Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to pre-order or pay for early access

2»

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    d_20 said:
    A lot of people say they have soured on pre-orders and early access, but clearly a lot of people still pay up before knowing what they are getting. 

Under what circumstances will you pre-order or pay for early access?
    I preorder any game i plan on buying that gives me a head start or early access because im a impatient man child. Although alot of companys like EA and UBISOFT are starting to really get even more sleazy then they already are by now forcing you to buy the collectors edition if you want to play early when a standard pre-order use to be good enough. In that case i don't pre-order jack shit.

Im not one for collectors toys or ingame mounts that a million other people will have, the extra's other than headstart or early  access mean nothing to me.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    If it is a game I intend to buy no matter what and play on day 1, I don't mind preordering, especially if I benefit from it. I'm rarely disappointed from those orders. If I dpm't plan to play day 1, then obviously won't preorder. A definite preorder for me would be Borderlands 3. Not sure if any others before that one.

I don't really do EA, but that is mostly because the games don't seem finished enough for me to play. There are some I have on my wishlist and one I was even thinking of getting, but didn't since I'm going on vacation soon, heh.

I've only done one kickstart, CU. It is taking as long as I thought, but I've gotten to the point that I don't really care about playing anymore lol. I doubt I'll ever do another kickstart, even if the last turns out wonderfully.
  • techblogger911techblogger911 Member CommonPosts: 18
    Early access is the way to go unless I have faith in the developer/franchise.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If I have a high degree of confidence the game is decent, if the pre-order is inexpensive, and if it grants me early access, then I will pre-order.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Early access is the way to go unless I have faith in the developer/franchise.
    But isn't "Early Access" something players pay for more often than not these days? I don't know as I don't "early access" anything anymore.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Never

/thread
    Scot

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited August 2018
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Never. They can't afford to get the game finished and out the door with their own money, they need to go back to selling snake oil on the corner.
    It's not just kickstarters. AAA games are all about the pre-orders and early access (head start), too.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    edited August 2018
    I would recommend you to go for Early access so that you can judge the game first and then buy it!
    but thats still buying the game. some release more expensive after its EA stage, most however hold teh same pricetag or always go to big discounts on a regular basis.

I would go EA when its in a discount stage and also try to get it so you have the chance to refund (steam has that chance) HOWEVER 14 days from purchase or 2hrs <--- bit meagre there should have at least 5/6hrs, 2hrs can be eaten trying to launch into these games so you usually only have 10-30 minutes to come to a decision which is too quick to judge but you MUST do so.

I have refunded but have also later on bought them again once they have improved (and have come to the same discount price i paid when i first tried it). Some i have not gone back to simply because those sucked azz bigtime.

P.S
    I would not even consider doing Kickstarters at all.

Pre-orders - I use this simply because some have nice pre-ordfer DLC's with them, and feel as if one has to buy them in this. Some of these DLC's later on get released for non pre order buyers to buy but also many dont. Its a 50/50 will they wont they sort of thing. It also comes down to the pricing too. If its too high or the DLC's sound sucky i wont bother i will wait for release.

In the end it does all come down to YOU and how you want to do things. If you think its worth buying into kickstarters (75% failures) or early Access (60% abandonments) or Pre orders (50/50 on whether the game is good or not) all depends on you. 
  • BealtorBealtor Member CommonPosts: 6
    Golden rule for preordering for me is to check a few main factories:
       1)  How early is the game, how many content is there. I don't want to pay money to be able to test the product, you should pay for when you believe is the content that's already there is worth at least half the price of what you are investing.
       2) What kind of benefits, bonus items, exclusive titles or premium currencies get when preordering the game. Just check the value, if it's worth to buy a cosmetic that says "Alpha", and if you will play the game for couple more years, would that have any meaning to you.
  • GustieGustie Member CommonPosts: 6
    I would only pay for the early access if it's clearly not a "pay to test the game" incentive. Big AAA companies pay people to test the games and these small devs ask you to pay yourself and help test the game you know.. haha 

It has to offer some value, the benefit of being one of the first players. That usually comes in consumables or costumes, and it is not worth for me personally. But pay to win game is also not a viable option for those who start early.. Uhh dilemma
  • JunebugircJunebugirc Member CommonPosts: 6
    I won't pre-order games anymore for that exact reason.  I used to back in the day, because I wanted to make sure that I always got my hands on the game as soon as it released. But sometimes you end up preparing for a game that turns out to be trash. 

That's hard to cope with when you saved up your money for it and could of got a better game with the money. :(
    d_20
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    d_20 said:
    A lot of people say they have soured on pre-orders and early access, but clearly a lot of people still pay up before knowing what they are getting. 

Under what circumstances will you pre-order or pay for early access?
    Never.  I wait patiently until I have a better idea of what I'm getting for my hard earned $$$$.
    d_20

I've got the straight edge.