Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Super Hero MMORPG Race

LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
So, I don't know about you guys, but I've been following this game for awhile. Talked with some guys, joined some Discords and, basically, sat on the fringes waiting to see how it unfolds.

I, like many others who are looking at this game, are old CoH/V players and I for one get some chills (Good ones!) At the thought of being to experience something similar once again.

However, I've noticed there like 3 other "Successors" in the works trying to fill that glaring hole in the market. Personally, I hope it's this one.

What do you folks reckon, are you going to go for this based on what's available or are you looking toward another "Successor"?

Comments

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    im looking forward to trying ship of heroes. im also gonna try the others as well. CoH was my first mmo and i loved it. im worried that the combat wont be smooth. looks clunky. but i will wait and see.
    Linif
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Moxom914 said:
    im looking forward to trying ship of heroes. im also gonna try the others as well. CoH was my first mmo and i loved it. im worried that the combat wont be smooth. looks clunky. but i will wait and see.
    Yeah, I was also concerned watching the Alpha Combat. The sound effects made me wince with that ancient "Pew pew" noise. However, I'm hoping a lot of it is just placeholders so they could test the underlying mechanics. For sure, I can't imagine they'd release it with combat looking anything like that  :D
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    personally I wouldn't get my hopes up for any of them in the near future.  I've been doing a lot more research lately, none of them are truly making headway fast enough or in good enough states that would bring these games even to a beta state by the end of the year.

These development studios are small indie, mostly volunteer developers. 

And SoH is still 3rd on my list out of the "4" of them, which, Heroes and Villains shouldn't even really be considered in the running at this point.
    Blaze_Rocker

• LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    What's your first and second, @maskedweasel ?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    All of the super hero games have been awful ,like really low budget cheap game designs,so for me there is no race,just a gamer watching more bad games incoming.
    Whjat i have noticed and seems VERY obvious is the oft mentioned first love or whatever terms you want to use,i see a lot of people loved COH and for what reason idk,it was a really bad game.However for many it was their go to game,so they live in that world what seems forever,looking for another rendition of that bad game.
    Super hero games are the proto typical idea of cashing in on ONE gimmick,almost zero game play but people love their heroes so will buy into whatever the game does even if very little.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Linif said:
    What's your first and second, @maskedweasel ?
    It depends on the week these days.  Valiance and City of Titans go back and forth,  but Valiance has an investor alpha right now, but updates are slow. City of Titans has a really original and above average direction for their game,  but depending on release information (which is scarce), I swap first and second place. 
    Linif

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I will try them all. But this one looks most promising so far (to me). 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    It doesn't matter which one is first.  Are any of them good is what matters.
    Scot
    Amathe said:
    I will try them all. But this one looks most promising so far (to me). 
    Why? Quite literally the only thing shown thus far that makes it even remotely different from the others is that it's on a ship...

It doesn't matter which one is first.  Are any of them good is what matters.
    If you base it off of current development, no. None of them are any good.  It would be tough to call any of them games in any form right now.

• DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I am getting a DCUO vibe from SoH with that character generator. I see bland, safe, human creations. Don't like it. I predict Cot will be the go to superhero mmo.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Why? Quite literally the only thing shown thus far that makes it even remotely different from the others is that it's on a ship...
    Plentiful updates. The contents of those updates. Impressive combat graphics that are steadily getting better. 

But bear in mind I am stating a subjective opinion, not an objective fact, as to my own preferences. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    edited August 2018
    What is the status on these games? I am already aware VO supporters have their torches out, what about the other two? I 'm of the opinion the next big superhero mmorpg will try something no superhero mmorpg has tried before or something nobody imagined like 2d or battle royale.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    It's like watching a race where it's a tortoise vs. a tortoise vs. a tortoise.
    NildenBlaze_RockerDabOnThem
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    It's like watching a race where it's a tortoise vs. a tortoise vs. a tortoise.
    Picture that is Super slow motion and give the turtles all capes. Nailed it.
    MightyUnclean

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/