Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There was just a shooting at the Madden NFL 19 stream of the tournament in Jacksonville

ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
All I can say is WTF!

“The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
George Carlin
El-HefeTruvidien88

Comments

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    You can see the red dot on him just before the first shot. Prayers go out to all! Scary world we now live in.
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    ScotchUp said:
    You can see the red dot on him just before the first shot. Prayers go out to all! Scary world we now live in.
    noticed when u sayed. aiming black guy. why shoot gamers? gain nothing from it.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    the news says four dead :(
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    I clearly live in a "land of confusion."

Some of the stronger candidates in Tuesdays Florida primary are openingly running on a platform of supporting the NRA and opposing gun control.

Wonder if it will still be running after today?

ScotchUpmaskedweasel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Story I heard was he was a player in the tourney, lost, went and got his gun and started shooting?
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    There ya go proof positive that gaming kills. No one should be allowed to own a PC or Console. Game Lives Matter!
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:
    There ya go proof positive that gaming kills. No one should be allowed to own a PC or Console. Game Lives Matter!
    Oh man please put kidding below that comment, there are actually people out there that would say yes to that.
    George Carlin
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Early, unconfirmed reports saying it was a competitor who lost, shot others then turned the gun on himself.

Great weapon check system they got there in the place.

You stay sassy!

While I do not support the NRA because they are too political, I do support everyone's right to arm and defend themselves.  All you have to do is look at Chicago and see what happens when you take away the guns from law abiding citizens.  I live in a town where we have 1.4 million people where the typical response time to a 911 call is 42 minutes.  The county sheriff here warns everyone to do what they need to do to protect themselves because the police services are stretched too thin.

Is it a sad event that happened in Jacksonville?  Absolutely.  Does it mean we need a knee jerk reaction to ban guns?  Absolutely  not.  Bad things happen to good people.  You punish the criminal(s) involved.  You don't punish the masses because of it.

That is like taking away everyone else's vehicles because someone intentionally drives into a crowd and murders a bunch of people.  The reaction just does not make sense.  
    I could not agree more and there are a lot of facts to back up every word you said.
    jimmywolf
    George Carlin
    edited August 2018
    ScotchUp said:
    While I do not support the NRA because they are too political, I do support everyone's right to arm and defend themselves.  All you have to do is look at Chicago and see what happens when you take away the guns from law abiding citizens.  I live in a town where we have 1.4 million people where the typical response time to a 911 call is 42 minutes.  The county sheriff here warns everyone to do what they need to do to protect themselves because the police services are stretched too thin.

Is it a sad event that happened in Jacksonville?  Absolutely.  Does it mean we need a knee jerk reaction to ban guns?  Absolutely  not.  Bad things happen to good people.  You punish the criminal(s) involved.  You don't punish the masses because of it.

That is like taking away everyone else's vehicles because someone intentionally drives into a crowd and murders a bunch of people.  The reaction just does not make sense.  
    I could not agree more and there are a lot of facts to back up every word you said.
    Except every country on the planet that has stricter gun laws have fewer incidents like this. Often a single digit percentage of American gun violence stats.

The reason you have gun violence at these levels is because you have a gun culture. Stats prove this and any denial is delusion through propaganda. What makes propaganda so effective is that the citizens saturated by it rarely are able to see it as it shapes their perception, blinding them of statistically proven alternatives.

BTW, I do not feel that gun laws alone solves everything. It is a cross section of many cultural changes that is required to diminish this sort of outburst.
    KyleranmaskedweaselDragnelusjimmywolf

You stay sassy!

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    The Madden folks should move the gaming too Chicago.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited August 2018
    So sad and I think it says more about the state of our society than it does anything about gun control. You can't take losing a video game so you kill people? That's about as mental as it gets. The only way this should be a gun control issue is if this person should never have been legally sold a firearm. Otherwise this is all mental/social. Anyone who commits suicide has mental issues, so if you commit murder suicide you are really f'd up.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    edited August 2018
    Viper482 said:
    So sad and I think it says more about the state of our society than it does anything about gun control. You can't take losing a video game so you kill people? That's about as mental as it gets. The only way this should be a gun control issue is if this person should never have been legally sold a firearm. Otherwise this is all mental/social. 
    Cultural changes aside, the business should have had a weapon check system in place and likely controlled access to players far better. It sounds like this was taken all too casually. Several immediate planning options could have mitigated or stopped this.

The organizers are very likely going to face several lawsuits over failing to provide a safe environment and rightly so if they cannot prove they had planned for even less extreme incidents.

You stay sassy!

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    edited August 2018
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:
    So sad and I think it says more about the state of our society than it does anything about gun control. You can't take losing a video game so you kill people? That's about as mental as it gets. The only way this should be a gun control issue is if this person should never have been legally sold a firearm. Otherwise this is all mental/social. 
    Cultural changes aside, the business should have had a weapon check system in place and likely controlled access to players far better. It sounds like this was taken all too casually. Several immediate planning options could have mitigated or stopped this.
    It was at an open air mall.  On a weekend.  Nothing says don't shop here quite like searching family's for guns.  How were they supposed to know some asshole would show up and start killing people.  
    jimmywolf

I've got the straight edge.

edited August 2018
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:
    It was at an open air mall.  On a weekend.  Nothing says don't shop here quite like searching family's for guns.  How were they supposed to know some asshole would show up and start killing people.  
    Early reports say it was a competitor IN the game tourny. 

You can ALWAYS control access to something by first choosing where something is held to begin with.

Making excuses for failed vigilance is the first proof of incompetence.

How many times do gamers rage in video games before someone thinks, "Hmm maybe we should plan for this?"

How many terror events needs to occur across America (and FLORIDA alone) because someone should think, "Hmm maybe we should take a few moments to at least address the possibility?".

This is why I said immediate planning is required. You get everyone jumping on the "gun control and culture change" argument which does NOTHING for short term mitigation. Those are long term plans. 
    jimmywolf

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:koo
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:

You can ALWAYS control access to something by first choosing where something is held to begin with.

So theres no way dude could have run out to his car.  I apologize for.my ignorance.

edited August 2018
    There is a lot more to how kids are being raised than dealing with guns or making laws against or for them. Many feel it is the break down of the family which is causing the problems we are having today. 
    George Carlin
  • RedecRedec Member UncommonPosts: 43
    edited August 2018
    Gun laws are not the problem. It's people with no conscience that are the problem. Stop blaming the damn tool. People are the problem. I have been around guns all my life and never thought about just shooting someone because I lost a damn game. 
    ScotchUp[Deleted User]
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:

So theres no way dude could have run out to his car.  I apologize for.my ignorance.
    More excuses. Please never be part of planning events. You clearly consciously leave loopholes for disaster scenarios to occur. 

You stay sassy!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    ScotchUp said:
    There is a lot more to how kids are being raised than dealing with guns or making laws against or for them. Many feel it is the break down of the family which is causing the problems we are having today. 
    We have a society that doesn't believe in family values or spiritual values...We've taken God out of our schools and left our morality up to the individual.
    ScotchUpSiphaed[Deleted User]
    ScotchUp said:
    We have a society that doesn't believe in family values or spiritual values...We've taken God out of our schools and left our morality up to the individual.
    Exactly, which is why I worry for my grandkid's every day.
    Siphaed
    George Carlin
  • RedecRedec Member UncommonPosts: 43
    We made cocaine, heroin, and many other drugs illegal. Yet it's still used by so many. And lets not forget...murder is illegal. I think I will keep my guns to protect my family and myself from the likes of the people being raised with little to no morals.
    ScotchUp[Deleted User]
    ScotchUp said:
    Then exploring the breakdown of the family unit needs to be explored. This is also a long term process, and ignoring the current state of culture while planning events on "hopes and dreams" that disasters will not occur is naive.

Very likely not a single one of you will do anything productive toward making long term cultural changes to mitigate events like this one. Every single one of you however, can immediately impact how public events are planned and controlled by being vigilant, communicating and even participating in their planning and operation directly.

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:ooo
    El-Hefe said:
    El-Hefe said:
    Tamanous said:
    Viper482 said:

More excuses. Please never be part of planning events. You clearly consciously leave loopholes for disaster scenarios to occur. 
    I don't want to live my life walking on eggshells.
    Kyleran

Redec said:
    We made cocaine, heroin, and many other drugs illegal. Yet it's still used by so many. And lets not forget...murder is illegal. I think I will keep my guns to protect my family and myself from the likes of the people being raised with little to no morals.
    Do you carry your guns to movie theatres, restaurants, schools, work, etc?

Are you the low percentage of people who carry guns that actually use their guns during a terror event? It's funny how every says they would ... yet stats prove otherwise.

If every single person in America wore a gun 24/7 there would only be an escalation of violence. You don't get to ignore retaliation as a statistic. 

Statistics are amazing. They prove trends yet personal opinion trumps logic so propaganda will forever be a vastly superior tool over common sense. This is also a proven statistic.

You stay sassy!

This discussion has been closed.