Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOFTW - Wowwy, wow, WoW! - World of Warcraft Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageMMOFTW - Wowwy, wow, WoW! - World of Warcraft Videos - MMORPG.com

We're back! Hopefully for good! This week's new MMOFTW (like, OMG, finally) is all about Just Survive's death, WoW's dominance, Bless Unleashed, Torchlight Frontiers, and Maplestory 2!

Read the full story here

Comments

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Woohoo Bill is back, great to see this segment running again..now back to WOW :)
    Thunder073
  • AbcynthAbcynth Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited August 2018
    Is it just me that feels a sense of calm after hearing Bill on these MMOFTWs with his catch phrase "...don't let a bad PUG get you down." Finally, all is right with the world once again :)
    Thunder073BillMurphyElvocScotJamesGoblinAlBQuirkyThahar[Deleted User]
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Dude I'm sorry about your mother in-law. Cancer freaking sucks. Sending prayers up to you and your family, Bill.
    BillMurphyJamesGoblinThupli[Deleted User]Thahar
    Isaiah 41:10
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Well I hope Bill is on some sort of even footing now, it does not matter if MMOFTW comes out sporadically, it only needs to come out now and then as a catch up of what's happening.
    JamesGoblinThupli
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    edited August 2018
    Nice to see you back in MMOFTW Bill,

Torchlight has definitely got my attention so hopefully it will have a consumer friendly, non P2W payment model which if it does I’m in.
    Thupli
    edited August 2018
    One thing WoW's 14 years prove is that the graphics first development of MMOs and indeed gaming, made even worse by streaming is cart before the horse. What needs to come first is gameplay, without that you have a pretty but lame duck.

Bless, what do you do when you have an IP that is now considered very questionable and needs a lot of work to get its core gameplay up to scratch? Start developing another Bless game of course! Presumably the suckers players from the first one will fall for this all again.

Are there any big headed children in Maple Story that are boys? I could not work that out from the video?

And make sure you never let a bad co-op group, oops PUG get you down! :)
    JamesGoblinTuor7
  • Hell26Hell26 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited August 2018
    Nice
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Shlep Rock says "Wowszy Wowszy Woo Woo"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Scot said:

One thing WoW's 14 years prove is that the graphics first development of MMOs and indeed gaming, made even worse by streaming is cart before the horse. What needs to come first is gameplay, without that you have a pretty but lame duck.

Bless, what do you do when you have an IP that is now considered very questionable and needs a lot of work to get its core gameplay up to scratch? Start developing another Bless game of course! Presumably the suckers players from the first one will fall for this all again.

Are there any big headed children in Maple Story that are boys? I could not work that out from the video?

I agree 100% but Wow did not achieve this,imo it failed both at graphics and gameplay.
    I would not be so bold as to lay claim that other mmorpg's are doing it much better but a little better..yes.

All i need is a little bit to be better to jump to a different game and why Wow has never kept my interest beyond only playing because some friends were playing it.However in case of my fave mmorpg,imo it does pretty much everything better,so for me it is a no brainer.
    I am not even sure what the interest in Wow actually is...easier to get in ,easier to play,easier to learn?Ease of use with addons,easy to exploit easy to buy rmt,i seriously don't know how anyone with a straight face can say Wow does something really good.
    If i were to struggle hard to find something it does well,perhaps th quests "at times" are done pretty good but at the end of the day,a quest is a quest,nothing more than fetch me or run here and there.
    pantaro

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

Scot said:

I agree 100% but Wow did not achieve this,imo it failed both at graphics and gameplay.
    I would not be so bold as to lay claim that other mmorpg's are doing it much better but a little better..yes.

All i need is a little bit to be better to jump to a different game and why Wow has never kept my interest beyond only playing because some friends were playing it.However in case of my fave mmorpg,imo it does pretty much everything better,so for me it is a no brainer.
    I am not even sure what the interest in Wow actually is...easier to get in ,easier to play,easier to learn?Ease of use with addons,easy to exploit easy to buy rmt,i seriously don't know how anyone with a straight face can say Wow does something really good.
    If i were to struggle hard to find something it does well,perhaps th quests "at times" are done pretty good but at the end of the day,a quest is a quest,nothing more than fetch me or run here and there.
    You may not like the gameplay, but millions do; whereas I don't think either of us rate the graphics and we would be hard put to find anyone who does. That's the comparison I was focusing in on, I have played in better MMORPG's myself but if you think WoW is that bad I doubt you would like those either. :)
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    The biggest issue with H1Z1 was what it was. A mega-studio (Sony Online Entertainment) chasing a genre created by indie developers already seeded into minor saturation. Rust, 7Day2Die, and the ultimate one copied by H1Z1: DayZ.

They each had their quirks, but at the end of the day they were all aiming for the same fan/player base. [Note: I didn't mention Ark because it was Dino survivor instead of zombie. It was a lone act that did pull some survivor base building fans but the zombie and apocalypse fans it did not.]

But then H1Z1 put in a Battle Royal mode....and then split the game when it went from Alpha to Beta. For twice the cost (so from $20 for "both modes" to $20 each because "they're different games now!"). And as the BR mode grew in popularity, the zombie survivor mode shrunk into maintenance mode obscurity.

Zombie Survivor -> Zombie Survivor + Battle Royal -> Zombie Survivor OR Battle Royal -> Battle Royal.

A chase of popularity and fandom. Instead of making a good game better, they focused on chasing down the most stream-able game possible. Wanting that sweet spot in the top 3 most streamed games of the week on Twitch.

And the money that Sony threw at this game was ridiculous. You can tell they wasted money when they did the split to increase price as justification for the price. Instead of doing a sort of Minecraft thing in advance; which is to say they should have priced it cheap in the Alpha, let people know that would increase in the Beta, and then increase again at launch. This would justify the price increase without sudden hit and ensuing outrage because of it.

Foresight is not SOE's strong point. And whomever they brought over went going to Daybreak still failed at it. Just look at their abysmal handling of EverQuest Next and Landmark. The engine was never feasible for more than 20 people in an area and they expected to make that into an MMORPG?! Um, no. It was a cash flip on assets that were unfortunately failed in practicality, no matter the shinny concept on the whiteboards. And the suffering of both fanbase and EQ's reputation will never recover.

Wizardry said:

Scot said:

Your opinion is moot against the numbers, pop culture references, spawned fandom, and overall longevity of the game. Like or not, WoW succeeded as the #1 supreme MMORPG of the last decade. And in all likelihood will continue that trend for a second one through 2024.

The game's easy graphics -although having been gradually upgraded each expansion post Cataclysm- are what makes it accessible to a massive consumer base. The gameplay, mostly designed around group activities such as dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, and open world questing, is a social experience that many enjoy with friends and guildmates alike. That gameplay design included with the overall simplistic combat helps solidify the base.
    pantaroTuor7

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Wizardry said:

Scot said:

Wizardry said:

Scot said:

Space bar is you friend. On that note who gives a fuck about your friends. They don t play WoW, nor do you , blah, blah, blah.
    Tuor7
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Wow's continued dominance speaks to the 14yr failure of every other developer. Wow was amazing at launch but this expansion is mediocre at best. Says a lot about the state of the mmo genre.
  • shimochanshimochan Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Yes! Please continue with these news videos, i missed it!