Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why so much hate for SWTOR?

Comments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    So, ill preface this with i haven't played or thought about swtor in years. Some of the things i'm about to say could very well have changed in the years. When i gave SWTOR a shot, it has already went f2p. I was immediately turned off with the advantages paying players got. It was definitely in the p2w category of advantages instead of convenience.

Free players actually got REDUCED exp for instance which i thought was insane. It was the first f2p game that actively punished players for not paying. Usually in a game, a paying player gets more exp which is fine, but this game did that AND REDUCED exp for not playing too. It was ludicrous.

The other thing was that in order to get the good loot, you had to pay as well. Also you were limited in how many dungeons you could even do, same for pvp if i'm not mistaken. The entire list of advantages was just so egregious i stopped right then and there because the game wasn't worth the price when i could get just as much fun out of other games for cheaper.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Because we wanted a Star Wars MMO....
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    It's just a borefest thats all...  Was tolerable for 30 levels the first go around then... Bleh...
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    edited June 2018
    thunderC said:
    This game needs to die already so a new Star Wars MMO can be made 
    If the game shuts down, what makes you so sure that another one would be made?  This would be the second Star Wars MMO to shut down in the last 15 years. Many companies have lost a lot of money trying to enter this genre and many have taken notice. Even with WOWs success, Blizzard has shown no interest in making a sequal or any other MMO for that matter. 
    Post edited by ktanner3 on
    Kriggles

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Someones been digging into the past  :/

I self identify as a monkey.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    because the devs doesnt care about the game anymore. just want money money money.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    - I only like a few classes story wise (agent and BH). And even these fall short because beyond class story, in the expansions it becomes the same for any class mostly and destroys replayability.
    - I hate melee in this game (I usually play melee in a MMORPG).
    - The worlds, don't feel like worlds. Especially the city planets with their few disconnected zones. I started to hate those fake backdrops. Even Mos Eisley from old Star Wars Galaxies felt more convincing to me.
    - This game can make you feel lonely on those planets.
    - I hate that the central hubs is in space on those shitty fleets and that they let players run around on their huge mounts. It is ridiculously silly.
    - I hate the map system in this game. It is one of the worst I experienced in a MMORPG.
    - You can't be neutral.
    - A bounty hunter is just a class name. The bounty hunt system they introduced can be done by any class.
    - Another shitty housing system. Why do developers act as if housing in MMORPG is just for decorating?

But yeah, my main reason :

I really wanted to like it, but I just got bored quite fast. It has to do with how the classes play and how limited the planets feel. Even Kashyyyk from SWG feels more convincing then any SWTOR planet. 

I guess I was spoiled by preNGE SWG and late NGE SWG. SWTOR is a game on rails compared, with just better story. Just play through story once on both factions and you have seen it. The rest is just a polished shitty themepark.

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Its not SWG, if you are having fun enjoy it.

You can have fun with the girl down the street but once you go out with the HAG that make your toes tremble and you ,,,.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited August 2018
    filmoret said:
    Why do so many people hate this game?  I cannot understand it myself.  I find the game to be fun and the story to be good.  I'm not saying its the best game in the world by any means but its at least a 7-8/10.  So is your beef with the game something in your head or does it really exist?
    For a game to pay for fun, yes its fun despite the ridiculous grind that existed in vanilla swtor. 

However, that is for the single player as aspect.

The does fall short, and the problem is that it is a SW game. It is meant to be a place holder for SW games, at least in the MMO aspect, and it does fall short. That was at release.

A few years later, and they do not have that much content tagged to their game.

If you calculate all the money that was put into the game, and the end result, it make you see the game a bit too critically that its lacking based on what it could be, and a few years later is the same result, that once a person plays through the game, there is not much reason to go back.

However, for a new player, without the insane vanilla swtor grind, its a great game to introduce to someone.

Shortly after they might come to a similar conclusion that they have played the game, and there is not much to do.

Unless they enjoy repeating instances, playing fotm for pvp, or just being the under dog in pvp since its unbalanced.

It really is a shame that the game has become what it has since as stated it is a beloved IP, and its a placeholder for SW MMOs and even other games. For example if swtor was not an mmo, then it would be kotor 3, then after a few years they would have made kotor 4 etc etc

I could go into more detail, which I am guessing other people have pointed out in the game as lacking such as Ilum pvp etc etc

There are postives, sure, but people are comparing swtor as a large IP to other MMOs. And the question is, does it give similar value in gameplay? For example WoW expansions are much larger.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited August 2018
    My reasons.

. Character Models are bad
    . Cartel Crates, Can't obtain cosmetic items you want like in BDO just buying them.
    . Over-All Generic feeling when it comes to gameplay feels like WOW to me.

There needs to be a new Star Wars game using a good graphics engine made, it sucks that the Jedi Knight series just disappeared.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    aliven said:
    filmoret said:
    Why do so many people hate this game?  I cannot understand it myself.  I find the game to be fun and the story to be good.  I'm not saying its the best game in the world by any means but its at least a 7-8/10.  So is your beef with the game something in your head or does it really exist?
    Because game is wasted potential of a good SW game. And MMO. It is cash grab at this point, designed to milk those who are still playing. 
    EA's money grubbing makes it easy to hate this game. It was a wasted game as soon as EA touched it.
    NorseGod
  • KenlogKenlog Member CommonPosts: 6
    Because before the release the first phase of hype was built on single player star wars games which were great. And everyone else thought it will be awesome and epic like KOTOR (single player), but it offers half empty world and weird characters.
    Yes it's fine for a while, but jumping on the title it feels like they have tried to make profit off it not to make it a quality mmorpg. It lacks a lot of stuff from the good MMOs. :/
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    filmoret said:
    k61977 said:
    azarhal said:
    k61977 said:
    I think most people hated on SWTOR because it was designed more as a single player game than and true group play MMO.  Sure it has group elements but you could do most of them solo without much effort.  Other than that when the f2p hit it was the most restrictive of any game out.  It didn't really allow for much other than just seeing the stories, anything else was extra money.  They have pretty much dropped the whole idea of group play now it seems with the storylines they are creating.  No new OP or any of that stuff incoming any time soon.  For what it is it is a great MMO for getting away and just enjoying some lore and stories.  I resub to it all the time to see new content stories and relax a little.  I don't take this game serious at all, it is my get away game.
    SWTOR was not a very solo friendly game at launch, it wasn't that much solo friendly until 4.0 last year actually (3.0 Marauder was an agonizing experience might I add). The majority of players aren't elite players, SWTOR wasn't solo friendly to them. Lots of players had to group just to go through class story/planet storyline related bosses that were supposed to be soloable (I helped lots of guildies with that). Killing stuff took way too much time for the number you had to kill just to travel around. Alderaan had that random difficulty bump. Heroics and Flashpoints were not solo content even if some Heroics could be soloed by avoiding mobs (or overleveling) or "solo" Flashpoint by overleveling them. Only a few classes really had an easy time (tank and stealth). The story aspect had CO-OP support until they released KotFK last year too.

SWTOR wasn't originally designed as a single player game, the players played it like a single player game like every other MMOs they play because grouping with strangers sucks.
    It was very much solo friendly at launch for people that took their time and didn't try to rush through things.  The only people that I really remember saying it was hard were the ones that rush thru content skipping everything they could.  Those people didn't have good gear and normally were not prepared going into anything.  I remember going into the first flashpoint and having a guy show up with gear from the first couple quest still on.  It is those people that had hard times.

Marauders are my least favorite class to begin with for me.  I don't like melee at all really.  Melee classes had it rougher than all the others, that I will give you. 

Bounter hunters, sith inqusitor, sniper all finished up to 50 the first 6 to 7 months for me and I didn't really group all that much.  Hardly anyone I knew really grouped for anything other than a random heroic quest or instance.  Sorry the game was so hard for you but for many it just wasn't. 

4.0 pretty much just slammed the lid on not being single player game, as that is what it is now and they are not trying to hide it anymore with the release of the last xpac and the upcoming one in Dec.  They have basically turned this game into Kotor III now which to me isn't really a bad thing.

I agree with Azarhal here.  Yes there was like 2 classes where the game was easy but the rest struggled.  I had to keep all my modified gear updated like every 4 levels or I wouldn't survive 1 fight without using healing packs.  And that was with several different classes.  Rarely I could do a 2 person heroic but it was few and far between.  Not like it is now everyone can easymode all 1-55 content with the OP companion.  Even 4 person heroics.
    I also agree.  I did solo most of the content but I died a lot unless I used my stealth alts.  There were some puzzles that required two players to unlock so you had to group or wait for random players to come by to do that part. 

Now it's very solo friendly and you can level with pretty much any class you want.  Extra XP weeks are good because you can focus on the main quest lines.  The games ok overall which is why I still come back to it from time to time.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DarkFooriDarkFoori Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    Ghavrigg said:
    Game is, and will forever be a clunky, buggy mess because they botched development, and created their own shitty engine from another shitty engine. They focus so much on story at this point, because it distracts people from the shallow gameplay and they expect fans to return to see this shit, if for only a short time. 

Couldnt have said it better myself - its just a ultra casual game catering ONLY to SW fanboys - the very essence of what makes an mmo an mmo has long long gone from SWTOR (if it ever had one) and Ill never return ever exactly because of that.

Now its infested by pve server baddies and old farts that never ever contribute to anything making it online its just garbage filled with utter garbage.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,166
    edited May 2019
    Nice necro. I'll bite, because it was not SWG 2.0.
    Onomas
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    I think a lot of the hate specifically on this site stems from bitter SWG vets.  Their mmo got shut down and an mmo that they don't particularly enjoy replaced it.  

Personally, I enjoy SWTOR and go back to it at least once a year for a few months.  It is what it is and I have fun playing it.  
    This. You had a group of players that were still playing SWG who got the news that their game was being shutdown so that a new Star Wars MMO could be made. You also had a MUCH larger crowd of players that missed the version of SWG that they had before the NGE and wanted the new Star Wars MMO to be a similar sandbox experience. Neither crowd got what they wanted. So it was pretty much knives out for TOR from the very beginning. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    ktanner3 said:
    I think a lot of the hate specifically on this site stems from bitter SWG vets.  Their mmo got shut down and an mmo that they don't particularly enjoy replaced it.  

Personally, I enjoy SWTOR and go back to it at least once a year for a few months.  It is what it is and I have fun playing it.  
    This. You had a group of players that were still playing SWG who got the news that their game was being shutdown so that a new Star Wars MMO could be made. You also had a MUCH larger crowd of players that missed the version of SWG that they had before the NGE and wanted the new Star Wars MMO to be a similar sandbox experience. Neither crowd got what they wanted. So it was pretty much knives out for TOR from the very beginning. 
    NGE was still a sandbox. You just lost the skill system which resulted in 4-5 viable builds compared to a dozen viable builds in NGE. You still had the housing, storytelling, beast crafting, crafting classes, resource based economy, crafter economy, space economy. All the sandbox elements of the game remained. There's a reason more people play NGE private servers than pre-cu. Pre-cu is just everyone afk macro'd because theres nothing to do. 
  • RoleroRolero Member UncommonPosts: 24
    filmoret said:

I've tried the game after so many years and it has improved outstandingly, but it seems that you play solo. It is an MSO (Massive Solo Online). It has no chat bubbles and that kills the RP. It has no soul.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I played it at release and for some time thereafter. Actually, I played it pretty serious for a spell, being part of some server firsts.

The game has some cool parts to it.

But after a time it starts to get repetitious. Then it gets too repetitious to keep doing. For me anyway.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited January 2020
    I don't think it was "hate" for the game, but for the massive amount of shilling, prior to launch from people whom long since disappeared after release because the game didn't live up to the hype.

Pay close attention to what I said, because we're going to experience this again in the near future with another shilled to death game, not living up to the hype.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Loved the game when it first came out...even with the bugs. It got better as time went on. However, once I ran through all the story content with all the classes I only have "dailies" to run until fully bored. Ran "raids" with friends but those to became boring. Then they launched FTP. Played one month and quit.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    At launch there was hate because the game was largely seen as a very very expensive WoW clone that had non meaningful choices, and was an extremely linear MMORPG. The story was good, and still is worth playing because of that, but from what I remember the main reason it cost so much was the voice acting. 

It also really didn't help that SWG was shut down a week before launch, so you had a lot of anger surrounding what happened to that game and the players were upset that they expected them to go to this game. 

As of right now though, it's not a bad game, just really feels like a product of the time. Animations and combat feel super stiff, but the story is fun to follow. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Also it's Star Wars. Everyone both loves and hates anything Star Wars. Even Star Wars fans hate all but like the first two films. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I like SWTOR as a single player game, as an MMO it struggles.