cure bar, each server's world will be scarred by a plaguelands biome, and the searing plague will rear its ugly head more frequently, as well.
    And the Advantage of a 100% pure event?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Directly from the FAQ:

Dude it’s literally right on the event page.  

• Q. What happens if we do find a cure?
      If the Cure bar reaches 100% before the Outbreak bar, each player will gain a title, "plagueborn," they can apply to one of their characters. The character that carries this title will be resistant the Searing Plague and that resistance will be passed on to their children.
    [Deleted User]bartoni33

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Directly from the FAQ:

Dude it’s literally right on the event page.  

• Q. What happens if we do find a cure?
      If the Cure bar reaches 100% before the Outbreak bar, each player will gain a title, "plagueborn," they can apply to one of their characters. The character that carries this title will be resistant the Searing Plague and that resistance will be passed on to their children.
    You mistake me for someone that is involved with this like it matters.

Anyway.. lets see.. a Title for a select few People and immunity for one character (in a game where players will have several).. vs a Whole new Biome.. and he ...legit... wonders why the Plague is winning?
    AnOldFartbartoni33anemo

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Ungood said:

Directly from the FAQ:

I dunno, I'd want the plague to win if I was playing.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    The sad part is, some folks actually like his approach.  It's true.  There was a time when I looked forward to this game.  That ship sailed.  There are too many other games out there to pick from to be treated the way this guy treats the CoE community.
    WoW exactly the same thoughts as me... 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited August 2018
    It is the antithesis of how GMing in a MMO should be done, you set up a situation, introduce it and leave the players to work it out themselves. That's why the bar for completion as a world event should be low. Only a few need to complete the task, and only a few can, going online to find out how to do it is of little use when it is already done. The rewards need to reflect this a title and some gold, not an ever lasting buff.

The other way is what we see so much of, a posted list of objectives and how to achieve them, not a GM event at all. What Caspian seems to be trying to do is combine these two approaches which just creates a muddle. Adding a Pay to Win element just points out where this MMO is going wrong.
    Slapshot1188
    Ungood said:

Directly from the FAQ:

Yes, and the community was shocked when a faction announced they were pro-plague and started actively working to help it along.
    Kyleran

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ungood said:

Directly from the FAQ:

Yes, and the community was shocked when a faction announced they were pro-plague and started actively working to help it along.
    As shocked as they'll be when one of the whales that's bought in heavily during development decides to dedicate his "kingdom" to make the rest of the kingdoms' lives miserable for shits and gigs.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I'm kind of confused: was this an in game event, where people were actually playing an early version of the game? If so what was the event like, other than people pouting??? Was there combat, mobs, adventure ... you know any of the gamey stuff? How did you make the plague cure bars go up and down? 

Anyway, I thought they were making a minecraft version of the game first to test out the systems, is that still happening?
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    He sounds like a dolt. 
    Ungoodcraftseekercheyane
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited August 2018
    YashaX said:
    I'm kind of confused: was this an in game event, where people were actually playing an early version of the game? If so what was the event like, other than people pouting??? Was there combat, mobs, adventure ... you know any of the gamey stuff? How did you make the plague cure bars go up and down? 

Anyway, I thought they were making a minecraft version of the game first to test out the systems, is that still happening?
    It's a "game" entirely played using the power of text and IMAGINATION.  ...and money. (kinda like Chronicles of Elyria's actual development, itself)

(so, no, not an in-game event. There isn't even a pre-pre-puri-puri-prisoner-alpha right now)
    NildenKylerancraftseekerScot
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Ungood said:

Directly from the FAQ:

The short term plague in WOW was a fun event that annoyed a lot of the community.  We can't have fun and different things in MMOs because nobody wants to be inconvenienced.
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Reminds me of this:

NildenAmathecheyaneUngoodrojoArcueidcraftseekerScotRatero