Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warbringers: Azshara - World of Warcraft Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageWarbringers: Azshara - World of Warcraft Videos - MMORPG.com

The final Warbringers video from World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth has arrived, this time starring Queen Azshara. Many had hoped that her video would provide context for her part in Battle for Azeroth, but have found her origin story instead. This is, however, fascinating as it is the visual confirmation of her servitude to the Old God N'Zoth. What part the two will play in BfA remains to be seen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Beautifully done and brings the BfA elephant in the room, the Old Gods, into the thick of the expansion, though how they will affect the events remains to be seen.
    NephethMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• mikeb0817mikeb0817 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Gayme is pewp... where is talent tree progression? Class diversification? Crafting viability? ....
    SBFordFrodoFraginsinfomatz
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    "Raziel. You are worthy!"
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Wait, didn't Ion say that BFA was an expansion about the Horde vs. The Alliance? Can't wait to let bygones be bygones and partner up with the Horde to save Azeroth again. Teldarassil never happened.
    FrodoFragins
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Wait, didn't Ion say that BFA was an expansion about the Horde vs. The Alliance? Can't wait to let bygones be bygones and partner up with the Horde to save Azeroth again. Teldarassil never happened.
    I don't recall Blizzard saying that the entire focus would be on HvA or that Old Gods weren't going to be part of BFA. In fact, I believe a lot of that perception came from content creators. Besides, the title of the expansion is Battle for Azeroth, which is exactly what an Old God returning may entail, as Azeroth is currently "bleeding" from the wound left behind at the end of Legion. So, we the Horde and Alliance may end up battling for the future of Azeroth against N'Zoth, rather than for control of it.
    Nepheth
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited August 2018
    It was really obvious old gods were going to be a thing

Like this secret toy in BFA

https://www.wowhead.com/item=161342/gem-of-acquiescence#screenshots

or the old god worshippers in BFA

All the old god signs in Legion and even older expansions

One of the biggest ones in Legion was priest's shadow artifact talking about their being much bigger battles than Legion and to hurry up and finish to focus on much bigger things

My guess, about halfway through an entire new land will open between Zandalar and Kul'Tiras (people discovered the old god resides right in middle of the two islands) and the black empire will be reborn. We won't defeat it, but almost certainly will kill Azshara and then next expansion is black empire expansion

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2018
    I don't recall Blizzard saying that the entire focus would be on HvA or that Old Gods weren't going to be part of BFA. In fact, I believe a lot of that perception came from content creators. Besides, the title of the expansion is Battle for Azeroth, which is exactly what an Old God returning may entail, as Azeroth is currently "bleeding" from the wound left behind at the end of Legion. So, we the Horde and Alliance may end up battling for the future of Azeroth against N'Zoth, rather than for control of it.
    Blizzard very clearly signaled the expansion would be about the conflict between the factions.  The Old Gods will have BfA reeking of Legion 2.0 in terms of story if we end up "putting aside our differences" to confront it.  Double-lame points if Sylvanas ends up "sacrificing" to be a big part of the resistance.

They need to use the Old God's carefully here to keep players from feeling like they were misled about the focus of the expansion lore-wise.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    The colour,visuals and music...very nicely done.
    [Deleted User]SBFord
    Chamber of Chains
    edited August 2018
    Blizzard very clearly signaled the expansion would be about the conflict between the factions.  The Old Gods will have BfA reeking of Legion 2.0 in terms of story if we end up "putting aside our differences" to confront it.  Double-lame points if Sylvanas ends up "sacrificing" to be a big part of the resistance.

They need to use the Old God's carefully here to keep players from feeling like they were misled about the focus of the expansion lore-wise.
    They said that the conflict between HvA would be a major plot point, but they never said it would be the entire focus of the expansion. Players and content creators read into that too far, IMO. From a gameplay perspective, having a "common threat" has always been an easier way to create content for both sides, and it wouldn't surprise me if they continued using that method of creating conflict. However, they're also trying to reinvigorate the HvA aspect through open-world PvP, Warfronts, etc.

More than anything, I saw the shift to HvA to primarily include a separate narrative with more focus placed on it than in the past. Not to be the *entire* or *only* focus, as again, that was never stated to be the case by Blizzard.

I do agree with your overall sentiment, though. I too will be disappointed by another MoP-style ending.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Blizzard very clearly signaled the expansion would be about the conflict between the factions.  The Old Gods will have BfA reeking of Legion 2.0 in terms of story if we end up "putting aside our differences" to confront it.  Double-lame points if Sylvanas ends up "sacrificing" to be a big part of the resirtance.

Blizzard started preparing us for old gods around 1 year ago with Legion. And they talked about them again and again till BfA release. There were all those leaks and hints all over the place which Blizzard specifically put out. People who played the beta could clearly see that this expansion's focus is the old gods. And they only told that this expansion's "theme" will be the alliance vs horde. Not that our main enemy will be the other faction etc. I explained this again and again in this forum but some people insisted that this expansion is a pvp focused alliance vs horde expansion which will fail etc etc. I don't wanna name those haters specifically but they know themselves very well. They started to hint old gods with the first raid of Legion. And they were literally screaming their names with the Argus release. And after their BfA announcement with the Void Elves and the Lightforged Draneis as allied races it was super obvious. Every week we got at least a new leak about this in the beta. Just check out some youtubers about WoW lore and watch their videos from 4-5 months back. Every single one of them was talking about Old Gods nonstop..
    TheScavenger
    Nepheth said:
    Blizzard very clearly signaled the expansion would be about the conflict between the factions.  The Old Gods will have BfA reeking of Legion 2.0 in terms of story if we end up "putting aside our differences" to confront it.  Double-lame points if Sylvanas ends up "sacrificing" to be a big part of the resirtance.

Blizzard started preparing us for old gods around 1 year ago with Legion. And they talked about them again and again till BfA release. There were all those leaks and hints all over the place which Blizzard specifically put out. People who played the beta could clearly see that this expansion's focus is the old gods. And they only told that this expansion's "theme" will be the alliance vs horde. Not that our main enemy will be the other faction etc. I explained this again and again in this forum but some people insisted that this expansion is a pvp focused alliance vs horde expansion which will fail etc etc. I don't wanna name those haters specifically but they know themselves very well. They started to hint old gods with the first raid of Legion. And they were literally screaming their names with the Argus release. And after their BfA announcement with the Void Elves and the Lightforged Draneis as allied races it was super obvious. Every week we got at least a new leak about this in the beta. Just check out some youtubers about WoW lore and watch their videos from 4-5 months back. Every single one of them was talking about Old Gods nonstop..
    Yup. And I also posted multiple times...before BFA launch...even without playing beta...that there were so many hints in Legion (and even before) that it was obvious it was almost certainly going to be an old gods expansion...or azshara themed...or both.

Even mountain of hints in BFA as well with actual old god creatures scattered around (not including worshippers)

And like I said above...priest shadow weapon artifact in legion all but gave it away with what was going to be in BFA

edited August 2018
    Hints are fine and well, but every interview I've seen with Blizzard regarding the expansions touts its return to focus on the faction conflict, not battling the Old Gods.  I don't remember a single interview that even mentioned the Old Gods prior to release.  My post never implied we thought the expansion would contain only faction warfare stories, so I'm not sure why you would even bring that up as if it's my position.

However, you can't get around the fact that the hype of this expansion was focused squarely on how it would return to faction warfare.  That's just readily apparent.  From the now-famous BfA Human/Orc faceoff poster, to the pre-events, to the new mission table being faction warfare focused, to the entire reasoning for us doing ANY favors for Kul'Tirans or the Zandalari being to recruit them against the other faction.

That's why I said Blizzard needs to tread carefully with their role.  If we once again set aside the faction wars to band together against the Old Gods, we'll definitely be feeling like Blizzard pulled the wool over our eyes in a less than exciting way.
    jimmywolf

Hints are fine and well, but every interview I've seen with Blizzard regarding the expansions touts its return to focus on the faction conflict, not battling the Old Gods.  I don't remember a single interview that even mentioned the Old Gods prior to release.  My post never implied we thought the expansion would contain only faction warfare stories, so I'm not sure why you would even bring that up as if it's my position.

However, you can't get around the fact that the hype of this expansion was focused squarely on how it would return to faction warfare.  That's just readily apparent.  From the now-famous BfA Human/Orc faceoff poster, to the pre-events, to the new mission table being faction warfare focused, to the entire reasoning for us doing ANY favors for Kul'Tirans or the Zandalari being to recruit them against the other faction.

That's why I said Blizzard needs to tread carefully with their role.  If we once again set aside the faction wars to band together against the Old Gods, we'll definitely be feeling like Blizzard pulled the wool over our eyes in a less than exciting way.
    I was never implying it was your point, however, it was the point of the person I originally quoted which you responded to. So, in that vein, I was trying to explain that while Ion spoke a lot about HvA being a major plot point, he never said it was to be the only plot point and Blizzard even heavily mentioned and eluded to Old Gods in relation to BFA. Even further, it was said in interviews that Azshara would be the "Guldan" of BFA, possibly bringing back the Old Gods as well as potentially being a major raid boss.

MadFrenchieTheScavenger

Well, not saying its right to do a bait and switch. A lot of pvpers were hoping they would be heavily catered to, since every expansion really heavily focuses on PvE. But they did a lot with warmode, even though most people leave it off anyway.

But, I think old gods are such a big thing...probably 2nd to being that the light is actually evil and no different than the void...as seen by a naaru's treatment of illidan...

But old gods I think blizzard want(ed) to make a huge reveal out of and "surprise" everyone with it. And then lead to next expansion of old gods expansion, after battling and killing azshara. 

I think that was their intent, is old gods being "SURPRISE! biggest enemy thus far of the entire game". And then they can probably say the old gods were heavily influencing the horde vs alliance conflict or the conflict was working in their favor.

Probably makes pvpers unhappy since its not a pvp expansion...but blizzard's intent was probably wanting to surprise introduce the biggest enemy of WoW thus far. And they didn't want to reveal it since they wanted it to be a "big" reveal.
    MadFrenchie

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    One thing does not exclude the other. 

We could still be kicking each other six ways to sunday through the entire expansion, with the old god being the sort of dead mans grip. 

After all the HvA conflict can´t have a clear winner.. That is the only real drawback with the online version of Warcraft in my mind. Not smart to paint half of your playerbase as having lost, having to eat that.  
    EponyxDamor

This have been a good conversation

I was never implying it was your point, however, it was the point of the person I originally quoted which you responded to. So, in that vein, I was trying to explain that while Ion spoke a lot about HvA being a major plot point, he never said it was to be the only plot point and Blizzard even heavily mentioned and eluded to Old Gods in relation to BFA. Even further, it was said in interviews that Azshara would be the "Guldan" of BFA, possibly bringing back the Old Gods as well as potentially being a major raid boss.

thanks for the link. actually somehow missed the part that Azshara was going to be like Guldan but BFA style.

My guess as I said in one of the posts I made above...old gods will continue to be a thing through next expansion and this expansion is when they (or at least one of them) awakens.

I've not seen them mention the Old God's anywhere else with regards to BfA prior to launch.

I question the efficacy of their most recent lore-strategies.  They seem content leaving huge plot holes in-game that require you to leave the game to read about and fill.  They should've asked Bungie about that one and they would've saved themselves a lot of heartache.

If the Old God's end up being the focus of the expansion to the detriment of the faction conflict, it won't sit well with the general population who all went into this expansion thinking it would be the return to the faction conflict Blizzard had heavily made it out to be.

I've not seen them mention the Old God's anywhere else with regards to BfA prior to launch.

I question the efficacy of their most recent lore-strategies.  They seem content leaving huge plot holes in-game that require you to leave the game to read about and fill.  They should've asked Bungie about that one and they would've saved themselves a lot of heartache.

If the Old God's end up being the focus of the expansion to the detriment of the faction conflict, it won't sit well with the general population who all went into this expansion thinking it would be the return to the faction conflict Blizzard had heavily made it out to be.
    I agree that Blizzard hasn't been great at telling the entire story (or the major bits that give background/motivation) in the past ....

And it kinds of feeds in to that point, but the Old Gods (specifically N'Zoth) were prominently featured as the masterminds of the entire Illidan vs the Legion plot in the recent WoW Chronicles (vol 3). N'Zoth wanted a HvA war to start (the end of Legion) by removing the existential threat (the Legion) with Illidan.

MadFrenchieTheScavenger

I agree that Blizzard hasn't been great at telling the entire story (or the major bits that give background/motivation) in the past ....

And it kinds of feeds in to that point, but the Old Gods (specifically N'Zoth) were prominently featured as the masterminds of the entire Illidan vs the Legion plot in the recent WoW Chronicles (vol 3). N'Zoth wanted a HvA war to start (the end of Legion) by removing the existential threat (the Legion) with Illidan.

Definitely feeds into the point!  That makes their underlying presence in BfA make so much more sense.  I just wish they weren't pulling the ole Bungie with the lore. :(
    EponyxDamor

Definitely feeds into the point!  That makes their underlying presence in BfA make so much more sense.  I just wish they weren't pulling the ole Bungie with the lore. :(
    I'm somewhat willing to give them a pass at this point, as I do think they're trying to include more storytelling in-game; I think they've done a fairly decent job of that in BFA, especially compared to the past.

After all, the Warcraft franchise is 14+ years old and has a lot of lore at this point (a lot of it retconned, too). There's only so much they can reasonably include in-game. I do hope they will make the N'Zoth plot line a bit more prominent as it becomes more relevant.
    edited August 2018

I'm somewhat willing to give them a pass at this point, as I do think they're trying to include more storytelling in-game; I think they've done a fairly decent job of that in BFA, especially compared to the past.

After all, the Warcraft franchise is 14+ years old and has a lot of lore at this point (a lot of it retconned, too). There's only so much they can reasonably include in-game. I do hope they will make the N'Zoth plot line a bit more prominent as it becomes more relevant.
    I do understand the woes, but feel like they could at least give us a way to access those lore items in-game.  A quest to the SW library contains a "tome" or "report" describing recent events.  It wouldn't have to be elaborate; right-click the tome, read the short stories Blizzard has been releasing outside the game in prep for BfA.  It would be an optionally organic way to help players inform themselves.  As far as I know/noticed, they aren't available in that manner.

I dislike having to leave a game to understand the game's story or lore.  It seems counter-intuitive to immersing myself.  But again, Warcraft lore is very long in the tooth, so I can forgive it being confusing as times.
    EponyxDamor

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Well, that was rad.
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Not a big follower of the lore but my question is in this HvA thing is what happens if one side wins...how does it go on the other being defeated. Would make more sense is some thing was using the war to there advantage.
    Not a big follower of the lore but my question is in this HvA thing is what happens if one side wins...how does it go on the other being defeated. Would make more sense is some thing was using the war to there advantage.
    Probably one reason actually it would be impossible for there to be a REAL horde vs alliance 100% PvP expansion

There'd be a losing side, most everyone would join the winning side and the faction imbalance would be insane. The cries of favoritism would be at an all time high. One side is gonna be filled with angry posts. And it probably actually really truly would kill WoW.

Or no one wins, and its a waste of everyones time and no one comes out happy either. Though 100 times better than a true winning side...just be super boring and lame when no one wins.

Hence why can never have a true horde vs alliance expansion...
    Keushpuppy

• MetroboMetrobo Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I can't wait to see over all wrap up of the expansion as a whole as far as story and lore are concerned. I may not play WoW but i am very invested in the story as a person whose cousin got him playing Warcraft back in the day.
    SBFord