Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What a horrible game !

Comments

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Cautionary tale that no one ever mentions...Everquest Next and Landmark. I guess people forgot how much Sony stole from people with that bullshit, and its small potatoes to whats going on with Roberts and company.

Eerily similar outline also. Promise something with a 'kickstar or start up 'package' redo it and 'release' a whole other title and claim thats going to be the 'blueprint'/precursor to the 'actual' game all the while continuing to sell packages.

Throw up a bunch of crap servers and let a few of the simpletons who dont realize its vaporware to go in and see how 'awesome' it is. In fact I think Landmark was probably more 'playable' and stable than SC is.

They also had 'regular' updates and a plan for the future and all the stuff everyone sells people who want to believe in a dream.

If your memory is bad or you never heard of it Google is your friend. Look at the 'story line' of the rise and fall of that project and how they made changes and see how closely SC, Star  Marine, and SQ 42 is to it.

Only difference is the money for that project stopped and what happened?
    maskedweasel
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited August 2018
    I don't think that's entirely accurate.  Some games talk about features that never make it into the game, but early access games generally have to disclose the state of the game in early access, in a little "early access" disclaimer.  Most games accurately try to depict what the game is supposed to be like at launch, while many don't say specifically where the game is in its current state,  but, that's not really much different than SC.

EA games on steam, some have been in EA since early access was available, .. nearly 6 or so years... or soon to be.  I don't think SC is required more than any other developer that takes your money to deliver on anything.  SC's promise doesn't mean MORE because they took more money, they could easily lose it all, mismanage it, or never put out a finished product just like any other game, so I don't think there are any "failsafes" in place to combat that.

And KS chargebacks don't mean much either,  you can try, but if the money isn't there, it isn't there, there is no guarantee which is why I mentioned greedmonger, nobody received a refund, but the project head said he was "trying" to give people refunds, yet to deliver after years, but KS isn't liable at all. 
    Even Elite Dangerous, when they removed offline mode it pissed off enough people that after pressure they decided to grant refunds for who wanted them over it. There is a liability to deliver the title, and to be in the lines of its pitch, people do can resort to consumer protection on cases as that, and there are people who did that with SC over delays because the company has that liability to deliver the full product. This is not the same way steam early access works, not at all.
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    One thing I think we can agree on, is if this game never releases in a playable state there will be major oversite from complaints to Government agencies. Now if it was a few million involved, it may not be a big deal, but closing in on what now 200 million? People could end up going to jail for a Ponzi scheme.

Plus if it has taken them 200+ million to get to beta, how much more could it take to get to release? I know if I was connected to this company I would be a little worried if I don't get a working game released. 

It could also lead to laws being made to make it harder for KS or Crowdfunding any games. Government involvement is never a good thing. 
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Erillion said:
    Scroll upthread. Read what people wrote. Realize your mistake. They did not say what YOU think they said.

Every new post you make here about business models is based on your wrong perception about what others said.

BTW
    Still waiting for the quotes from the FAQ you claim to refer to. Third time I asked. Even posted the link to the FAQ for you. 

Have fun
    How about you tell me what you think you're reading because last I checked, you seem to think I missed something, and I'm not going to root around on web pages and read an entire thread to prove you're somehow correct, when what you told me is that the game is "Crowdfunding not F2P" 

that's quoted directly from you, persistence in trying to get you to understand the difference between development costs and an ongoing revenue stream has been difficult at best, Max Bacon also concluded that the box price is all you need to start the game, you don't need to purchase a subscription, it is not "crowdfunding" that isn't a payment model at all,  they are currently "crowdfunding" development, that again, isn't a payment model.. it isn't sustainable, and would infer the game would not be completed, ever, with no finished product.  The first link that came up when searching for payment model information is the snapshot of the FAQs from the wiki.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

Which also says at the bottom the pages are currently unavailable, explaining what the system is, and I'm not going to dredge through star citizens website looking for a piece of information regarding their payment model,  but you're welcome to post the FAQ that says their ongoing payment model is "crowdfunding"... which would be ridiculous and I think a lot of people would like to see that.
    So you are incapable of scrolling back to page 4 of this thread and equally incapable (or unwilling) to provide the quotes from the FAQ you claim to have as the foundation of your argument. You willingly and erroneously misquote what others had said in this thread, so it fits your narrative about paying for SC pre-Launch development and post/launch business model. 

In short ... you have .... nothing ... 

i am glad we had this chat.

Have fun 

• AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited August 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    How many will stay though? You know what they say about curiosity, eh?
    The currently estimated conversion of registered users into backers is around 30-40%. The numbers are public and there is complex graphs that analyze the growth and all that if you want I can look the link for you.
    I highly doubt those numbers are accurate and the data not manipulated in some way, especially considering the history of deceitful practices surrounding the company, but I'll take your word for it.

That having been said, do you genuinely think that the product you have now is a fair representation of what 150+ million in funding and nearly a decade of development time should produce?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    Scroll upthread. Read what people wrote. Realize your mistake. They did not say what YOU think they said.

Every new post you make here about business models is based on your wrong perception about what others said.

BTW
    Still waiting for the quotes from the FAQ you claim to refer to. Third time I asked. Even posted the link to the FAQ for you. 

Have fun
    How about you tell me what you think you're reading because last I checked, you seem to think I missed something, and I'm not going to root around on web pages and read an entire thread to prove you're somehow correct, when what you told me is that the game is "Crowdfunding not F2P" 

that's quoted directly from you, persistence in trying to get you to understand the difference between development costs and an ongoing revenue stream has been difficult at best, Max Bacon also concluded that the box price is all you need to start the game, you don't need to purchase a subscription, it is not "crowdfunding" that isn't a payment model at all,  they are currently "crowdfunding" development, that again, isn't a payment model.. it isn't sustainable, and would infer the game would not be completed, ever, with no finished product.  The first link that came up when searching for payment model information is the snapshot of the FAQs from the wiki.

Which also says at the bottom the pages are currently unavailable, explaining what the system is, and I'm not going to dredge through star citizens website looking for a piece of information regarding their payment model,  but you're welcome to post the FAQ that says their ongoing payment model is "crowdfunding"... which would be ridiculous and I think a lot of people would like to see that.
    So you are incapable of scrolling back to page 4 of this thread and equally incapable (or unwilling) to provide the quotes from the FAQ you claim to have as the foundation of your argument. You willingly and erroneously misquote what others had said in this thread, so it fits your narrative about paying for SC pre-Launch development and post/launch business model. 

Have fun 

whatever you say Mr. "It's not F2P it's Crowdfunding" 

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited August 2018
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:

BTW

Have fun

Have fun 

Once again .... slooowly ... for you:

It is not F2P.

pre-Launch development is being paid via a crowdfunding campaign. The first 1.2 % via Kickstarter, the other 98.8 % via CIG internal crowdfunding platform. You will find a few hundred gaming media articles about it, as well as a Guiness Book World Record in crowdfunding. 

Post launch business model: 
    a) Sell Squadron 42 Solo Game
    b) Sell SQ42 Story DLCs (two announced so far) 
    c) sell Star Citizen Persistent Universe B2P Buy (Once) to Play  starter packages (containing a starter ship)
    d) sell ship skins
    e) sell basic starter level ship modules and equipment (weapons, shield, missiles etc)
    f) Sell UEC (1000:1 conversion rate to dollar) 
    g) decorative items (e.g. Posters or Fish tanks for the hangar)

discussed but not confirmed recently (so currently considered non-official):
    h) short duration one use small effect tuning booster packs (e.g + 3 % speed) 
    i) player/modder  designed elements (e.g, clothing) a la Second Life 

Have fun 
    edited August 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    How many will stay though? You know what they say about curiosity, eh?
    The currently estimated conversion of registered users into backers is around 30-40%. The numbers are public and there is complex graphs that analyze the growth and all that if you want I can look the link for you.
    I highly doubt those numbers are accurate and the data not manipulated in some way, especially considering the history of deceitful practices surrounding the company, but I'll take your word for it.

That having been said, do you genuinely think that the product you have now is a fair representation of what 150+ million in funding and nearly a decade of development time should produce?
    The number has been stated by them, out of 1.4 million users they had 500k paying users at that time, that did put the conversion rate around 35%.

The game development has not been without its problems and failures, on things they even had to start from scratch, for both this 2 titles under dev,  we all would wish they would be further along by now, and so do the devs, but that was the pace of development as they were undertaking this project while they were also building a company from the ground up. To me, I don't find it unreasonable where they stand today all things considered.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:

BTW

Have fun

Have fun 

Once again .... slooowly ... for you:

It is not F2P.

pre-Launch development is being paid via a crowdfunding campaign. The first 1.2 % via Kickstarter, the other 98.8 % via CIG internal crowdfunding platform. You will find a few hundred gaming media articles about it, as well as a Guiness Book World Record in crowdfunding. 

Post launch business model: 
    a) Sell Squadron 42 Solo Game
    b) Sell SQ42 Story DLCs (two announced so far) 
    c) sell Star Citizen Persistent Universe B2P Buy (Once) to Play  starter packages (containing a starter ship)
    d) sell ship skins
    e) sell basic starter level ship modules and equipment (weapons, shield, missiles etc)
    f) Sell UEC (1000:1 conversion rate to dollar) 
    g) decorative items (e.g. Posters or Fish tanks for the hangar)

discussed but not confirmed recently (so currently considered non-official):
    h) short duration one use small effect tuning booster packs (e.g + 3 % speed) 
    i) player/modder  designed elements (e.g, clothing) a la Second Life 

Have fun 
    you still fail to realize that F2P.. and Crowdfunding... aren't even in the same categories.  But whatever you say lol

have fun

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited August 2018
    strykr619 said:
    OP is trolling ... Expecting a finished product when its still in an alpha prelaunch stage gives it a way 

2/10 for effort. 
    It's been in alpha for what, five years now? It was supposed to launch four years ago! I'm sorry, but the whole 'it's an alpha' excuse is patently ridiculous at this point. With the time and money they've had, there's absolutely no good reason why the game is in its current state. None. 

Bah, forget it. Five years from now you people will be using the same excuse to dismiss complaints, and calling everyone who has an opinion of the game different than your own 'trolls'. 
    Not quite. They will say it’s beta.
    Nilden
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    MaxBacon said:
    The number has been stated by them, out of 1.4 million users they had 500k paying users at that time, that did put the conversion rate around 35%.

The game development has not been without its problems and failures, on things they even had to start from scratch, for both this 2 titles under dev,  we all would wish they would be further along by now, and so do the devs, but that was the pace of development as they were undertaking this project while they were also building a company from the ground up. To me, I don't find it unreasonable where they stand today all things considered.
    Fair enough. 
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    MaxBacon said:
    That cap was irrelevant to the money you could put in the game, it was just how much paid currency you could hold at one time, you can easily spend it and buy more, the total cap (the 750) was always the one that stood over that, why would that cap be the deal maker or breaker is beyond me.
    You could only spend 125,000 UEC at a time though, now you can hold 750,000 UEC and spend it all in one go. That will give a person a much larger range of goods to spend their money on, it will mean they can hire a larger crew and equip a much larger ship straight away etc which is something the previous cap was going to stop.
    You can hold an infinite amount. There is no max amount you can hold at a time. There is only a max per account per month you can buy. Which like we pointed out, is not really a limit at all. All you need is the minimum package for as many accounts as you want and your bank account becomes the limit.
    And as has been pointed out numerous times before - based on experience from other space games - the moment the players figure out the trade system, they will earn so much money in game (millions, billions, (trillions ?)) that any 1000:1 conversion from UEC to $ becomes obsolete and irrelevant. 

Which has also already been discussed here many many times. 

Have fun

Which is pure speculation
    ScotchUp
    edited August 2018
    Kefo said:
    Which is pure speculation
    If there is something I've learn from every MMO, is that there is always people who can grind ridiculous amounts of money in shorts periods of time.

Never, ever, underestimate meta-gaming on stuff like this, it's like Destiny with the mob spawn spots unlimited profit extravaganza, it always happens \o/
    Kyleran
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited August 2018
    The only thing that matters is what the money will be worth in relation to what CIG decides the prices for goods are. Everyone keeps talking about how 90% of the economy is going to be CIG controlled. So, it doesn't matter at all that some people grind vast amounts of wealth if the guy that blows all his money on currency can afford everything CIG has to offer. It actually diminishes the grinder (guy that plays the game for credits) and reinforces the RL purchaser of currency (the P2W guy).
    MaxBacon
    edited August 2018
    The only thing that matters is what the money will be worth in relation to what CIG decides the prices for goods are. Everyone keeps talking about how 90% of the economy is going to be CIG controlled. So, it doesn't matter at all that some people grind vast amounts of wealth if the guy that blows all his money on currency can afford everything CIG has to offer. It actually diminishes the grinder (guy that plays the game for credits) and reinforces the RL purchaser of currency (the P2W guy).
    How the hell does that diminish the grinder player? I actually benefits it, the AI controlled economy can control hyperinflation while the sinks do their job.

Player-driven economy on MMO's always leads to hyperinflation that devalues the currency a lot, that's when the grinder player is harmed because you end up forced to have to deal with ridiculously high prices that easily overcome your average earning rate.
    edited August 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    How the hell does that diminish the grinder player? I actually benefit it, the AI controlled economy can control hyperinflation while the sinks do their job, player-driven economy on MMO's always leads to hyperinflation that devalues the currency, that's when the grinder player is harmed because you end up forced to have to deal with ridiculously high prices vs your average earning rate.
    If the people that buy currency can buy everything, the grinder's money becomes extraneous. The market won't matter and being rich won't matter. There is no reason to have the money if everything is cheap enough for the P2W guy.

It's an impossible balance for them to hit. Since they have control over the prices of items, they won't want to make the buyers of currency upset. Remember, they are the people that keep the lights on and it is stated that currency sales are a primary way of maintaining income.

It looks like you have some fantasy where they will do all of these little market manipulations to control inflation and the such. They won't, not only because it's very difficult to get right, but because it would piss off the players as well.
    edited August 2018
    If the people that buy currency can buy everything, the grinder's money becomes extraneous. The market won't matter and being rich won't matter. There is no reason to have the money if everything is cheap enough for the P2W guy.

It's an impossible balance for them to hit. Since they have control over the prices of items, they won't want to make the buyers of currency upset. Remember, they are the people that keep the lights on and it is stated that currency sales are a primary way of maintaining income.

It looks like you have some fantasy where they will do all of these little market manipulations to control inflation and the such. They won't not only because it's very difficult to get right, but because it would piss off the players as well.
    You're assuming it will be cheap enough to buy, again same talk, there is stated to be a big disparity on in-game pricing, from thousands to millions, the rate won't be cheaply based on anywhere near end-game earning rates that we could bet on.

The game has its own earning rate, the hyperinflation hurts the grinder more because the earning rate on what the game gives you, will overall stay the same, creating the ridiculously high prices against earning rates that in many MMO's is like up to hundreds of hours invested just to buy one item.

Inflation to me is easier to control with AI-driven economy, than with player driven economy, with them setting pricing and earning rates they stand greater control to deal with things that tend to destroy any balance; remember inflation is also bad for the microtransaction, as it's not a dynamic rate (like GW2 conversion of gems to gold) the currency losing value will make the microtransaction more and more expensive.
    edited August 2018
    MaxBacon said:

It looks like you have some fantasy where they will do all of these little market manipulations to control inflation and the such. They won't not only because it's very difficult to get right, but because it would piss off the players as well.
    You're assuming it will be cheap enough to buy, again same talk, there is stated to be a big disparity on in-game pricing, from thousands to millions, and as said, the rate won't be cheaply based on anywhere near end-game earning rates that we could bet on.

The game has its own earning rate, the hyperinflation hurts the grinder more because the earning rate on what the game gives you, will overall stay the same, creating the ridiculously high prices against earning rates that in many MMO's is like up to hundreds of hours invested just to buy one item.

Inflation to me is easier to control with AI-driven economy, than with player driven economy, with them setting pricing and earning rates they stand greater control to deal with things that tend to destroy any balance; remember inflation is also bad for the microtransaction, as it's not a dynamic rate (like GW2 conversion of gems to gold) the currency losing value will make the microtransaction more and more expensive.
    The whole point is that because CIG is controlling 90% of the economy, hyperinflation won't even be an option. They are the ones that decide the prices. You are still thinking in terms of an open market. This is not that. This is CIG determining the value of currency and determining the value of items for 90% of the market.

Again, this is not an open market like other MMOs. The P2W mechanics that allow people to purchase currency is one of their primary forms of income. I don't know for sure whether they will price things out of reach of the guy that spends $750/month on 5 accounts, but if they did, they would be idiots.
    edited August 2018
    The whole point is that because CIG is controlling 90% of the economy, hyperinflation won't even be an option. They are the ones that decide the prices. You are still thinking in terms of an open market. This is not that. This is CIG determining the value of currency and determining the value of items for 90% of the market.

Again, this is not an open market like other MMOs. The P2W mechanics that allow people to purchase currency is one of their primary forms of income. I don't know for sure that they will price things out of reach of the guy that spends $750/month on 5 accounts, but if they did, they would be idiots.
    They would be idiots if they made it cheap, with a disparity from thousands to millions, to have the rate cope with the high earning rates of the game, they would risk a situation where buying a ship by buying currency like Aurora, Freelancer or such would end up being some 5$ bucks, that's just not going to happen, the rate will have to be balanced on the average, neither too low neither too high.

The open market thing is also speculation because we know the pricing of X and Y, but then we start seeing some degree of crafting and production of resources owned by players themselves, potentially looking at trade outside the scope what is sold or bought by the game itself, between players/guilds.
    MaxBacon said:

Again, this is not an open market like other MMOs. The P2W mechanics that allow people to purchase currency is one of their primary forms of income. I don't know for sure that they will price things out of reach of the guy that spends $750/month on 5 accounts, but if they did, they would be idiots.
    They would be idiots if they made it cheap, with a disparity from thousands to millions, to have the rate cope with the high earning rates of the game, they would risk a situation where buying a ship like Aurora, Freelancer or such would end up being some 5$ or 10$ bucks, that's just not going to happen, the rate will have to be balanced on the average, neither too low neither too high.

The open market thing is also speculation because we know the pricing of X and Y, but then we start seeing some degree of crafting and production of resources owned by players themselves, potentially looking at trade outside the scope what is sold or bought by the game itself, between players/guilds.
    It is speculation. The 90% number is speculation that fans had come up with at some point to defend against P2W arguments by saying that purchasing currency doesn't even matter because CIG will be in control of the economy. Are you saying that CIG will not be controlling 90% of the market?

And the problem with your last hypothesis, the one where you say players will be crafting and trading, if CIG does take a 90% share of the market, they could have set a ceiling on those crafted goods by having them available for purchase at whatever price they decide on. This would allow the purchasers of currency to be able to afford the goods and likely hurt very badly anyone that wanted to do crafting. The situation with P2W currency is very difficult to balance for (assuming you want a player economy in there somewhere).

BeansnBread said:
    It is speculation. The 90% number is speculation that fans had come up with at some point to defend against P2W arguments by saying that purchasing currency doesn't even matter because CIG will be in control of the economy. Are you saying that CIG will not be controlling 90% of the market?

And the problem with your last hypothesis, the one where you say players will be crafting and trading, if CIG does take a 90% share of the market, they could have set a ceiling on those crafted goods by having them available for purchase at whatever price they decide on. This would allow the purchasers of currency to be able to afford the goods and likely hurt very badly anyone that wanted to do crafting. The situation with P2W currency is very difficult to balance for (assuming you want a player economy in there somewhere).
    The 90% comes because they want the game to be populated by that ratio of AI against players, part of the core pitch of SC, it was this back then and still is today, is that the AI is actually "living", they move around, from traders to pirates and all that being simulated on the servers.

Don't take it as 90% share is on everything, it will imply what they decide to put under the AI control where the pricing and all is stuff the players can influence little, and doesn't feel to me they'll do everything because as long there's ability to trade between players, they could work with their own prices. It's like those MMO's where the AI buys and sells at fixed prices, but when players gather/craft they can do direct trades for their own prices.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    If the game is a fraction done, plays like shit and has little completed content, why even invite people to play at this point?  I mean, I understand allowing people to play who have already given money.  It's too late for them.  But who is going to say "Wow, so far, this game is a steaming pile of shit.  Take my money!"  Did they make this move way too early?  Or is it possible that they've blown through their money with their multiple studios and 1,000 developers on this hugely bloated mess of a game and are getting desperate for fresh blood?
    JeffSpicoliKyleranFrodoFraginsScotchUp
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    What amount of hand-holding is required in your opinion so people won't get somehow offended over a goddamned free demo? 
    All they need to do is say "pre-alpha, this game is not finished and is still in development."

done.

Anyone who complains after that ... well that's about "them."
    Fair enough. 

Star Citizen Free Fly Weekend announcement and articles

Source: robertsspaceindustries.com

"If you are new here, welcome!  If you're returning after a long absence to check out new changes..." "...To help get you oriented, check out our overview of the game."

Gameplay Guides

Overview of the game

"Star Citizen is in active development. You can download and play Star Citizen Alpha 3.2 now. Additional features and updates will be released as they are developed."

Start Your Journey Today

Source: pcgamer.com 

"...A section of the game is playable, as well as a number of ships such as the MISC Prospector, the Drake Dragonfly, the Aegis Avenger Titan, and the Drake Cutlass Black. In terms of the gameplay areas, you'll have a chance to try out some of what was added in the Alpha 3.2 update including multiplayer support for 50 people simultaneously. Also new to the game in Alpha 3.2 are more armour suits, a Kiosk system that lets you purchase items with in-game currency, and more weapons. You can see the full Alpha 3.2 patch notes here."

Source: usgamer.net

"There's a lot of drama surrounding Star Citizen, from lawsuits to delays, but if you're interested in checking out what the hubbub is all about you can try the latest Star Citizen Alpha this weekend for free."

Source: eurogamer.net

"Controversial space sim Star Citizen is currently free to try on PC, if you fancy taking to the heavens and seeing what development progress has been made in recent times.

Star Citizen's Gamescom Free Fly weekend runs from today, August 24th, to Monday August 27th, and offers access to the game's latest Alpha 3.2 build, as well as dogfighting stage Arena Commander and first-person shooter module Star Marine."

Source: rockpapershotgun.com

"...The game is currently up to version Alpha 3.2, and this page has an overview of what they’ve recently added. Mining, mostly, which I personally have no interest in, but it might be tempting for EVE Online regulars."

Source: pcgamesn.com

"Should you decide to go for a spin, you’ll be able to see the Star Citizen Alpha 3.2 build teased during the PC Gaming show at E3 earlier this year."

Source: mmorpg.com

"...
    While the Alpha version of the game is available to download and play now, Star Citizen is currently in active development with new planets, ships, and features being added as production continues. "

It took me 2 minutes to gather the above info and paste here. Are you really saying that anyone, ever, has been vague about how this game is still in development and not finished? Come on mate. Many of the posts and speculations are about how this game is a vaporware and never will be finished. 

It is fine to hate SC, to think it is trash, to ignore it, to bash the backers for giving away their monies for vaporware. All of that is alright in my book. More power to everyone. 

But to complain why we are given a free demo but didn't receive proper instruction of what it really is--at the age of internet and thousands of posts, articles, pages of information and videos--is just plain ignorance. And I'm not sure how you ended up defending that! :)

We've been arguing about "buyer beware" for a few years now. Now we have to argue about "free demo downloader beware". 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    If the game is a fraction done, plays like shit and has little completed content, why even invite people to play at this point?  I mean, I understand allowing people to play who have already given money.  It's too late for them.  But who is going to say "Wow, so far, this game is a steaming pile of shit.  Take my money!"  Did they make this move way too early?  Or is it possible that they've blown through their money with their multiple studios and 1,000 developers on this hugely bloated mess of a game and are getting desperate for fresh blood?
    I remember you once wondered about pledging and getting into the game during development. And I think @Erillion told you how there are going to be fly free weekends and you can check out the game. And I believe I personally offered you how you can use my account to test out the game. :P 

To find the answer to your question, which is a valid question, you can download the free demo and give it a good try. Then put your own experience against all that you read about SC so far and observe the effects of the demo on yourself. 

Now here's a speculation. Perhaps, the demo is just about that. And maybe, there are people who've been thinking horribly about SC would know become more interested. And maybe, a few of them even convert. Those conversions equal money. 

It's not like they've been hiding their "trash game" at its "shit state". There are tens of thousands of backers with access to the game. The cat has been already out of the hat for many a year now. They're not afraid of people learn what SC is today. They want that to happen. Because a fraction will turn into backers. 

Anyways, that's just my own take. That's how marketing works. But here's the interesting part. Even if this is hurting them financially every time they do it, but they do it for the sake of transparency, then it is applaudable. 

Again, SC deserves many criticism. Availability of a free demo is not one of them. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Is this the longest "pre-alpha" in MMO history? They got a ton of kickstarter money, 500 people, and pre alpha after 4-5 years is all we get? Cmon man.
This discussion has been closed.